United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The title above is a Halle Berry line off a movie called, "The Program."

One of my continuing frustrations on most forums these days is running into individuals who pretend to have done their homework but haven't. In fact within a few seconds of reading a post it is clear that they haven't even done a 30-second Google search on the topic of which they are pontificating.

Method for Pretending to Be Smart:

Questioning ad nauseam

Don't do research just repeat back you objector's question and put a "What causes that," in front of it. Trick is you don't have to know anything and can produce an infinite amount of questions pretending to be engaged intellectually (especially effective with complex inferences such as philosophical arguments, or historical sciences). Further you can avoid justifying truth claims by pretending you don't have to justify you own claims. (Young Earth creationist and just about every atheist (sorry I meant to say "seeker") on this forum use this method.

Create and then attack straw men

This method is so simple (pronounced in a thick New Jersey accent). Just misrepresent the particular inference such as "Faith is believing something for which there is no evidence." Next attack the ridiculousness of the statement (remember you must pretend that it actually is a fair representation...not your own absurd definition) for more: read any New Atheist publication.

Anachronistic fallacy (wait what?) (no, wait when!)

Slavery is bad. The bible condones slavery. The Bible is bad.

Here we just pretend that values we hold for the last few decades in the west are ubiquitous across all culture and all times. Again, I have yet to see a New Atheist that doesn't return over and over to this method. Don't worry few people have ever heard of the anachronistic fallacy so you can use it on theists with impunity.

How to avoid pretense and actually learn something.

1 - Research the topic
Use respected sources (not wiki crowd sourced research
which can be at times excellent at at other times complete
propaganda)

Peer-reviewed literature in journals specializing in a
particular body of knowledge. "Science News" as opposed
to "Scientific American"

For philosophical topics try Plato.org or internet
encyclopedia of philosophy.

2 - Represent the topic and particular problem and give reasons why you pick one inference over the next. No shifting burden of proof. If you claim no knowledge (agnostic) then fine, but if you claim that a particular inference is true in the real external world be prepared to defend it with reasons and evidence. (Atheists often fall into this fallacy regarding God's existence, theists also make a similar mistake when they refuse to give reasons for God's existence (claiming their faith is superior because they don't have reasons (I will do an entire post on this foolishness).

Example:

Universe appears fine-tuned for life.

The cause is:

Chance, or a result of the physical laws, or design.

An educated person would represent the best evidence for all 3 inferences. Then give reasons such as explanatory power why one inference is better than the next.

I hope I have offended those who are intellectually lazy and just pretend to be smart. I have included an IQ test hidden in this post and will reveal it once I get some comments.

Last edited:

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,465.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I don't see anything to comment on.

Guess that means I either failed or passed the test.

Also, you don't have to say seeker. Not every atheist seeks new insights about religion or a diety, some are quite comfortable being an atheist. And it's not a dirty word.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The title above is a Halle Berry line off a move called, "The Program."

One of my continuing frustrations on most forums these days is running into individuals who pretend to have done their homework but haven't. In fact within a few seconds of reading a post it is clear that they haven't even done a 30-second Google search on the topic of which they are pontificating.

Method for Pretending to Be Smart:

Questioning ad nauseam

Don't do research just repeat back you objector's question and put a "What causes that," in front of it. Trick is you don't have to know anything and can produce an infinite amount of questions pretending to be engaged intellectually (especially effective with complex inferences such as philosophical arguments, or historical sciences). Further you can avoid justifying truth claims by pretending you don't have to justify you own claims. (Young Earth creationist and just about every atheist (sorry I meant to say "seeker") on this forum use this method.

Create and then attack straw men

This method is so simple (pronounced in a thick New Jersey accent). Just misrepresent the particular inference such as "Faith is believing something for which there is no evidence." Next attack the ridiculousness of the statement (remember you must pretend that it actually is a fair representation...not your own absurd definition) for more: read any New Atheist publication.

Anachronistic fallacy (wait what?) (no, wait when!)

Slavery is bad. The bible condones slavery. The Bible is bad.

Here we just pretend that values we hold for the last few decades in the west are ubiquitous across all culture and all times. Again, I have yet to see a New Atheist that doesn't return over and over to this method. Don't worry few people have ever heard of the anachronistic fallacy so you can use it on theists with impunity.

How to avoid pretense and actually learn something.

1 - Research the topic
Use respected sources (not wiki crowd sourced research
which can be at times excellent at at other times complete
propaganda)

to "Scientific American"

For philosophical topics try Plato.org or internet
encyclopedia of philosophy.

