Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This Sunday, August 26th, will be Topfree Equality Day. Women and Men will be marching, in many places topfree, to promote equal rights for women, specifically the right to go topfree wherever men can legall do so.

My questions:

1) Should Christian women participate in Topfree Equality Day? If so, why? If not, why not?

2) Should Christian women go topfree on other days in places where men legally do so? Does Scripture prohibit them from doing so?

3) For those who say that women should not go topfree in public, should men be permitted to do so?

I had started a thread on this two years ago and it has occasionally resurfaced. However I know we have some new members and I want them to have a chance to express their views.

Please note, we are not talking about anyone going naked, simply topfree.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Of course! Ladies should be able to be bare-chested anywhere men can.

In practical terms, this would probably mean:

(1) where swimsuits are worn (beaches, pools, lakes)

(2) when working in hot weather (mowing lawns, gardening)

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don’t have a problem with the legality of it, but it would be a rare situation where I think either men or women should be shirtless. I think the loving thing is to recognize that many of our neighbors are uncomfortable with (partial nudity), and we should dress modestly (both men and women) to respect that.

I don’t think that should be codified into law, necessarily, and I do think that charity should be shown on the other side (such as not prohibiting or shaming women for breastfeeding their infants in public) as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
This Sunday, August 26th, will be Topfree Equality Day. Women and Men will be marching, in many places topfree, to promote equal rights for women, specifically the right to go topfree wherever men can legall do so.

My questions:

1) Should Christian women participate in Topfree Equality Day? If so, why? If not, why not?

2) Should Christian women go topfree on other days in places where men legally do so? Does Scripture prohibit them from doing so?

3) For those who say that women should not go topfree in public, should men be permitted to do so?

I had started a thread on this two years ago and it has occasionally resurfaced. However I know we have some new members and I want them to have a chance to express their views.

This is so ridiculous to me.

First off, when the pagans act crazy, you don't join them if you are Christian. We are SUPPOSED to be different.

When you need to ask questions that are effectively "Should we as Christians, act exactly like the pagans".... then you need to re-read your Bible.

Second, modesty is a virtue. Are you really asking "how immodest can a Christian be?"

Third, the entire idea of equality in this case is beyond ridiculous.

Down town Columbus, we had a strip club that was right on high street, that went through the middle of down town.

They had a dancer on in a glass window facing the street, that wore tiny 'nip' covering tops. Can you guess what happened? There were accidents there all the time. It became so routine, people would setup cameras there just to video the crashes.

The city stepped in, back in the early 2000s, and forced them to close the window. No more half naked chicks dancing for the bumper cars out front.

Do you think if a guy was standing there, that there would have been crashes? No. Why? Because men's chests are different than women's chests.

Have we really educated ourselves to the point that we are utterly incompetent in understanding that fundamentally men and women are different?

Romans 1:22
"Professing to be wise, they became fools"

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What surprises me is the gullibility of those in society who think the right to go around topless is something a good thing. It is more harmful to women than good for them.

Covered we endure sexual harassment enough. The whole idea of going topless myself is cringeworthy. Why? Because men, as a whole, are very disrespectful people. I was reading an article about how men react online when rejected and some turned instantly into attacking the woman. Comments such as too fat, too skinny. To me our breasts are personal and not to be paraded about to be ogled and leered at by people who are dehumanising and demeaning in nature. Much better kept private for intimate moments where there is the effect of the chemicals of oxytocin.

Anyway, it further reduces a woman's power and status to go around topless, so why would it be liberating and freeing? I can think that maybe these women are wanting to be rebellious, not caring what people think but in doing so they lose a valued part of themself. It is hard to name be it modesty, gentleness, a privacy and maybe an inner safety... that's what I'd lose anyway, something I can't name but feels like part of the essence of being a woman and it is a cherished and nice feeling to be kept and not taken from us.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Infact, the whole women's lib movement has made our lives harder. Yes, some things are better like equal rights to vote, not having to remain in abusive relationships.

But it has meant that now women have to have the bigger share at home and with raising children and work, while workload for men has stayed the same, relatively speaking. I can not see how that is a good thing for women, children, husbands and society at large (with exception to the capitalists and the government). Yet women fight for more rights, which aren't even a right, without focussing on the real issues which effect them.

