Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies to my introduction post. I really appreciate your time and your concern. Reading your replies makes me think of one of the most powerful aspects of Christianity for me (admittedly in my current ignorance): a willingness to help. Here I can tell complete strangers about some of my most important feelings and get thoughtful, kind replies. What a joy.
Joy is part of knowing Jesus Christ, won't you join us ? All He initially requires is that you believe in Him and ask Him in. That's faith. Amen

• Friendly
Reactions: Ruien
Upvote 0

revchar

Aug 12, 2017
Ogden, Utah
✟15,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's a good question. It's kind of hard to describe. I guess it felt like I was doing something meaningful. It felt important. I think I associated Christianity with something very weighty and supremely meaningful. I wanted to be a part of it, so being at church made me feel like I was doing something meaningful. ...But it was a vague, amorphous feeling. It was never intense.

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Craig gets on my nerves with his smugness. He has a lot of good things to say but I wish he would start saying it without the smug smirk... it's hard for me to watch him because of it.

Oh wow you don't like William Lane Craig?? I know it comes down to personal taste but I find him to be the most articulate debater there is, I rank him #1 for debates IMHO. I always took his faces as just being him internally processing his thoughts. For me debates however seem very surface level, it wasn't long before I felt like if I watched one debate I've watched them all.

There is some originality sprinkled into some debates however if you watch a ton of them. Even though I found them very redundant I kept watching them and must have watched over 150 (down time at work). I really wish I took note of a couple debates because I remember a few incredible rebuttals, but I've forgotten which debates they were (not just Craig). I don't really feel like watching 150 debates to try to find those few rebuttals again lol.

Craig also has some great videos series available that he has made straight from his classroom at Biola University - Store « Apologetics « Biola University
I have 2 of them, 'Defending the Resurrection' and 'Philosophy of Religion', absolutely top notch! The one is 30 hours long, it's like getting be his student, you're basically sitting in his classroom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pastor-Kings

Jul 29, 2017
Lagos
✟16,042.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all. Here's my introduction: I was raised without religion. In my early teens I became interested in the idea of God, and I began attending an evangelical church with one of my friends. I enjoyed it because it felt purposeful, but even there I never felt that I had any direct or true connection to God. My family moved to a different state not long after that, and I lost my fleeting connection to religion, and my interest in it as anything other than an anthropological curiosity.

Long story short: I'm now--twenty five years later, and married with two kids--seeking to cultivate a Christian life. I don't know if I'm trying to "become" a Christian, but I am trying to cultivate faith. I want to believe. I find it incredibly hard to believe, I guess because I have no idea how to even start. I know how to study, and I know how to work, but I don't know how to just "believe." But I have a desire, and I think it's an honest desire, so I will attend church services and see if I can get myself on a path to real faith.

You only believe in what you do not know, Christianity is not a religion. The knowledge of the Most Holy is understandable. If you want to have an in-depth knowledge of the GOD of creation and live a very certain Christian life, your journey just began. Send me private message to me and we will take it from there. Cheers

Attachments

• IMG-20170809-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20170809-WA0003.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0

Pastor-Kings

Jul 29, 2017
Lagos
✟16,042.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all. Here's my introduction: I was raised without religion. In my early teens I became interested in the idea of God, and I began attending an evangelical church with one of my friends. I enjoyed it because it felt purposeful, but even there I never felt that I had any direct or true connection to God. My family moved to a different state not long after that, and I lost my fleeting connection to religion, and my interest in it as anything other than an anthropological curiosity.

Long story short: I'm now--twenty five years later, and married with two kids--seeking to cultivate a Christian life. I don't know if I'm trying to "become" a Christian, but I am trying to cultivate faith. I want to believe. I find it incredibly hard to believe, I guess because I have no idea how to even start. I know how to study, and I know how to work, but I don't know how to just "believe." But I have a desire, and I think it's an honest desire, so I will attend church services and see if I can get myself on a path to real faith.

