Trump proposes compromise to end shutdown, Pelosi rejects it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian

In 2013 Trump claimed on Foxnews that the responsibility for a governmental shutdown is the fault of the President. Suddenly he's blaming Pelosi, even though she and the House have passed several bills to open the government and the Senate won't even pass the same bill that they have already passed a month ago! Talk about pure hypocrisy. Trump is a weak leader.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Let's look at the facts:

Trump claimed that *Mexico* would pay for his useless wall. He flat out lied and now he demands that we pay for it ----- or else.
Trump claimed that he would take the mantle and he would proudly take responsibility for the shutdown and publicly stated that he wouldn't blame others for his shutdown. He lied again.
Trump claimed that there was no collusion going on between his election campaign and Russia. We now know thanks to poor redaction of court documents filed by Manafort's lawyer that Trump lied about that too because his campaign chairman handed over internal polling data to the Russians during the campaign.
Trump claimed throughout the election process that he had no financial dealings going on with Russia. He lied about that too because he was negotiating for a Trump tower in Moscow throughout the entire election process.
Trump continues to mislead the public when he states that a wall will solve the drug problem when in fact most of the illegal drugs come through ports of entry or they come in the mail from China, and most of the drug problem is related to *prescription drug abuse* in the first place not Mexico.
A wall could only solve 1/3rd of the immigration problem at best case because most illegal aliens simply overstay their visa, they don't come across the border illegally so that argument is also completely false and misleading.

Nothing that Trump says can be counted on to be a truthful statement, but somehow he claims that the Democrats are now responsible for a shutdown that he originally claimed that he would be proud to take credit for over a wall that he claimed that Mexico would pay for. Sheesh.

Now Trump is even blatantly intimidating witnesses by publicly threatening them on twitter by implying that he will go after their families if they testify before Congress. What an embarrassment he's become. This whole shutdown is a ruse. It's designed to take our focus off of the illegal activity that he's been engaged in during the election. He's obstructing justice at every turn by firing Comey for not dropping his investigation of a now convicted felon and by firing Jeff Sessions simply for recusing himself from the Mueller investigation. Now he's threatening witnesses and intentionally cutting off funding to the FBI and the courts to make it even harder to prosecute him. Trump acts like he's a corrupt dictator not an honest President.

Let's get real. This whole shutdown is his own doing. It's specially and intentionally designed to take our focus away from his illegal campaign activity, not to make us any safer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Apparently it took Trump more than a month to realize that he should have accepted thel deal that he was originally offered back on December 22nd before the shutdown even started. Oy Vey. :(

Plenty of contractors will still *never* be made financially whole from this completely unnecessary and pointless shutdown. :(

At least 800,000 Americans now have a temporary reprieve from Trump's hostage taking routine, but who knows for how long?

Who's going to pay for the wall? Certainly not Mexico.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
I hate to be such a pessimist, but I can't help but wonder if the timing of the end of shutdown has more do with trying to get the news media to focus on the end of the shutdown over the weekend rather than to focus on the indictment of Roger Stone.

How many people from Trump's campaign have now been indicted, found guilty, or have already plead guilty of a felony? Trump is definitely in trouble. No collusion my eye.......

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I hate to be such a pessimist, but I can't help but wonder if the timing of the end of shutdown has more do with trying to get the news media to focus on the end of the shutdown over the weekend rather than to focus on the indictment of Roger Stone.

That's a line of reasoning that would claim Trump ended the shutdown for a bad reason. If the shutdown doesn't end at this time, then you could say Trump doesn't care about the "hostages". But it was clear long ago that Trump-haters are going to hate him no matter what he does or doesn't do. The line of reasoning you lay out here is evidence of that.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That's a line of reasoning that would claim Trump ended the shutdown for a bad reason. If the shutdown doesn't end at this time, then you could say Trump doesn't care about the "hostages". But it was clear long ago that Trump-haters are going to hate him no matter what he does or doesn't do. The line of reasoning you lay out here is evidence of that.
Anyone have any idea who or what this post is talking about? I can't seem to make it line up with what actually happened back here in reality.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Anyone have any idea who or what this post is talking about? I can't seem to make it line up with what actually happened back here in reality.

I think this person thinks that Trump clearly cares about people because he was only willing to hurt them for so long in a pointless charade.

The counter point can be made that this isn't necessarily true because it is just as reasonable to believe that Trump accepted the deal because he wants to give the state of the union address.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think this person thinks that Trump clearly cares about people because he was only willing to hurt them for so long in a pointless charade.

The counter point can be made that this isn't necessarily true because it is just as reasonable to believe that Trump accepted the deal because he wants to give the state of the union address.

The point I was making is that those who are so determined to see Trump's actions as being somehow wrong are going to see wrong in whatever he does. He was allowing the shutdown to continue, and people blamed him. Now he's ended it, and the same people are finding fault with that. What if the shutdown were still continuing? Would that be better?

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The point I was making is that those who are so determined to see Trump's actions as being somehow wrong are going to see wrong in whatever he does. He was allowing the shutdown to continue, and people blamed him. Now he's ended it, and the same people are finding fault with that. What if the shutdown were still continuing? Would that be better?

I don't think it is the same people. Mostly he is getting flack from his right flank on stopping the shutdown.

Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married

I will think Trump is wrong when the things does are wrong.

He was right to re-open the government.

He is getting more criticism from the right for signing the bill. Those of us on the left are just pointing out that he caved (which was the right thing to do).

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I will think Trump is wrong when the things does are wrong.

He was right to re-open the government.

He is getting more criticism from the right for signing the bill. Those of us on the left are just pointing out that he caved (which was the right thing to do).

The fact that it's only a 3 week fix indicates that he wanted the federal workers to get their pay. After that, I believe the govt. will be closed again because the funding is only good for that amount of time. If Trump really believes the wall is vital, he needs to hold Pelosi's feet to the fire. She's already talked about "negotiating" about the issue after the govt. is reopened, while at the same time saying that her mind is made up to oppose it. That's not a good negotiating tactic.

• Agree
Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
The fact that it's only a 3 week fix indicates that he wanted the federal workers to get their pay. After that, I believe the govt. will be closed again because the funding is only good for that amount of time. If Trump really believes the wall is vital, he needs to hold Pelosi's feet to the fire. She's already talked about "negotiating" about the issue after the govt. is reopened, while at the same time saying that her mind is made up to oppose it. That's not a good negotiating tactic.

I also predict another shutdown. And, I predict Trump will be blamed again.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I also predict another shutdown. And, I predict Trump will be blamed again.

As long as the MSM remains as biased as it is, that will be the narrative by default regardless of the circumstances. I mean, can you imagine any of the talking heads on TV saying something like, "President Trump has proposed an option that would strengthen our nation's border security and keep the government from shutting down, but House Majority leader Nancy Pelosi has indicated that opposing the president's plan is more important that hundreds of thousands of workers being paid"?

Another way of looking at it is to imagine Trump as the House majority leader, and Pelosi as the president with exactly the same actions as are happening now. Would the president (Pelosi) be considered to be having temper tantrums and holding 800,000 workers hostage? Or would they say she's exercising her authority and not being pushed around by a billionaire in Congress?

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
As long as the MSM remains as biased as it is, that will be the narrative by default regardless of the circumstances. I mean, can you imagine any of the talking heads on TV saying something like, "President Trump has proposed an option that would strengthen our nation's border security and keep the government from shutting down, but House Majority leader Nancy Pelosi has indicated that opposing the president's plan is more important that hundreds of thousands of workers being paid"?

Another way of looking at it is to imagine Trump as the House majority leader, and Pelosi as the president with exactly the same actions as are happening now. Would the president (Pelosi) be considered to be having temper tantrums and holding 800,000 workers hostage? Or would they say she's exercising her authority and not being pushed around by a billionaire in Congress?
Except I can’t imagine anyone except Trump being so stupid as to close the government over a border wall that is not going to contribute significantly to fixing the problem and that most people do not want.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Except I can’t imagine anyone except Trump being so stupid as to close the government over a border wall that is not going to contribute significantly to fixing the problem and that most people do not want.

But keep an open mind. Can you imagine any politicians who say they are so concerned about nearly a million people getting their paychecks versus ending up homeless, but then going ahead and rejecting spending bills that would get them paid--just to avoid funding a wall, which is not exactly a unique idea?

• Agree
Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
But keep an open mind. Can you imagine any politicians who say they are so concerned about nearly a million people getting their paychecks versus ending up homeless, but then going ahead and rejecting spending bills that would get them paid--just to avoid funding a wall, which is not exactly a unique idea?

Giving in to Trump on this would have been terrible. Would have encouraged him to use this strategy next time he had a hair brained idea. Or, when he needs more wall funding since $5.7 billion was never going to fund his entire vanity project.

Pelosi offered and the House passed clean spending bills on day 1 of the new Congress which McConnel didn’t bring for a vote and Trump indicated he would veto.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Giving in to Trump on this would have been terrible. Would have encouraged him to use this strategy next time he had a hair brained idea. Or, when he needs more wall funding since $5.7 billion was never going to fund his entire vanity project.

How is the way it turned out any less terrible? Building the wall would have created jobs. Funding it right away rather than putting it off would have put the issue behind us. Now it's still in front of us. No, funding the wall wouldn't have been terrible. Allowing MS13 gangs to continue to come here is what's terrible. The drugs that are brought here and the effects they have on people is terrible. Not funding the wall and costing 800,000 people their paychecks was terrible.

• Agree
Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
What some folks need to get through their head is all members of Congress are beholden to the American people . What various current polls are telling Democrats is that the American people as a whole don't want the wall. The only way the Dems should give Trump funding for the wall is if they get something substantial to mollify the ire of the American voters.

This isn't about opposing Trump for the heck of it. The Dems want to keep their jobs and giving Trump that wall puts them in jeopardy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.