Universal Salvation - Did you know that this is at the core of the Gospel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hewillcome2040

Dec 25, 2017
St. Louis
✟10,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
hewillcome2040,

1. Hell was prepared for the devil and his angels not Satan alone.
The reason men will go to hell is because they are children of the devil.

2. Luke 16 shows Lazarus, the rich man was already in some torment. This is a true story not a parable because Abraham was talking with the poor beggar.
The rich man couldn't get out of hell and so he thought if he could warn his unsaved brothers so they would not suffer the same torment or if someone arose from the dead they would repent.
Abraham said, if they wouldn't listen to Moses and the prophets they wouldn't believe one who arose from the dead.
This shows there will be people who will never believe the gospel.
The core of salvation is the death, burial, and resurrection 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. Some will believe and some will not believe.

3. God will not reconcile a sinner to being a sinner if he rejects him.
The overcomer will inherit all things not the fearful, abominable sinners etc. John recorded this after the New Heaven and New Earth will have been created and God comes down to tabernacle with men Revelation 21. Jerry kelso

You missing the understanding that sin is debt. Sin is no longer accounted for after the debt is paid. Look a the parable of the unforgiving servant. How long was he to be punished? - TILL he paid his debt.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So do you believe that God needs our permission to be saved? If not, then why is any of it fall upon us to be saved?
Don't know how you come to such a conclusion from the words spoken by Christ I quoted.

Reading the remainder of John's gospel account will show us:

1. The Father draws souls to Him and gives them to the Son. (John 6:44) (John 6:37)

2. The Son will lose none the Father gives Him. (John 6:39)

We also see in Matthew 22:14 many are called few are chosen.

I have a lot more if you would like to explore.

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Hewillcome2040

Dec 25, 2017
St. Louis
✟10,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Don't know how you come to such a conclusion from the words spoken by Christ I quoted.

Reading the remainder of John's gospel account will show us:

1. The Father draws souls to Him and gives them to the Son. (John 6:44) (John 6:37)

2. The Son will lose none the Father gives Him. (John 6:39)

We also see in Matthew 22:14 many are called few are chosen.

I have a lot more if you would like to explore.

So your saying that it doesn't fall on us to be saved but on Him. Your also saying that if it falls on Him some are not going to be saved. So why is He not going to save some?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I didn't realize there are non RC Franciscans.

Someone i know has a couple questions for you:

• Are these Roman Catholic orders? (i.e. the ones you referred to earlier as universalists)

• And if so, don't you really mean - they are hopeful universalists.
BTW i've heard many of the RC Franciscans are universalists.

There are also Lutheran Franciscans as well the OLF although I have not met any as there are none here where I live.

I don’t know that an order would specifically describe it self officially as anything other than Franciscan, but the brothers and sisters of those orders would mostly describe themselves as universalist if they were asked.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So your saying that it doesn't fall on us to be saved but on Him. Your also saying that if it falls on Him some are not going to be saved. So why is He not going to save some?
These are not my words but those spoken by Christ pointing out the sovereign design of the Father.

Isaiah 55:8-9 King James Version (KJV)
8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perish for how long & in what way? The same Greek word for "perish" is used of the prodigal son who was "lost" but later found.

16 For thus God loves the world, so that He gives His only-begotten Son, that everyone who is believing in Him should not be perishing, but may be having life eonian. (CLV)
16 for God did so love the world, that His Son—the only begotten—He gave, that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during. (YLT)
16 For God, so loved, the world, that, his Only Begotten Son, he gave,—that, whosoever believeth on him, might not perish, but have life age-abiding. (Ro)
16 Thus for loved the God the world, so that the son of himself the only-begotten he gave, that every one who believing into him, not may be destroyed, but may have life age-lasting. (Diaglott)

Not everyone will get EONIAN life, which pro Endless Hell club, anti universalist, versions mistranslate as "eternal life". Those who believe before they die get EONIAN life. They will live & reign with Christ for the 1000 years of the millennial EON (Rev.20). Unbelievers will not. They get saved later since God becomes "all in ALL" (1 Cor.15:22-28). For Jesus is the Lamb of God Who takes away the sin of the world (Jn.1:29), "the Saviour of the world" (John 4:42), Who will draw all to Himself (John 12:32).