Usually a child of the kingdom begins to have this kinds of feeling when he has no link to the knowledge of his root/origin and also when the vulnerability associated with not having this knowledge becomes life threatening.

There is truly the GOD of creation and mankind is not a product of evolution, you did not happen by chance, you were predestined, there is a purpose for your life.

The knowledge of your predestination unlocks the path to your freedom. To know more about the origin of man and the reason for the fall and your predestination, I can be of assistance.

Attachments

• IMG-20170809-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20170809-WA0003.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Long story short: I'm now--twenty five years later, and married with two kids--seeking to cultivate a Christian life. I don't know if I'm trying to "become" a Christian, but I am trying to cultivate faith. I want to believe.

Hi Ruien, if you don't mind me asking, why? What is your principle purpose (and your other reasons as well) for wanting to "cultivate a Christian life"? Why do you "want to believe"?

If it's too personal, please don't answer, but it would be helpful to know what's behind your desire to head in this direction.

Thanks!

By the way, this warning of Paul1149's should be given serious consideration/always kept in the back of your mind as your proceed.
I see two possible paths ahead for you. Both are good, and both might be necessary. The first is to pursue your intellectual questions and find the answers you want. Once they are satisfied, you will be free to move on to faith. The pitfall there is that many get bogged down in intellectual parlor games and never get past them.
I have seen this very thing happen more than a few times.

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0

Ruien

Aug 11, 2017
Mt Vernon
✟20,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Ruien, if you don't mind me asking, why? What is your principle purpose (and your other reasons as well) for wanting to "cultivate a Christian life"? Why do you "want to believe"?

If it's too personal, please don't answer, but it would be helpful to know what's behind your desire to head in this direction.

Thanks!

By the way, this warning of Paul1149's should be given serious consideration/always kept in the back of your mind as your proceed.
I have seen this very thing happen more than a few times.

Yours and His,
David
Good question David. This is personal of course (how could it be otherwise?) but this seems like the right place to share and discuss exactly this type of thing. Here are some honest reflections:

Beauty - There's got to be something supremely beautiful and harmonious about the understanding, vision, worldview, or whatever it is, that Christians must feel. I've heard it said in words--there's the common claim about "having a sense of purpose." I can only imagine the sense of resonance and wonder that it must give people to feel that they are in touch with God. I don't imagine that at every moment all Christians are feeling transcendent or anything, but I wonder.

Fear - I am afraid of dying. I am amazed that anyone could not be afraid of dying. I don't expect that claiming to "join" any religion is going to give me eternal life, of course. I just find it comforting to read about what different traditions say and practice about this issue, and I have seen that religion can give people actual resources for dealing with suffering and fear.

Character growth - From the outside, I have seen the joy and strength that Christian belief seems to give people. I believe it is no accident that having an honest and ever-present focus on something outside oneself helps people be better people.

Intellectual and spiritual growth - I find it very rewarding to think and talk about religious questions. I've just joined CF but already have had brief but interesting exchanges with other people here about the nature of God and how we can know it, the divinity of Jesus, the point of worship, and the nature of morality. (Kinda makes chatter about TV shows or sports seem trivial.)

Belonging - The community I alluded to above is part of the attraction for me. I have spent time learning about and "following" Buddhism but I felt I was missing something. Part of this is due to my own limitations as I have never been very committed about meditation (or prayer), but nonetheless I felt that in addition to an enriched inner life I wanted an outward bonding with others on a similar spiritual quest. My few conversations with Buddhist practitioners have left me feeling lost, whereas many of my conversations with Christians have left me feeling welcomed and hopeful.

Tradition - I believe that tradition holds a people together and thoughtful respect for tradition is necessary for a healthy society. Obviously the Christian tradition(s) have been immensely important in the development of Western civilization, and I think have largely been a force for good. (At the same time, I am bothered by historical events such as the Inquisition and Christian justifications of the treatment of native Americans following contact. However, I know that historical atrocities are not unique to Christian cultures.)

