• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Torment

ST673

Sep 11, 2017
Louisiana
✟15,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry to hear that. Your OCD will keep finding ways to trigger your anxiety if it can. Try to ignore it as best you can, and to recognize that the anxiety is from OCD, even if it doesn't feel like it. The quickest way to get OCD to stop bothering you is to not pay any attention to it. I know how hard it can be though!!
you've helped me so much. I'm so thankful for you!

Upvote 0

ST673

Sep 11, 2017
Louisiana
✟15,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know that these thoughts and feelings can be so exhausting but just remember how much God and Jesus Christ love you. My advice would be to just focus on God's goodness and to focus on Jesus Christ and His love for us. God bless you
Thank you! I've read this over and over to help me today..thank you!

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you find that depression comes before and after an OCD attack?
I don't tend to suffer from depression in general, although when I'm working through an obsession sometimes I feel depressed, because I'm just so discouraged. I think some people have both, though, or OCD can bring on depression because it's so intense.

Upvote 0

ST673

Sep 11, 2017
Louisiana
✟15,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't tend to suffer from depression in general, although when I'm working through an obsession sometimes I feel depressed, because I'm just so discouraged. I think some people have both, though, or OCD can bring on depression because it's so intense.
I don't usually either but I noticed something was off with me all summer and then the OCD attack happened. I guess what I'm having now is depression from the OCD.

Upvote 0

ST673

Sep 11, 2017
Louisiana
✟15,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry to hear that. It can be so devastating to have an obsession and feel so hopeless, to feel that there's no source of comfort. Do you feel that you are recovering from the OCD attack, or are you still fighting it?
It's better but I'm still fighting guilt and fear & anxiety thinking what if I'm doing wrong? what if God is angry? Idk if it'll ever completely go away

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gloriousday2006

Jul 8, 2017
Fargo
✟31,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I just want to say that I have been thinking about you and praying for you. I have been exactly where you are, and still am on many days. God will see you through. Stay strong in the Lord and He will see you through. I think this is the toughest challenge I have ever faced, but we can do ALL things through Christ. Hang on, and never give up. God is bigger than all of our FEARS...no matter how persistent they may be.

Upvote 0

ST673

Sep 11, 2017
Louisiana
✟15,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Really awful day when I had been doing better. I just feel like God or Ocd wants me to do something I don't want to do and I feel like the more I think about it the more I see things that relate to it. Back to stomach pains and can't sleep. Back to torment. This is awful. Why is this so awful

Upvote 0

ST673

Sep 11, 2017
Louisiana
✟15,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just want to say that I have been thinking about you and praying for you. I have been exactly where you are, and still am on many days. God will see you through. Stay strong in the Lord and He will see you through. I think this is the toughest challenge I have ever faced, but we can do ALL things through Christ. Hang on, and never give up. God is bigger than all of our FEARS...no matter how persistent they may be.
That's so hard to do when I can't tell the difference between God and OCD. Thank you for thinking of me. I think we randomly posted at the same time.

Upvote 0

gloriousday2006

Jul 8, 2017
Fargo
✟31,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I want you to know that you are not alone. In May mine started. It was so intense that I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, constant panic, severe panic attacks. This lead to severe depersonalization where I felt I was out of my body, and emotion numbing. Through all this I know that God is good. My mind works much like yours...it brings up all of my absolute worst, horrible fears. OCD attacks what we love most. Our relationship with our Savior is the most important thing, so this is where it aims. I have to tell myself each and every day not to go down the rabbit hole with my mind.

We are called to live by faith and trust. This can be so EXTREMELY hard with OCD, but we have to get to a place where we say I trust you God. Any thoughts that go against your will are not something I want or will ever want. I will stand with you forever no matter what I am up against. I believe the key here is trust.

I too have felt all the fear, guilt, condemnation...you are not alone. It helped me so tremendously when I realized I wasn't alone. I want you to understand that I have been there too...very severe OCD. You can OVERCOME ALL things through Christ. Never give up, but keep pushing forward to Jesus.

Remember we can overcome ANY obstacle with Christ.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

John 6:37
All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.

Upvote 0

ST673

Sep 11, 2017
Louisiana
✟15,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want you to know that you are not alone. In May mine started. It was so intense that I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, constant panic, severe panic attacks. This lead to severe depersonalization where I felt I was out of my body, and emotion numbing. Through all this I know that God is good. My mind works much like yours...it brings up all of my absolute worst, horrible fears. OCD attacks what we love most. Our relationship with our Savior is the most important thing, so this is where it aims. I have to tell myself each and every day not to go down the rabbit hole with my mind.

We are called to live by faith and trust. This can be so EXTREMELY hard with OCD, but we have to get to a place where we say I trust you God. Any thoughts that go against your will are not something I want or will ever want. I will stand with you forever no matter what I am up against. I believe the key here is trust.

