Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Who are the victims here? While I agree with the judge for dismissing the case as being "without merit," he should have gone further and forced the plaintiff to pay the court costs of the defendant as well.

George Zimmerman sued the parents of Trayvon Martin (and publisher Harper Collins) for $100 million.

Mr Zimmerman, who killed the unarmed teen on 26 February, 2012, in Sanford, Florida, filed a defamation and conspiracy lawsuit in 2019 against Martin’s parents Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin, claiming that they, along with their book publishers HarperCollins, wrongly smeared him as a racist and sought to get him criminally charged.
Judge drops George Zimmerman suit against parents of Trayvon Martin almost exactly 10 years after killing (yahoo.com)

He killed their unarmed son. What did he expect, that they would pin a medal on him? What kind of human being could kill a couple's unarmed teenage son and then sue them for $100 million because they told their side of the story in a book?

I am speechless.

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟272,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
He's embraced the griftosphere - disgusting, but unsurprising.

It's performative litigation, undertaken with the faintest hope of actually winning but with significant expectations of maintaining a public profile and pulling funding from the gullible because it will anger certain other groups.

See, for instance, Sarah Palin, Mike Lindell, Sean Hannity, Mike Flynn, Eric Garland, Louise Mensch, Candace Owens and Seth Abramson for other examples.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Who are the victims here? While I agree with the judge for dismissing the case as being "without merit," he should have gone further and forced the plaintiff to pay the court costs of the defendant as well.

George Zimmerman sued the parents of Trayvon Martin (and publisher Harper Collins) for $100 million.

Judge drops George Zimmerman suit against parents of Trayvon Martin almost exactly 10 years after killing (yahoo.com)

He killed their unarmed son. What did he expect, that they would pin a medal on him? What kind of human being could kill a couple's unarmed teenage son and then sue them for $100 million because they told their side of the story in a book?

I am speechless.

Their son attacked him and he killed him in self defense. They then painted Zimmerman to be a murder.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I am speechless.
Was it a racist killing? Because you can't just make stuff up.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The article quotes what Zimmerman said to the police when he called them (although some of the words had #'s and *'s because of the expletives.) The words were some pretty good evidence.

In terms of the killing, even today, ten years later, many people don't agree with Zimmerman's acquittal. You realize, of course, that when the only "witness" has been killed, no one alive could dispute Zimmerman's word. They could, however, note that Martin was armed with Skittles. In a very controversial case with an even more controversial decision, the Martins were within their rights to publish a book, and I am sure Harper Collins' attorneys made sure that no accusations were made without a lot of corroboration to back them up.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I am speechless.
Zimmerman was having his head pounded into a concrete sidewalk, by the person you want to frame as a victim. This was clearly a case of self defense.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟665,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you think Zimmerman was guilty then him suing the parents is outrageous and unbelievable. If you think he was innocent, then suing the parents seems justified. If one has no opinion on his guilt or innocents then it is merely a case of a plaintive being unsuccessful in proving "fraudulent representation". I think we can all agree the whole situation was unfortunate and tragic.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you think Zimmerman was guilty then him suing the parents is outrageous and unbelievable. If you think he was innocent, then suing the parents seems justified. If one has no opinion on his guilt or innocents then it is merely a case of a plaintive being unsuccessful in proving "fraudulent representation". I think we can all agree the whole situation was unfortunate and tragic.
The innocence of Zimmerman has been adjudicated.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
OJ Simpson was found "not guilty" and lost millions in a civil suit for "wrongful death."

The Martins could have done the same and probably would have easily won, but Zimmerman wasn't worth millions...even though their son's life was priceless.

Zimmerman had gotten into trouble with the law after his acquittal. Exactly how much "reputation" did he have to lose? Certainly not $100 million worth.

Instead, he showed himself to be the lowest of the low.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OJ Simpson was found "not guilty" and lost millions in a civil suit for "wrongful death."

The Martins could have done the same and probably would have easily won, but Zimmerman wasn't worth millions...even though their son's life was priceless.

Zimmerman had gotten into trouble with the law after his acquittal. Exactly how much "reputation" did he have to lose? Certainly not $100 million worth.

Instead, he showed himself to be the lowest of the low.

I think if they the Martins believed they could have easily won a wrongful death lawsuit they would have pursued that avenue of obtaining wealth. Instead, they published a book and therefore did not have to prove what they wrote a was factual.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think if they the Martins believed they could have easily won a wrongful death lawsuit they would have pursued that avenue of obtaining wealth. Instead, they published a book and therefore did not have to prove what they wrote a was factual.
You don't sue someone for millions if their net worth is negligible. And wealth may not have been the primary motivation for their book.

Remember, the only other witness to this tragedy was their dead son. He wasn't able to tell his story. They wanted to tell it for him, to speak his truth for him.

Zimmerman took Trayvon's life, and then tried to sue his parents and their publisher.

How low could he go?

• Agree
Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You don't sue someone for millions if their net worth is negligible. And wealth may not have been the primary motivation for their book.

Remember, the only other witness to this tragedy was their dead son. He wasn't able to tell his story. They wanted to tell it for him, to speak his truth for him.

Zimmerman took Trayvon's life, and then tried to sue his parents and their publisher.

How low could he go?

If the Martin's motivation was other than wealth it wouldn't matter that Zimmerman's net worth was negligible because the point would be to show their son was unjustly killed and that Zimmerman was unjustly acquitted. Writing a book doesn't do that.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟217,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was it a racist killing? Because you can't just make stuff up.
Some people think so. It was, after all, the event that birthed the BLM movement with the creation of the blm and black lives matter hashtags.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If the Martin's motivation was other than wealth it wouldn't matter that Zimmerman's net worth was negligible because the point would be to show their son was unjustly killed and that Zimmerman was unjustly acquitted. Writing a book doesn't do that.
No lawyer would take the case without a potential big payoff.

And believe me, there are tens of millions who don't need any proof that Zimmerman should have been convicted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I am speechless.

Depends upon what they said about him I suppose.

• Optimistic
Reactions: jasperr
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some people think so. It was, after all, the event that birthed the BLM movement with the creation of the blm and black lives matter hashtags.
I'm sure some people think so. But that's not how movements work.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It does have the tinge of trying to cash in on the same sort of ethos that allowed Nick Sandmann to get settlements from CNN, NBC, and the Washington Post.

However, the circumstances were a tad different here.

1) When Sandmann sued the entities that "made him look bad", his case had a little more merit with regards to the facts surrounding the character attack.

2) When Sandmann sued, he went after the 3rd party entities that were reporting on it and twisting the narrative, and not the perceived victim(s) of the incident. Had he tried to sue Nathan Phillips for exorbitant sums, the case would've been tossed just like this one.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No lawyer would take the case without a potential big payoff.

And believe me, there are tens of millions who don't need any proof that Zimmerman should have been convicted.
And hundreds of millions that looked at the evidence of Zimmerman's head being repeatedly bashed against the ground and saw that it was self-defense. There are lawyers that do pro bono work because they believe that what they are fighting for is worth it. The fact that Zimmer man was acting like a jerk prior to having his head bashed against the ground doesn't make it necessary for him to refrain from defending himself from having his head bashed in.

• Agree
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟217,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married