• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Trouble Discerning God's Will vs. My OCD

Harvest Eve

Feb 25, 2020
New York
✟8,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all, I'm new here, it's very nice to meet you all. I think I should preface my post by saying I'm not technically a Christian, but I'm trying to explore the faith. Unfortunately, however, much of my experience so far has been centered around my OCD.

Recently, I've been struggling with an obsession that has upset me for almost a year now. Up until now, I've played a certain video game that has given me a sense of identity and purpose in my life. However, a year ago, when I was praying to God, a random voice popped into my head, saying, "If I play this character in the video game, then my little brother was going to die." Since it occurred during prayer, I was almost certain God was talking to me.

As such, I wanted God to show me it was really him. That night, I prayed to Him to make it rain tomorrow if the voice I heard in my head was really His will. That morning, it did. I think part of me was reluctant to accept this as fact, so I did so two more times, and both times, it rained. Part of me thinks this is a coincidence, but the other part of me thinks that God just proved himself three times over. I haven't touched that game since.

The funny thing is, after leaving that game, I realized that my life had turned around quite a bit. Although I began to realize that I was lacking a sense of purpose, identity, and joy in the real life, leaving the game made me very depressed as well, since I didn't experience those things in the real world.

Since then, I've decided that I want to try to incorporate a healthy balance between the real world with love for the video game, since I realize it's a bit hard to do one without the other. However, the thing holding me back is worrying if God will really let my brother die if I play this video game. Most of me really thinks that the thought in my head is really his will.

The people I've talked to suggested I look towards scripture for guidance. But I'm not really sure where to begin. If anything, I feel like some parts of the scripture have sections where God provides a dire consequence for an individual, then sends signs confirming his will (think of Pharaoh).

I would really appreciate it if Christians who are more experienced with the Scripture let me know if they think this is God's will or my OCD messing me up. I would also really appreciate it if you could find certain Bible passages that support your claim. Thank you in advance, Amen!

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi all, I'm new here, it's very nice to meet you all. I think I should preface my post by saying I'm not technically a Christian, but I'm trying to explore the faith. Unfortunately, however, much of my experience so far has been centered around my OCD.

Recently, I've been struggling with an obsession that has upset me for almost a year now. Up until now, I've played a certain video game that has given me a sense of identity and purpose in my life. However, a year ago, when I was praying to God, a random voice popped into my head, saying, "If I play this character in the video game, then my little brother was going to die." Since it occurred during prayer, I was almost certain God was talking to me.

As such, I wanted God to show me it was really him. That night, I prayed to Him to make it rain tomorrow if the voice I heard in my head was really His will. That morning, it did. I think part of me was reluctant to accept this as fact, so I did so two more times, and both times, it rained. Part of me thinks this is a coincidence, but the other part of me thinks that God just proved himself three times over. I haven't touched that game since.

The funny thing is, after leaving that game, I realized that my life had turned around quite a bit. Although I began to realize that I was lacking a sense of purpose, identity, and joy in the real life, leaving the game made me very depressed as well, since I didn't experience those things in the real world.

Since then, I've decided that I want to try to incorporate a healthy balance between the real world with love for the video game, since I realize it's a bit hard to do one without the other. However, the thing holding me back is worrying if God will really let my brother die if I play this video game. Most of me really thinks that the thought in my head is really his will.

The people I've talked to suggested I look towards scripture for guidance. But I'm not really sure where to begin. If anything, I feel like some parts of the scripture have sections where God provides a dire consequence for an individual, then sends signs confirming his will (think of Pharaoh).

I would really appreciate it if Christians who are more experienced with the Scripture let me know if they think this is God's will or my OCD messing me up. I would also really appreciate it if you could find certain Bible passages that support your claim. Thank you in advance, Amen!

A good place to start is learning about the love of God.

What Does the Bible Say About God Loves Me?

God reveals Himself through His Word (the Holy Bible) not through video games.

Upvote 0

Harvest Eve

Feb 25, 2020
New York
✟8,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So are you saying I should not be worried about these signs?

Yes ... that is correct.

If IF some kind of a "sign" or premonition should come to mind ... one should not assume it is/was from the Lord. ... if it's outside of His love ... it's not from Him. Learn about His love.

May the Lord Bless you as you study about His love. Amen.

Reactions: Tania11
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

This sounds VERY typical for OCD! The fear of not being able to do something you want to do or something bad will happen to someone else is a common obsession, as is thinking one receives "signs" about your fears. Do you have OCD in other areas of your life? Have you been able to get any help/therapy for it? Also, I find it interesting that you say you're not a Christian, but your post is filled with a concern about doing God's will. Is it just your OCD that's making you think you're not a Christian?

I've had OCD since I was a child, so I'd be glad to share more experiences/advice, and/or links to good websites if you'd like!

Upvote 0