Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"Using this template {{small capitals for the Hebrew name for God (the Tetragrammaton, יהוה), transliterated as YHWH) or Jehovah (English pronunciation), as it is translated in the King James Bible and other English Bibles: the LORD. This name is a rendering of the distinctive personal name of the God of Israel.

The all caps or small caps writing differentiate this from "Lord" in normal type, which is the standard translation for the Hebrew epithet אדני (transliterated Adonai), meaning "Lord". "
Template:LORD - Wikipedia

*And doesn't this subtopic of the Name sum this whole discussion up in a nutshell, so to speak? Contrasting the Design of Elohim with the designs of men.

gotta love using Wikipedia as a resource.

that being said, this very reference you make speaks of the translation of the King James Bible, which was not the Bible of the Apostles.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

that being said, this very reference you make speaks of the translation of the King James Bible, which was not the Bible of the Apostles.

You're right, theirs had it in Hebrew.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Why not...oh, because they don't honor your tradition...

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why not...oh, because they don't honor your tradition...

no, because it's not good research. and the Apostles didn't write in King James English. honoring my tradition has nothing to do with that.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
no, because it's not good research. and the Apostles didn't write in King James English. honoring my tradition has nothing to do with that.

It was/is Rabbinic tradition to use haShem, which your tradition, pretty much, honors by not using YHWH.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It was/is Rabbinic tradition to use haShem, which your tradition, pretty much, honors by not using YHWH.

you don't know that much about us. we do use YHWH.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know, just like Jesus does not translate to Yahshua.

Jesus is just a linguistic difference. it's not a direct translation, just the Greek version of the name. it's not the same difference as between YHWH and Lord or LORD.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,598.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But, you can't tell me you never wanted to do the same...or maybe just tempted a little bit?
Any good that might possibly come out of something I posted would only be by the grace of God. I don't have high expectations of that happening however, as my posts tend to have too much of me in them and not enough of Christ.

• Winner
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Any good that might possibly come out of something I posted would only be by the grace of God. I don't have high expectations of that happening however, as my posts tend to have too much of me in them and not enough of Christ.

"Whenever thou humbleth me, Thou maketh me great."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So for a few weeks now I lay on the floor next to my sons bed to help him sleep. I just read this entire thread over the time I was there.

Wow...

I mean... There has been alot of great stuff said here but other comments...

In anycase, most of Orthodoxy in America is comprised of converts, specifically from Protestantism. Ill just say those of us who are, theres a reason we left.

I can only speak for myself here but tracing Christian history back to its roots there is one church thats stands tall. The one True Church.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So for a few weeks now I lay on the floor next to my sons bed to help him sleep. I just read this entire thread over the time I was there.

Wow...

I mean... There has been alot of great stuff said here but other comments...

In anycase, most of Orthodoxy in America is comprised of converts, specifically from Protestantism. Ill just say those of us who are, theres a reason we left.

I can only speak for myself here but tracing Christian history back to its roots there is one church thats stands tall. The one True Church.

yep, history was what did it for me as well.

Upvote 0