Many Ukrainians are fleeing to the Greek Catholic Church in Lviv, which has a long and complex history in the Orthodox faith

ValeriyK2022

Jun 13, 2022
Kyiv region
✟56,600.00
Country
Ukraine
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Then forgive me, brother. I am a sinner. *bows* I will seek to edit my original snark. Let us part in peace.

And I'm very much for Ukraine, as I spent 44 days in a Ukrainian Greek Catholic Monastery strictly following the Studite Rule, and I'm discerning becoming a monk there. We prayed for Ukraine, her military, and leaders several times a day during the Divine Liturgies & offices of the Horologion, especially at the ecumenic litanies.
And you forgive me too. Let us part in peace.

Upvote 0

ValeriyK2022

Jun 13, 2022
Kyiv region
✟56,600.00
Country
Ukraine
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But it's been nice to have a poster on the forum who could counter some of the claims the Orthodox take to be gospel.
The Orthodox are mentioned again. So I can't leave without answering. In the first millennium there was no difference between Orthodox and Catholics, except for the rite. Therefore, we consider all Christians of the first millennium to be Orthodox. All those who were guided by the decisions of the Seven Ecumenical Councils. In legal terms, the Rules of the Seven Ecumenical Councils of the First Millennium are the Constitution of the Christian Church. Orthodox differ from all other denominations in that they do not allow these decisions to be reversed, since the Holy Spirit could not be wrong.

Do you need a poster that would say that the Orthodox are so stupid that they don't know how to read the Gospel?

There are people who call themselves Orthodox, even bearing the rank of Orthodox clergy, but who are not Orthodox. It is better to write a poster that not all Orthodox who are baptized in Orthodoxy or who have rank in the Orthodox Church, but only those who adhere to the decisions of the Seven Ecumenical Councils of the 1st millennium.

Our opponents find some strange personalities who position themselves as Orthodox, but who are not so in their views, and then generalize their strange opinions to all Orthodox.

The voice of the Orthodox Church is the decision of the Seven Ecumenical Councils + interpretations of the holy fathers of the 1st millennium (those interpretations in which they agree regardless of the century and country of residence) + the teachings of Gregory Palamas about the Holy Spirit. Nothing new has appeared in the Orthodox Church in a thousand years. Everything else is private opinion, which is incorrect to pass off as the opinion of the Orthodox Church.

These decisions also approved a list of books that belong to the New Testament and the Old Testament. And there are already neo-Protestant denominations that claim that the Word of God is a human invention. They started with the denial of the canons and reached the denial of the Gospel ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟333,311.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Orthodox are mentioned again. So I can't leave without answering. In the first millennium there was no difference between Orthodox and Catholics, except for the rite. Therefore, we consider all Christians of the first millennium to be Orthodox. All those who were guided by the decisions of the Seven Ecumenical Councils. In legal terms, the Rules of the Seven Ecumenical Councils of the First Millennium are the Constitution of the Christian Church. Orthodox differ from all other denominations in that they do not allow these decisions to be reversed, since the Holy Spirit could not be wrong.

Do you need a poster that would say that the Orthodox are so stupid that they don't know how to read the Gospel?

There are people who call themselves Orthodox, even bearing the rank of Orthodox clergy, but who are not Orthodox. It is better to write a poster that not all Orthodox who are baptized in Orthodoxy or who have rank in the Orthodox Church, but only those who adhere to the decisions of the Seven Ecumenical Councils of the 1st millennium.

Our opponents find some strange personalities who position themselves as Orthodox, but who are not so in their views, and then generalize their strange opinions to all Orthodox.

The voice of the Orthodox Church is the decision of the Seven Ecumenical Councils + interpretations of the holy fathers of the 1st millennium (those interpretations in which they agree regardless of the century and country of residence) + the teachings of Gregory Palamas about the Holy Spirit. Nothing new has appeared in the Orthodox Church in a thousand years. Everything else is private opinion, which is incorrect to pass off as the opinion of the Orthodox Church.

These decisions also approved a list of books that belong to the New Testament and the Old Testament. And there are already neo-Protestant denominations that claim that the Word of God is a human invention. They started with the denial of the canons and reached the denial of the Gospel ...
By your post I'm not quite sure you understood the intent of my comment, especially with "Do you need a poster that would say that the Orthodox are so stupid that they don't know how to read the Gospel?"

When I referred to some of the historical claims that the Orthodox take to be "gospel" it's simply an idiom that they view their version of history as truth. Since that history is often quite complex it is nice to see someone who can offer a reasonable counter. That's all.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Is this intended as an insult? Hard to tell, coming from a Catholic, but shame on you if it is.
Aren't all the chairs Popes?
However; it is the Roman Pontiff, Pope [means Papa in Latin] leads the entire fold of the Catholics.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Aren't all the chairs Popes?
However; it is the Roman Pontiff, Pope [means Papa in Latin] leads the entire fold of the Catholics.
Patriarchs, Archbishops, Metropolitans and Bishops are all bishops. The different "ranks" basically determine which order they would walk in a procession. If a high ranking bishop wishes to perform a baptism in a church under a lower ranking bishop's jurisdiction, he still has to get the bishop's permission. He cannot "pull rank" because in terms of ecclesiology they are all the same rank. There are only three orders of clergy in the Orthodox Church, bishop, priest and deacon.

You didn't answer though. Was it intended as an insult?

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Patriarchs, Archbishops, Metropolitans and Bishops are all bishops. The different "ranks" basically determine which order they would walk in a procession. If a high ranking bishop wishes to perform a baptism in a church under a lower ranking bishop's jurisdiction, he still has to get the bishop's permission. He cannot "pull rank" because in terms of ecclesiology they are all the same rank. There are only three orders of clergy in the Orthodox Church, bishop, priest and deacon.

You didn't answer though. Was it intended as an insult?
If you say so. [Jesus]

I believe I spoke quite succinctly. Pope means Papa in Latin.
So if you do not call your clergy fathers, then so be it.

And are you looking for argument and fights?

Upvote 0