• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You are only in reference to one type or action of blaspheming the Holy Spirit.
A born again believer who refuses more and more to not obey the Holy Spirit is on shaking ground.
You do not seem to understand specifically what blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is then.

It is a specific thing. It must be someone attributing a miracle of God to the devil, performed by God (ie. Jesus).

You would then know that this particular sin is not possible today for us.

All other actions are forgivable..

Its that simple

• Agree
Reactions: lamb7
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am worried though because Jesus doesnt say Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is only saying that he was evil. Blasphemy can done in many ways, not ONLY denying a miracle.
All sins are forgiveable.

Have you asked for forgiveness yet? If not, what on earth are you waiting for?

"Blaspemy of the Holy Spirit" is a particular phrase that has meaning.

blaspemy against God is not the same thing. Again, it has a very specific meaning.

Upvote 0

Subaru17

Apr 4, 2017
Usa
✟21,404.00
Marital Status
Single
I am worried though because Jesus doesnt say Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is only saying that he was evil. Blasphemy can done in many ways, not ONLY denying a miracle.

Yes, and you will continue to worry just as soon as you find one "answer" to a doubt or question another one will pop up, or another way to condemn yourself will suddenly appear. It's the OCD whack-a-mole game. Hit one and
Another one pops up

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Would it not be blasphemy to question Gods goodness?
That is not blaspemy of the Holy Spirit.

Are you saying that God performs devilish works and is not good?

It is not a compound word. Like putting together "blasphemy" and "Holy Spirit". Read what God's Word says.

I'll show you.

Mark 3:22–30
Blasphemy Against the Holy Spirit

22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem were saying,“He is possessed by Beelzebul,” and “by the prince of demons he casts out the demons.” 23 lAnd he called them to him and said to them in parables, “How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand, but is coming to an end. 27 But mno one can enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. nThen indeed he may plunder his house.

28 o“Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the children of man, and whatever blasphemies they utter, 29 but whoever pblasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”— 30 for they were saying, “He has an unclean spirit.”

Matthew 12:22–32
Blasphemy Against the Holy Spirit

22 wThen a demon-oppressed man who was blind and mute was brought to him, and he healed him, so that the man spoke and saw. 23 xAnd all the people were amazed, and said, x“Can this be the Son of David?” 24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, y“It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this man casts out demons.” 25 zKnowing their thoughts, ahe said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and no city or house divided against itself will stand. 26 And if Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? 27 And if I cast out demons by Beelzebul, bby whom do cyour sons cast them out? Therefore they will be your judges. 28 But if it is dby the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then ethe kingdom of God has come upon you. 29 Or fhow can someone enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? Then indeed ghe may plunder his house. 30 hWhoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. 31 iTherefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but jthe blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32 And whoever speaks a word kagainst the Son of Man lwill be forgiven, but jwhoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in mthis age or in the age to come.

Question: "What is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?"

Answer:
The concept of “blasphemy against the Spirit” is mentioned in Mark 3:22–30 and Matthew 12:22–32. Jesus has just performed a miracle. A demon-possessed man was brought to Jesus, and the Lord cast the demon out, healing the man of blindness and muteness. The eyewitnesses to this exorcism began to wonder if Jesus was indeed the Messiah they had been waiting for. A group of Pharisees, hearing the talk of the Messiah, quickly quashed any budding faith in the crowd: “It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons,” they said (Matthew 12:24).

Jesus rebuts the Pharisees with some logical arguments for why He is not casting out demons in the power of Satan (Matthew 12:25–29). Then He speaks of the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit: “I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come” (verses 31–32).

The term blasphemy may be generally defined as “defiant irreverence.” The term can be applied to such sins as cursing God or willfully degrading things relating to God. Blasphemy is also attributing some evil to God or denying Him some good that we should attribute to Him. This particular case of blasphemy, however, is called “the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit” in Matthew 12:31. The Pharisees, having witnessed irrefutable proof that Jesus was working miracles in the power of the Holy Spirit, claimed instead that the Lord was possessed by a demon (Matthew 12:24). Notice in Mark 3:30 Jesus is very specific about what the Pharisees did to commit blasphemy against the Holy Spirit: “He said this because they were saying, ‘He has an impure spirit.’”

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit has to do with accusing Jesus Christ of being demon-possessed instead of Spirit-filled. This particular type of blasphemy cannot be duplicated today. The Pharisees were in a unique moment in history: they had the Law and the Prophets, they had the Holy Spirit stirring their hearts, they had the Son of God Himself standing right in front of them, and they saw with their own eyes the miracles He did. Never before in the history of the world (and never since) had so much divine light been granted to men; if anyone should have recognized Jesus for who He was, it was the Pharisees. Yet they chose defiance. They purposely attributed the work of the Spirit to the devil, even though they knew the truth and had the proof. Jesus declared their willful blindness to be unpardonable. Their blasphemy against the Holy Spirit was their final rejection of God’s grace. They had set their course, and God was going to let them sail into perdition unhindered.

