• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Kywy

May 21, 2017
USA
✟22,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am really worried that I have blasphemed the Holy Spirit. I have read over and over if i am worried about it then i havent done it but thats not in the Bible. Blasphemy is doing or saying something that disrespects God. I really think i did this against the Holy Spirit. I trusted in Jesus when I was 12, but i read about the unforgiveable sinw whe i was 15. I didnt get a lot of the normal blasphemous thoughts though even though I have OCD because i thought u had to actually believe the Jesus was evil. So i instead got thoughts making me actually doubt. The pharisees were accusing jesus of being evil, and my thoughts got me doubting like "what if the pharisees were right?" But it wasnt just a passing thought. It was an on going doubt for about a month. But the really blasphemous part is when i started trying to search for proof on google that Jesus and the Holy Spirit are good. I actaully typed into google my most blasphemous thought (not as a quote) to find evidence that Jesus is good to shut down my doubts. But these doubts seem so blasphemous since they were disrespectful to the Holy Spirit and were completely unreasobable. I was so worried that i would believe my thoughts and commit the unforgiveable sin. But i think it turns out my doubts were the unforgiveable sin and my actions to stop my doubts. I didnt want to believe them. I knew Jesus was God and Jesus miracles were by the Holy Spirit. And i believe that with all my heart and I believe with all my heart thay Jesus is Lord. But i am so scared that i cant be forgiven. I have repented and asked God for forgiveness so many times. Im just so worried though.

Last edited:

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am really worried that I have blasphemed the Holy Spirit. I have read over and over if i am worried about it then i havent done it but thats not in the Bible. Blasphemy is doing or saying something that disrespects God. I really think i did this against the Holy Spirit. I trusted in Jesus when I was 12, but i read about the unforgiveable sinw whe i was 15. I didnt get a lot of the normal blasphemous thoughts though even though I have OCD because i thought u had to actually believe the Jesus was evil. So i instead got thoughts making me actually doubt. The pharisees were accusing jesus of being evil, and my thoughts got me doubting like "what if the pharisees were right?" But it wasnt just a passing thought. It was an on going doubt for about a month. But the really blasphemous part is when i started trying to search for proof on google that Jesus and the Holy Spirit are good. I actaully typed into google my most blasphemous thought (not as a quote) to find evidence that Jesus is good to shut down my doubts. But these doubts seem so blasphemous since they were disrespectful to the Holy Spirit and were completely unreasobable. I was so worried that i would believe my thoughts and commit the unforgiveable sin. But i think it turns out my doubts were the unforgiveable sin and my actions to stop my doubts. I didnt want to believe them. I knew Jesus was God and Jesus miracles were by the Holy Spirit. And i believe that with all my heart and I believe with all my heart thay Jesus is Lord. But i am so scared that i cant be forgiven. I have repented and asked God for forgiveness so many times. Im just so worried though.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No such thing as unforgivable sin. God will forgive anything as long as you truly repent. That a the beautiful simplicity of it. The blood of the lamb washes us clean.

Upvote 0

Evan Briggs

Jul 7, 2017
Mesa
✟17,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you have blasphemed the Holy Ghost, I dont think you would be on here questioning if you did.

Because if you did, you would probably not be worried about doing that.

The devil loves to use doubt and fear. Rebuke that thought in Jesus name!

Reactions: Kywy
Upvote 0

Fish Catcher Jim

Radically Saved
Feb 19, 2015
SW MI for now
✟19,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings @Kywy ,
The Unpardonable sin is Rejecting Jesus.
Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is also rejecting the Holy Spirit.

Once you have done this, The Holy Spirit will leave you and satan will reenter you worse then when you were not saved and in this world.

Once this happens then you will have no concern about this or Jesus etc.

So Rejoice you have not done the unpardonable sin.

1John1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Simply repent and get this all behind you and don't dig it up again.
Blessings
FCJ

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have repented and asked God for forgiveness
And thats all you do, theres no if ands or buts. Just keep resisting and you will be fine, Jesus knows your heart. JUST BELIEVE IN HIM and NOT YOURSELF ;)

TAKE ONE STEP AT A TIME :handpointdown::handpointdown:

6478f52f46ccd2eef613d701465e459a.gif

Upvote 0

Fish Catcher Jim

Radically Saved
Feb 19, 2015
SW MI for now
✟19,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No such thing as unforgivable sin. God will forgive anything as long as you truly repent. That a the beautiful simplicity of it. The blood of the lamb washes us clean.
That is not true.

Upvote 0

LostChildinTheMidst

Jun 28, 2017
Christian
✟32,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are not alone in this, me being in highschool now since I was 8 years old I used to have blasphemous thoughts that were uncontrollable in my mind, yesterday I felt immense guilt over the sin I thought it was over for me. I will pray for you dear friend. God bless you

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am really worried that I have blasphemed the Holy Spirit. I have read over and over if i am worried about it then i havent done it but thats not in the Bible. Blasphemy is doing or saying something that disrespects God. I really think i did this against the Holy Spirit.
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is very specific in Christianity.

