• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

*~*~*~*...us Bipolar exsperts on managing skills...*~*~*~*

hyperken

Oct 11, 2006
✟15,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I had read the book titled "The purpose Driven Life" by author Rick Warren, I found out a way to reduce the sensitivity of our emotion especially for us bipolar disorder with extreme mood swings.

According to the book, he quoted an example of bible (New testament) on how Paul manage his own emotion when he met all sort of extreme including soaking in the sea for days and nights.

When disastrous events happened to him, he switched his focus on Jesus Christ, his mission given and God's promise which is our eternal life in heaven without tears, evil and sorrow etc when God's Kingdom comes.

Besides that, the author had given indirect ways of reducing our emotion unstability by looking at our trials (includings all the ways how the not so kind person treat us or the other way round). We will only grow up and get out of the "emotional games" once we know that every unfortunate things happened to us was indead filtered by our Dearest Father in heaven. HE did promises us not to give us burdan which we can never bare. If it happens like that HE also promised us, HE WILL make A PATH for us to get through it.

I realized that when we keep looking at our past and present, we can never move on on our life. We stucked there forever! When we keep on thinking that we are hurt, sad, unsatisfactory and etc... We are looking at our pain and NEVER will look at the blessing and grace which God has given us freely.

There was NO ACCIDENT in God's master plan. Each incident are carefully shaped to purify our character for His own purpose in our lifes. Since our ancestor Adam and Eve had fallen the trials in Eden garden, sin was brought in our world. we all carried the imperfect image of God (Remind: We are created in HIS own image) because of the origin sin.

Do we still remember how God had strengthen Paul's weakness? What did bible tells us in Philippians (4:13) ?
"I CAN DO EVERYTHING THROUGH HIM WHO GIVES ME STRENGTH"(NIV)

I wish that we all have our little faith in these bible verses. God Kept HIS promises, why dont we make a commitment with God on this as well? We trust God and have faith in HIM, and SHALL have PEACE in our mind. Jesus had left peace on us before HE went to heaven.

We as believers (For christians) Should believe and have more faith on His words (THE BIBLE) and we will eventhroughly get our mess out of this "emotional games"(Or at least nearer to the plan of God).

Let's pray together In Jesus's most precious name. Amen.:groupray:

*I wish that we all get the "light" out of the darkness.:amen:

Upvote 0

soundsalive

Apr 5, 2007
Connecticut
✟7,708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nice post ken.

I have somthing I do, that is a god sent therapy.
MUSIC!!
I play a little guitar, or keyboards....the evoked emotion from music never changes despite our life variables...that's what I love about it...we have problems with our emotions but a G chord is a G chord, it's going to evoke the same emotion everytime!!

Upvote 0

OneOfHisOwn

Apr 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
✟15,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I deal with that as well. Certain music especially can send me into mania and some very "strange" states of mind. That is really painful - I love music and used to sing and play the guitar in a Christian folk-rock band back in the 70's-80's... I really feel a great loss about it all... but as many have said in this thread ...
reading the scriptures or other good books
listening to "soft" music (only if not borderline manic)
... not good at coping still ...
I will try some of what has been noted in this thread.
Glad to find some believers who are coping with this illness. I am not doing too well right now. ... but hoping to get better.

Upvote 0

Sobolewski

May 9, 2007
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What are your views on medication as a christian:thumbsup:. I spent many years struggling and believing that God would heal me of Bipolar Disorder and continued to stop taking my medication and ended up in hospital three times. I have been taking my medication for three years now and have continued to stay reasonably stable. I believe that God can also use the medical profession to help us. I now look upon this as a clinical imbalance which requires medication in the same way as a diabetic requires insulin. I would also highly recommend counselling and also the book 'Captivating' for women and 'Wild at Heart' for men. Captivating in particular helped me to realise how amazing women are in creation. 'Wild at Heart' is the same for men. I think if you can focus on that it does help.:amen:

Upvote 0

MyHeart07

Bride of The King
Jan 4, 2007
Montreal
✟23,360.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
What are your views on medication as a christian:thumbsup:
Medication is absolutely essential in my opinion (as well as many others).

