Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce S

Dec 28, 2002
✟1,232.00
Faith
Protestant
Ukraine: Evangelical [Protestant] Churches Multiply

Churches are multiplying in Ukraine, according to Slavik Radchuk, Christian Aid's field scout for Ukraine and ex-Soviet lands. In a call to Missions Insider editor John Lindner, November 11, Radchuk said that the number of evangelical churches in Ukraine in the last ten years had multiplied about six-fold.

He said that in 1990, census figures showed the Ukrainian Orthodox churches claiming 90% of the population; all other religions together composed the remaining 10%.

Now, Radchuk says, government church registration figures show Protestants holding 60% of the churches, with Orthodox churches down to 20% and all other religions numbering 20%.

"These are government figures," Radchuk said, "published in the Ukrainian press."

Radchuk said that in the last 20 months evangelical Ukrainian church planters had started 75 congregations. Radchuk had set a goal late last year of raising funds to help construct buildings for all of them by the end of this year. "Praise God, so far we have been able to finish 67 churches," he said. "The average cost is $5000 each. We have only eight more to go to finish our goal."

Local congregations provide labor and contribute what they can while contributions from abroad ensure the completion of the average building. For more information write to insider@christianaid.org and mention MI246 368-BCU on the subject line.

Link To Source: > http://www.worthynews.com/news-features-2/ukraine-churches-multiply.html
Hmm.

It would seem that the Evangelicals, inspired by the Holy Spirit, those "crazy guys" that speak in tounges [including myself here] are making tremendous inroads into the traditional sphere of Orthodoxy.

The unexpected shift over from a religion with roots going back centuries [but disrupted by Communisms period] is not growing, not keeping the role that one would think they should have.

What is going on here?

Bruce S

Dec 28, 2002
✟1,232.00
Faith
Protestant
Persecution
Churches have been burned near Moscow, and Christians have come under attack in a traditionally Orthodox regionCiting beatings and church arsons that have occurred during the last two years, charismatic Christian leaders in Chekhov, a small industrial city outside Moscow, say they are enduring some of the worst religious persecution in Russia.

3982.gif

"I stay off the street and, as much as possible, out of sight," pastor Cosme Tossa, who has been severely beaten twice outside his home, said in a January interview. "I'm afraid to invite new people from the street now. We just serve the same people."

Since the attacks on Tossa, arsonists have targeted two other churches, burning both to the ground. Police have made no arrests in any of the attacks.

Tossa and other members of Chekhov's tiny Protestant community of some 250 people attribute the violence to the local mafia's efforts to stop the growth of any faith other than the dominant Russian Orthodox Church.

It would seem that Protestants are facing difficult challenges in other nations too. State religions are being re-established, barriers erected, and Evangelistic ministers are being denied visa's and being sent OUT of the nations too.

This is a disturbing thing to learn.

Let Prostants pray, set up a church, do outreach. Another survey I posted this morning showed that Russian and the Ukrain have some of the lowest belief in God statistics in the world.

They need God, they need religion, and let those that want another form of worship be free to do so.

Upvote 0

Lotar

Swift Eagle Justice
Feb 27, 2003
Southern California
✟19,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Bruce S said:
Hmm.

It would seem that the Evangelicals, inspired by the Holy Spirit, those "crazy guys" that speak in tounges [including myself here] are making tremendous inroads into the traditional sphere of Orthodoxy.

The unexpected shift over from a religion with roots going back centuries [but disrupted by Communisms period] is not growing, not keeping the role that one would think they should have.

What is going on here?
Evangelical doesn't mean charasmatic ;)

Upvote 0

princess_ballet

Senior Veteran
Jul 8, 2003
Michigan
✟16,089.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I had to reply to this because my heritage is Ukrainian. This article makes me sick though. The traditional mass that I've been blessed to attend here in the US (similar to what happens over there, in their language and everything) is very beautiful.

Too bad.:prayer:

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If you want to see real persecution, try living as a Christian under Stalin. Or how about as a minority population in a nation with an Islamic government?

Russia and the Ukraine have already been Christian for 1,000 years. The protestant missionaries are forcing the Body of Christ to cannibalize itself.

Reactions: Philip
Upvote 0

Amandine

Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
✟1,147.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
He said that in 1990, census figures showed the Ukrainian Orthodox churches claiming 90% of the population; all other religions together composed the remaining 10%.