It is not just "saying something that disrespects God", it is defined in the Bible and is NOT what you are saying it is. It is very, very specific. Read the text below.

Question: "What is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?"

Answer:
The concept of “blasphemy against the Spirit” is mentioned in Mark 3:22–30 and Matthew 12:22–32. Jesus has just performed a miracle. A demon-possessed man was brought to Jesus, and the Lord cast the demon out, healing the man of blindness and muteness. The eyewitnesses to this exorcism began to wonder if Jesus was indeed the Messiah they had been waiting for. A group of Pharisees, hearing the talk of the Messiah, quickly quashed any budding faith in the crowd: “It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons,” they said (Matthew 12:24).

Jesus rebuts the Pharisees with some logical arguments for why He is not casting out demons in the power of Satan (Matthew 12:25–29). Then He speaks of the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit: “I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come” (verses 31–32).

The term blasphemy may be generally defined as “defiant irreverence.” The term can be applied to such sins as cursing God or willfully degrading things relating to God. Blasphemy is also attributing some evil to God or denying Him some good that we should attribute to Him. This particular case of blasphemy, however, is called “the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit” in Matthew 12:31. The Pharisees, having witnessed irrefutable proof that Jesus was working miracles in the power of the Holy Spirit, claimed instead that the Lord was possessed by a demon (Matthew 12:24). Notice in Mark 3:30 Jesus is very specific about what the Pharisees did to commit blasphemy against the Holy Spirit: “He said this because they were saying, ‘He has an impure spirit.’”

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit has to do with accusing Jesus Christ of being demon-possessed instead of Spirit-filled. This particular type of blasphemy cannot be duplicated today. The Pharisees were in a unique moment in history: they had the Law and the Prophets, they had the Holy Spirit stirring their hearts, they had the Son of God Himself standing right in front of them, and they saw with their own eyes the miracles He did. Never before in the history of the world (and never since) had so much divine light been granted to men; if anyone should have recognized Jesus for who He was, it was the Pharisees. Yet they chose defiance. They purposely attributed the work of the Spirit to the devil, even though they knew the truth and had the proof. Jesus declared their willful blindness to be unpardonable. Their blasphemy against the Holy Spirit was their final rejection of God’s grace. They had set their course, and God was going to let them sail into perdition unhindered.

Jesus told the crowd that the Pharisees’ blasphemy against the Holy Spirit “will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come” (Matthew 12:32). This is another way of saying that their sin would never be forgiven, ever. Not now, not in eternity. As Mark 3:29 puts it, “They are guilty of an eternal sin.”

The immediate result of the Pharisees’ public rejection of Christ (and God’s rejection of them) is seen in the next chapter. Jesus, for the first time, “told them many things in parables” (Matthew 13:3; cf. Mark 4:2). The disciples were puzzled at Jesus’ change of teaching method, and Jesus explained His use of parables: “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. . . . Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand” (Matthew 13:11, 13). Jesus began to veil the truth with parables and metaphors as a direct result of the Jewish leaders’ official denunciation of Him.

Again, the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit cannot be repeated today, although some people try. Jesus Christ is not on earth—He is seated at the right hand of God. No one can personally witness Jesus performing a miracle and then attribute that power to Satan instead of the Spirit.

The unpardonable sin today is the state of continued unbelief. The Spirit currently convicts the unsaved world of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:8). To resist that conviction and willfully remain unrepentant is to “blaspheme” the Spirit. There is no pardon, either in this age or in the age to come, for a person who rejects the Spirit’s promptings to trust in Jesus Christ and then dies in unbelief. The love of God is evident: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). And the choice is clear: “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him” (John 3:36).
What is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?

Just let it go, you could not have done this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Evan Briggs

Jul 7, 2017
Mesa
✟17,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My interpretation of blaspheming the Holy Ghost is just as bad as never accepting the free gift of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

So if you would live a life of never accepting the truth, which is revealed by the Holy Spirit. Then that is blaspheming the Holy Spirit in my eyes.

You will have to pray on this understanding though, as Jesus forgives all sin!

Upvote 0

TurtleFish The Challenged

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2017
New York
✟44,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have OCD too and have had been in the mire of despair that is "the belief that I have committed the unpardonable sin". I have no concern or doubt in myself that you are guilty of such charges! Satan is so clever in getting into our mind, he is the author of doubt, and God is not the author of confusion 1st Corinthians 14:33. I will pray you receive knowledge rather than doubt. I also pray you receive peace rather than torment. Amen. Keep us updated, I know personally it's a struggle and not easy. Be filled with the Bible and not the Devil's folly. He will keep you in sin and away from truth. God bless you Kywy

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You guys should look into Scrupuloscity. It is a mental illness many with OCD have that makes a person obsess over religous issues.

