Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
1) Should Christian women participate in Topfree Equality Day? If so, why? If not, why not?

There would be nothing inherently wrong with it, although one problematic issue is that a lot of it is sponsored by the Raelian religion and so for that reason I would be very careful.

2) Should Christian women go topfree on other days in places where men legally do so? Does Scripture prohibit them from doing so?

Sure why not? Some may point to 1 Timothy 2:9 in references to modesty, except the passage talks about women dressing too showy and says nothing about the amount of skin allowed. Why don't we hear about criticism of women who dress in lots of makeup and too fancy clothes?

3) For those who say that women should not go topfree in public, should men be permitted to do so?
See above.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I can not find 'topfree' in reputable dictionaries. They correct it to topless. Wikipedia and urban dictionary, while not dictionaries, align the word with the political movement.

Wicktionary, which is considered to be a fairly reputable source--no it isn't OED or Webster's, but it has gained a following--defines topfree as Free to refrain from wearing a top in public, especially (of women) to go topless.

I think topfree is a clever change of word. It is trying to step away from the trashy connotations of the word topless and cashing in on all the other freedom movements of the times. Some of which are also very unbiblical

I agree, it is a clever change of word. Topless brings up thoughts of strip clubs; topfree does not. I don't understand why Chesterton apparently has issues with the term.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
interesting a female tennis player got code violation for taking off top/putting back on she had it on backwards

(she had what looked like a sports bra on under top
so not even totally topless for 5 or so sec)

yet male tennis players had shirts off earlier in day

she was apologized to within 24 hrs

You are correct--she was never topfree while several male players were. Sounds like discrimination to me.

BTW, worth noting that in New York, where the match was being played, women can legally go topless anyplace that men can go topless.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
(I missed this last night)

I agree, mostly because the general public in the USA is steeped in the "nudity = sex" mindset.

I've never personally seen a topless woman casually walking down the sidewalk. I think the character of the neighborhood would determine the reaction she received, for the most part.

I appreciate your very kind words, Sam91.

I apologize to the OP for focusing on nudity rather than toplessness in my long post.
Most of my experience deals with total nudity, and the principles are the same.

No apology necessary Darkhorse. Your posts are always of the highest caliber.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Catholic Values Voter

Aug 27, 2018
Texas
✟2,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This Sunday, August 26th, will be Topfree Equality Day. Women and Men will be marching, in many places topfree, to promote equal rights for women, specifically the right to go topfree wherever men can legall do so.

My questions:

1) Should Christian women participate in Topfree Equality Day? If so, why? If not, why not?

2) Should Christian women go topfree on other days in places where men legally do so? Does Scripture prohibit them from doing so?

3) For those who say that women should not go topfree in public, should men be permitted to do so?

I had started a thread on this two years ago and it has occasionally resurfaced. However I know we have some new members and I want them to have a chance to express their views.

Please note, we are not talking about anyone going naked, simply topfree.

I disagree. Women who strut around topless are asking to get raped. It is necessary for women to dress modestly, otherwise they could be the victim of violent sexual assault.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Catholic Values Voter

Aug 27, 2018
Texas
✟2,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Winner
Reactions: Tetra
Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I disagree. Women who strut around topless are asking to get raped. It is necessary for women to dress modestly, otherwise they could be the victim of violent sexual assault.
While I understand what you are saying, it also depends on the situation. Being topless at the beach would be less sexually suggestive than would be at a nightclub or similar.

While I agree that dressing suggestively is sinful, this wouldn't absolve the greater sin of rape. Each is responsible for his own sin.

Upvote 0

HermanNeutics13

May 8, 2013
✟32,380.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And here we see the real issue. No is is "asking to get raped" no matter how they are dressed, how ridiculous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums