California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
What that Scripture means, though, is what's debated. It doesn't say All Scripture alone is given...is profitable...
You must also realize that "scripture" had not yet been determined, even by the Jews.

"They will convince their followers that "the man of God" spoken of is, surely, not all believers in Messiah, but only a special class of them who have been ordained to instruct the ignorant masses."

Who gets to decide that? The one like this:

2 Timothy 2:15
"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

And this:

1 John 2:27
"But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."

And This:

Matthew 23:10
"Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah."

?

Colossians 1:18
"And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence."

Is Scripture the Word of YHWH?

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
looking for something that shows you know the Bible's early history, because that's what provides the text it's context. that's not the same as simply thanking those that brought the Bible to you, especially if you are not reading it like they did.

How much farther back do you want to go...I already gave Genesis 1:1...

Maybe you should present your tradition on the subject and then we can go from there?

What's the context of Genesis 1:1?

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Isnt that what a debate thread is about... to judge if the data is Truth or not?
Maybe for you. I have no question whether our Tradition is Truth.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
"They will convince their followers that "the man of God" spoken of is, surely, not all believers in Messiah, but only a special class of them who have been ordained to instruct the ignorant masses."

Who gets to decide that? The one like this:

2 Timothy 2:15
"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

And this:

1 John 2:27
"But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."

And This:

Matthew 23:10
"Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah."

?

Colossians 1:18
"And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence."

Is Scripture the Word of YHWH?
Yes, but it is not the ONLY Word of God.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How much farther back do you want to go...I already gave Genesis 1:1...

Maybe you should present your tradition on the subject and then we can go from there?

What's the context of Genesis 1:1?

no. that's not what we are talking about. I said the history of the Bible coming together, not its textual internal chronology.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
no. that's not what we are talking about. I said the history of the Bible coming together, not its textual internal chronology.

You cannot talk about the history of the Bible coming together without it.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Maybe for you. I have no question whether our Tradition is Truth.

So you are saying you are closing your mind willfully and dogmatically to the idea that you could possibly be off center?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You cannot talk about the history of the Bible coming together without it.

yeah you can. it's a simple question, I am asking if you know anything about how the Bible was put together. as in, the process God used.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
yeah you can. it's a simple question, I am asking if you know anything about how the Bible was put together. as in, the process God used.

Yes, 2 Peter 1:21:

"For no prophecy was ever brought forth by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
  • Agree
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, 2 Peter 1:21:

"For no prophecy was ever brought forth by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."

agreed, but you are still not answering my question. how did God bring the Scriptures together?

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
My initial point, as given in my posts #s 16 and 19, is that the Messiah was refuting the traditions of men that set themselves above the Scriptures (the Word, the Law of Elohim) as in:

Matthew 15:9
"But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

Which, at that time was Rabbinic Judaism with their "Oral Torah".
Oral Torah - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
agreed, but you are still not answering my question. how did God bring the Scriptures together?

Which particular aspect of this vast subject are you asking about. Is there a certain point in time you have in mind?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Which particular aspect of this vast subject are you asking about. Is there a certain point in time you have in mind?

the Christian Scripture. what is the history of the text we know as the Christian Scripture in how it was compiled.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My initial point, as given in my posts #s 16 and 19, is that the Messiah was refuting the traditions of men that set themselves above the Scriptures (the Word, the Law of Elohim) as in:

Matthew 15:9
"But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

Which, at that time was Rabbinic Judaism with their "Oral Torah".
Oral Torah - Wikipedia

yeah, that's not what I asked. if you don't get the historic context, you might be following a tradition of man and not know it. this is why I am asking you the history of the Scripture's compilation.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
the Christian Scripture. what is the history of the text we know as the Christian Scripture in how it was compiled.

Let me ask you a question. Did Scripture exist prior to the "Bible"?

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
yeah, that's not what I asked.

But what are your thoughts on it?

if you don't get the historic context, you might be following a tradition of man and not know it. this is why I am asking you the history of the Scripture's compilation.

I suppose...he wouldn't be the first...and he's definitely not the last...and we may all be guilty of the same insomuch as we deviate from all Scripture.

I agree, which is why I said that awhile back...speaking of Arius..."context is King" in Biblical exegesis, so I was told.

• Haha
Reactions: nutroll
Upvote 0