Never knew it was something until about 4 years ago and found out about it here on CF. Have met a lot of people with it here. You may find it helpful or you may have it. Educate yourself everyone.

1. Scrupulosity
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This article is about pathological guilt over religious or moral issues. For related terms, see Scruple (disambiguation).
    Scrupulosity is characterized by pathological guilt about moral or religious issues. It is personally distressing, objectively dysfunctional, and often accompanied by significant impairment in social functioning.[1][2] It is typically conceptualized as a moral or religious form of obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD),[3] although this categorization is empirically disputable.[1]

The term is derived from the Latin scrupulum, a sharp stone, implying a stabbing pain on the conscience.[1] Scrupulosity was formerly called scruples in religious contexts, but the word scruples now commonly refers to a troubling of the conscience rather than to the disorder.

As a personality trait, scrupulosity is a recognized diagnostic criterion for obsessive–compulsive personality disorder.[4] It is sometimes called "scrupulousness", but that word properly applies to the positive trait of having scruples.[citation needed]

ContentsHistory

John Moore (shown c. 1691–1703) was the first to describe the disorder, calling it "religious melancholy".[5]
    Scrupulosity is a modern-day psychological problem that echoes a traditional use of the term scruples in a religious context, e.g. by Roman Catholics, to mean obsessive concern with one's own sins and compulsive performance of religious devotion.[6] This use of the term dates to the 12th century.[7] Several historical and religious figures suffered from doubts of sin, and expressed their pains. Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Jesuits, wrote "After I have trodden upon a cross formed by two straws ... there comes to me from without a thought that I have sinned ... this is probably a scruple and temptation suggested by the enemy."[8] Alphonsus Liguori, the Redemptorists' founder, wrote of it as "groundless fear of sinning that arises from 'erroneous ideas'".[7] Although the condition was lifelong for Loyola and Liguori,[9][10] Thérèse of Lisieux stated that she recovered from her condition after 18 months, writing "One would have to pass through this martyrdom to understand it well, and for me to express what I experienced for a year and a half would be impossible."[11] Martin Luther also suffered from obsessive doubts; in his mind, his omitting the word enim ("for") during the Eucharist was as horrible as laziness, divorce, or murdering one's parent.[12]

Although historical religious figures such as Loyola, Luther and John Bunyan are commonly cited as examples of scrupulosity in modern self-help books, some of these retrospective diagnoses may be deeply ahistorical: these figures' obsession with salvation may have been excessive by modern standards, but that does not mean that it was pathological.[13]

Scrupulosity's first known public description as a disorder was in 1691, by John Moore, who called it "religious melancholy" and said it made people "fear, that what they do, is so defective and unfit to be presented unto God, that he will not accept it".[5] Loyola, Liguori, the French confessor R.P. Duguet, and other religious authorities and figures attempted to develop solutions and coping mechanisms;[1] the monthly newsletter Scrupulous Anonymous, published by the followers of Liguori, has been used as an adjunct to therapy.[14] In the 19th century, Christian spiritual advisors in the U.S. and Britain became worried that scrupulosity was not only a sin in itself, but also led to sin, by attacking the virtues of faith, hope, and charity. Studies in the mid-20th century reported that scrupulosity was a major problem among American Catholics, with up to 25 per cent of high school students affected; commentators at the time asserted that this was an increase over previous levels.[15]

Starting in the 20th century, individuals with scrupulosity in the U.S. and Britain increasingly began looking to psychiatrists, rather than to religious advisors, for help with the condition.[15]

Characteristics
    In scrupulosity, a person's obsessions focus on moral or religious fears, such as the fear of being an evil person or the fear of divine retribution for sin. Although it can affect nonreligious people, it is usually related to religious beliefs. In the strict sense, not all obsessive–compulsive behaviors related to religion are instances of scrupulosity: strictly speaking, for example, scrupulosity is not present in people who repeat religious requirements merely to be sure that they were done properly.[16]

Treatment
    Treatment is similar to that for other forms of obsessive–compulsive disorder.[17] Exposure and response prevention (ERP), a form of behavior therapy, is widely used for OCD in general and may be promising for scrupulosity in particular.[1][2] ERP is based on the idea that deliberate repeated exposure to obsessional stimuli lessens anxiety, and that avoiding rituals lowers the urge to behave compulsively. For example, with ERP a person obsessed by blasphemous thoughts while reading the Bible would practice reading the Bible.[17][18] However, ERP is considerably harder to implement than with other disorders, because scrupulosity often involves spiritual issues that are not specific situations and objects. For example, ERP is not appropriate for a man obsessed by feelings that God has rejected and is punishing him. Cognitive therapy may be appropriate when ERP is not feasible.[1] Other therapy strategies include noting contradictions between the compulsive behaviors and moral or religious teachings, and informing individuals that for centuries religious figures have suggested strategies similar to ERP.[17] Religious counseling may be an additional way to readjust beliefs associated with the disorder, though it may also stimulate greater anxiety.[1]

