Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,497.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I hear a lot of talk about how unreliable election security is down in the US.

And it's so weird that it's always the right wing that want to lay out the law of what is acceptable during elections while the left wing just wants to get people out to vote; which frankly, is a challenge these days. The left wants a populous that is excited, energized and empowered to vote.
And I have seen absolutely 0 evidence other than empty platitude that the right wants the same.

OBVIOUSLY it's not appropriate for either singular party to be in charge of what constitutes a fair election. There is no doubt 100% of Americans believe that.

So how about getting some UN observers in? The way some folks SCREAM about how absolutely rigged and unjust elections are (I mean sure, it's not based on evidence but they still scream) you'd think one of two outcomes:
1) Either they want to be in control (but it's already been agreed that no party should be in control of that.
OR
2) They want so many restrictions on voting that it would disenfrachise HUUUUUGE groups of people.

Think about it: There is NOBODY as impartial as a third party and the UN has a long history of their observers at elections so they have the experience.

If you TRULY believe the American election system is rigged, why not have UN observers in doing their job?

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you TRULY believe the American election system is rigged, why not have UN observers in doing their job?
Maybe because the riggers have things rigged so that doesn't happen :)

I think I have seen a political party rig the election so that party lost . . . by running obviously unfit and unqualified candidates. I would say each party has taken at least one turn to do this, exchanging the favor.

And I find it interesting that a president could have four years to make elections secure, then claim the election was insecure. Plus the person's claims were thrown out by the judges his administration appointed, even in the Supreme Court.

So, may be the elections are more reliable than the ones claiming they aren't.

Possibly, there were certain, not all, Republicans trying to rig the election . . . steal it. If certain Republicans tried to keep voters in line from being given water, in order to keep them from being able to stand out in the heat long enough to vote Democratic, that was a way of trying to steal the election . . . if certain Republicans, not all, did that.

Plus, telling everyone to not use mail-ins, and then trying to throw out mail-in votes which would mainly be those of the person's competing party > that could have been a way to try to steal the election.

So, the real security issue could be candidates who are so insecure that they feel they have to try stuff like that.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,497.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Maybe because the riggers have things rigged so that doesn't happen :)

I think I have seen a political party rig the election so that party lost . . . by running obviously unfit and unqualified candidates.

And I find it interesting that a president could have four years to make elections secure, then claim the election was insecure. Plus the person's claims were thrown out by the judges his administration appointed, even in the Supreme Court.

So, may be the elections are more reliable than the ones claiming they aren't.

Possibly, there were certain, not all, Republicans trying to rig the election . . . steal it. If Republicans tried to keep voters in line from being given water so they couldn't stand in the heat long enough to vote Democratic, that was a way of trying to steal the election . . . if certain Republicans, not all, did that.

Plus, telling everyone to not use mail-ins, and then trying to throw out mail-in votes > that could have been a way to try to steal the election.

So, the real security issue could be candidates who are so insecure that they feel they have to try stuff like that.
Fair points

• Friendly
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How about something as simple as paper ballots only and showing your voter registration to vote.
Vote in person or drop boxes at the poling places - vote by mail with the following stipulations:

Mail in ballots should be requested by the voter and sent to their home address, not mass mailed. Returned on time with postage paid so there is no money outlaid by the voter. signature, date and voter ID included.

You have to be registered to vote in national elections, so just use that, every voter already has one.

How simple is that?

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
How about something as simple as paper ballots only and showing your voter registration to vote.
Vote in person or drop boxes at the poling places - vote by mail with the following stipulations:

Mail in ballots should be requested by the voter and sent to their home address, not mass mailed. Returned on time with postage paid so there is no money outlaid by the voter. signature, date and voter ID included.

You have to be registered to vote in national elections, so just use that, every voter already has one.

How simple is that?

What's wrong with mass mailing? In my state, everybody votes by mail-in ballot. How simple is that?

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Considering that the ones doing the screaming do not trust the U.N. or for that matter anyone except their own people it hardly seems like this would accomplish anything.
It likely would exacerbate our issues. MTG or Matt Gaetz would be tweeting "The Swiss delegates are radical commies who want democrats to win!". Then countries would resent the US more. We do need to keep bringing ideas into the public domain tho. It's a way to choose the good ones from the bad ones.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I hear a lot of talk about how unreliable election security is down in the US.

And it's so weird that it's always the right wing that want to lay out the law of what is acceptable during elections while the left wing just wants to get people out to vote; which frankly, is a challenge these days. The left wants a populous that is excited, energized and empowered to vote.
And I have seen absolutely 0 evidence other than empty platitude that the right wants the same.

OBVIOUSLY it's not appropriate for either singular party to be in charge of what constitutes a fair election. There is no doubt 100% of Americans believe that.

So how about getting some UN observers in? The way some folks SCREAM about how absolutely rigged and unjust elections are (I mean sure, it's not based on evidence but they still scream) you'd think one of two outcomes:
1) Either they want to be in control (but it's already been agreed that no party should be in control of that.
OR
2) They want so many restrictions on voting that it would disenfrachise HUUUUUGE groups of people.