John 3:16 says unbelievers "perish", not that they perish endlessly. If Jesus had wanted to say "perish endlessly" there was a Greek word for "endless" He could have used (aperantos, 1 Tim.1:4). He could have also used the words "no end" (Lk.1:33) of perishing. Clearly endless punishment is not the teaching of the Word of God.

"But there are those who find this an intolerable state of affairs, sometimes because of an earnest if misguided devotion to what they believe Scripture or tradition demands, sometimes because the idea of the eternal torment of the derelict appeals to some unpleasantly obvious emotional pathologies on their parts." Saint Origen | David Bentley Hart

>Believers and Supporters of Christian Universalism

1 Jn.2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

If God doesn't save all, is it because He can't or doesn't want to?
"...it doesn't say what most evangelizers of hopelessness want it to say in that regard either."
"It is false, he maintained, to translate that phrase as "everlasting punishment," introducing into the New Testament the concept found in the Islamic Quran that God is going to torture the wicked forever."
"...non-Christians are punished forever for not recieving grace, which doesn't seem very graceful to me.

Have you been decieved by your Bible translation?

For the Lord will NOT cast off FOR EVER:

Augustine's ignorance & error re Matthew 25:46

Church Fathers & Universalism since Early Church times

Is there salvation after death?
Not everyone enters the Kingdom of God.

Matthew 22 King James Version (KJV)
22 And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,

2 The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,

3 And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.

4 Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage.

5 But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:

6 And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them.

7 But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.

8 Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.

9 Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.

10 So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.

11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:

12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.

13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

• Agree
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is true that the Bible can be used to "Prove" anything you wish it to, and earlier posts in this thread have tried just that. But there comes a point when faith and reason have to play their part. and that falls heavily in support of Universal salvation.
This reason is based on what exactly? Which objective truth?

• Useful
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
. . .It is true that the Bible can be used to "Prove" anything you wish it to, and earlier posts in this thread have tried just that. But there comes a point when faith and reason have to play their part. and that falls heavily in support of Universal salvation. . . .
Please show me a verse where God Himself is speaking or Jesus Himself is speaking that specifically, unequivocally states that all mankind will be saved, no matter what?

Upvote 0

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Jerry,

The Bible does not say that God cannot save those given over to a reprobate mind or those He hardens.

God gave king Nebuchadnezzar over to insanity for 7 years, yet thereafter saved him from that.

God gave Job over to Satan to destroy his body, yet God delivered Job back to health & prosperity.

God gives men over to Satan for destruction & correction that they may be saved (1 Cor.5:4-5; 1 Tim.1:20).

That translation is misleading. Better is:

New American Standard Bible
"Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

A definition of the sin of BHS does not AFAIK appear anywhere in the Scriptures. Neither is it ever stated that anyone has ever committed this sin, or if it is possible for anyone to do so since Christ was resurrected and went to heaven.

Mk.3:28 Verily, I am saying to you that all shall be pardoned the sons of mankind, the penalties of the sins and the blasphemies, whatsoever they should be blaspheming, 29 yet whoever should be blaspheming against the holy spirit is having no pardon for the eon, but is liable to the eonian penalty for the sin-" 30 for they said, "An unclean spirit has he." (CLV)

The NT translation of Eastern Orthodox scholar David Bentley Hart says:

"But whoever blasphemes against the Spirit, the Holy one, has no excuse throughout the age*, but is answerable for a transgression in the Age**" (Mk.3:29)

* Or "until the Age [to come]"
** An "aeonian transgression": perhaps "answerable for an age-long transgression."

(The New Testament: A Translation, 2017, Yale University Press, p.69)

“And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this AGE, neither in the AGE to come.” (Mt.12:32)

As per the Scripture passages above, the "penalty" for BHS is limited to "this age" & the "age to come". Since there is at least one age beyond those (Eph.1:21; 2:7; Lk.1:33; Rev.22:5, etc), the passages tell us nothing about the final destiny of those who commit such a sin. [Or if anyone ever committed it]. It does, however, inform us as to the final destiny of all others who didn't committ that sin, namely forgiveness, or pardon:

Mk.3:28 Verily, I am saying to you that all shall be pardoned the sons of mankind, the penalties of the sins and the blasphemies, whatsoever they should be blaspheming

BTW, David Burnfield makes an interesting point re Mt. 25:46:

"None of the sins listed in [the context of] Matt.25:46 can be considered blasphemy of the Holy Spirit."

He quotes Mt.12:31:

"Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven." (NASB)

And emphasizes the words "any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people".

He then says "If we can believe what Christ tells us, then the 'only' sin that is 'not' forgiven is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit which obviously does not include the sins listed in Matt.25:34-44."

Then he quotes from Jan Bonda's book "The One Purpose of God...":

"Verse...46, in particular, has always been cited as undeniable proof that Jesus taught eternal punishment. Yet it is clear that the sins Jesus listed in this passage do not constitute the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Assuming Jesus did not utter this word with the intention of contradicting what he said moments before [Matt 12:31], we must accept that the sins mentioned in this passage [Matt 25:46] will eventually be forgiven. This means, however strange it may sound to us, that this statement of Jesus about eternal punishment is not the final word for those who are condemned."

(Patristic Universalism: An Alternative To The Traditional View of Divine Judgement, 2nd ed, 2016, by David Burnfield, p.220-1)

The aforementioned Bentley Hart translation does not use the words "eternal" or "everlasting" at Mt.25:46, but instead reads "chastening of that Age" & "life of that Age". Many other versions do likewise, as listed here:

More literal translations say:

and the Devil, who is leading them astray, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where are the beast and the false prophet, and they shall be tormented day and night-to the ages of the ages. (Rev.20:10, YLT)

And the Adversary who is deceiving them was cast into the lake of fire and sulphur where the wild beast and where the false prophet are also. And they shall be tormented day and night for the eons of the eons. (Rev.20:10, Concordant Literal New Testament, 1983)

...and the Adversary that had been deceiving them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where [were] both the wild-beast and the false-prophet; and they shall be tormented day and night unto the ages of ages. (Rev.20:10, Rotherham Emphasized Bible, 1959

American Standard Version footnote: *Gr. unto the ages of the ages.
Revised Version, 1881 footnote: *Gr. unto the ages of the ages.

Does ages of the ages have an end? Christ's reign is "to the ages of the ages":

And the seventh messenger did sound, and there came great voices in the heaven, saying, 'The kingdoms of the world did become those of our Lord and of His Christ, and he shall reign to the ages of the ages!' (Rev.11:15, YLT)

But His reign is "until" He gives up the Kingdom to the Father:

24 Then the end will come, when He hands over the kingdom to God the Father after He has destroyed all dominion, authority, and power. 25 For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet. (1 Corinthians 15)

So Christ's reign "to the ages of the ages" is not "forever and ever". Therefore the phrase "to the ages of the ages" can be understood of a limited time period that comes to an end. So those in the lake of fire are not punished there "for ever and ever" (Rev.20:10).

Also, "forever and ever" is nonsense. No time can be added to "forever".

When Christ's reign ends (1 Cor.15 above), this will lead to God being "All in all" (v.28). IOW everyone will be saved, as all will be "in Christ" (v.22).

Rev.21:5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making all new!”

Rev.15:4 Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest.

This sounds like just payback, not endless annihilation or tortures:

Rev.18:6 Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double.