Little evidence is available on the use of medications to treat scrupulosity.[1] Although serotonergic medications are often used to treat OCD,[17] studies of pharmacologic treatment of scrupulosity in particular have produced so few results that even tentative recommendations cannot be made.[1]

Treatment of scrupulosity in children has not been investigated to the extent it has been studied in adults, and one of the factors that makes the treatment difficult is the fine line the therapist must walk between engaging and offending the client.[19]

Epidemiology
    The prevalence of scrupulosity is speculative. Available data do not permit reliable estimates, and available analyses mostly disregard associations with age or with gender, and have not reliably addressed associations with geography or ethnicity.[1] Available data suggest that the prevalence of obsessive–compulsive disorder does not differ by culture, except where prevalence rates differ for all psychiatric disorders. No association between OCD and depth of religious beliefs has been demonstrated, although data are scarce.[16] There are large regional differences in the percentage of OCD patients who have religious obsessions or compulsions, ranging from 0–7% in countries like the U.K. and Singapore, to 40–60% in traditional Muslim and orthodox Jewish populations.[8]

References
  2. Miller CH, Hedges DW. Scrupulosity disorder: an overview and introductory analysis. J Anxiety Disord. 2008;22(6):1042–58. doi:10.1016/j.janxdis.2007.11.004. PMID 18226490.
  3. "Scrupulosity: A cognitive–behavioral analysis and implications for treatment". Retrieved 2015-11-10.
  4. Deacon B, Nelson EA. On the nature and treatment of scrupulosity [PDF]. Pragmatic Case Stud Psychother. 2008;4(2):39–53. doi:10.14713/pcsp.v4i2.932.
  5. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 4th, text revision (DSM-IV-TR) ed. 2000. ISBN 0-89042-025-4. Diagnostic criteria for 301.4 Obsessive–compulsive personality disorder.
  6. López-Ibor JJ Jr, López-Ibor Alcocer MI. Religious experience and psychopathology [PDF]. In: Verhagen P, Van Praag HM, López-Ibor JJ Jr, Cox J, Moussaoui D, editors. Religion and Psychiatry: Beyond Boundaries. Wiley; 2010. ISBN 978-0-470-69471-8. p. 211–33.
  7. Ciarrocchi JW. The Doubting Disease: Help for Scrupulosity and Religious Compulsions. Mahwah, NJ: Paulist Press; 1995. ISBN 0-8091-3553-1. Scruples: common and uncommon. p. 32–47.
  8. Taylor CZ. Religious addiction: obsession with spirituality. Pastoral Psych. 2002;50(4):291–315. doi:10.1023/A:1014074130084.
  9. van Megen HJGM, den Boer-Wolters D, Verhagen PJ. Obsessive compulsive disorder and religion: a reconnaissance. In: Verhagen P, Van Praag HM, López-Ibor JJ Jr, Cox J, Moussaoui D, editors. Religion and Psychiatry: Beyond Boundaries. Wiley; 2010. ISBN 978-0-470-69471-8. p. 271–82.
  10. Rose S. St. Ignatius Loyola And The Early Jesuits. 2007. ISBN 1-4086-2255-6. Manresa—the spiritual exercises—1523. p. 45–71.
  11. Alphonsus de Liguori. Peace for scrupulous souls. In: Jones FM, editor and translator. Selected Writings. Mahwah, NJ: Paulist Press; 1999. ISBN 0-8091-3771-2. p. 209–18.
  12. Monahan J. Thérèse of Lisieux. Paulist Press; 2003. ISBN 0-8091-6710-7. p. 45.
  13. Aho JA. Confession and Bookkeeping: the Religious, Moral, and Rhetorical Roots of Modern Accounting. Albany: State University of New York Press; 2005. ISBN 0-7914-6545-4. Martin Luther and scrupulosity. p. 95–8.
  14. Cefalu P. The doubting disease: religious scrupulosity and obsessive–compulsive disorder in historical context. J Med Humanit. 2010. doi:10.1007/s10912-010-9107-3. PMID 20127153.
  15. Ciarrocchi. The Doubting Disease. Getting help for scruples and OCD. p. 103–12.
  16. Bourke J. Divine madness: the dilemma of religious scruples in twentieth-century America and Britain. J Soc Hist. 2009;42(3):581–603. doi:10.1353/jsh.0.0152.
  17. Huppert JD, Siev J, Kushner ES. When religion and obsessive–compulsive disorder collide: treating scrupulosity in Ultra-Orthodox Jews. J Clin Psychol. 2007;63(10):925–41. doi:10.1002/jclp.20404. PMID 17828763.
  18. Abramowitz JS. Scrupulosity. In: Abramowitz JS, McKay D, Taylor S. Clinical Handbook of Obsessive–Compulsive Disorder and Related Problems. Johns Hopkins University Press; 2008. ISBN 0-8018-8697-X. p. 156–72.
  19. Abramowitz, Jonathan S.; Deacon, Brett J.; Whiteside, Stephen P. H. (2011-03-14). Exposure Therapy for Anxiety: Principles and Practice. Guilford Press. ISBN 9781609180171.
    McKay D, Storch EA, Nelson B, Morales M, Moretz MW. Obsessive–compulsive disorder in children and adolescents: treating difficult cases. In: McKay D, Storch EA, editors. Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Children: Treating Complex and Refractory Cases. Springer; 2009. ISBN 0-8261-1686-8. p. 81–114.

