Trump Endorses Jim Jordan for Speaker (Scalise gets conference nod, but withdraws!)

Green Sun

404: Star not found
Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟45,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
With the absentees today, Jordan would need to get 214 votes for Speaker, assuming no one else votes present. This would give him a margin of only 5 Republicans voting for "Other".
1697815070184.png

Jim Jordan has lost the 3rd round of voting.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"House Republicans, meeting behind closed doors, voted Friday by secret ballot for Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) to step aside as the GOP speaker nominee after a third vote on the House floor in which Jordan fell well short of a majority of the full chamber. The vote to remove Jordan was 112 to 86. The move leaves the Republican conference without a nominee more than two weeks after the ouster of Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) as speaker. House Republicans will return Monday to start the process again. Members have until Sunday to declare speaker candidacies."

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Seen on NewsMax on GETTR:

"The swamp struck back quite frankly and defeated [Jim Jordan] in a secret ballot by Republicans." @RepBobGood reacts to the end of Rep. Jim Jordan's speakership bid after a Republican conference vote.

The Swamp is coming from inside the GOP conference!

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seen on NewsMax on GETTR:

"The swamp struck back quite frankly and defeated [Jim Jordan] in a secret ballot by Republicans." @RepBobGood reacts to the end of Rep. Jim Jordan's speakership bid after a Republican conference vote.

The Swamp is coming from inside the GOP conference!
This is news to you? Plenty of Republicans in the establishment

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
This is news to you? Plenty of Republicans in the establishment
I'm just hoping the swampy voters will stop voting for MAGA GOP candidates, and the MAGA voters stop voting for swampy GOP candidates.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm just hoping the swampy voters will stop voting for MAGA GOP candidates, and the MAGA voters stop voting for swampy GOP candidates.
MAGA works great in the primaries but I’m afraid it’s not going to win the general. I don’t want four more years of Trump but four more years of Biden is even scarier.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The issue with this sort of claim--"it shows the Republican Party is broken!"--is that the Republicans have such a small majority. It takes only a few people to break ranks to cause problems; if just 2% of the Republicans in the House don't want to go along with something, and you can't get any Democrats to sign up, then it doesn't get done. The issue here is there being a small percentage of Republicans in the House that are contrarians causing the various problems and wielding undue influence due to the majority being so narrow.
It's also the utter refusal of Republicans to work with Democrats.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The 25th Amendment actually requires a Speaker to be invoked.
You brought up a good point. Section 4 says they transmit to the Speaker. I'm not sure what happens if they are not there. I saw a NY Times article that it is unclear exactly what Acting Speaker McHenry can or can't do.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You brought up a good point. Section 4 says they transmit to the Speaker. I'm not sure what happens if they are not there. I saw a NY Times article that it is unclear exactly what Acting Speaker McHenry can or can't do.
Yeah because there has never been a Speaker Pro Tem before, and the legislation crating the role was very vague.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Removing an incumbent President because they might die suddenly?
President Harris then!?
Death of course would make Harris automatic, but Biden could be incapacitated and removed. Either way yes, it would be President Harris. I have to wonder if Biden really decides to run again, a removal from democrats could end up being political rather than absolute necessary. I don't think the criteria for unfit for office is too specific.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The four Republicans who voted for Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) on Tuesday but not today — Reps. Vern Buchanan (Fla.), Drew Ferguson (Ga.)...

Georgia Republican Drew Ferguson says he won’t run for reelection

Ferguson, 57, did not provide a reason for his decision but said he looks forward to spending more time with his family.

Ferguson was among several members who reported receiving death threats after casting a controversial vote. He switched his vote to oppose House Judiciary Chair Jim Jordan’s (R-Ohio) candidacy for Speaker after he said the chair’s “threatening tactics” concerned him.

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums