God wants you to be charitable — even toward the annoying people who talk during Mass...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“Seriously,” he says, “do you understand a word he’s saying?” The man two rows behind us at Mass, sitting with his wife in the last row, has been talking the whole time. Sometimes about the Mass and sometimes about almost any subject under the sun.

I know few people are as easily distracted as I am, but still, WHY IS HE TALKING THROUGH MASS? I resist the temptation to turn around and ask him, “Why are you here, if you’re not interested in what’s going on?”

The priest lived in China till he was 12 and speaks with a Chinese accent, but he speaks understandably. Sometimes he blends two words, when he can’t say the first letter of the second word sharply enough for American ears. But you can only say he can’t be understood if you assume he can’t be understood, because you assume anyone with a Chinese accent can’t be understood. BECAUSE YOU’RE NOT ACTUALLY LISTENING.

At the end of Father’s homily, the man says, “Well, whaddaya know?” in a happy voice. He’s enjoyed the homily. I’m pleased. Then he says, “Nine minutes!”

Father pauses for a few seconds before starting the Creed, and he says, “Get movin’.” He continues talking through the Eucharistic prayer and then through Communion, up to and after going forward. Not quite in a normal speaking voice, but in three-quarters of a normal speaking voice.

He seems not to understand what worship requires. You can’t talk and concentrate on what’s going on at the same time. I finally decided to say something to him after Mass, as nicely as possible, about how distracting some people find conversation behind them. But he and his wife left after Communion.

Continued below.

• Prayers
Reactions: WarriorAngel

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
“Seriously,” he says, “do you understand a word he’s saying?” The man two rows behind us at Mass, sitting with his wife in the last row, has been talking the whole time. Sometimes about the Mass and sometimes about almost any subject under the sun.

I know few people are as easily distracted as I am, but still, WHY IS HE TALKING THROUGH MASS? I resist the temptation to turn around and ask him, “Why are you here, if you’re not interested in what’s going on?”

The priest lived in China till he was 12 and speaks with a Chinese accent, but he speaks understandably. Sometimes he blends two words, when he can’t say the first letter of the second word sharply enough for American ears. But you can only say he can’t be understood if you assume he can’t be understood, because you assume anyone with a Chinese accent can’t be understood. BECAUSE YOU’RE NOT ACTUALLY LISTENING.

At the end of Father’s homily, the man says, “Well, whaddaya know?” in a happy voice. He’s enjoyed the homily. I’m pleased. Then he says, “Nine minutes!”

Father pauses for a few seconds before starting the Creed, and he says, “Get movin’.” He continues talking through the Eucharistic prayer and then through Communion, up to and after going forward. Not quite in a normal speaking voice, but in three-quarters of a normal speaking voice.

He seems not to understand what worship requires. You can’t talk and concentrate on what’s going on at the same time. I finally decided to say something to him after Mass, as nicely as possible, about how distracting some people find conversation behind them. But he and his wife left after Communion.

Continued below.
Two women sitting right behind me were talking rather loudly today during Mass but I didn’t even give them a dirty look.

• Friendly
Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Continued below.
Seems to me he is def being tested [the one who cannot shut it, I mean]

Upvote 0