Upvote 0

Subaru17

Apr 4, 2017
Usa
✟21,404.00
Marital Status
Single
KYWY,

Idk if you are seeing a therapist or psychiatrist but I really think you should. You should also talk to a pastor or someone at your church who understands mental health issues.

As far as you not having a lot of intrusive blasphemous thoughts like most OCD people, that doesn't mean it isn't OCD. Also OCD is insidious, it attacked your reasoning that if you didn't believe Jesus was false you couldn't blaspheme so then it made you worry that you thought he was false.

For example I have OCD, so when I thought blasphemy was swears at God that's what I thought.

Then when I told myself that it was actually rejecting the Holy Spirit, that's what I thought.

Then when I thought it was not caring if you were saved or damnned, that's what I thought.

But these are all OCD thoughts. And you cannot reason away your
OCD. You can use the Bible to help you but for every verse that you use to help yourself feel better OCD will counter with another.

The only way to being truly cured, especially if you also have non religious OCD as well is to combine a good therapist, psychiatrist and a belief that God is a loving God, and that Jesus
Died on the cross for all of our sins and shortcomings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Moral Scrupulosity in OCD: Cognitive Distortions
By OCD Center of Los Angeles On June 17, 2014 · 41 Comments · In Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

Follow @ocdla

This is the third installment in our ongoing series on Scrupulosity, a sub-type of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) focused on religious or moral perfectionism. This article focuses exclusively on identifying and challenging common cognitive distortions seen in “moral” Scrupulosity.

Moral-Scrupulosity-300.jpg

Those struggling with Moral Scrupulosity OCD can
learn to challenge their distorted thinking.

Previous articles in this series have focused on religious Scrupulosity, which is most easily described as a pattern of intrusive, unwanted thoughts related to one’s religious beliefs. These unwanted thoughts are counter to the sufferer’s faith, and lead them to perform compulsive behaviors in an attempt to nullify or extinguish the anxiety they experience related to these thoughts.

Conversely, the obsessions experienced in “moral” Scrupulosity are focused not on matters of faith, but rather on one’s personal sense of morals and ethics. Those suffering with moral Scrupulosity experience commonplace thoughts, feelings and actions that they misinterpret as being evidence that they are ethically flawed or morally bankrupt. As with all sub-types of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), those with moral Scrupulosity seek relief from their anxiety through various compulsive and avoidant means in an effort to ensure that their obsessive fears do not come true. In other words, they perform compulsive behaviors that they hope will prevent or eliminate the feeling that they are a “bad” person.

Moral Scrupulosity presents unique challenges that make treatment more ambiguous and difficult in contrast with religious Scrupulosity. For example, religious faiths have codified rules for approved beliefs and behaviors that can be verified via scripture, or by consulting with certain authority figures (priests, rabbis, imams, etc.). Conversely, there are no fixed, objective definitions of “good” and “bad”, or “right” and “wrong”. In times of doubt, individuals with moral Scrupulosity have no specific religious text or church elder to whom they can turn for counsel. Their personal belief system – their “moral compass” – is generally based not on religious scripture or orthodoxy, but rather has developed over time through their upbringing and experience. Thus, for those with moral Scrupulosity, determining precisely what is “right” or “wrong” can be exponentially more difficult. At the same time, those suffering with moral Scrupulosity often have a rigid, perfectionistic belief that they must strictly adhere to their personal moral code in all matters, regardless of the situation or context. Failure to do so is often considered unacceptable, no matter how slight the infraction.

Cognitive Distortions in Moral Scrupulosity
As with all forms of OCD, the most effective treatment for moral Scrupulosity is Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT). The main cognitive tenet of CBT is that irrational and unreasonable beliefs (known as cognitive distortions) influence subsequent feelings and behaviors. The central tool used in correcting these faulty beliefs is Cognitive Restructuring, which helps the sufferer to gain a more realistic perspective in three ways:

• Building the sufferer’s awareness of their obsessional thought patterns
  • Identifying how their obsessional thoughts are distorted and unrealistic
  • Challenging these cognitive distortions with thoughts that are more rational and realistic
Some examples of cognitive distortions commonly experienced by those with moral Scrupulosity are:

• All-or-Nothing Thinking (Black and White Thinking)
    • “I may have heard someone talking about part of the test yesterday, so I’ll be a cheater if I answer any of those questions.”
    • “If I accidentally under-report my income by $100 on my taxes, I’m committing major tax fraud.“
  • Discounting/ Minimizing the Positive
    • “It doesn’t matter that I often give money to homeless people – I’m a horrible person because I didn’t give any money to a homeless person today.”
    • “I am a terrible person because I didn’t prepare as well as I usually do for my team presentation at work.”
  • Emotional Reasoning
    • “I am a bad wife because I noticed another man who is attractive.”
    • “It would be really mean and unforgivable if I gave my classmate constructive criticism about her assignment.”
  • Should/ Must Thinking (Perfectionism)
    • “I must always tell the truth, no matter what, because it’s the right thing to do.”
    • “I should never drive over the speed limit, no matter what.”
  • Hyper-Responsibility
    • “If I don’t remind my wife to wear her seatbelt, she’ll be in violation of the law and it’ll be my fault.”
    • “I cannot watch the movie Free Willy because it’ll mean I’m supporting harm to Killer Whales.”
The goal of cognitive restructuring is to challenge and replace irrational, fear-based beliefs with thoughts that are more reasonable, realistic, and objective. For example, one can challenge the belief that they should never find anyone but their spouse attractive with a more realistic thought that it is normal to find other people attractive, and that what really matters is what one chooses to do in response to those feelings. Likewise, one can challenge the thought that they are a cheater because they heard other students talking about an exam by reminding themselves that they studied hard, and already knew the answers to the questions that were on the test.

It is worth noting that the process of cognitive restructuring has the potential to become a compulsion in its own right. When challenging your distorted thinking, it is important that you not compulsively review either your obsessive thoughts, or your cognitive challenges to those thoughts. The goal is to quickly establish whether a thought is in fact distorted, and if so, to challenge it with a more balanced thought. If you find yourself repeatedly evaluating whether your cognitive challenge is “good” or “right”, it’s a good bet that you are inadvertently using cognitive restructuring as a compulsion.

Ultimately, the long-term goal of cognitive restructuring is to stop blindly accepting the irrational thoughts that present themselves to your mind, and to instead develop a pattern of challenging them. With conscious effort, your mind’s default position will shift from unquestioning acceptance of distorted thoughts to a more realistic way of thinking that is based on reason rather than fear.

Common Challenges in Cognitive Restructuring for Moral Scrupulosity
Of course, this process is not as simple as it sounds. The human mind loves to create disastrous scenarios, and it is likely to take repeated effort over time to change well-established thought patterns. Furthermore, reality is not as cut-and-dried as logic. For example, take the issue of driving no higher than the speed limit. Most people would agree that, as part of being a responsible member of society, it is generally a good idea to follow traffic laws. And if you don’t, you may get a speeding ticket with a hefty fine, or worse, have an avoidable accident.

However, in some situations it may be advisable to break the law and go above the speed limit, such as in the case of exceptionally fast moving freeway traffic. Even the DMV would advise you match the average speed of others on the road. In other situations, such as an emergency drive to the hospital or some other life-threatening scenario, driving faster than the posted speed limit may actually be a matter of life and death.

These exceptions to the rule illustrate the grey-area nature of real life. Simply put, there are some situations where not being entirely “good” or “right” is preferred, or even necessary. It is also worth noting that bringing logic and reason to emotion may not always change a feeling – try to reason your way into, or out of, loving someone. Now imagine the difficulty of challenging a thought for which there are no codified laws, such as being honest with your spouse, or exhibiting responsibility towards others.

As this suggests, given the inherent ambiguity of trying to “live right”, challenging cognitive distortions will only get one so far in managing moral Scrupulosity. As noted above, in contrast to religious Scrupulosity, moral behavior has no standard doctrine for behavior or belief. For example, a common belief is “It is wrong to kill another person”. But in the case of war or self-defense it may be necessary. Likewise, most people believe it is wrong to steal. But if your family is starving to death, stealing may be the most noble option possible.

A more common moral ambiguity faced by many people in America is the matter of “tipping” for services rendered. By American standards, most people consider tipping a “good” thing to do. However, there is no hard and fast rule for the amount one should tip – 10%, 15%, 20%? If you ask ten people, you are likely to get ten different opinions, including variations based on the type of service being rendered, and how well the service was provided.

But a person suffering with moral Scrupulosity may be obsessively concerned with how much to tip, and with the criteria by which that decision is made. Their belief is that they must tip the “right” amount. It is a moral imperative. Furthermore, their anxiety may be exacerbated by their exaggerated fear of harming the person providing the service – “what if the waiter can’t pay his rent because of my tip being inadequate?”. All this concern over a gesture that by all objective measures is optional.

The Role of Values In Cognitive Restructuring for Moral Scrupulosity
Effective management of moral Scrupulosity ultimately comes down to making choices based on one’s motivation for action. In short, are your actions done because you prefer acting a certain way, and prefer a certain outcome, or because you are trying to avoid feelings of distress and anxiety related to your irrational fears. For individuals in the throes of moral Scrupulosity, simple everyday decisions are often based not on choice, but on fear. Do you tip 20% because it makes you feel good to support the hard work of others, or because tipping less would result in your feeling guilty, anxious, or fearful? Since a firm standard does not exist, it seems reasonable that one should act in accordance with their true values, while accepting the potential costs of upholding those values (such as feeling short-term guilt, or worrying that others may possibly think you’re stingy).

In order to guide your choices by your values, you first need to evaluate both the intended action, and the perceived consequences of alternative choices. If you are suffering with moral Scrupulosity, consider asking yourself these questions when faced with a situation in which you are experiencing moral ambiguity:

• What does my OCD say will happen if I don’t do my compulsion?
  • What has been the outcome in previous situations in which I have experienced this moral concern?
  • Objectively, what is actually the most likely outcome?
  • What do I fear it will say about my character if I do something different?
  • Who or what suffers if I make my choice based on my fearful obsession?
  • What other possible choices can I can make in this situation?
  • What about my choice do I actually care about and want in my life?
  • Is my choice in this situation based on my true values, or on my fear of experiencing anxiety or discomfort?
  • What might I gain by choosing my action based on my true values rather than on fear?
Using these questions to evaluate a fear-based thought can help you decide if that thought is a cognitive distortion. And if your proposed action and its outcome do not align with your life goals and values, you can choose to instead accept the anxiety that comes with experiencing your irrational, distorted thought. The alternative – guiding your life with the goal of anxiety avoidance – will typically lead to an abandonment of the life you actually want.

Integrating Cognitive Restructuring, Values, and Behavioral Change
Taking control over your behaviors can be emotionally difficult, especially when what you have been doing “feels right” (even if it costs you time, money, energy, or relationships). The ultimate aim of treatment for moral Scrupulosity is to accept and tolerate temporary discomfort in order to gain eventual freedom by acting according to your true goals and values. A decision to do something different is entirely up to you, and will be motivated by your evaluation of the costs of avoiding anxiety versus the benefits of going against your fears by making bold, personally valuable choices.

If you determine that your behavioral responses to your irrational thoughts are out of sync with your values and character, the next step is to begin exercises to progressively challenge and change your actions in response to your fears. The best approach to this is a CBT technique called Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP), which is the most effective method of promoting both a tolerance of irrational feelings of anxiety, and a long-term reduction in distress. ERP for Scrupulosity will be discussed in greater detail in a following article. In the meantime, if you are suffering with moral Scrupulosity, remember that your excessive anxiety is an exaggerated response to feared, irrational thoughts. The path to freedom is to challenge these thoughts, accept short-term discomfort, resist giving in to compulsive behaviors, and act in accordance with your true goals and values.

To read part one of this series on Scrupulosity in OCD, click here.

To read part two in this series on Scrupulosity in OCD, click here.

•Kevin Foss, MFT and Tom Corboy, MFT are licensed psychotherapists at the OCD Center of Los Angeles, a private, outpatient clinic specializing in Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) for the treatment of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and related anxiety based conditions. In addition to individual therapy, the center offers four weekly therapy groups, as well as online therapy, telephone therapy, and intensive outpatient treatment. To contact the OCD Center of Los Angeles, click here.

Tagged with → Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT)HealthMental HealthObsessionsObsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)Pure Obsessional OCDScrupulosity

Upvote 0

Fish Catcher Jim

Radically Saved
Feb 19, 2015
SW MI for now
✟19,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit cannot be repeated today, although some people try. Jesus Christ is not on earth—He is seated at the right hand of God. No one can personally witness Jesus performing a miracle and then attribute that power to Satan instead of the Spirit.

You are only in reference to one type or action of blaspheming the Holy Spirit.
A born again believer who refuses more and more to not obey the Holy Spirit is on shaking ground.

The enemy gets more ground in them until one day they just push the Holy Spirit away.
Hebrews 6:4-6
CEV
4-6But what about people who turn away after they have already seen the light and have received the gift from heaven and have shared in the Holy Spirit? What about those who turn away after they have received the good message of God and the powers of the future world? There is no way to bring them back. What they are doing is the same as nailing the Son of God to a cross and insulting him in public!