Now, Radchuk says, government church registration figures show Protestants holding 60% of the churches, with Orthodox churches down to 20% and all other religions numbering 20%.
So let me get this straight. Christianity was 90%, and now it's down to 80%. Hmm...could lack of unity be the cause?
-Catherine

Reactions: Philip
Upvote 0

BeanMak

Veteran
Feb 7, 2002
Suburb of Chicago
Visit site
✟2,472.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Although these countries were Christian for 1000 years, the last 90 years have been spent in atheism as the state "religion".

I heard a pastor from Russia speak a few weeks ago. In his town there were 3 bibles, one which belonged to an aunt who wouldn't let him read it, unless he bought it from her. We need to keep these people in our prayers!

Upvote 0

Matrona

Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
BeanMak said:
Although these countries were Christian for 1000 years, the last 90 years have been spent in atheism as the state "religion".
And Orthodoxy survived. Barely, but it survived. Stalin killed 40,000 Russian Orthodox priests--by the time his reign of terror was over, only 200 were left. Orthodoxy survived the most brutal persecution ever inflicted on any Christian group at any time. Most former Soviet Christians are seeing this as Americans trying to finish the job the atheists started and I can certainly see why.

Now, I don't support burning down the protestant churches, and I hope I am not sounding too angry, but honestly, how did these protestant missionaries expect the Orthodox to react?! To give you an idea of how ridiculously ignorant these protestant missionaries are of the faith they are proselytizing against, one missionary group printed t-shirts that said "spreading the Gospel where it has never shone before" with a picture of SAINT BASIL'S CATHEDRAL on it! That cathedral was consecrated to the glory of God hundreds of years before those missionaries were born!

Upvote 0

Michael0701

Harley Ridin' Believer!!
Nov 13, 2002
Tax Free Delaware!!
Visit site
✟8,417.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matrona,

It saddens me to hear your disdain about the preaching of Christianity in eastern europe. I am first generation here in the free world (Ukrainian parents) and am recently "born again". But to tell you the truth, if it hadn't happened to me my eyes would be just as dark as yours :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nicodemus

Orthodox Christian
Nov 21, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As an Orthodox Christian, I certainly don't support anything someone on the "fringe" of Orthodoxy does. Any group committing violence against others is certainly outside of the Orthodox lifestyle, no matter what they profess.

However, I don't think many protestants understand how befuddling it is for Orthodox Christians to be called non-Christian by protestants. The Orthodox Church goes back 2,000 years and has endured some of the worst anti-Christian persecutions the world has ever devised (communism, Turkish domination) and has seen innummerable martyrs die for their faith (I'm not talking about violent conflict, tens of thousands peacefully went to their deaths in firm conviction of their Christian faith.) I converted to Orthodoxy from evangelical protestantism because I felt Orthodoxy to be a deeper, fuller expression of the Christian faith, and one that is more Traditional. However, I still fully realize that there are many faithful protestants that are good, strong, Christian people. My family is still protestant as are 90% of my friends. I have no animosity towards protestants, but I can say it is painful to hear the Churches of the Christian East called non-Christian or to say that those lands need evangelizing. Sure communnism dealt a serious blow to the Orthodox Church, but now, who is left standing, communism or the Orthodox Church? The Church is standing, because of its faithfullness, patience, resilience, longsuffering and love. Communism is largely dead (a few exceptions being Cuba and China) but the Church lives on. There are places in western Europe that profess higher rates of atheism and where Christianity seems to much more on the wane. In Eastern Europe, Christianity and specifically Orthodox Christianity is on the rise as evidence by the building of churches and monasteries in abundance.

Upvote 0

InquisitorKind

Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
✟1,780.00
Faith
Protestant
Bruce S said:
Hmm.

What is going on here?
:clap:

~Matt

Upvote 0

Peter

Veteran
Aug 19, 2003
Southern US
Visit site
✟2,154.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I, too, used to believe the lie that Communism killed Christianity in Russia. Seeing as how I am not allowed to debate here, let me ask a few questions.

How would Protestants feel if t-shirts were made up similar to those described above with a picture your church on them?

How would it make you feel if I said, "You stupid Protestant. You are no true Christian."?

Lastly, how does the number of Bibles. or lack of same, indicate any form of disbelief?

A year and a half ago I met a man that was born and raised in Moscow. He is my age. That menas he was born in 1965. He was a very faithful Christian. When I asked him where he learned the faith, he said from his grandmother.

Peace.

Peter

Reactions: Matrona
Upvote 0

Axion

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2003
uk
Visit site
✟4,616.00
Faith
Catholic
I would tke a lot of the first article with a big pinch of salt. I think the figures probably refer to the Splinter group Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church which is very small.

The majority of the 15,000 Orthodox parishes in the Ukraine belong to the Russian Orthodox Church. Ukraine also has 1 million western rite Catholics and 5 Million Eastern-rite Catholics.

Figures from Religious Information Service of Ukraine.
http://www.risu.org.ua/content.php?menu=17&page_id=43&l=en

• The Baptist Church was brought to Ukraine by German missionaries in the 1860s and 1870s. It now has 2446 communities and is located throughout Ukraine.
  • Pentecostals have been in Ukraine since before the First World War. There are now 1622 communities located throughout Ukraine.
  • Seventh-Day Adventists have been in Ukraine since the 1880s. They now have 849 communities in various regions of Ukraine.
  • The Sub-Carpathian Reformed Church began at the time of John Calvin himself. It has 105 communities and is located in Transcarpathian (southwestern) Ukraine.
  • The Lutheran Church has been in Ukraine since the 16th century. It has 61 communities, generally located in major cities.

Reactions: Matrona
Upvote 0

InquisitorKind

Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
✟1,780.00
Faith
Protestant
Peter said:
How would it make you feel if I said, "You stupid Protestant. You are no true Christian."?
Considering that many Eastern Orthodox take this position of Protestant doctrines (that we are in heresy, not representing the true faith, etc.), I don't find it too offensive. Many other types of religious groups claim that I'm not Christian, such as Mormons, CoC's, etc. so it wouldn't make me feel all that different that now. If people are secure enough in their beliefs, I don't think they'll take offense at some heretical group claiming they're not Christian.

~Matt

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Matrona

Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
InquisitorKind said:
Considering that many Eastern Orthodox take this position of Protestant doctrines (that we are in heresy, not representing the true faith, etc.)
We believe we know where the church is, but that we don't know where it isn't.

My best friend is Methodist--and I don't think she's "unsaved".

Upvote 0

Peter

Veteran
Aug 19, 2003
Southern US
Visit site
✟2,154.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
An excellent book regarding the spiritual lives of the faithful in Russia between 1920 and 197? is "Father Arseny." This book recalls the life of one man's influence on many people while serving as a prisoner in Soviet death camps and after his release. Warning! This book is not for the faint of heart.

Peace.

Peter

Upvote 0

Matrona

Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Peter said:
Warning! This book is not for the faint of heart.
No kidding, just reading the synopsis makes me cry. But I do frequently list it as one of the major influences in my life that made me decide to become Orthodox. Anyone claiming Russian Christianity has died needs to read this book.

In the second book they have a picture of Father Arseny's memorial (his actual gravesite is unknown), but it shows he lived from 1894 to 1975.

Reactions: nicodemus
Upvote 0

nicodemus

Orthodox Christian
Nov 21, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Matrona said:
No kidding, just reading the synopsis makes me cry. But I do frequently list it as one of the major influences in my life that made me decide to become Orthodox. Anyone claiming Russian Christianity has died needs to read this book.

In the second book they have a picture of Father Arseny's memorial (his actual gravesite is unknown), but it shows he lived from 1894 to 1975.
Another great one is The Blessed Surgeon: The Life of St. Luke, Archbishop of Simferopol. He was tortured by the communists, sent to labor camps, exiled to Central Asia and many other countless things. He was however, an incredibly skilled surgeon before he became clergy. So skilled in fact that he was even asked to operate on communists that were persecuting him and he did it out of Christ-like love.

Upvote 0

Matrona

Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
nicodemus said:
Another great one is The Blessed Surgeon: The Life of St. Luke, Archbishop of Simferopol.
Wow, I had never heard of that book. I will have to try to hunt it down; thank you for telling me about it.

I'm working on The Apostolic Fathers right now... and I would recommend it to the people in this forum, too. ;) It has the Didache, the epistles of St. Ignatius, and several other writings in it, and I'm really enjoying it so far. :clap:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.