I too have felt all the fear, guilt, condemnation...you are not alone. It helped me so tremendously when I realized I wasn't alone. I want you to understand that I have been there too...very severe OCD. You can OVERCOME ALL things through Christ. Never give up, but keep pushing forward to Jesus.

Remember we can overcome ANY obstacle with Christ.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

John 6:37
All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.
It's just so difficult when my compulsions are confession/evangelism so anywhere I turn for comfort doesn't give me much because those are essentially good things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's just so difficult when my compulsions are confession/evangelism so anywhere I turn for comfort doesn't give me much because those are essentially good things.
I hear you, because my obsessions usually center around "real" or good/spiritual things too. Actually, that's what my current obsession has been and it has really thrown me for a loop. But, here's what I keep coming back to: If I am feeling this much anxiety, if I am feeling these negative feelings that make me suspect it's OCD, then my brain is distorting the issue in some way. I can't see it right now, because I'm in the middle of an obsession. But it is. Therefore, I have to NOT address the issue at all, hard though it is, until I can see more clearly. I know how tormenting it can feel to "put it off." But, when I have OCD, I will always doubt that my current obsession is OCD. So the key to overcoming an obsession is to treat it like OCD even if we're not sure that it is. That takes a lot of courage and faith, because we're making the decision to ignore the anxiety BEFORE we know that it's OK to. We still feel like we're disobeying God, etc. So what I've been trying to do is to ignore and/or bring every fearful or anxious thought about my current issue to God. To not engage with it at all, to not allow myself to try to figure it out or think about it, but just say, "God, please take care of this/help me to figure it out" and leave it. Oh, it's so hard! My mind wants so badly to figure it out! But I know that the urgency itself comes from OCD. Once the OCD calms down, the whole issue won't seem so scary, and it will be WAY easier to figure it out logically and clearly. There won't be that fear involved. I still may not know exactly what to do, but I won't be scared to think about it or try to figure it out. I hope this helps - keep asking questions or reaching out for encouragement as needed, because I have been (and am in) the same place you are and know exactly how you feel!! (Oh, and I am not completely out of my current obsession yet, but as I've practiced the strategies above I've noticed a huge improvement. There is hope!)

Upvote 0

ST673

Sep 11, 2017
Louisiana
✟15,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hear you, because my obsessions usually center around "real" or good/spiritual things too. Actually, that's what my current obsession has been and it has really thrown me for a loop. But, here's what I keep coming back to: If I am feeling this much anxiety, if I am feeling these negative feelings that make me suspect it's OCD, then my brain is distorting the issue in some way. I can't see it right now, because I'm in the middle of an obsession. But it is. Therefore, I have to NOT address the issue at all, hard though it is, until I can see more clearly. I know how tormenting it can feel to "put it off." But, when I have OCD, I will always doubt that my current obsession is OCD. So the key to overcoming an obsession is to treat it like OCD even if we're not sure that it is. That takes a lot of courage and faith, because we're making the decision to ignore the anxiety BEFORE we know that it's OK to. We still feel like we're disobeying God, etc. So what I've been trying to do is to ignore and/or bring every fearful or anxious thought about my current issue to God. To not engage with it at all, to not allow myself to try to figure it out or think about it, but just say, "God, please take care of this/help me to figure it out" and leave it. Oh, it's so hard! My mind wants so badly to figure it out! But I know that the urgency itself comes from OCD. Once the OCD calms down, the whole issue won't seem so scary, and it will be WAY easier to figure it out logically and clearly. There won't be that fear involved. I still may not know exactly what to do, but I won't be scared to think about it or try to figure it out. I hope this helps - keep asking questions or reaching out for encouragement as needed, because I have been (and am in) the same place you are and know exactly how you feel!! (Oh, and I am not completely out of my current obsession yet, but as I've practiced the strategies above I've noticed a huge improvement. There is hope!)
Thank you....that makes a lot of sense! Seriously don't know what I'd do without you this past week.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you....that makes a lot of sense! Seriously don't know what I'd do without you this past week.
:) I'm happy I can help...it's such a confusing and discouraging disorder but there is so much freedom waiting for us, if only we can learn to grasp it! I am here anytime...feel free to pm me as well if you'd like. With God's help we'll be able to find healing!

Upvote 0

ST673

Sep 11, 2017
Louisiana
✟15,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand you completely friend. Its OCD... I too had thwe same stuff I lost weight, couldnt eat or sleep. Do not end your torment. This illness ebbs and flows. I am finally doing better after 3 months of tormnet, so please know that. If you ever need support or someone to talk to message me. Praying for you ♡
Thank you. I'm reading back through these replies today as I'm struggling with it trying to creep back in.

• Prayers
Reactions: lamb7
Upvote 0