Jesus told the crowd that the Pharisees’ blasphemy against the Holy Spirit “will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come” (Matthew 12:32). This is another way of saying that their sin would never be forgiven, ever. Not now, not in eternity. As Mark 3:29 puts it, “They are guilty of an eternal sin.”

The immediate result of the Pharisees’ public rejection of Christ (and God’s rejection of them) is seen in the next chapter. Jesus, for the first time, “told them many things in parables” (Matthew 13:3; cf. Mark 4:2). The disciples were puzzled at Jesus’ change of teaching method, and Jesus explained His use of parables: “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. . . . Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand” (Matthew 13:11, 13). Jesus began to veil the truth with parables and metaphors as a direct result of the Jewish leaders’ official denunciation of Him.

Again, the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit cannot be repeated today, although some people try. Jesus Christ is not on earth—He is seated at the right hand of God. No one can personally witness Jesus performing a miracle and then attribute that power to Satan instead of the Spirit.

The unpardonable sin today is the state of continued unbelief. The Spirit currently convicts the unsaved world of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:8). To resist that conviction and willfully remain unrepentant is to “blaspheme” the Spirit. There is no pardon, either in this age or in the age to come, for a person who rejects the Spirit’s promptings to trust in Jesus Christ and then dies in unbelief. The love of God is evident: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). And the choice is clear: “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him” (John 3:36).

Go through all of these verses, individually.

Reactions: Subaru17
Upvote 0

Subaru17

Apr 4, 2017
Usa
✟21,404.00
Marital Status
Single
the above is good advice, unfortunately all an OCD brain will read is

"The unpardonable sin today is the state of continued unbelief. The Spirit currently convicts the unsaved world of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:8). To resist that conviction and willfully remain unrepentant is to “blaspheme” the Spirit. There is no pardon, either in this age or in the age to come, for a person who rejects the Spirit’s promptings to trust in Jesus Christ and then dies in unbelief"

And in a few days Kywy or another OCDer like myself will be on here talking about how they are stuck in a state of continued unbelief and they feel convicted but they don't care to listen. The OCD will literally convince them of these things and at the very least have them terrified that they will suddenly one day have unbelief and then be dammned i.e. "what if on my deathbed my last thought is that I dont believe in Jesus?!?!"

The only way to get better fully is to combine mental/spiritual counseling/ seeking professional help.

• Winner
Reactions: Evan Briggs
Upvote 0

Kywy

May 21, 2017
USA
✟22,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What prompted all this though is that the devil is the father of lies and it got me questioning everything like "what if this is just a trick?" And thats why i feel i have blasphemed for doubting God and actually even questioning this. How could i be so evil to question this?

Upvote 0

Evan Briggs

Jul 7, 2017
Mesa
✟17,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I beleive in Jesus but I continue in unrepentant sin, I don't ask for forgiveness but I feel guilty all the time, does this mean I'm done with??? I want to repent but I can't

Why do you not ask for forgiveness?

Upvote 0

Evan Briggs

Jul 7, 2017
Mesa
✟17,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What prompted all this though is that the devil is the father of lies and it got me questioning everything like "what if this is just a trick?" And thats why i feel i have blasphemed for doubting God and actually even questioning this. How could i be so evil to question this?

Brother, I get those thoughts often as well. Hold onto Gods goodness and what He has done in your life. Dont listen to the lies.

Its a trick to trick you into thinking that its a trick. The devil is very subtle on his deception, captivate those thoughts and cast them out by the name of Jesus Christ!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fish Catcher Jim

Radically Saved
Feb 19, 2015
SW MI for now
✟19,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do not seem to understand specifically what blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is then.

It is a specific thing. It must be someone attributing a miracle of God to the devil, performed by God (ie. Jesus).

You would then know that this particular sin is not possible today for us.

All other actions are forgivable..

Its that simple

Actually you might want to humble yourself and seek deeper into this.
Blessings

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
the above is good advice, unfortunately all an OCD brain will read is

"The unpardonable sin today is the state of continued unbelief. The Spirit currently convicts the unsaved world of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:8). To resist that conviction and willfully remain unrepentant is to “blaspheme” the Spirit. There is no pardon, either in this age or in the age to come, for a person who rejects the Spirit’s promptings to trust in Jesus Christ and then dies in unbelief"

And in a few days Kywy or another OCDer like myself will be on here talking about how they are stuck in a state of continued unbelief and they feel convicted but they don't care to listen. The OCD will literally convince them of these things and at the very least have them terrified that they will suddenly one day have unbelief and then be dammned i.e. "what if on my deathbed my last thought is that I dont believe in Jesus?!?!"

The only way to get better fully is to combine mental/spiritual counseling/ seeking professional help.
I don't have OCD so I'm not judging you at all. But some of it is lack of faith in God and God's Word being true.

Why are you struggling with what God has already told you is the way it is? Sometimes we need to overcome ourselves and trust God.

Think about that, ok? Faith is "belief in the things hoped for". Have faith and stand firm in that faith. God doesn't lie and His is the ONLY opinion that matters.

Be blessed.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Actually you might want to humble yourself and seek deeper into this.
Blessings
Why?

You use nothing but your opinion and think that holds any weight in proving me wrong?

