Trump proposes compromise to end shutdown, Pelosi rejects it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Didn't they say that they would be taking it up this summer session? I think that's in July.
The Supreme Court doesn’t have a summer session. In May and June they announce decisions. During the summer they finalize what cases will be heard. The Court term begins in October.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Supreme Court doesn’t have a summer session. In May and June they announce decisions. During the summer they finalize what cases will be heard. The Court term begins in October.
Thanks for your correction....so the earliest they would hear arguments would be October.

I guess I was thinking about Masterpiece Cakeshop but they heard arguments in Dec. 2017 and gave their decision in June of 2018.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks for your correction....so the earliest they would hear arguments would be October.

I guess I was thinking about Masterpiece Cakeshop but they heard arguments in Dec. 2017 and gave their decision in June of 2018.

It is probably on the list that they will finalize over the summer, which is probably why you saw the case listed.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your definition of "hostage" is an insult to anyone who's ever actually been held hostage.

I've always been amused how some people redefine words when trying to make an irrelevant point sound relevant, I can see you are amused too.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
DACA is and always has been illegal, more activist judges doing the bidding of their political masters.
The legality or illegality of DACA is most probably going to be left up to the Supreme Court.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟228,159.00
Faith
Christian

Having read the story, I think she should just take the second job and lie about it. ignore the regulations. When government won't bother to govern, and won't pay employees what they're owed, all bets are off.

I'm surprised more government employees haven't simply started stealing stuff and selling it off.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
At least Trump is trying. We need the Democrats to do the same:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-pr...-end-shutdown-source-160838537--business.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump proposed an immigration deal on Saturday in a bid to end a 29-day partial government shutdown, after House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi and other leading Democrats had already said they rejected the plan.

Trump stuck to his demand that $5.7 billion for this year to fund a U.S.-Mexico border wall be part of any bill to fully reopen the government, an ultimatum Democrats oppose. But the president had hoped that offering new protections for some undocumented immigrants could end a month long impasse with Congress.

In a speech from the White House, Trump offered to extend support for legislation to protect young undocumented immigrants, known as “Dreamers," as well as holders of temporary protected status (TPS).

Describing a U.S. immigration system that he called "badly broken," Trump said, "I am here today to break the logjam and provide Congress with a path forward to end the government shutdown and solve the crisis along the southern border."

He said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell would seek quick passage of his proposal.

Shortly before he spoke, Pelosi, the top U.S. Democrat, in a statement said the offer was "unacceptable" and did not "represent a good-faith effort to restore certainty to people's lives." She said the president's offer was unlikely to gain the votes needed to pass the House or Senate.
But we have been here before, Trump makes an offer like this and then when it comes right down to doing it he will blow the whole thing up. He could have had five times that amount but went into a meeting ranting about s*hole countries derailing any effective effort on the part of the Congress. Sure, he will make some speeches like he is actually capable of a good faith effort, his track record has proven decisively that he can't be trusted to keep his word no matter what he promises. Mitch McConnell is going to keep the logjam up until the Democrats hand over the money unconditionally and that's not going to happen. Meanwhile individual 1 has an effective diversion from the ongoing investigation into he alleged involvement with Russia and obstruction of justice. Sooner or later reality will catch up with him, 2020 should be a hoot.

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The legality or illegality of DACA is most probably going to be left up to the Supreme Court.

DAPA has already been shot down in flames and DACA will do the same. Obama didn't have the authority to override national immigration laws no president does, I wonder if Nancy and Chucky have figured that out yet? ^_^

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
DAPA has already been shot down in flames and DACA will do the same. Obama didn't have the authority to override national immigration laws no president does, I wonder if Nancy and Chucky have figured that out yet? ^_^
Perhaps DACA will be shot down—we will have to see what the high court does.

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps DACA will be shot down—we will have to see what the high court does.

From what I understand they aren't going to take it up this term but you never know that may change. As of this moment the only thing standing between DACA and the dustbin of history is the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Whose rulings get overturned at a 80%+ rate so the odds are good it will end up in the dumpster.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
From what I understand they aren't going to take it up this term but you never know that may change. As of this moment the only thing standing between DACA and the dustbin of history is the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Whose rulings get overturned at a 80%+ rate so the odds are good it will end up in the dumpster.
Yes, I already said that it wouldn’t be until the next term. I don’t try to guess what the Supreme Court will do. We will have to wait and see.

Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟343,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It's also being litigated in at least 3 other circuits I'm aware of. And the 9th Circuit gets 80% of the cases picked for review overturned, but that's just the cases picked for review. It'll probably go to SCOTUS eventually even without a circuit split because it's a national issue, but if there isn't a split SCOTUS might just affirm it.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
They'll get back pay. You realize that, right? Besides, don't people save back money for even a single month anymore in case of an income disruption? Federal jobs aren't exactly low-paying jobs.

By what standard?

You know that the federal GS pay scales are publicly available, right?
General Schedule (GS) Base Pay Scale for 2019
General Schedule (GS) Locality Pay Area Map

Look at the map, it appears that the lowest locality pay adjustment is about about 15% for most places outside of bigger urban/suburban areas.

That website describes a GS-7 as being typical for the starting grade of a scientist or engineer fresh out of school with a Bachelors. With a location adjustment of 17%, that puts starting pay at $41,949.

Ooh baby. I made 25% more than that in non-inflation-adjusted numbers as a noob engineer in 2001.

...on thing in particular he needs to do is to move off of the "well, I talked to border patrol agents, and they said" talking points. While they might be the front line for certain aspects, that doesn't them de facto credentials with regards to spending, budget, or immigration policy making.

IME, "because border patrol said so" is sufficient justification for his fanbase.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But we have been here before, Trump makes an offer like this and then when it comes right down to doing it he will blow the whole thing up. He could have had five times that amount but went into a meeting ranting about s*hole countries derailing any effective effort on the part of the Congress. Sure, he will make some speeches like he is actually capable of a good faith effort, his track record has proven decisively that he can't be trusted to keep his word no matter what he promises. Mitch McConnell is going to keep the logjam up until the Democrats hand over the money unconditionally and that's not going to happen. Meanwhile individual 1 has an effective diversion from the ongoing investigation into he alleged involvement with Russia and obstruction of justice. Sooner or later reality will catch up with him, 2020 should be a hoot.

There is no trust in his word. And for good reason.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After 3 years it will be another presidents problem.

...just as the Congress has been doing for a couple of decades now.

One of these days, Republicans will find a backbone and implement comprehensive border security and ignore the far right's cries of "AMNESTY"

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,465.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Having read the story, I think she should just take the second job and lie about it. ignore the regulations. When government won't bother to govern, and won't pay employees what they're owed, all bets are off.

I'm surprised more government employees haven't simply started stealing stuff and selling it off.
95BBB3EE-88D2-4E70-9EC1-62766956B43E.jpeg

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.