Trump Endorses Jim Jordan for Speaker (Scalise gets conference nod, but withdraws!)

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Donald Trump has endorsed staunch conservative Congressman Jim Jordan's bid to become the next Speaker of the House of Representatives.
"He will be a GREAT Speaker of the House," Mr Trump said on Friday. "[He] has my complete & total endorsement!"

But he could struggle to win the the support of centrist Republicans and, if he needs Democratic support, he will likely receive none. Candidates need a simple majority of 218 votes to secure the position.

[It will be interesting to see what Trump's influence will do. Without the endorsement, I doubt Jordan could get more than 50 votes on a first ballot. The House Freedom Caucus and a few random toadies.]

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
He better cozy up to Gates first.
FTA: His bid has already received the backing of several prominent conservatives, with Matt Gaetz - the rebel who led the coup against Mr McCarthy - writing: "My mentor Jim Jordan would be great!"

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Donald Trump has endorsed staunch conservative Congressman Jim Jordan's bid to become the next Speaker of the House of Representatives.
"He will be a GREAT Speaker of the House," Mr Trump said on Friday. "[He] has my complete & total endorsement!"

But he could struggle to win the the support of centrist Republicans and, if he needs Democratic support, he will likely receive none. Candidates need a simple majority of 218 votes to secure the position.

[It will be interesting to see what Trump's influence will do. Without the endorsement, I doubt Jordan could get more than 50 votes on a first ballot. The House Freedom Caucus and a few random toadies.]
Well, in fairness, when the party is dependent on hypocrisy, a willingness to about-face on policy on a whim, turn a blind eye to corruption, immorality and ethics and to be grounded in an unwavering support for the defacto leader - I can't think of a more probable candidate.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, in fairness, when the party is dependent on hypocrisy, a willingness to about-face on policy on a whim, turn a blind eye to corruption, immorality and ethics and to be grounded in an unwavering support for the defacto leader - I can't think of a more probable candidate.
Do you know how he compares to Scalise? I think Jordon would be the bigger train wreck.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Do you know how he compares to Scalise? I think Jordon would be the bigger train wreck.
Jordan clearly has the leg up on turning a blind eye.. he has experience from Ohio State.
I'm not certain about Scalise's history in that qualification

• Useful
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the Hill:

theHill said:
Two powerhouses in the GOP conference — House Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) and House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) — are jockeying for the top spot in the chamber, reaching out to different coalitions within the party to secure support for the gavel. Rep. Kevin Hern (R-Okla.), the chairman of the Republican Study Committee, is also mulling a run for Speaker.

All three contenders bring a different flair to the table.

Scalise is a leadership veteran, having served in the highest echelons of the House since 2014; Jordan is the founding chairman of the influential conservative House Freedom Caucus and holds the gavel for the powerful House Judiciary Committee; and Hern, a newcomer relative to the other two, leads the largest GOP group in the chamber.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Scalise is much better in all ways except being able to get the support of Trump, Gaetz and the vast majority of the Republicans.

• Agree
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Scalise is much better in all ways except being able to get the support of Trump, Gaetz and the vast majority of the Republicans.
I predict Scalise will garner more votes on the first ballot than Jordan, if it comes to rounds of voting. (It's looking more like the GOP wants to hash things out privately behind the scenes, so they don't have the embarrassment of multiple public votes again.)

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Another endorsement of note.

1696790792273.png

On the plus side, no one can complain if the Speaker is described as illegitimate.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The Speaker fiasco is a security concern, when the 2nd in line, is potentially unavailable,. "It is also not clear whether Mr. McHenry would be considered second in the presidential line of succession — behind the vice president — as the elected speaker of the House is. Experts said they did not believe that applied to an acting speaker." What Can Patrick McHenry, the Interim Speaker, Do? I hope they quit fighting and select someone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The Speaker fiasco is a security concern, when the 2nd in line, is potentially unavailable,. "It is also not clear whether Mr. McHenry would be considered second in the presidential line of succession — behind the vice president — as the elected speaker of the House is. Experts said they did not believe that applied to an acting speaker." What Can Patrick McHenry, the Interim Speaker, Do? I hope they quit fighting and select someone.
I'm not really seeing it as a security concern. The chances of losing both the President and the VP at the same time are pretty slim.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not really seeing it as a security concern. The chances of losing both the President and the VP at the same time are pretty slim.
But think of the movie rights for the guy who “pulls it off”!

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I predict Scalise will garner more votes on the first ballot than Jordan, if it comes to rounds of voting. (It's looking more like the GOP wants to hash things out privately behind the scenes, so they don't have the embarrassment of multiple public votes again.)
Scalise agrees. (the House GOP is having that closed door meeting, but reporters are inside.)

Jordan and Scalise allies divided over key change to speaker nomination process

The proposal, drafted by Rep. Chip Roy, would require a lawmaker to secure a majority of the entire House — not just a majority of their conference — to secure the party’s nomination for speaker, a key change intended to ensure the nominee has the necessary support before moving to a floor vote.

Jordan and many of his allies are backing the proposal, which is expected to be discussed at tonight’s closed-door conference meeting.

“I think it’s real important that we go to the floor with 217 votes, 218 votes,” Jordan told CNN.

But Scalise allies, who believe the Louisiana Republican can secure a majority of the conference but acknowledge he won’t get 217 votes on the first ballot, are against the move.

--other tidbits from CNN's livestream

Pressure to fill House speaker vacancy intensifies as crisis unfolds in Israel​

Yay, we shut down one arm of government. Oh no, we can't do anything.

House members are drafting a pro-Israel resolution — but can't move until new speaker elected, source says​

Not even a resolution that today is Tahini Appreciation Day!

House Republicans who voted to remove McCarthy say they will not back down if he runs again​

If they stick to that, it definitely prevents McCarthy from becoming Speaker again (which I expect would be the easiest path for the GOP). If this goes on much longer, and it's clear that Scalise and Jordan aren't ever going to get near 200, that might be the time for the GOP to start expelling those 8 members. That'd be something to see, essentialsaltes said, salivating in an unseemly manner.

GOP Rep. Darrell Issa backs Jim Jordan for speakership​

McCarthy, so far, is still absent from tonight's House GOP meeting​

'Go on, knuckleheads, let's see you fix this. I'm not helping til you come and beg me.'

Reactions: MotoToTheMax
Upvote 0