Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is a great idea, I'm definitely going to participate this Lent. I might try to add something extra to my fasting this year on behalf of the TLM.

Today I am publishing a worldwide appeal for prayers for the traditional Mass, which is being coordinated by Una Voce International, with the support of many others, including The Remnant newspaper. The official text follows; I follow this with some commentary of my own. -JS

Appeal for prayers and penances​

for the Liberty of the Traditional Mass in Lent​

Una Voce International and other organisations, groups and individuals concerned with the Traditional Latin Mass would like to appeal to all Catholics of good will to offer prayers and penances during the season of Lent, particularly for the intention: the liberty of the Traditional Mass.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love Latin as much as anybody. In fact, for personal prayer I pray the Latin Psalms. I even explore the different Latin versions.

But those who have this preoccupation and attachment to the Traditional Mass need to think about Obsequium religiosum.

(
religious submission, religious assent, or religious respect)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wonder how many people who are enthusiastic about TLM actually study the language. I have been getting really into it lately.
I will be happy to be proficient with the Latin Psalms. Then maybe I'll take a stab at Seneca and Marcus Aurelius. Right now I am still reviewing.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I love Latin as much as anybody. In fact, for personal prayer I pray the Latin Psalms. I even explore the different Latin versions.

But those who have this preoccupation and attachment to the Traditional Mass need to think about Obsequium religiosum.

(
religious submission, religious assent, or religious respect)
It's not about the language of Latin so much, it's about worship - adoration - communicated in the words and gestures, music and chant and orientation in the Traditional Mass. The N.O. has had mixed into its liturgy much of this world, and it is very vulnerable to the personality of the individual priest. This weakness or vulnerability in the N.O. has been exploited, I'm sorry to say, by the many "it's all about me" modern priests in this "it's all about me" Western culture. The TLM has woven into the fibers of its liturgy, the "it's all about God" of older times, and thanks be to God for that. We in this modern world NEED to learn that the Mass is all about God - and there we can finally find ourselves, and who we are.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not about the language of Latin so much, it's about worship - adoration - communicated in the words and gestures, music and chant and orientation in the Traditional Mass. The N.O. has had mixed into its liturgy much of this world, and it is very vulnerable to the personality of the individual priest. This weakness or vulnerability in the N.O. has been exploited, I'm sorry to say, by the many "it's all about me" modern priests in this "it's all about me" Western culture. The TLM has woven into the fibers of its liturgy, the "it's all about God" of older times, and thanks be to God for that. We in this modern world NEED to learn that the Mass is all about God - and there we can finally find ourselves, and who we are.
Ii seems to me TLM is more all about the priest. He is up there all by himself with is back to the people mumbling in a language most of them do not know.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ii seems to me TLM is more all about the priest. He is up there all by himself with is back to the people mumbling in a language most of them do not know.
His back is to the people for long periods of time, because his face is toward God. That gesture alone, of worship and adoration of God, is a prophetic statement priceless in today's self-centered obsession. The new Mass, sadly on the other hand, loudly gives the priest overabundant face-time before the people, adding more and more to the priest-centeredness of the celebration. We need to turn! To return to a God-centered, Christ-centered, Spirit-centered faith! I hope you and I can agree at least on that truth.

Reactions: jas3
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
His back is to the people for long periods of time, because his face is toward God. That gesture alone, of worship and adoration of God, is a prophetic statement priceless in today's self-centered obsession. The new Mass, sadly on the other hand, loudly gives the priest overabundant face-time before the people, adding more and more to the priest-centeredness of the celebration. We need to turn! To return to a God-centered, Christ-centered, Spirit-centered faith! I hope you and I can agree at least on that truth.
Yes, we can agree on that. But in the N.O. the Eucharist truly is at the center. We all can see exactly what the priest is doing and saying. Full, active, and conscious participation was the intent of Sacrosanctum Concilium. It is more conducive to have that quality of participation in the N.O. for most people. Perhaps it is more vulnerable to possible eccentricities of the presider and music minister. But I must say that most masses I have attended have been reverent and the music beautiful. I have no complaints about N.O. Just because the priest has what you call "face time", does not mean attention is focused on him. Certainly my attention is not focused on him. I do not need his back to me to focus on Christ and neither did the early Church.

All that being said, I do think there is a beauty and value to celebrating as in the language the Church has for centuries. as long as those who might prefer that language and rite do not thing they are doing something more holy or better than how the Holy Spirit has guided the Church to now gather her people and celebrate.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics