Trump Endorses Jim Jordan for Speaker (Scalise gets conference nod, but withdraws!)

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I believe one of Jordan's opposition said that he would vote for Jordan if he publicly admitted that 2020 was legitimate and that Biden won.
Probably Ken Buck, who says Jordan has dodged his question about it. Likewise, other reporters have been unable to get Jordan's answer to the question.

Whatever Jordan actually believes, that's his ticket to Trumpland, so he's not likely to anger the MAGA crowd.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Another House speaker vote expected today after Jordan fails on first ballot

On Tuesday night, after Jordan’s first attempt to become speaker failed, The Washington Post reported that the Republican Governance Group, a coalition of moderates run by [Ohio Rep. David] Joyce, signed off on a resolution that would give McHenry more authority to run the House until Jan. 3.
--
Allies of Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) are blaming House Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) for Jordan’s failure on Tuesday, saying Scalise didn’t do enough to push his supporters to back Jordan.
--
Fox News host Sean Hannity vented to his millions of viewers Monday night about the state of the Republican effort to name a new House speaker — taking special aim at the “few sensitive little █████████ in Congress” who were not supporting his preferred GOP candidate, Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio.
--
Former New Jersey governor Chris Christie, who is running for president, said on MSNBC that House Republicans need to pick somebody, anybody, to be speaker.
He added: “The American people are tired of sitting and watching these folks navel-gaze and snipe at each other and accomplish nothing.”

While I do want to get a budget passed, I'm not sure I'm tired of seeing the Republicans snipe at each other and be dysfunctional in front of the American electorate.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The irony is Jim Jordan has to win over Republicans he has criticized in the past for compromising. Jordan would be on my top 10 list of Republicans not to nominate for Speaker. He is a flame thrower, not a negotiator.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Already a vote for McCarthy
Buchanan goes for Byron Donalds [he voted for Jordan yesterday]
Buck goes for Emmer
Another for McCarthy [if this holds up, Jordan has lost again]
Zeldin gets a vote
Scalise gets a vote
Ellzey votes for Mike Garcia again
McCathy and Scalise get another vote.

[CNN does note that votes can be changed before the gavel comes down.]

But for now Jordan is doing worse than yesterday.

1697646523674.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Green Sun

404: Star not found
Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟45,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Jordan has officially gotten a worse score than yesterday, with 22 republicans voting for someone else, compared to the 20 on the prior vote.

Definitely seems like sending text messages to the wives of GOP house members and getting Sean Hannity to cold call and confront them didn't warm anyone over to his side.

1697648187204.png

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Jordan has officially gotten a worse score than yesterday, with 22 republicans voting for someone else, compared to the 20 on the prior vote.

Definitely seems like sending text messages to the wives of GOP house members and getting Sean Hannity to cold call and confront them didn't warm anyone over to his side.

View attachment 337903
Wait what? I heard about the Hannity thing, but they were texting spouses?

Upvote 0

Green Sun

Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟45,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The four Republicans who voted for Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) on Tuesday but not today — Reps. Vern Buchanan (Fla.), Drew Ferguson (Ga.), Mariannette Miller-Meeks (Iowa) and Pete Stauber (Minn.) — don’t fall into the categories that many of the previous Jordan holdouts do.
All four voted to certify President Biden as the winner of the 2020 election.
That’s significant because two-thirds of Republicans in the House at the time did not.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
So correct me if I'm wrong, but he managed to flip 2 votes to support him only to loose the support of 4 others resulting an a next change of -2? Yeah, he should probably give up now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There could be one more vote. After that, it just a matter of what the Democrats will insist on to allow the temporary speaker to have more power, including the responsibility to call for votes.

It is as easy as an enforceable agreement to take votes within a week on anything passed in the Senate with 60 votes.

A shutdown would then be averted since the Senate will have little trouble on agreeing on another compromise.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
More quotes from Republicans who voted against Jordan (...noting the pressure tactics didn't work):

Rep. Jen A. Kiggans (R-Va.) twice voted against Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) by voting for the last speaker, Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.).
Kiggans, a former helicopter pilot in the Navy, wrote on social media that “threats and intimidation tactics will not change my principles and values,” alluding to the pressure that Jordan and his allies have put on holdouts.

Rep. Steve Womack (R-Ark.) said that opposition to Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) is “profound” and that the members who are against him do not want anything but rather are against him in principle. He says Jordan’s tactics, which some have called “House of Cards,” are more “House of Shards.”
“All I can tell you is that the tactics that they have employed against me, the publishing of my office phone number, and the messages, whether it’s conservative media or anybody else, this is all a result of going after people who do not basically represent the viewpoint of a whole lot of hardcore right-wing conservatives.”
He said his staff has been “cussed out, they’ve been threatened … it’s been nonstop. Most of them are out-of-state calls.”

Rep. Kay Granger (R-Tex.) twice voted for Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) to become speaker, even though he is not actively seeking the job. She said Scalise was “an honorable man,” and she voted her conscious.
She added, “Intimidation and threats will not change my position,” alluding to the pressure tactics reportedly employed by Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) and his allies.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

The latest on the House speaker race

Multiple GOP sources say that Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan is quickly losing votes and is poised to lose even more Republican support if he goes through with a third ballot Thursday for his House speakership bid. One Republican opponent says there are about 30 GOP "no" votes today.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

The latest on the House speaker race

Multiple GOP sources say that Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan is quickly losing votes and is poised to lose even more Republican support if he goes through with a third ballot Thursday for his House speakership bid. One Republican opponent says there are about 30 GOP "no" votes today.
He'd better buy some more burner phones so they can threaten more spouses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Green Sun

Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟45,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Washington Post is reporting that Jim Jordan is bowing out of a third round of voting.

Jordan won’t seek third speaker vote, allowing House to empower interim speaker

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) won’t pursue a third vote for speaker as the House looks to empower the legislative powers of Speaker Pro Tempore Patrick T. McHenry (R-N.C.), according to people familiar with the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity to detail private discussions.

After two failed votes, Republicans had made clear the conservative firebrand didn’t have enough support to win the speaker’s gavel. With House functions at a standstill, lawmakers will now move forward with a proposal to expand the powers of the acting speaker.

Jordan is dropping his bid for the time being, but remains the speaker designee and will reserve the option to hold a speaker vote at any time.

Senior Democrats support the plan. It reopens the House as a new funding deadline approaches in less than a month. And with Jordan as the speaker designee, they are still able to frame Republicans as extremists backing an election denier as their leader.

McHenry has served in the role since Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) was ousted on Oct. 3.

Upvote 0

Green Sun

Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟45,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It might be worth exploring McHenry as Speaker officially. I don't know much about him, but he's not the firebrand that Jordan is, so he'll probably be acceptable to many Democrats.
I don't think it makes sense for Democrats to vote for a Republican "Real" Speaker. Empowering the Pro Tempore to avoid the shutdown is one thing, but if Republicans don't want to support Jefferies, then they're on their own.

Politically, there's no reason to throw water on your opponents as they light themselves on fire, and Republicans have refused to work with the Democrats in the house, so it would be a bad move for Democrats to help Republicans to just get spit in their face again.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I don't think it makes sense for Democrats to vote for a Republican "Real" Speaker. Empowering the Pro Tempore to avoid the shutdown is one thing, but if Republicans don't want to support Jefferies, then they're on their own.

Politically, there's no reason to throw water on your opponents as they light themselves on fire, and Republicans have refused to work with the Democrats in the house, so it would be a bad move for Democrats to help Republicans to just get spit in their face again.
All true, but America's business is being held up and they need to get to work.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Green Sun
Upvote 0