Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, here it is. Believe it or not, that's how this movement apparently began. Unless you have different info?

Black Lives Matter - Wikipedia

The movement began in July 2013, with the use of the hashtag #BlackLivesMatter on social media after the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the shooting death of African-American teen Trayvon Martin

A movement can start and be sustained by presenting false narratives that the gullible will believe because it reinforces their biases. Rational people don't do their best to ignore the facts involved of a situation even if it contradicts their biases. It seems to me that there is a dearth of rational people in the United States at the present time.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OJ Simpson was found "not guilty" and lost millions in a civil suit for "wrongful death."

The Martins could have done the same and probably would have easily won, but Zimmerman wasn't worth millions...even though their son's life was priceless.

Zimmerman had gotten into trouble with the law after his acquittal. Exactly how much "reputation" did he have to lose? Certainly not $100 million worth.

Instead, he showed himself to be the lowest of the low.
All of which has nothing to do with the fact that Zimmerman was having his head bashed in at the time he shot the person who had no reason what so ever to attack him. Martin was trying to kill Zimmerman and got exactly what he earned.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You just have Zimmerman's word that he didn't murder Trayvon and rough himself up a little to pretend it was self-defense.

You believe a wife beater who has been on trouble with the law since and who has filed other frivolous lawsuits before stooping to suing his victim's grieving, heartbroken family.

I don't.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And hundreds of millions that looked at the evidence of Zimmerman's head being repeatedly bashed against the ground and saw that it was self-defense. There are lawyers that do pro bono work because they believe that what they are fighting for is worth it. The fact that Zimmer man was acting like a jerk prior to having his head bashed against the ground doesn't make it necessary for him to refrain from defending himself from having his head bashed in.
Just as many hundreds of millions--more, I think--saw another case of "southern justice" where the scale is always tilted towards the white guy.

Or perhaps you are saying that the head bashing is what caused him to lose every bit of human decency in this frivolous lawsuit? That a head injury made him lose his conscience?

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You just have Zimmerman's word that he didn't murder Trayvon and rough himself up a little to pretend it was self-defense.

You believe a wife beater who has been on trouble with the law since and who has filed other frivolous lawsuits before stooping to suing his victim's grieving, heartbroken family.

I don't.
would you like to know about Martins record and background? I do not think you want to play that game. Point in fact Zimmerman was acquitted of all charges in a court of law. It did not take the jury long to see the truth about who was the victim and who was the criminal. You seem to want to portray Trayvon with hero worship as an innocent victim, he was a thug plain and simple, that is not my opinion, it is a legally proven fact.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We have a centuries long legal tradition of the unequal justice African Americans have received in America's criminal justice system. That, combined with an immoral "stand your ground" law in Florida, meant the Martin family never received justice.
Read about this shameful history here: Justice Denied: The Killing of Trayvon Martin in Historical Perspective | Origins (osu.edu)
Zimmerman outweighed Trayvon Martin by 40 pounds and was armed. Why would Martin have decided to pick a fight with him? Why was Zimmerman so unable to defend himself? It doesn't make sense. A black youth being stalked by a white man at 3 a.m. would know instinctively that the best thing to do was run.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We have a centuries long legal tradition of the unequal justice African Americans have received in America's criminal justice system. That, combined with an immoral "stand your ground" law in Florida, meant the Martin family never received justice.
Read about this shameful history here: Justice Denied: The Killing of Trayvon Martin in Historical Perspective | Origins (osu.edu)
Zimmerman outweighed Trayvon Martin by 40 pounds and was armed. Why would Martin have decided to pick a fight with him? Why was Zimmerman so unable to defend himself? It doesn't make sense. A black youth being stalked by a white man at 3 a.m. would know instinctively that the best thing to do was run.
I am not interested in your propaganda. The facts were clearly established. Trayvon Martin assaulted Zimmerman and attempted to kill him, Zimmerman killed Martin in self defense. End of story.

• Agree
Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A movement can start and be sustained by presenting false narratives that the gullible will believe because it reinforces their biases. Rational people don't do their best to ignore the facts involved of a situation even if it contradicts their biases. It seems to me that there is a dearth of rational people in the United States at the present time.
For clarification, did you mean "rational" or "irrational"? Rational doesn't seem to fit your previous sentences.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just as many hundreds of millions--more, I think--saw another case of "southern justice" where the scale is always tilted towards the white guy.

Or perhaps you are saying that the head bashing is what caused him to lose every bit of human decency in this frivolous lawsuit? That a head injury made him lose his conscience?
Except Zimmerman was Hispanic, not white. Kinda ruins your narrative, doesn't it? IMO, that's one of the main reasons the BLM movement didn't take off until the Ferguson incident, so they could [incorrectly] blame the white guy.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not interested in your propaganda. The facts were clearly established. Trayvon Martin assaulted Zimmerman and attempted to kill him, Zimmerman killed Martin in self defense. End of story.
I don't believe your propaganda. I agree with Fantine. Zimmerman got off but he caused the problem by stalking Martin in the first place.

