Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And looks (within marriage, I mean). That's why they look better than cow's udders. Although... cows udders don't look terrible. :p

The perception one has of what one finds sexually attractive is not intrinsic to its design.

Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The perception one has of what one finds sexually attractive is not intrinsic to its design.
I didn't say (female) breasts were necessarily sexually attractive, although they can be. I think they are also aesthetically pleasing, without needing to be sexual, as can be observed in art.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't say (female) breasts were necessarily sexually attractive, although they can be. I think they are also aesthetically pleasing, without needing to be sexual, as can be observed in art.

You implied that they were specifically designed for that purpose whether it was simply for aesthetics or for sexual attractiveness. I disagree. They may be either to another person but there is no reason to declare that that was the intention behind the design as there is no evidence that it was.

Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You implied that they were specifically designed for that purpose whether it was simply for aesthetics or for sexual attractiveness. I disagree. They may be either to another person but there is no reason to declare that that was the intention behind the design as there is no evidence that it was.
It's something I believe all people know, both men and women. It's in the bible. I'm not really sure what you are basing your opinion on.

Song of Solomon 7:6 - 8
"How beautiful and pleasant you are,
O loved one, with all your delights!
Your stature is like a palm tree,
and your breasts are like its clusters.
I say I will climb the palm tree
and lay hold of its fruit."

Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Men don't have boobs to make others stare. It would be silly to demand men not go topless, when they have nothing to hide.
As a person heavily involved in fitness (personal trainer for 10 years), I have had a number of women comment on my chest. I don't think this is an accurate comment. However, I do agree I have nothing to hide, its their problem, not mine.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

abandonentropy

There is nothing new under the sun
Mar 9, 2016
Canada
✟56,629.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
But it was once illegal for either sex to go topless. Why legalize it for one sex but not the other?
Well regardless of the legality the only that matters is if it's okay by Christian values. I do see your point though. I'm no expert on this topic but don't breasts also play a sexual role as well? And as far as I know male chests don't. Also men also worked out in the heat and sun, and did manual labor long before women so maybe the legality was changed because of utilitarian reasons since back then women did not do these same jobs. This may be a terrible comparison but in the states circumcision for males is legal right now, while female circumcision is not. That's because they have different bodies and at the end of the day men don't have an area on their chest with sexual significance.

Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do you think if a guy was standing there, that there would have been crashes? No. Why? Because men's chests are different than women's chests.

It's not that men's chests are different from women's chests. It's that men's heads are different from women's heads.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
This Sunday, August 26th, will be Topfree Equality Day. Women and Men will be marching, in many places topfree, to promote equal rights for women, specifically the right to go topfree wherever men can legall do so.

My questions:

1) Should Christian women participate in Topfree Equality Day? If so, why? If not, why not?

2) Should Christian women go topfree on other days in places where men legally do so? Does Scripture prohibit them from doing so?

3) For those who say that women should not go topfree in public, should men be permitted to do so?

I had started a thread on this two years ago and it has occasionally resurfaced. However I know we have some new members and I want them to have a chance to express their views.

Please note, we are not talking about anyone going naked, simply topfree.

Where were they marching? My big worry is that it could cause a distraction to folks who are driving, cause accidents. If they were at places where it's OK for us to be topless, a park, a beach, then OK.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It's something I believe all people know, both men and women. It's in the bible. I'm not really sure what you are basing your opinion on.

Song of Solomon 7:6 - 8
"How beautiful and pleasant you are,
O loved one, with all your delights!
Your stature is like a palm tree,
and your breasts are like its clusters.
I say I will climb the palm tree
and lay hold of its fruit."

And praise the Lord!

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It's not that men's chests are different from women's chests. It's that men's heads are different from women's heads.

And I agree with that claim too. But wager there is a physical difference as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,740.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Creepy? Really?

I can think of many ways to describe being topless, but creepy? :eek:
Look, you choose for you own family, and that's fine. Other people may not want their children exposed to nudity, and they have that right, too. You don't insist on violating other people's standards, do you? I mean is that not at least common courtesy?

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Of course. I respect other people's feelings on their turf, and expect the same from them.

I find many ideas championed by certain people and groups to be creepy, but they are politically correct, so I'm not supposed to say anything...o_O

Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Creepy thread is creepy.
Look, you choose for you own family, and that's fine. Other people may not want their children exposed to nudity, and they have that right, too. You don't insist on violating other people's standards, do you? I mean is that not at least common courtesy?
Holy smokes man. Say whatever you want, but personally, I'd never call something "creepy" what the Lord had called good. God made us, and originally intended for us to be nude. Just my opinion, but you do you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Men don't have boobs to make others stare. It would be silly to demand men not go topless, when they have nothing to hide.
But it was once illegal for men to go topless in many places.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
1) No. Christians aren't supposed to be exhibitionists. We are supposed to be modest.
2) first question. No same answer as 1

But Scripture speaks of modesty in terms of overdressing, not underdressing. 1 Timothy 2:9-10 "Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works."

2) second question. Why this was not 3 Idk, the answer is also idk.

It keys of the earlier question, so I put them together.

3)This question is a bit strange. Why have you introduced permitted into only one side of this? Whether one should do a thing and whether one should be permitted to do a thing are very different questions. IMO no one should go topless and no one has a right to insist that someone is not permitted to go topless.

And I agree, it should be all one way, not separate rules for men and women.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's not, because they're different. Boobs were designed to look good and be private, torsos not so much. Refer to the example given previously, with the dirty old man and the video camera.

Evidence that boobs were created to be private? Where in scripture does it say that?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As a person heavily involved in fitness (personal trainer for 10 years), I have had a number of women comment on my chest. I don't think this is an accurate comment. However, I do agree I have nothing to hide, its their problem, not mine.

Well said. According to Wikipedia "Key body image for a man in the eyes of a woman would include big shoulders, chest, and upper back, and a slim waist area."

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Doesn't it "violate other people's standards" if men go topless in public?

• Agree
Upvote 0