✟3,631.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone,

I was on here for some time. Not sure if people remember me. I caused some fireworks back in the day :p.

For a little over a year I had left the Church. I don't know why really. I started missing Mass, started to get worldly. I'm finding (again) that being worldly isn't what it's cracked up to be.

I want to come back but I'm a little scared and nervous at the prospect. One reason why I left was the fact that I tried to hard to be a perfectionist in my faith. It left me frazzled really. I'm afraid I'll get that bad habit again. I know I need to trust Jesus and let things go but it's hard. Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone left the Church and came back?

I'm actually planning on going to confession this Saturday and Mass on Sunday. :pray:

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟864,892.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Praying for you. No one can be perfect, we can only do our best. When we come to Jesus and ask for forgiveness, He forgives and forgets. He sees us clothed in righteousness, He does not look at us and see a sinner. May the Lord help you as you come back to Him as you obviously have tasted and seen that the Lord is good and the world is not all that good afterall. God bless.

Upvote 0
M

Memento Mori

Praise God. :) Welcome back. My answer to your question: strive to be perfect, and don't be surprised when you're not. If you are overly dismayed when you commit little faults, that is the sign that your desire for perfection comes from vanity and not from love of God. Stamp out faults when you see them and carry on. :) Love and humility, love and humility, we must always pray for love and humility.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I remember you...and sure that you remember me. :)
I left the Church back in the day - for 7 years. It was awful. I admit it now.
I was also too worldly.

Advice, just attend Mass [after confession] and enjoy - just BE.
Welcome back home.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Lord loves prodigals and rejoices at your return. Just go to confession, come out with a big smile on your face, bask in the mercy of the Risen Savior, and get back on that wagon going to Mass. Best of luck to you, OP! :crosseo:

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
With me, I was raised in a very liberal Catholic church. So, I didn't understand much of church teachings or doctrine. As I got older, I tried different churches. But, found a traditional Catholic church that helped me grow a lot as a Christian.
As far as grappling with perfection in faith--I look at the Stations of the Cross and see that Jesus stumbled twice and also had help at one point carrying His cross. To me, that shows that we all fall and need help. Even priests grapple with issues and need our support. So, I wouldn't be too hard on myself. Just keep trying to grow closer to the Lord. Fight the good fight, as they say.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Stations of the Cross are powerful for me as well. As I have debated becoming Eastern Orthodox, frankly, the Stations of the Cross are the devotion I will miss most. I adore them and relate to them in a deep way. I named my daughter "Veronica" after station 6, in fact!

With me, I was raised in a very liberal Catholic church. So, I didn't understand much of church teachings or doctrine. As I got older, I tried different churches. But, found a traditional Catholic church that helped me grow a lot as a Christian.
As far as grappling with perfection in faith--I look at the Stations of the Cross and see that Jesus stumbled twice and also had help at one point carrying His cross. To me, that shows that we all fall and need help. Even priests grapple with issues and need our support. So, I wouldn't be too hard on myself. Just keep trying to grow closer to the Lord. Fight the good fight, as they say.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi everyone,

I was on here for some time. Not sure if people remember me. I caused some fireworks back in the day :p.

For a little over a year I had left the Church. I don't know why really. I started missing Mass, started to get worldly. I'm finding (again) that being worldly isn't what it's cracked up to be.

I want to come back but I'm a little scared and nervous at the prospect. One reason why I left was the fact that I tried to hard to be a perfectionist in my faith. It left me frazzled really. I'm afraid I'll get that bad habit again. I know I need to trust Jesus and let things go but it's hard. Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone left the Church and came back?

I'm actually planning on going to confession this Saturday and Mass on Sunday. :pray:

I remember you! It's good seeing you again!! :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I named my daughter "Veronica" after station 6, in fact!

I like that name too!

holyorders,
Being Catholic is hard. I always remind myself that it's a marathon, not a sprint. So, take your time and let God do His work in you through the Holy Spirit. Pray often and read the bible as much as possible. I attend Mass 3-4 days a week most of the time. It helps a lot to bring me closer to the Lord though the Holy Eucharist.
God Bless,
C J

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
It's seems like you were trying to live out your Christian life in your own power . Anyone who tries to do so will eventually fall flat on their face . It can't be done .

The power we need to be Christians comes from the Holy Spirit who dwells within us . We are totally dependent on Him .

God bless you , and may I suggest that you reflect on and pray with an expectant faith the following prayer , the "Veni Sancte Spiritus" , Come Holy Spirit .
Veni, Sancte Spiritus

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi everyone,

Welcome home. Find a priest you can trust to be a spiritual director, and let him help you with your perfectionism/scrupulosity. Regardless of how imperfect you are, just remember that there's quite probably someone who's less perfect than you are, and that if they're welcome, so are you.

Upvote 0

packermann

Nov 30, 2003
Northwest Suburbs of Chicago, IL
✟45,845.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
I would recommend a good spiritual director, usually a priest. I would recommend Opus Dei - they are big on spiritual direction. I think you need a person who can provide you feedback when you are falling into scrupulosity. The Catholic Church teaches there are two sins against the virtue of hope - the sin of presumption and the sin of despair. Please find a solid Catholic who can guide you to avoid both.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2011
✟2,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone,

I've gone through many backsliding phases since my initial conversion to the faith as an adult.

When you come back to the faith try to find a balance between being conscious of your sins and being scrupulous. Do an examination of conscience and go to confession when you know you have mortal sin. Then trust that God forgave you for all your sins.

Don't deliberately leave out any sins in confession, but if you come out of confession and then realize you forgot to mention a sin. Don't worry about it. God forgave you for your sins and you would then be able to receive communion at Mass. Confess that forgotten sin the next time you go to confession if it comes to mind.

Besides the Bible and the Catechism of the Catholic Church, I recommend reading Scott Hahn books and "The Imitation of Christ" by Thomas a Kempis. I recommend the following version of the book (especially in audio book form):

"The Imitation of Christ" by Thomas a Kempis

May God bless you, and welcome back!

Upvote 0