Culture and politics - Without getting too off-topic and hopefully without alienating anyone, I like what appears to be, for lack of a better term, the common Christian perspective about political issues. (This is in the context of the present-day US.) I find that my own beliefs about issues of "culture wars" and public policy tend to align with the views of mainstream Christians. While this doesn't mean I have to "join" them, it makes me inclined towards their worldview and to see what I can learn from it.

Family - I have two kids and I don't want them to be deprived of religion as they grow up. I want them to cultivate a spiritual life, and I think that regularly spending some time in contemplation, prayer, and study of religion will help them build fortitude and character and lead them toward a more fulfilling life than they might otherwise have.

All of this probably indicates why it's more honest for me to write in my CF profile that I am a "seeker" rather than a "Christian seeker," but Christianity is where I am seeking now.

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Fear - I am afraid of dying...I don't expect that claiming to "join" any religion is going to give me eternal life, of course.

Agreed. I'm a big fan of trying your best to live with the glass half full, Buddhism seems cool. But personally the only thing I ever wanted out of a religion that I seeked was an answer to what is on the other side of death. There are these claims that this man Jesus from history went to the other side of death, then came back to talk about it, literally defeated death.

Ok, I'm not going to simply assume that the claim makes it true, but at the very least THAT is the guy that I'm gonna want to investigate. Why would I even waste my time investigating a person from history who didn't even claim to have beaten death lol? That makes no sense to me if my question is about the other side of death.

Here's the cliche of the day...'Put up or shut up!' The resurrection should be the cornerstone of your investigation. If you read the letters of Paul he repeats himself over & over that if the resurrection never happened than our teaching is in vain. Translation, put up or shut up (about the afterlife).

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pastor-Kings

Jul 29, 2017
Lagos
✟16,042.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fear - I am afraid of dying. I am amazed that anyone could not be afraid of dying.

GOD is not a mortal being. The man GOD coupled in Genesis, who was made in GOD's image and likeness was also not a mortal being. Something brought the mortal nature and the essence of Christianity is to deal totally with the mortal nature and find our way back to that original celestial immortal life, without having to bow to death first.

Christianity has the solution to death.

Christianity is not a religion. The good news of the gospel is that a mortal man whose lifespan is limited can live ever-lasting without ageing or tasting death at all, this is exactly what the term ever-lasting life means and this was the nucleus of the gospel Jesus Christ (H.P) preached when HE was here (see John 8:52, 11:25-26). The message was rather too high for a world that did not experience electricity, gadgets and automobiles etc.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Good question David. This is personal of course (how could it be otherwise?) but this seems like the right place to share and discuss exactly this type of thing. Here are some honest reflections:

Beauty - There's got to be something supremely beautiful and harmonious about the understanding, vision, worldview, or whatever it is, that Christians must feel. I've heard it said in words--there's the common claim about "having a sense of purpose." I can only imagine the sense of resonance and wonder that it must give people to feel that they are in touch with God. I don't imagine that at every moment all Christians are feeling transcendent or anything, but I wonder.

Fear - I am afraid of dying. I am amazed that anyone could not be afraid of dying. I don't expect that claiming to "join" any religion is going to give me eternal life, of course. I just find it comforting to read about what different traditions say and practice about this issue, and I have seen that religion can give people actual resources for dealing with suffering and fear.

Character growth - From the outside, I have seen the joy and strength that Christian belief seems to give people. I believe it is no accident that having an honest and ever-present focus on something outside oneself helps people be better people.

Intellectual and spiritual growth - I find it very rewarding to think and talk about religious questions. I've just joined CF but already have had brief but interesting exchanges with other people here about the nature of God and how we can know it, the divinity of Jesus, the point of worship, and the nature of morality. (Kinda makes chatter about TV shows or sports seem trivial.)