Rev.21:5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making all new!”

This includes everyone in the universe, including the dead and demons:

Rev.5:13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour,
and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

John speaks of "every creature" & to emphasize this again he repeats "and all that are in them":

Rev.5:13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour,
and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

This worship (v.13) uses the same worshipful words as the redeemed of vs 9-10 use in v.12:

12 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.

All this being in the context of salvation - "the Lamb that was slain" (v.12 & 13).

So Satan will be saved. Col.1:15-20 confirms this:

Colossians 1:15-20
15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.

17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. 18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the pre-eminence.

19 For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell, 20 and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross.

"This specious argument goes back at least to Augustine. As has long ago been said, however, due to its unreasonableness, it ought never be heard again."

Augustine was rather ignorant of Greek.

For some other parallels in Scripture consider:

Rom 5:18 Consequently, then, as it was through one offense for all mankind for condemnation, thus also it is through one just act for all mankind for life's justifying."

Rom 5:19 For even as, through the disobedience of the one man, the many were constituted sinners, thus also, through the obedience of the One, the many shall be constituted just."

1 Cor.15:22 AS in Adam ALL die SO ALSO in Christ shall ALL be made alive.

Continued at:

The saints will have immortality & be with Jesus always. But that isn't what Dan. 12:2 says. Instead Dan.12:2 is contrasting destinies in the future eons, the millennial age eon and the second death eon, which lasts till death is abolished as per 1 Cor.15:26. Then God becomes all in all (v.28), even in all who were in Adam (v.22).

Getting back to Dan. 12:2-3...

The context suggests the view that both the life & the punishment referred to in v.2 are of finite duration (OLAM), since v.3 speaks of those who will be for OLAM "and further".

2 From those sleeping in the soil of the ground many shall awake, these to eonian life and these to reproach for eonian repulsion." 3 The intelligent shall warn as the warning
of the atmosphere, and those justifying many are as the stars for the eon and further." (Dan.12:2-3, CLV)

The Hebrew word for eonian (v.2) & eon (v.3) above is OLAM which is often used of limited durations in the OT. In verse 3 of Dan. 12 are the words "OLAM and further" showing an example of its finite duration in the very next words after Dan. 12:2. Thus, in context, the OLAM occurences in v.2 could also both be understood as being of finite duration.

Additionally, the early church accepted the following Greek OT translation of the Hebrew OT of Dan. 12:3:

καὶ οἱ συνιέντες ἐκλάμψουσιν ὡς ἡ λαμπρότης τοῦ στερεώματος καὶ ἀπὸ τῶν δικαίων τῶν πολλῶν ὡς οἱ ἀστέρες εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας καὶ ἔτι[and further]

Notice the words at the end saying KAI ETI, meaning "and further" or "and still" or "and yet" & other synonyms.

eti: "still, yet...Definition: (a) of time: still, yet, even now, (b) of degree: even, further, more, in addition." Strong's Greek: 2089. ἔτι (eti) -- still, yet

εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας καὶ ἔτι means "into the ages and further" as a translation of the Hebrew L'OLAM WA ED[5703, AD]

So this early church Greek translation of the Hebrew Scriptures agrees with the above translation (& those below) using the words "and further", "futurity", "beyond" & similarly.

3 and·the·ones-being-intelligent they-shall- warn as·warning-of the·atmosphere and·ones-leading-to-righteousness-of the·many-ones as·the·stars for·eon and·futurity (Dan. 12:3, Hebrew-English Interlinear)

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/dan12.pdf

2 and, many of the sleepers in the dusty ground, shall awake,—these, [shall be] to age-abiding life, but, those, to reproach, and age-abiding abhorrence;
3 and, they who make wise, shall shine like the shining of the expanse,—and, they who bring the many to righteousness, like the stars to times age-abiding and beyond. (Dan. 12:2-3, Rotherham)

2 And the multitude of those sleeping in the dust of the ground do awake, some to life age-during, and some to reproaches—to abhorrence age-during.
3 And those teaching do shine as the brightness of the expanse, and those justifying the multitude as stars to the age and for ever*. (Dan. 12:2-3, YLT)
* for "for ever" Young of YLT says substitute "age during" everywhere in Scripture: http://heraldmag.org/olb/Contents/bibles/ylt.pdf

Dan. 12:2-3 was the only Biblical reference to "life OLAM" Jesus listeners had to understand His meaning of "life aionios"(life OLAM) in Mt.25:46 & elsewhere in the New Testament.

Verse 3 speaks of those justifying "many". Who are these "many"? The same "many" of verse 2, including those who were resurrected to "shame" & "contempt"? IOW universalism?

Jerry, God's love does not expire like a carton of milk, so Love Omnipotent will pursue the salvation of sinners for as long as it takes into eternity to save them. Eternity allows an infinite number of chances to receive salvation & be delivered from hell's torments. If every free will choice has a 50% chance of going either way, it would be mathematically impossible for one to reject God forever. Since the Omniscient One sees the future, He knows that all will eventually be saved, which is why His Word declares it.

The blood of Jesus does not have an expiry date like a carton of milk. It is always effective to purge sin. Behold the Lamb of God Who takes away the sin of the world (Jn.1:29).

Heb.9:27 does not deny either:

1] the lost being saved after death & before judgement, or

2] the lost becoming saved after death & judgement

The reference to Hebrews 9:27 does not speak of "an expiration date" for salvation or God's love. After death comes judgement for all, sinners & saints. Judgement can be a good thing:

"When your judgments come upon the earth, the people of the world learn righteousness." (Isa.26:9)

The Greek word for "chastening" here can mean correction:

The Lord is acquainted with the rescue of the devout out of trial, yet is keeping the unjust for chastening in the day of judging. (2 Pet.2:9)

Heb.9:27 says it is appointed to men once to die. Does that deny men can die twice? No. Does it say "only" once? No. If New England is appointed to play the Buffalo Bills twice, does that deny they won't meet again in the playoffs? No. How many times did those raised before the general resurrections die?

I think, in light of the Rapture theory, many Christians would disagree with the statement that 100% of mankind will die and face judgment. Not only that, but Hebrews 9:27 does not say men are "only" going to die once. Lazarus, for one, is a Biblical example of one who died twice & the book of Revelation speaks of the "second death"."

I already provided examples proving Heb.9:27 does not mean death occurs "once & only once". If it did there would be a Bible contradiction & the Bible would be lying.

Paul says "once was i stoned" (2 Cor.11:25). Does that mean he could never be stoned again or stoned twice? Obviously not.

Scripture reveals there are those who will not die even once & implies there are those who will die at least a second time. There are those who will never die, not even once:

1 Thessalonians 4:15-17 says: “For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.”

We can agree that "it says what it says". But your words do not equate to the "meaning" of the verse, nor have you provided any reason why it should be understood according to - your - opinion - that it establishes a doctrine of "no hope for repentance after death".

Let's be clear. The passage nowhere uses your words "no hope", "hope" or "repentance".

The passage does not rule out repentance "after...judgement".

Neither does it rule out the possibility of repentance after death & before judgement.

It simply doesn't address such issues.

For the Lord will NOT cast off FOR EVER:

Church Fathers & Universalism since Early Church times

Is there salvation after death?

clementofa,

1. I didn't say that God could or would not save a person he hardens.
Pharaoh's heart was hardened 10 times. Those were 10 chances at grace that he rejected and he still went after God's people and drowned. He went past the point of no return.

2. Nebuchadnezzar saw the light and didn't go past the point of return of at least returning to his senses.

3. Job was a Christian and God had a specific purpose in Job's scenario for he had done nothing wrong. God was showing Satan he had a man that was going to trust God though God slayed him.