2 - Represent the topic and particular problem and give reasons why you pick one inference over the next. No shifting burden of proof. If you claim no knowledge (agnostic) then fine, but if you claim that a particular inference is true in the real external world be prepared to defend it with reasons and evidence. (Atheists often fall into this fallacy regarding God's existence, theists also make a similar mistake when they refuse to give reasons for God's existence (claiming their faith is superior because they don't have reasons (I will do an entire post on this foolishness).

Example:

Universe appears fine-tuned for life.

The cause is:

Chance, or a result of the physical laws, or design.

An educated person would represent the best evidence for all 3 inferences. Then give reasons such as explanatory power why one inference is better than the next.

I hope I have offended those who are intellectually lazy and just pretend to be smart. I have included an IQ test hidden in this post and will reveal it once I get some comments.

Not interested at all.

Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
The title above is a Halle Berry line off a move called, "The Program."
Since you had to pull your thread title from a movie, and couldn't come up with one yourself, can we assume that you are also just pretending to be smart?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,465.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Socrates was the wisest man in Greece, since he was the only man that knew he knew nothing.
I doesn't take a lot to think up a cute soundbyte.

And wisdom is a hazy concept and different from intelligence, anyway.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Agreed, but it isn't mine. This is what the Pythia at Delphi supposedly said about him. I just thought it applicable to the OP's frustrations.
Agreed. Intelligence is just as hazy though.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
to "Scientific American"
"Science News" is not a peer-reviewed journal.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Science News" is not a peer-reviewed journal.
"Science News is an American bi-weekly magazine devoted to short articles about new scientific and technical developments, typically gleaned from recent scientific and technical journals."

The "Recent Scientific Technical Journals," are peer-reviewed!

Did you miss my point on quality of research, because you clearly missed the point about straw men. Thanks for you exempli gratia on extending a point to the rediculous and then attacking your own extension. I couldn't have done better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Since you had to pull your thread title from a movie, and couldn't come up with one yourself, can we assume that you are also just pretending to be smart?
Congratulations you just equivocated an example with lack of creativity. Nicely done. Thanks for your pretense.

Reactions: Dirk1540
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

But my post was about education, not wisdom or intelligence.

My thesis is that all can educate themselves and that lack of formal training in no way needs to limit one's ability to engage topic intelligently.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Bound the topic and be specific.

E.G. The Copenhagen inference best explains the data of the double slit experiment in quantum mechanics.

Give reasons supported by research.

Engage other inferences fairly and accurately.

Be humble about the limits of knowledge.

Almost all knowledge progresses over time, including knowledge about math and knowledge about God and his work in creation. Don't over-represent what is currently known due to gaps of explanatory power.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ideally, each poster would have carefully crafted arguments for each post. This is an Internet forum though, not an academic symposium.
Thanks for the textbook example of an either/or fallacy!

Actually we are not caught on the horns of a dilemma. Your false dilemma can be solved by a third option. Namely, when making knowledge claims as opposed to giving opinions, justify those claims with research and a sound method.

If this forum was devoid of knowledge claims you would have a fair point. But it would be hard to justify that premise given the most rudimentary examination of any apologetics threads or Christian theology threads or philosophy threads.

Reactions: Dirk1540
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So far I've encountered insouciance, a strawman fallacy, equivocation, non-sequitur, and a false dilemma. Inauspicious. But no one has failed the IQ test yet. That is something I guess. Historically atheists (sorry, I mean "Seekers") are over-represented as a class in the "Pretending to be Smart" category. Surprised they haven't chimed in here.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,465.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
But my post was about education, not wisdom or intelligence.

My thesis is that all can educate themselves and that lack of formal training in no way needs to limit one's ability to engage topic intelligently.
Wasn't replying to your post.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,465.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
So far I've encountered insouciance, a strawman fallacy, equivocation, non-sequitur, and a false dilemma. Inauspicious. But no one has failed the IQ test yet. That is something I guess. Historically atheists (sorry, I mean "Seekers") are over-represented as a class in the "Pretending to be Smart" category. Surprised they haven't chimed in here.
What is it with this "Atheist (sorry, I mean 'seekers')" routine you have going?

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the textbook example of an either/or fallacy!

Actually we are not caught on the horns of a dilemma. Your false dilemma can be solved by a third option. Namely, when making knowledge claims as opposed to giving opinions, justify those claims with research and a sound method.

If this forum was devoid of knowledge claims you would have a fair point. But it would be hard to justify that premise given the most rudimentary examination of any apologetics threads or Christian theology threads or philosophy threads.
Opinions are knowledge claims. They are based on knowledge.

Upvote 0