Belonging - The community I alluded to above is part of the attraction for me. I have spent time learning about and "following" Buddhism but I felt I was missing something. Part of this is due to my own limitations as I have never been very committed about meditation (or prayer), but nonetheless I felt that in addition to an enriched inner life I wanted an outward bonding with others on a similar spiritual quest. My few conversations with Buddhist practitioners have left me feeling lost, whereas many of my conversations with Christians have left me feeling welcomed and hopeful.

Tradition - I believe that tradition holds a people together and thoughtful respect for tradition is necessary for a healthy society. Obviously the Christian tradition(s) have been immensely important in the development of Western civilization, and I think have largely been a force for good. (At the same time, I am bothered by historical events such as the Inquisition and Christian justifications of the treatment of native Americans following contact. However, I know that historical atrocities are not unique to Christian cultures.)

Culture and politics - Without getting too off-topic and hopefully without alienating anyone, I like what appears to be, for lack of a better term, the common Christian perspective about political issues. (This is in the context of the present-day US.) I find that my own beliefs about issues of "culture wars" and public policy tend to align with the views of mainstream Christians. While this doesn't mean I have to "join" them, it makes me inclined towards their worldview and to see what I can learn from it.

Family - I have two kids and I don't want them to be deprived of religion as they grow up. I want them to cultivate a spiritual life, and I think that regularly spending some time in contemplation, prayer, and study of religion will help them build fortitude and character and lead them toward a more fulfilling life than they might otherwise have.

All of this probably indicates why it's more honest for me to write in my CF profile that I am a "seeker" rather than a "Christian seeker," but Christianity is where I am seeking now.
Hi again Ruien, I must say that I am impressed (yet again :)) at how very well you express yourself on the printed page :oldthumbsup: I'm also impressed by your understanding of many of the blessings and benefits that come along with being part of the church and being a Christian.

I asked you why you wanted to become a Christian, but the reason that I was most hoping to see is missing from your list. While everything you pointed out was insightful and very important (and a part of the blessings and benefits of the Christian life), I think you've missed the elephant in the room (so to speak ;)).

Gotta go for now. We can talk some more later today if you'd like to though (Dv).

In Christ,
David
p.s. - I think @Dirk1540 pretty much hit the nail on the head when he said that as far as your studies go, you should make, "the Resurrection ... the cornerstone of your investigation". The Gospel is, Jesus Christ and Him crucified .. 1 Corinthians 2:2.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Drake50

Aug 13, 2017
South East
✟8,862.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh dear. What happens when a person poses a question about becoming a Christian, and up come all the long winded explanations from well-wishers, followed by long winded ruminationations by the guy who asked the questions, and we all get bogged down in trying to help him understand. People really know how to complicate things don't they?

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

I am the way, the truth and the life. No-one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6.

Stop intellectualising, Ruien. Either Jesus lied about who he is or he didn't. It's time you stopped playing around and made a decision. I did I chose to follow Jesus, and my life has never been the same since. . Dont put it off - Now is the day of salvation 2 Corinthians 6:2 - it does not say "but not for Ruien".

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
p.s. - I think @Dirk1540 pretty much hit the nail on the head when he said that as far as your studies go, you should make, "the Resurrection ... the cornerstone of your investigation". The Gospel is, Jesus Christ and Him crucified .. 1 Corinthians 2:2.

Having said that, an apologetics course usually does like to have the format of...defending the existence of God first, defending the argument that God is a personal agent next, and defending historically & archaeologically various sections of the Bible next...then lead into Jesus studies, which yes will be the heart of your investigation. This is only gonna set a better stage, build more credibility all around the context of Jesus, easier to except Jesus as God if you already find logic in the concept of a God and the concept of God as a personal agent.

Upvote 0

Lili2707

Aug 14, 2017
Boston
✟8,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi Ruien,
I feel the same way as you. I want to believe in God but I don't feel is presence but want to believe in him.