4. The Spirit is always calling for the most part to draw sinners to Christ and some answer the call and some don't.

5. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit never being forgiven is plainly stated in Matthew 12. Jesus was talking to the Pharisees who said he was of the devil.
It won't be forgiven in this present age and the next age which is the millennial kingdom which is 1000 years but, at the same time it starts an eternal kingdom Daniel 7:27.
turns into the Kingdom of God when the son gives it over to God the father so he can be all in all.
However, in Revelation 21 shows after the New Heaven and the New Earth shows only the overcomer will inherit all things but the fearful and abominable sinners etc. won't inherit all things.
So your age to age about blasphemy of the Holy Spirit doesn't hold water across the board.
We shall reign forever according to Revelation 5:9-10 and it is not talking about one age. It means forever, in the millennial kingdom and the New Heaven and the New Earth on and on.
So all your age to age concept is a little flawed.
Btw, there is nothing implied or said about many being justified in Daniel 12:2-3.

6. Colossians 1 has nothing to do with Satan being saved.
Christ is the preeminence of everything and all things consist in him according to creation.
However, reconciling to himself is more about the church of which he is the firstborn of the dead and reconciling was those who will make peace through the blood of Christ and the fact is not all will make peace through the blood. That is why they will be judged as sinners at the GWTJ which is after death and thrown into the lake of fire forever which is eternal.
Also, the love and blood will not run out for the earthly progenys that do not know Christ which is shown in the millennial kingdom and that is why there will be missionaries. It will run out for those thrown into the lake of fire.

7. 2 Corinthians 5:18:19 is the basis of UR.
This passage is about the ministry of reconciliation that Christians have been given because of Christ dying and rising from the dead.
Sins, past, present, and future were satisfied by Christ the ransom so men would have the opportunity to be saved.
If sins debt was merely paid for as Christ being a mere substitute instead of freely giving his life then all men would have been saved forever for past, present, and future at the cross despite if they were sinners.
It would mean that Christ paying the debt there would be no reason for the need or possibility of grace of saving one.

8. Hebrews 9:27, is talking about final death, not chastening.
Lazarus and many others have died more than once before they died permanently awaiting resurrection day.
The only ones who will not die physically and go to the grave etc. will be those who are alive and remain and are caught up together with the dead in Christ which is the rapture 1 Thessalonians 5:15-17.
What you fail to understand is that 1 Corinthians 15:51 is the rapture of 1 Thessalonians 5:15-17 that was a mystery in the Old Testament.

9. Hebrews 2:9 says nothing or doesn't imply in any way that sinners are chastened in conjunction with judgement.
It says the Lord knows how to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgement TO BE PUNISHED. This doesn't mean chastening, it is judgement. It doesn't agree with the whole context of punishment as a reward of unrighteousness verse 12. It also talks about those who escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are are entangled therein and overcome, the latter end is worse them than the beginning.
For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it to turn from the Holy commandment delivered unto them verses 20-21.
Verse 23 shows they will not choose to change ever for it is really who they are.
But, it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

10. Your different translations, meanings of words, the omitting argument etc. doesn't agree with the context of the word across the board. Context and reconciling of all the scriptures on the given subject in proper perspective is where your doctrine fails. Jerry kelso

Upvote 0

Hewillcome2040

Dec 25, 2017
St. Louis
✟10,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
These are not my words but those spoken by Christ pointing out the sovereign design of the Father.

Isaiah 55:8-9 King James Version (KJV)
8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Added you to my ignore list.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There are also Lutheran Franciscans as well the OLF although I have not met any as there are none here where I live.

I don’t know that an order would specifically describe it self officially as anything other than Franciscan, but the brothers and sisters of those orders would mostly describe themselves as universalist if they were asked.

Thanks Gordon.