Try to keep it civil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Except Zimmerman was Hispanic, not white. Kinda ruins your narrative, doesn't it? IMO, that's one of the main reasons the BLM movement didn't take off until the Ferguson incident, so they could [incorrectly] blame the white guy.
He is Caucasian. Many hispanics are white. 'Hispanic' is not a race.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He is Caucasian. Many hispanics are white. 'Hispanic' is not a race.
Perhaps you should inform Mr. Zimmerman that he's been identifying himself incorrectly all these years.

Zimmerman identifies as Hispanic on voter registration forms.

George Zimmerman - Wikipedia

Ooops! Your bias is showing. Might want to cover it up.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It does not matter if he has 'Hispanic' on his registration form or other form.

Hispanic is not a race. There are black Hispanics, mixed Native American/Spanish descent Hispanics. There are many white Hispanics who trace their roots to Spain.
It is not a race.

oops, your bias is showing.... but do we really need snarky comments?

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It does not matter if he has 'Hispanic' on his registration form or other form.

Hispanic is not a race. There are black Hispanics, mixed Native American/Spanish descent Hispanics. There are many white Hispanics who trace their roots to Spain.
It is not a race.

oops, your bias is showing.... but do we really need snarky comments?
Oh, I see. His ethnic self-identification doesn't matter? But your opinion does? How irresponsibly funny.

Would "non-white" work better for you? With his Peruvian heritage, it would be more appropriate to label his race as "American Indian" if he so chose to. Unfortunately, Hispanics don't have a race class all to themselves, so they must check Caucasian, then the sub-group of "Hispanic/Latino" or "Non-white" or some other distinction that they are not of white/European decent when filling out government forms.

You're a staff member. If you believe my "snarkiness" violates some forum rule, then feel free to take the appropriate action. But at least admit facts don't matter to you, only your opinion does.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's just be grateful that the judge made the right decision, dismissing a frivolous lawsuit and protecting the grieving parents from a killer who wanted to profit from their son's death.

I used the word "killer" because it is neutral. Even those who believe Zimmerman acted in self defense cannot deny that he killed Martin.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh, I see. His ethnic self-identification doesn't matter? But your opinion does? How irresponsibly funny.
It is not a identifier of what race he is. That was my point. It is only in recent years that folks have been trying to ID Spanish descendants as brown and not white. A lot of Italians and Greeks are darker in skin tone, but they are "white".
It is silliness.

The reason this line of conversation is happening is because you reacted to a statement about a long history of justice being tilted against the black man. You identified Zimmerman as non-white, but is Hispanic instead. But 'Hispanic" is an ethnic group, just like Greeks are an ethnic group or Germans are an ethnic group. It does not ID race. Your argument then regarding her statement lacks credibility.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's just be grateful that the judge made the right decision, dismissing a frivolous lawsuit and protecting the grieving parents from a killer who wanted to profit from their son's death.

I used the word "killer" because it is neutral. Even those who believe Zimmerman acted in self defense cannot deny that he killed Martin.

I am glad it was dismissed.

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not a identifier of what race he is. That was my point. It is only in recent years that folks have been trying to ID Spanish descendants as brown and not white. A lot of Italians and Greeks are darker in skin tone, but they are "white".
It is silliness.

The reason this line of conversation is happening is because you reacted to a statement about a long history of justice being tilted against the black man. You identified Zimmerman as non-white, but is Hispanic instead. But 'Hispanic" is an ethnic group, just like Greeks are an ethnic group or Germans are an ethnic group. It does not ID race. Your argument then regarding her statement lacks credibility.
No, she said "white". Hispanic is non-white. The BLM movement, from which the Martin/Zimmerman incident was created by use of the [hashtag]blacklivesmatter, has focused its ire directly at distinctly white male police officers and white males in general. Hispanic/latino officers and men have not been targets to any significant degree of the BLM movement angst.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No, she said "white". Hispanic is non-white. The BLM movement, from which the Martin/Zimmerman incident was created by use of the [hashtag]blacklivesmatter, has focused its ire directly at distinctly white male police officers and white males in general. Hispanic/latino officers and men have not been targets to any significant degree of the BLM movement angst.

:doh: Again, "Hispanic" is not a race. There are black Hispanics, white Hispanics, and more involving mixed races which are Hispanic. It is an ethnic identifier, not a race. Zimmerman is Caucasian.
Zimmerman was not proven to be innocent, only that there is reasonable doubt.

His actions in trying to sue the parents of the man he killed just shows he is pathetic and of low character.

Upvote 0