But how do we know what is true? We use our observation and our reason. We examine primary and secondary sources and read multiple interpretations. I know that water is wet. I know that 2+2 = 4. I know that Germany invaded Poland in 1939. I know that it's a bad idea to make a guitar out of balsa wood.

I hope these examples will show that the sort of belief we're talking about is different from "accepting some information as true." Anyway, I am trying to cultivate this other sort of belief.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi Ruien,
I feel the same way as you. I want to believe in God but I don't feel is presence but want to believe in him.
Hello Lili2707!! What would you say is your biggest obstacle? Just wondering because some lean more heavily towards intellectual objections, whereas some lean heavily towards that inner experience of God. Your post sounds like the later is true for you, I just wasn't sure.

EDIT...wow Lili2707 it's late and I'm tired lol, didn't even notice the part that you quoted, ok that explains it better. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Thank you Truthfrees for the suggestions. I read John today--probably the first time I've ever read an entire book of the Bible through in one sitting--and the verses you mentioned. Somehow it seemed worthwhile to just look those up. Anyway, I'm trying to read with an open mind and heart. I can tell it's going to take some commitment on my part to develop a habit of prayerful reading. But one step at a time.
amen

that is terrific

it is a slow process

but there will be steady growth

i was given really good advice when i was first seeking God and wanting to know if He was real:
"talk to God like He is real - and really there"

it may seem kinda strange at first - but keep doing it - because for sure in time God will prove Himself real to you in a way that will be permanently unshakable - this is the difference between religion and relationship - we each can change our religious doctrines as we grow in Christ - but our relationship with God through Jesus only gets stronger/deeper/unbreakable - our life is found in God - not in religious doctrines

religious doctrines really are only supposed to be stepping stones to a better relationship with God - but too often they end up being debate points that cause division - so imo if you want to grow in God - avoid the debaters - seek out the God lovers who do what Jesus said to do - love God and love people - Luke 10:27

everyone needs his own proof from God - and God will liberally supply it as we keep talking to Him like He is real and really there

one way God speaks is to make certain scriptures pop out when reading the Bible - prayerfully read pages of scripture - even if you don't really understanding much of what you read if you keep reading you will find that certain parts will grab your attention

ask God what He means by that scripture - and God will start impressing on your heart and mind what He was talking about - if you wait long enough

so don't be in a hurry with God - keep seeking Him and He will eventually answer in the most profound way you have ever experienced

He actually desires a personal relationship with each of us - and each of us are equally valuable to God - He has no favorites - and He has unlimited time and attention for each of us to know beyond a doubt how loved we are by God

connecting directly with God through the name of Jesus is the solid ground we each need first before we can take on other issues with God

through the name of Jesus means that we talk to God in the name of Jesus - we realize the reason God fully accepts us is because of Jesus - we ask our questions in the name of Jesus - because Jesus said using His name was our access card into His protection - provision - authority in prayer - etc - the name "Jesus" means "God Saves/Heals/Delivers/Protects/etc

praying for you my dear friend

praying for you and God to have such a wonderful time together as you get acquainted/familiar with Him and how He communicates with us

praying for the grace and goodness of God to flood your entire life in a slow steady saturating proccess

God Bless you and your loved ones and all that pertains to you

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith

wow

God is for sure leading you in the right direction - great wisdom in your thoughtful post

imo religion/doctrines should only be used to deepen and solidify our relationship with God

the warmth and life you sense in Christians is what the Bible calls "Christ in me my only hope of glory/perfection/fullness in God" - Colossians 1:27

Jesus said apart from Him we can do nothing - everything good you see is from connecting with God through Christ on a deep heart/soul level - John 15:5

God Bless you my dear friend

praying for you and all the issues you presented

Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single

first you should start with the basic. do you think that god exist? have you read about scientific evidences for god in some creationists sites?

Upvote 0