How many years have you studied the Bible? Do you even study the Bible?

Of course you have no idea what it says and now are using your opinion to prove me wrong? You need better ammunition. Get into God's Word and prove me wrong .... I'll wait...... :swoon:

Upvote 0

LostChildinTheMidst

Jun 28, 2017
Christian
✟32,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why do you not ask for forgiveness?
Because don't get me wrong I want to, but God looks at the heart he knws whether I'm truly sorry or not. I don't want to keep saying "sorry" but continue sinning or hurting him. Because I know how that feels and how annoying it is

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Blasphemy is doing or saying something that disrespects God.

We are talking the unforgivable sin here. That is the subject and that is not it.

My interpretation of blaspheming the Holy Ghost is just as bad as never accepting the free gift of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Why do you need your own interpretation when scripture on that is very clear?

You are only in reference to one type or action of blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

there is only one unforgivable sin. You guys seem to insist on branching off just on the blasphemy part, then calling blasphemy in itself, or any form of it, the unforgivable sin, when it is not. Scripture is clear on what it is, and there is only the one unforgivable sin.

Yes, blasphemy covers a wide range of things, however, the unforgivable sin is not all ranges of blasphemy, only the one in scripture.

Would it not be blasphemy to question Gods goodness?

Maybe, but that has nothing to so wit the OP.

I do wish these all knowing preaches would leave you folks alone and stop interjecting their own thoughts as fact into what the unforgivable sin is.

Post 10 got it right, and that is all it is, nothing more, nada.

Read the post, read this Mark 3:22–30, remember it and teach the truth instead of the what attention seeking, smarter than the Bible preachers want to put out there as fact.

Believe the word of God, not the word of men.

That said, as others have mentioned, this is a very common problem with OCDr's, and I very much feel for you, especially when it comes to this particular area of the compulsion. I can only imagine it messes with your whole outlook on life, even life itself when it comes to eternity.

If you have OCD, you are not in control, if you are not in control, you are not guilty of any wrong doing. And that is even if you have actually committed the sin and I seriously doubt you have. I would suggest you train yourselves to remember that and relax. Sure, not a perfect solution, and easier said than done, but unless you can get rid of the OCD, I know of no other way to make you feel better.

If you haven't sought help for the problem, I suggest you do for your own well being. What kind of help? On that part I'm not 100% sure, but I hear medication can help, however, prayer/faith may be your best bet due to what I think it likely the cause of OCD.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Because don't get me wrong I want to, but God looks at the heart he knws whether I'm truly sorry or not. I don't want to keep saying "sorry" but continue sinning or hurting him. Because I know how that feels and how annoying it is
You should read the Bible so that you understand God and His Holy character.

God tells us to repent. Repent of our sin and pray for ourselves and others. You are not following God correctly by deciding what you will do instead of going to God and His Word to find out what God commands you to do.

When we repent, God always forgives us and then get's rid of all that sin. God's Word tells us that God casts forgiven sin as far as the east is from the west. He then is able to cleanse us of all that unrighteousness and that puts us back in to a place of peace with God. He tells us that is what we are to do.

To grow spiritually, we need to keep going back to that place of repentance and forgiveness. So He can cleanse us of all unrighteousness. Keep your spiritual gas tank full at all times and in peak performance.

Then pray for the Holy Spirit to convict you and put it on your heart to turn from sin in the future.

That is the way we are to handle that situation.

We don't hurt God per se with our sins maybe in the way you are thinking of it. God has a plan for each of us. A marvelous, personal plan. When we stay in unrepented, unforgiven sin and unrighteousness that hurts our spiritual life and our prayer life. Jesus gave us a great gift in the forgiveness of sins, so we can pick ourselves back up and do better.

Hope this helps you.

Upvote 0

Subaru17

Apr 4, 2017
Usa
✟21,404.00
Marital Status
Single
All this argument/discussion about what is blasphemy and what is not, is not necessarily helpful to the OP question/quandary imo.

You could say that to blaspheme is to think about the color yellow, make a somewhat convincing argument, get the OCDer to doubt once and then boom the OCDer is having compulsive/obsessive thoughts about the color yellow.

The way forward is to trust in a loving God, who wants you to have eternal salvation and is trying to give it to you.

And get professional
Help for a non spiritual issue. OCD

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Kywy, I think I've posted on some of your other threads. There's a lot of information on here, and some of it is good. BUT my advice for you is to treat this like OCD - because it is. Read all of Subaru17's posts. He's spot on! And if you need help with techniques for fighting this, please ask!!

Upvote 0

Fish Catcher Jim

Radically Saved
Feb 19, 2015
SW MI for now
✟19,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why?

You use nothing but your opinion and think that holds any weight in proving me wrong?

How many years have you studied the Bible? Do you even study the Bible?

Of course you have no idea what it says and now are using your opinion to prove me wrong? You need better ammunition. Get into God's Word and prove me wrong .... I'll wait...... :swoon:

Scripture says test the spirit and right here it shows flesh. The Holy Spirit is not leading you to speak as such.

Remember you only know it part and the part you don't know is as the holes in your doctrine.
Blessings

Upvote 0