Think about it: There is NOBODY as impartial as a third party and the UN has a long history of their observers at elections so they have the experience.

Some think that “majority rule” is fine if it’s their side who’s the majority.
Once they understand that they are not the majority, then limiting the franchise is “reasonable” since they wouldn’t win elections if EVERYONE voted. QED.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What's wrong with mass mailing? In my state, everybody votes by mail-in ballot. How simple is that?
I support mail in voting 100% with the caveat that they are requested and sent to an individual. They are returned by election days along with proper signature and a copy of the voter registration everyone who votes is required to have already.

Agree?

• Agree
Reactions: David_S42
Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I support mail in voting 100% with the caveat that they are requested and sent to an individual. They are returned by election days along with proper signature and a copy of the voter registration everyone who votes is required to have already.

Agree?
I also live in a state that mails out to all registered voters. It has not been a problem. We sign and date the envelope, mail it back or drop into one of the many drop boxes, follow up online to make sure ballot is counted. Easy, efficient, encourages more voters to vote.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

The "gold standard" for American elections is voter-marked, machine-read paper ballots. Some places still have fully electronic systems that preferably would be phased out, but the equipment is expensive.

Not sure how one shows their "voter registration". The list of registered voters is in the poll book. I give them my name; they find it in the book; I sign the entry.

A large number of polling places are not normally open to the public. Mine is in the neighborhood elementary school. Don't think they'd want random non-parent people wandering in during school hours to drop off ballots.

From what I've seen drop boxes are placed in public spaces, open, well lit, and accessible. I suppose you could install one on the edge of the lawn by the sidewalk at the local school, but that may not be possible or desirable at all polling places. (For example, I voted at a local church one time.)

How simple is that?

That's the way it is generally done. Though some states use post mark dates and allow time to arrive. Some patience is required.

Mail ballots are only mailed to the registered home address. (You can't register to vote at a business or PO Box.)

There are two modes for "mail in ballots". One is like you said, get on the list to vote-by-mail, or in a few states they have moved to mail-in voting for everyone, so every registered voter gets a ballot at home.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single

Agree?

Here, registering to vote is the request to send mail-in ballots.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The "gold standard" for American elections is voter-marked, machine-read paper ballots. Some places still have fully electronic systems that preferably would be phased out, but the equipment is expensive.

Not sure how one shows their "voter registration". The list of registered voters is in the poll book. I give them my name; they find it in the book; I sign the entry.

A large number of polling places are not normally open to the public. Mine is in the neighborhood elementary school. Don't think they'd want random non-parent people wandering in during school hours to drop off ballots.

From what I've seen drop boxes are placed in public spaces, open, well lit, and accessible. I suppose you could install one on the edge of the lawn by the sidewalk at the local school, but that may not be possible or desirable at all polling places. (For example, I voted at a local church one time.)

That's the way it is generally done. Though some states use post mark dates and allow time to arrive. Some patience is required.

Mail ballots are only mailed to the registered home address. (You can't register to vote at a business or PO Box.)

There are two modes for "mail in ballots". One is like you said, get on the list to vote-by-mail, or in a few states they have moved to mail-in voting for everyone, so every registered voter gets a ballot at home.

The new machines I voted on this election took your votes and printed a paper ballot that listed only your selected candidates. You would check the printed ballot for accuracy and then feed it into a scanner attached to the ballot box. There are other types of newer machines but all print a physical copy, both allowing the voter to see their vote was correctly recorded and also so that a hand recount (if needed) can verify the machine count.

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not sure how one shows their "voter registration".
How? When you register you receive a Voter Registration card"

wptv-cerasoli-voter-id-card_1471898236019_44808356_ver1.0_900_675.jpg

You pull it out of your pocket or purse or whatever - and show it -

That is how

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

This is one way you register to vote.

Motor voter act

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

wptv-cerasoli-voter-id-card_1471898236019_44808356_ver1.0_900_675.jpg

That is how
This is not universal though. My state does not do this, but we are also a mail in state so it would not be useful.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Not the first time. I voted in several jurisdictions before I had a "registration card".

That is how

When I got my first, and only, "registration card" I took it to the polls the first time and they said they didn't need it. Why?

Because it isn't ID. It just tells you that you registered successfully and where your precinct is. Mine also tells me which legislative districts I am in. What matters is being in the poll book.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it's not discriminatory to require a vaccination card and ID to eat at McDonald's, it's not discriminatory to require a voter registration card and ID to vote in an election.

It's unnecessary. Election officials are required to validate a voter is registered to vote.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
btw, Arizona voters have rejected the following proposition: [

Proposition 309
Legislative referral — Voter identification; affidavit; procedure.

Official description: The law would require voters to write their birthdate, government-issued identification number, and signature on a concealed early ballot affidavit; require photo identification to vote in-person; and require the Arizona Department of Transportation to provide without charge a non-operating identification license to individuals who request one for voting purposes.

Upvote 0