Formerly Dracon427
Feb 15, 2004
Olympia, Washington
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Everyone with a job is a representative of his or her company...thats alot of people.

And why only transgender, why not have classes for women, men, blacks, whites,, yellows and reds, children with diseases, children without diseases.

No I dont think that it is a plausible idea, people will always be people.

I do understand what you are saying though.
They do. Most places (at least here in the US) have a training that they make you do on how to be polite to people who are different. These trainings do exist, but I just wasn't talking about them because they weren't the issue at hand.

Upvote 0

sparklecat

Senior Contributor
Nov 29, 2003
✟10,001.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
And women wouldn't have to wait twice as long in line.

I really don't thnk a girl should be embarrassed by needing a tampon, or that it's shameful for a woman to breastfeed in front of a man. I hope that one day our society realizes these are perfectly natural biological functions.

I agree, for most cases. But (and this is for seebs as well) what about, for example, the girl who has been sexually assaulted, is absolutely terrified of being alone with men, and goes in to find she and one man are the only ones in the room? It's unlikely anything would happen, yes, and perhaps it isn't the best idea to base policy on protecting a minority from possible fear, but I can't help but think of those sorts of situations where it goes beyond discomfort society will get over in time.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree, for most cases. But (and this is for seebs as well) what about, for example, the girl who has been sexually assaulted, is absolutely terrified of being alone with men, and goes in to find she and one man are the only ones in the room? It's unlikely anything would happen, yes, and perhaps it isn't the best idea to base policy on protecting a minority from possible fear, but I can't help but think of those sorts of situations where it goes beyond discomfort society will get over in time.

What about a boy who has been molested and is terrified of men?

Maybe we just need more small restrooms.

Upvote 0

sparklecat

Senior Contributor
Nov 29, 2003
✟10,001.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Fair enough. As I said, or at least somewhat implied, it's rather impractical. I don't really have a solution, I just like worrying needlessly, apparently :D

Upvote 0

TheMissus

It's as easy as you make it.
Jul 27, 2006
Ohio
✟17,439.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Logically, people shouldn't be bothered by who's watching them breastfeed, use a tampon dispenser, or listening to them pee. However, people are bothered by it. To claim that logic should prevail goes so far against cultural norms that the claim becomes nothing more than "shoulda, woulda, coulda." It means nothing when it has no practical application to reality.

Upvote 0

RavenPoe

A soul in tension thats learning to fly
Sep 24, 2006
New Jersey
Visit site
✟11,709.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
People react based on what society considers normal. If girls are taught they must hide their time of the month, they will be embarrassed by it. It's like there's something "wrong" about being a woman. I don't think that and while I don't go forcing it on people, I refuse to be embarrassed by it either and I hope more people slowly loosen up.

Upvote 0

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

While I agree that having more toilet-and-sink doored stalls would be great, it ain't gonna happen.

We've been raised in a society that places importance on privacy while doing one's business in a washroom.

Strange but true: I have no problem changing down to a boyshorts and a longline bra (or bodysuit) in a unisex changeroom... but I feel wierd going into a stall knowing there's a guy beside me... and yet, I've watched the famed flatulance scene in Blazing Saddles about a dozen times. It's illogical and silly, but that's the way I am.

Everyone has sensitivities and idiocicracies, and a common one is preferring to use single-gender washrooms when they washrooms are large with only stall or stalls with urinals.

Like it or not, washrooms in schools or workplaces are often the only private place to talk... and sometimes you just need to talk alone.

The world of the women's washroom is one that is mysterious for men. Women get changed in there, put on makeup, talk, etc... and do basically do things that women feel men may leer at.

So, sure, if all washrooms could have large, more private stalls, I'm sure that unisex washrooms could have a chance. But right now, washrooms are made cheaply and with minimum privacy. Either society needs a major shift, or washrooms do, or we just have to keep having men's and women's washrooms.

Or, we could have men's washrooms, women's washrooms, and "who care's" washrooms. I'm sure these would reduce the lines at theatre and arenas, and meet the needs of most people.

As for women having to breastfeed in washrooms... I think it a disgrace! It is a shame on society that women must feed children in washrooms. Would it really be that hard for malls, stores, diners, resaurants, cafes, etc, to have have couches or tables that are little more private, perhaps in the corner, for women who want to breastfeed without leering, but without being in washrooms? I mean, most every mall I know of has a quiet corner that would be perfect for a few couches and plants for women to breastfeed in. Same with cafes, diners, and resaurants!

Upvote 0

RavenPoe

A soul in tension thats learning to fly
Sep 24, 2006
New Jersey
Visit site
✟11,709.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
How comfortable I feel changing or "doing my business" somewhere all depends on the environment. I will get nearly naked in one unisex environment because I know the attitudes of most of the people there, but in another environment where most people are strangers I feel uncomfy stripping anything at all.

Upvote 0

HeavenzAngel

Far Away
Sep 30, 2006
✟2,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It doesn't bother me at all, I see transgender as people, I really don't mind sharing a public restroom with them, aslong as they keep it clean, I can't stand using a dirty bathroom, its like gross. I try to never use a public bathroom if I can help it, I had many nasty experiences. 0___O, one time I was at a theme park and it was so crowded I hate to use the man's restroom, it was gross experience, it wasn't clean at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am all for recognition that people just want some kind of privacy.

However, I don't see how I have any more privacy with one sort of person in the room than another. All y'all that aren't married to me are spooky.

Upvote 0

MooTipping

Oct 26, 2004
Northfield, Minnesota
Visit site
✟15,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Wow, that's amazing. FTM and MTF should be totally allowed to use the restroom they feel comfortable using. "If you have a problem using the same rest room as a MTF, then GO FIND ANOTHER RESTROOM".

Reactions: *Starlight*
Upvote 0