U.S. hospital will not remove oxygen from elderly woman who says on video ‘I want to live’

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
May 2, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) – The 64-year-old woman at reported risk of being euthanized by a Minnesota hospital has received a reprieve after a pro-life legal non-profit intervened on her behalf.

Catie Cassidy is resting comfortably, according to Life Legal Defense Foundation (LLDF), after the hospital agreed to abide by her wishes and those of her healthcare proxy and not remove Catie’s oxygen.

“We received news today that Fairview Hospital in Edina is fully cooperating with Catie’s health care proxy and that they will continue to provide Catie with oxygen as needed,” the Foundation said in a statement.

The hospital received a lot of calls and even visits from people concerned about the case, LLDF Executive Director Alexandra Snyder told LifeSiteNews.

“Thank you so much to all who showed up for Catie by getting the word out and calling the hospital,” Snyder said. “You are amazing!”

LLDF attorneys had sent a demand letter informing the hospital of its duties under Minnesota law after learning the hospital had planned to remove Cassidy’s oxygen on Wednesday morning.

Cassidy is a lung cancer patient, and without supplemental oxygen, she would have suffocated to death.

She had communicated in no uncertain terms in a video that went viral earlier this week that she did not want the hospital to “pull the plug” on her oxygen, and that she wanted to live.

More at link: U.S. hospital will not remove oxygen from elderly woman who says on video ‘I want to live’

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,759.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
May 2, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) – The 64-year-old woman at reported risk of being euthanized by a Minnesota hospital has received a reprieve after a pro-life legal non-profit intervened on her behalf.

Catie Cassidy is resting comfortably, according to Life Legal Defense Foundation (LLDF), after the hospital agreed to abide by her wishes and those of her healthcare proxy and not remove Catie’s oxygen.

“We received news today that Fairview Hospital in Edina is fully cooperating with Catie’s health care proxy and that they will continue to provide Catie with oxygen as needed,” the Foundation said in a statement.

The hospital received a lot of calls and even visits from people concerned about the case, LLDF Executive Director Alexandra Snyder told LifeSiteNews.

“Thank you so much to all who showed up for Catie by getting the word out and calling the hospital,” Snyder said. “You are amazing!”

LLDF attorneys had sent a demand letter informing the hospital of its duties under Minnesota law after learning the hospital had planned to remove Cassidy’s oxygen on Wednesday morning.

Cassidy is a lung cancer patient, and without supplemental oxygen, she would have suffocated to death.

She had communicated in no uncertain terms in a video that went viral earlier this week that she did not want the hospital to “pull the plug” on her oxygen, and that she wanted to live.

More at link: U.S. hospital will not remove oxygen from elderly woman who says on video ‘I want to live’
Any actual proof that the hospital was going to do this?

• Optimistic
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Any actual proof that the hospital was going to do this?
The linked article has an embedded link. They did indicate “alleged” as the patient was asked if she wanted the plug pulled.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,759.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The linked article has an embedded link. They did indicate “alleged” as the patient was asked if she wanted the plug pulled.
So, no proof that the hospital was going to do anything other than what Catie wanted. Good news.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,584.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yep. Better watch out entering the hospital after age 50.
Probably even more dangerous if you are a patient. Is this revenge on the Boomers for 'loaning' the governments so much cash out of our pensions?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What reason is there to think they were ever going to remove oxygen against her wishes? It sounds like they simply asked her what she wanted.
Yes asking people if they want to die is not controversial. ;)

I guess I’m a bit sensitive to these news pieces. I was told by a doctor a few years back that “it was time for your father to expire.” To which I said “like a loaf of bread.” To which my father almost went into cardiac arrest laughing. Yes interesting family.

Yet a young doctor learned a valuable lesson that day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Probably even more dangerous if you are a patient. Is this revenge on the Boomers for 'loaning' the governments so much cash out of our pensions?
Ha! Maybe. Or knowing the Boomers have all that investment cash and they need to “move on” so their millennial spawn can move from the basement playing video games to the upstairs living room to play video games.

But I digress...

• Haha
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,759.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ah you are on oxygen, sick and elderly and someone asks you if you want to end it all.
And? Euthanasia is illegal in Minnesota but hospitals have to ask patient's or their guardian about end of life care. It freaked her out and she thought they were going to do it.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And? Euthanasia is illegal in Minnesota but hospitals have to ask patient's or their guardian about end of life care. It freaked her out and she thought they were going to do it.
Indeed. There is a “soft” euthanasia existent in secular hospitals which many families encounter. As in the case of my father. And this woman.

• Agree
Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,759.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Indeed. There is a “soft” euthanasia existent in secular hospitals which many families encounter. As in the case of my father. And this woman.
Accusations mean nothing. If you have actual evidence, provide it and don't place false accusations against this hospital.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LOL, when I was a tot, 50yr olds seemed ancient of days, now you have 70s going on 40.
Yes the “elderly” are young at heart these days.

I nicely corrected a brother who said “hey he’s 80 years old, a retired pastor and he still teaches three adult Sunday school classes, is a sitting elder of a church plant, cancer survivor and still does home visits each day! I’d be golfing and enjoying life.”

To which I told him “fruitful labor.” Meaning our dear brother who is 80 loves the Lord and won’t give up serving the Lord until he is called home.

Upvote 0