UK Evangelical Christian Vote (Elections 2010)

For UK Evangelicals, who would you like to vote for in the 2010 General Election?

• Labour

• Conservative

• Liberal Democrat

• UKIP

• Green

• BNP

• Christian Party/ Christian Peoples Alliance

• Respect/ Social Alliance/ Communist

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bonhoffer

Hoping......
Dec 17, 2003
Preston, Lancashire, UK
✟10,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Are you an evangelical Christian from the UK? Who are you thinking of voting for in the coming elections? This is based on who you would like to vote for, as some of the parties may not be contesting every constituency.

This is a poll/thread only for those who would consider themselves to be British evangelical Christians. They must accept all the following to qualify.

1) Believe in the authority and inerrancy of Scripture
2) Believe in the Divinity of Christ and the Trinity
3) Believe one must be born again to enter Gods Kingdom
4) Believe those without Christ will face Justice (i.e hell) and those with Him will recieve Eternal Glory
5) Believe it is important to share ones faith with others
6) Believe that Jesus Christ is the only way to God

Last edited:

Hexa

Jan 19, 2006
✟16,367.00
Faith
Protestant
You used lots of long words in describing who qualifies to vote for this, in the sterotypical Christian way, of showing off how cleaver they are, and in turn freezing out people who come from less well off areas.

Anyway. I voted, and I voted UKIP. Alot of my mates accuse UKIP of being racists, how ever, if you read what they stand ford I believe this is incorrect. My mates always use the argument of "British jobs for British workers" for this. Until, I rightly point out to them that this is in fact relating to many British companys employing Portaguise building firms to carry out building work in Scotland, when theres thousands of unemployed British builders they could employ.

Upvote 0

Bonhoffer

Hoping......
Dec 17, 2003
Preston, Lancashire, UK
✟10,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You used lots of long words in describing who qualifies to vote for this, in the sterotypical Christian way, of showing off how cleaver they are, and in turn freezing out people who come from less well off areas.
this was because i wanted to know what the vote share was amongst evangelicals rather than Christians in general, because i believe there would be a difference and i wanted to know spefically who the evangelicals are supporting. originally i was planning to do another one for non-evangelical christians

Upvote 0
P

Phinehas2

I see little major difference between the main parties on the usual main topics such as economy etc. What I do see as the most important issue for Christians is the steady creep of secualrisation. The Liberal democrats have a large and prominent number of atheist/humanist members and their track record together with reports that some want to make it a criminal offense to suggest same gender relations are wrong is an idication of a dangerous step too far. I also heard reports recently about some in Labour thinking this way. So I wont be voting Liberal Democrat under any circumstances, nor Labour either for that matter.
Yesterday a Tory candidate was removed following his remarks on a blog that he thought homosexuality was not normal. Now there are sizeable minorities in this country who do not believe homosexuality is normal, if a candidate can be removed from standing for having those views I fail to see how the Conservative party, let alone Labour and Liberal Democrat can represent their constituents as a whole any more than say the BNP.
So in the absence of a Christian Alliance member I shall either now be voting UKIP or not voting at all.

Upvote 0
P

Phinehas2

Just to add, it is reported..
The pinknews website – which covers homosexual news – has reported that Mr Lardner wrote: “I will always support the rights of homosexuals to be treated within concepts of (common-sense) equality and respect, and defend their rights to choose to live the way they want in private, but I will not accept that their behaviour is ‘normal’ or encourage children to indulge in it.
So he is able to tolerate others being treated equal but he is not allowed to have his opinions treated equally.
To dismiss him is unacceptable intolerant bigotry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,708.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Strong in Him, But it looks like the Liberal Democrats are following their atheist agendas at the expense of the their Christian one.

Maybe, but still there are Christians within the party. As indeed there are within all parties.

I have just re-joined the LDs, I must admit, but I often struggle with the question of whether we should all get behind the Christian Alliance, to show a really strong, Christian witness - or whether it is right to stay in other parties and be Christians within.

But then I'm not sure it's ever going to be really fair. Because if the Christian Alliance/Green party/UKIP or whoever don't put a candidate up in your area; you have no chance of voting for them.
So if there are only 2 candidates, people either vote for one to keep the other out, or don't vote at all.

Some years ago I stood for council. My own party told me I wouldn't get in - it's very Tory round here - but at least the LDs were represented so people had more choice.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
saying that though, I would vote for any party that supports the ideology of not dividing Jerusalem, and backs the Jewish state... but that rules out pretty much every major and most minor parties.

Steve

p.s. the good news preached to Abraham... those who bless you I will bless and those who think lightly of you I will think lightly of.

Upvote 0
P

Phinehas2

I am planning on defacing my paper.
What annoys me is those who say if one doesn’t vote one doesn’t have the right to their say… I voted last time, the party I voted for didn’t get in and things have got very bad for Christians, so how does that work then?

We can and will witness in any society, but it sure helps if it is in a democracy where we can.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
i have been out this morning and done exactly as I said I would - I defaced my paper. My vote counts now and has to be included.

For those who do not vote one way or the other, you have no right to complain.

If your party did not win, maybe you need to start campaigning for electoral reform and write to whoever did win and express you disgruntlement, but be armed with the statistics and show them how they do not have a 'majority mandate' from the people of the constituency.

Steve

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Are you an evangelical Christian from the UK? Who are you thinking of voting for in the coming elections? This is based on who you would like to vote for, as some of the parties may not be contesting every constituency.

This is a poll/thread only for those who would consider themselves to be British evangelical Christians. They must accept all the following to qualify.

1) Believe in the authority and inerrancy of Scripture
2) Believe in the Divinity of Christ and the Trinity
3) Believe one must be born again to enter Gods Kingdom
4) Believe those without Christ will face Justice (i.e hell) and those with Him will recieve Eternal Glory
5) Believe it is important to share ones faith with others
6) Believe that Jesus Christ is the only way to God

I love how people like to set their own definitions on their brothers and sisters. Where in the Bible do you find this list, exactly? ^_^

Fortunately such people as you attempt to define are relatively rare in the UK, and their vote is unlikely to make any difference whatever. They are balanced out by the Monster Raving Loonies.

And we can thank God for that. :liturgy:

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm seriously considering Lib Dems also, but this could change at the last minute. My faith is an integral part of my life, but I'm not so sure how much emphasis it plays in re to my choice come the election.

This distinction is an important one, which I think is far less well understood in the US. Politics is not religion, and it cannot be confused for it; not since the Statute of Praemunire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praemunire

My faith is very important to me as well, but I would never vote for any form of government which was predicated upon strict religious principles. Such an approach cannot work. We can (and do) have strong Christian values in our Parliament, but these cannot be narrowly defined in the way the religious right would define them.

Taking one or two issues from the right wing Christian agenda and basing our vote on them is a bit silly, but better than not voting at all, I suppose. There is no point being a citizen of a free, democratic country, if you don't bother to vote, or even if you decide to waste your vote somehow.

If you don't see a candidate you like, then stand yourself. Meanwhile, if you have a vote, then use it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0