My doctor has put me on lithium as a mood stabilizer and if I were not on it my life would be a nightmare (even though it's still difficult - I've been pretty depressed these days). :cry:

Upvote 0

Sobolewski

May 9, 2007
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for that. I agree about medication being essential. I used to think there was such a stigma attached to being a christian and being on medication. However, I believe God has really helped in bringing me to a place of acceptance and the fact that he loves us no matter what. I pray that you feel less depressed soon. The downfall I have found with medication is that I put on three stone and that is depressing in itself. However, I am trying really hard now to lose that again now that I am becoming more stable.

Psalm 55 v 22

Upvote 0

goldenviolet

Holy is the Lord God Almighty
Nov 28, 2004
Salem, Oregon
Visit site
✟62,074.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
bumping up for more skills input; and to share with a friend who needs ideas on things to keep ocupied with :hug:

i got a new one: being in the big brother/sister or grandparent's program. awesome! ^_^ ... being there for a struggling younger person is very neat. so many benefits it's hard to pinpoint them all. it's the talking, horsing around, everything. :)

volunteering at an amimal shelter or thift store. ;) woohoo!

Upvote 0
A

Alaskamomma

What helps me is going to a bookstore and just looking at all the different kinds of books (but not buying them.)

ALso taking walks underneath the birch trees. I love to hear the wind rushing through the limbs and leaves... it sounds like a sweet serenade to me.

DOing something with my kids (if I am not too manicky) and watching them laugh and have fun. Their laughter and smiles really do help me.

Baking. I find that I create the most delectable desserts when I am manic. Strawberry/ rhubarb crisp is one I have made lately... yummy!

Listening to music and working in my yard... also very helpful

Thanks for this thread it has reminded me of things I can do and has given me new ideas to use as well. Thanks goldenviolet for the bump! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Laridy

Jul 23, 2007
Lewisville, TX
✟7,721.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All the things ya'll said are great. I also include swimming; especially floating on my back w/ my head in the water listening to the sounds under the water and feeling the sun and breeze on my face. I especially like it when the pool is empty and the sounds are just little gurgles and bubblies. It kinda reminds me of being held by the Father, totally encompassed by His love!

Thanks, Laridy:cool:

Upvote 0

Ramona

If you can't see my siggy, I've disappeared ;)
Supporter
Sep 4, 2006
Visit site
✟55,932.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
I enjoy creating art, music, and clothing when I am manic/hypomanic. It gives me something productive to do with my hands.

I also keep a list of things I love about myself and a separate list of the people who love me, which I read when I am depressed.

~Hallie :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

4Everloved

Legend
Apr 18, 2007
Tennessee, USA
✟36,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Posting verses in the Bible Games Forum section of ForUms (it keeps my mind and fingers busy, and I am continually surprised at how many of the verses totally apply at the moment) This is a good thing to do whether I'm depressed or in hypomania...because it keeps me busy and keeps my mind focused on God:)

Walking outside. Praying to God silently while I walk. Giving Him my worries and my issues.

Getting on the treadmill and walking with worship/praise music.

Reading Guideposts or something I like.

Accepting hugs from husband and children...although there are moments when I just don't seem to want to be touched....what is that? Sensory overload? Someone help me here.

I used to draw a lot, but I've stopped doing that. I would like to start that hobby back up.

I only found out I was bipolar recently. I was diagnosed with Type II. I get depressed a lot and stay mostly with that. I always thought that was normal. Apparently not.

I'd been on prozac for 10 years and it stopped working. After I went off the prozac though, I got worse, or at least people around me said I was worse. I thought I was perfectly fine. It was not true. I was not perfectly fine. I do need the meds, but not just anti-depressants. Anti-depressants alone can make mania worse, I'm told. So far with Lamictal, (a mood stabilizer) so good. Life can only get better from here.

Glad to have this forum for bipolar.

Upvote 0

goldenviolet

Holy is the Lord God Almighty
Nov 28, 2004
Salem, Oregon
Visit site
✟62,074.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:clap: wonderful ideas! i like the recreation room when i'm just needing to rest and enjoy.

'sensory overload' ... yep. this and low tolerance for things. no worries. sometimes we are social when moody, but other times we can be irritable over lots of things. it's good to not be tough on yourself for all the ways you respond to bi-polar issues. people who are not bi-polar are like this too! we just feel it intensely and or our thinking is sometimes muddled. it all boils down to maintenance. what you need now to manage through it... :) lol. love yourself and laugh at these things where you can. it helps us stay away from the 'lows'. ~ bless your heart, love dee

Reactions: 4Everloved
Upvote 0