Tricks New Atheists and Theists Play (Part 1)

Can you prove a negative claim?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps, but since Paul argues with the gentile philosophers of his day in Ephesus and Athens, for a period of years in the former case, it boggles the mind that any person reading Acts 13-19 would not duplicate Paul's method.
What was Paul's method precisely, Uber? An insistent by him to use The Outsider Test for Faith? ^_^

Further the Christians took over the field of philosophy by the second century and maintained it in Europe until the enlightenment. Perhaps one could throw in the Islamic scholars from 1000-1400 but with such a rich history of rationally arguing from non-biblical premises to theistic conclusions, well it is frustrating.
While philosophy is helpful to some extent, it and various forms of human rationality are not enough to take one to 'faith' in Jesus Christ all by themselves.

One wants to quote Santayana here.
...oh, which book and quote?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
thanks for your reply

i should clarify... The Israelites appear to have had PAGAN preferences & proclivities

they apparently attributed the Exodus miracles to pagan Canaanite gods with Aaron's golden calf idols

modern Atheists say they reject all supernatural claims

if so, they are only similar to Israelites in rejecting YHWH as the source of the Exodus miracles...
  • the Israelites were led to believe that Canaanite national deities wrought them, the truth of which is observable in Israel being conquered while so believing and worshipping
  • atheists deny anything miraculous happened at all (i guess because nothing so grandiose & spectacular has happened recently near them)

superficially, the only overlap is rejecting that miraculous events occurred... Because of YHWH, God the father in heaven

As you responded concerning the Old Testament situation, I know the post you responded to was long, but did you get to the 2nd half where it begins:

"Yet...even with Christ Himself in person right in front of the eyes of His own followers...."

Because that's the part that led me mostly to the conclusion, and the Old Testament example was only a place where I first had the thought so strongly, but in the New Testament case, as you can see in my post, Christ's own disciples were the instance. That's what led me to the central conclusion about hard heartedness -- which is from Christ's own words -- see. (if you click the up arrow in the quoted posts, after a few clicks, you'll quickly back up to that post, #119)

• Friendly
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0