What's OLF?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your different translations, meanings of words, the omitting argument etc. doesn't agree with the context of the word across the board. Context and reconciling of all the scriptures on the given subject in proper perspective is where your doctrine fails. Jerry kelso
Points made well and consistent. The above is most important as you point out the OP is based on eisegesis and not exegesis.

• Agree
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't know of anyone who reads and believes the Bible who believes this.

If you do (read the Bible and get these ideas from the Bible) , you're the first I've heard it from.

The universalists might read the Bible, but of course you know the rest... or can know it if you read the rest of the story. (not what the universalists say; but what the Bible says)
Here's more on this (complete with verses that support it):

From Fr Richard Rohr (Franciscan friar)------->Bonaventure of Bagnoregio (1217-1274), a Doctor of the Church, philosopher, and mystic, also brought Francis of Assisi’s intuitive vision to philosophical and theological heights. Bonaventure and John Duns Scotus (1265/66–1308) both had a cosmic, universal notion of the Christ. The key texts for their Franciscan Christology were the first paragraphs of several New Testament books: Colossians 1:15-20, John 1:1-5, 15-18, Ephesians 1:3-14, Hebrews 1:1-4, and 1 John 1:1-4. I must list them clearly so you do not think I am creating some new theology unfounded in Scripture. We do not normally see what we are not told to pay attention to. So I am telling you to pay attention to what Paul calls “the hidden wisdom” or “hidden mystery” (1 Corinthians 2:6-8) where “the fullness of divinity lives in embodied form” (see Colossians 2:9).

Like Francis, Bonaventure is positive, mystical, cosmic, and takes the mystery of incarnation to its logical conclusions. Jesus is the stand-in for everything else! Bonaventure starts very clearly: “Unless we are able to view things in terms of how they originate, how they are to return to their end, and how God shines forth in them, we will not be able to understand.” [1] His whole theology is often summed up as Emanation > Exemplification > Consummation.

For Bonaventure, the perfection of God and God’s creation moves full circle, which is the meaning of resurrection. He intuited that Alpha and Omega had to be the same, and the lynchpin holding it all together was the “Christ Mystery” visible everywhere—the essential unity of matter and spirit, humanity and divinity. The Christ Mystery is thus the template, model, and goal for all of creation. The end is included and the trajectory set from the very beginning.

The theology of Francis, Duns Scotus, and Bonaventure was never about trying to placate a distant or angry God, earn forgiveness, or find some abstract theory of justification. They were all about cosmic optimism, deep time, and implanted hope! Salvation was social more than individual, just like the Old Testament covenants. Once we lost this kind of inherent mysticism, Christianity became preoccupied with fear, unworthiness, and guilt much more than delighting in an all-pervasive plan that was already and always in place.

As Paul’s school says, “Before the world was made, God chose us, chose us in Christ” (Ephesians 1:4). The problem was solved from the beginning. Any Gospel of hope must start with the “original blessing” announced in Genesis 1 instead of the problem described in Genesis 3. It invites us beyond the negative notion of history as being a “fall from grace” to the long and positive view of history as a slow emergence/evolution into ever-greater consciousness.~https://cac.org/full-circle-salvation-2017-03-27/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
The almah debate is off topic for this thread. I don't want to derail this thread since I started it. I don't put much stock in scholars as previous readers to my posts have already found out.

Unless their names are Greek linguist Lennep and universalist, Rev E S Goodwin.
images

• Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering if it all has to first begin with what's believed about the cross (the different at-one-ment theories). That's where I began, anyway (moving away from believing in a Penal Substitutionary theory to At-One-Ment or a focus on the incarnation of God).