KJV
4For it isimpossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5 and have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6 if they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put himto an open shame.

However if they come to themselves and see their error they can repent. ... HOWEVER very few get the chance because satan will set them up to be killed quickly and then their fate is set.

Blessings
FCJ

Upvote 0

LostChildinTheMidst

Jun 28, 2017
Christian
✟32,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is very specific in Christianity.

It is not just "saying something that disrespects God", it is defined in the Bible and is NOT what you are saying it is. It is very, very specific. Read the text below.

Question: "What is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?"

Answer:
The concept of “blasphemy against the Spirit” is mentioned in Mark 3:22–30 and Matthew 12:22–32. Jesus has just performed a miracle. A demon-possessed man was brought to Jesus, and the Lord cast the demon out, healing the man of blindness and muteness. The eyewitnesses to this exorcism began to wonder if Jesus was indeed the Messiah they had been waiting for. A group of Pharisees, hearing the talk of the Messiah, quickly quashed any budding faith in the crowd: “It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons,” they said (Matthew 12:24).

Jesus rebuts the Pharisees with some logical arguments for why He is not casting out demons in the power of Satan (Matthew 12:25–29). Then He speaks of the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit: “I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come” (verses 31–32).

The term blasphemy may be generally defined as “defiant irreverence.” The term can be applied to such sins as cursing God or willfully degrading things relating to God. Blasphemy is also attributing some evil to God or denying Him some good that we should attribute to Him. This particular case of blasphemy, however, is called “the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit” in Matthew 12:31. The Pharisees, having witnessed irrefutable proof that Jesus was working miracles in the power of the Holy Spirit, claimed instead that the Lord was possessed by a demon (Matthew 12:24). Notice in Mark 3:30 Jesus is very specific about what the Pharisees did to commit blasphemy against the Holy Spirit: “He said this because they were saying, ‘He has an impure spirit.’”

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit has to do with accusing Jesus Christ of being demon-possessed instead of Spirit-filled. This particular type of blasphemy cannot be duplicated today. The Pharisees were in a unique moment in history: they had the Law and the Prophets, they had the Holy Spirit stirring their hearts, they had the Son of God Himself standing right in front of them, and they saw with their own eyes the miracles He did. Never before in the history of the world (and never since) had so much divine light been granted to men; if anyone should have recognized Jesus for who He was, it was the Pharisees. Yet they chose defiance. They purposely attributed the work of the Spirit to the devil, even though they knew the truth and had the proof. Jesus declared their willful blindness to be unpardonable. Their blasphemy against the Holy Spirit was their final rejection of God’s grace. They had set their course, and God was going to let them sail into perdition unhindered.

Jesus told the crowd that the Pharisees’ blasphemy against the Holy Spirit “will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come” (Matthew 12:32). This is another way of saying that their sin would never be forgiven, ever. Not now, not in eternity. As Mark 3:29 puts it, “They are guilty of an eternal sin.”

The immediate result of the Pharisees’ public rejection of Christ (and God’s rejection of them) is seen in the next chapter. Jesus, for the first time, “told them many things in parables” (Matthew 13:3; cf. Mark 4:2). The disciples were puzzled at Jesus’ change of teaching method, and Jesus explained His use of parables: “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. . . . Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand” (Matthew 13:11, 13). Jesus began to veil the truth with parables and metaphors as a direct result of the Jewish leaders’ official denunciation of Him.

The unpardonable sin today is the state of continued unbelief. The Spirit currently convicts the unsaved world of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:8). To resist that conviction and willfully remain unrepentant is to “blaspheme” the Spirit. There is no pardon, either in this age or in the age to come, for a person who rejects the Spirit’s promptings to trust in Jesus Christ and then dies in unbelief. The love of God is evident: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). And the choice is clear: “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him” (John 3:36).
What is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?

Just let it go, you could not have done this.
I beleive in Jesus but I continue in unrepentant sin, I don't ask for forgiveness but I feel guilty all the time, does this mean I'm done with??? I want to repent but I can't

Upvote 0

Subaru17

Apr 4, 2017
Usa
✟21,404.00
Marital Status
Single
Also this quote

"But the really blasphemous part is when i started trying to search for proof on google that Jesus and the HolySpirit are good"

This is evidence that you don't really understand blasphemy and your fear is being driven purely by OCD, there is no really blasphemous, or slightly blasphemous etc etc. it's all the same.

Trying to reassure yourself on google isn't blasphemous, it's not a good way to get help because it isn't addressing your core issue "OCD". A better use of your time would searching for help from a therapist or psychiatrist and talking to a pastor or spiritual leader who understands mental
Illness.

Upvote 0