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Here's more on this (complete with verses that support it):

From Fr Richard Rohr (Franciscan friar)------->Bonaventure of Bagnoregio (1217-1274), a Doctor of the Church, philosopher, and mystic, also brought Francis of Assisi’s intuitive vision to philosophical and theological heights. Bonaventure and John Duns Scotus (1265/66–1308) both had a cosmic, universal notion of the Christ. The key texts for their Franciscan Christology were the first paragraphs of several New Testament books: Colossians 1:15-20, John 1:1-5, 15-18, Ephesians 1:3-14, Hebrews 1:1-4, and 1 John 1:1-4. I must list them clearly so you do not think I am creating some new theology unfounded in Scripture. We do not normally see what we are not told to pay attention to. So I am telling you to pay attention to what Paul calls “the hidden wisdom” or “hidden mystery” (1 Corinthians 2:6-8) where “the fullness of divinity lives in embodied form” (see Colossians 2:9).

Like Francis, Bonaventure is positive, mystical, cosmic, and takes the mystery of incarnation to its logical conclusions. Jesus is the stand-in for everything else! Bonaventure starts very clearly: “Unless we are able to view things in terms of how they originate, how they are to return to their end, and how God shines forth in them, we will not be able to understand.” [1] His whole theology is often summed up as Emanation > Exemplification > Consummation.

For Bonaventure, the perfection of God and God’s creation moves full circle, which is the meaning of resurrection. He intuited that Alpha and Omega had to be the same, and the lynchpin holding it all together was the “Christ Mystery” visible everywhere—the essential unity of matter and spirit, humanity and divinity. The Christ Mystery is thus the template, model, and goal for all of creation. The end is included and the trajectory set from the very beginning.

The theology of Francis, Duns Scotus, and Bonaventure was never about trying to placate a distant or angry God, earn forgiveness, or find some abstract theory of justification. They were all about cosmic optimism, deep time, and implanted hope! Salvation was social more than individual, just like the Old Testament covenants. Once we lost this kind of inherent mysticism, Christianity became preoccupied with fear, unworthiness, and guilt much more than delighting in an all-pervasive plan that was already and always in place.

As Paul’s school says, “Before the world was made, God chose us, chose us in Christ” (Ephesians 1:4). The problem was solved from the beginning. Any Gospel of hope must start with the “original blessing” announced in Genesis 1 instead of the problem described in Genesis 3. It invites us beyond the negative notion of history as being a “fall from grace” to the long and positive view of history as a slow emergence/evolution into ever-greater consciousness.~https://cac.org/full-circle-salvation-2017-03-27/

Right on the money and all this can be summed up in these words... "How you see yourself and how you see others is how you see God."

If you start with the negative you will always find the negative, if you start with the positive you will always find the positive. - Richard Rohr.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering if it all has to first begin with what's believed about the cross (the different at-one-ment theories). That's where I began, anyway (moving away from believing in a Penal Substitutionary theory to At-One-Ment or a focus on the incarnation of God).

Yes I believe it is and the concept of restorative justice rather than retributive justice that some of Christian brothers and sisters tend to believe, if you cannot get past the dualistic thinking of shame and punishment you just don't get it.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
You only left out one thing that is important, Jesus said it would be forever! What does forever mean? Forever.

This is confirmed in:

Mark 9:43, "And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands to go to hell [Gehenna] to the unquenchable fire" (ESV).

Gehenna was used symbolically by Jesus as the final place of torment for unbelievers who will go to this place of unquenchable fire. There is no end to it. We can deal with the nature of this fire in another thread.

The Gehenna Valley was thus a place of burning sewage, burning flesh, and garbage. Maggots and worms crawled through the waste, and the smoke smelled strong and sickening (Isaiah 30:33). It was a place utterly filthy, disgusting and repulsive to the nose and eyes. Gehenna presented such a vivid image that Christ used it as a symbolic depiction of hell: a place of eternal torment and constant uncleanness, where the fires never ceased burning and the worms never stopped crawling (Matthew 10:28; Mark 9:47–48) [source: What is Gehenna?]​

Mark 9:47-48 (ESV) confirms that Gehenna, the final location of unbelievers, is a place (by analogy) where the worm does not die and the fire does not go out - it is unquenchable. There is no end to it.

Oz

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.