It is madness! A lot of social issues at the moment seem to be madness and perpetuated by media, governments and gullible people aiming to think freer than the next person while being more hatefilled towards anyone not as liberal as themselves, which is a contradiction in terms.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
What surprises me is the gullibility of those in society who think the right to go around topless is something a good thing. It is more harmful to women than good for them.

Covered we endure sexual harassment enough. The whole idea of going topless myself is cringeworthy. Why? Because men, as a whole, are very disrespectful people. I was reading an article about how men react online when rejected and some turned instantly into attacking the woman. Comments such as too fat, too skinny. To me our breasts are personal and not to be paraded about to be ogled and leered at by people who are dehumanising and demeaning in nature. Much better kept private for intimate moments where there is the effect of the chemicals of oxytocin.

Anyway, it further reduces a woman's power and status to go around topless, so why would it be liberating and freeing? I can think that maybe these women are wanting to be rebellious, not caring what people think but in doing so they lose a valued part of themself. It is hard to name be it modesty, gentleness, a privacy and maybe an inner safety... that's what I'd lose anyway, something I can't name but feels like part of the essence of being a woman and it is a cherished and nice feeling to be kept and not taken from us.

Yeah, this is so baffling to me. I wonder how many cultures around the world, look at idiots in America and western culture, and think we are brainless fools.

In India they had (and still have to a large extent), a Caste system. You have upper castes, like Priests, Warriors and Rulers. Then you have lowers castes, called Pariah, and Sudras. These were the unskilled labors, and the street cleaners.

One of the ways that they would keep the lowers castes down, and keep them "in their place", was they would strip the women, young virgins and married women, topless and force them to walk around without a shirt on.

It was a sign of shame, and disrespect. How absolutely insane they must think we are, that women here are stripping bare intentionally, and pretending it's "Equality!".

And by the way.... most women, deep inside, know that this isn't equality.

Years ago.... I don't remember where I saw this, or if the video is still up....

There was a comedy video on youtube, where they found the ugliest fattest dirty old man they could find, and they gave him the biggest video camera they could find, and they sent him to a topless beach in France or some place, at one of the biggest vacation spots.

And it was funny. All these women, flopping their melons all over the beach, prancing around, and then this guy walks up, and magically.... they want to cover up. Why?

I thought we were equal? I thought it didn't matter! When a girl pulls out a camera, you don't see guys covering their chests with beach towels, why are they? We're exactly the same, right?

What happened was, the mythology that by having everyone run around bare chested, made it all equal, was completely stripped away when a man overtly made it clear..... what ALL the guys were doing. Nothing changed before he should up with a camera. All the rest of the guys on that beach were doing the same thing staring at all the bare buxom gals. The girls were just living in a fantasy that they were not, and this old ugly fat guy with the camera, blew up their fantasy, and suddenly they are all covering up.

All of you other women reading this.... you want to walk around with your boobs hanging out, that's your option. But don't think that any of the guys around you, are thinking of you as equals, or that they are respecting you. They are thinking about one thing, and it has to do with what's in their pants, not your equality.

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My questions:

I 100% agree with woman not being treated or considered somehow lesser human beings than men. However, I don't think trying to assert there are no differences between men and women is not the way to go. It seems to me the more they keep going down that road, the worse women are treated. It seems like a small number of activists drive these ideas and events and people feel pressured to comply, but really they don't feel comfortable with it.

"Please note, we are not talking about anyone going naked, simply topfree."
Top free today, naked tomorrow, and the ball keeps rolling

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don’t have a problem with the legality of it, but it would be a rare situation where I think either men or women should be shirtless. I think the loving thing is to recognize that many of our neighbors are uncomfortable with (partial nudity), and we should dress modestly (both men and women) to respect that.

I don’t think that should be codified into law, necessarily, and I do think that charity should be shown on the other side (such as not prohibiting or shaming women for breastfeeding their infants in public) as well.
At one time it was illegal in many places for either sex to go topfree. In fact men were arrested for going topless on beaches in New Jersey until the 1930s. Now it is legal for men to go topfree but in many places it is illegal for women to do so. Why the distinction if it was once illegal for either sex?

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, I recall your previous threads on "topfree" and on public breastfeeding. I deeply admire your passionate commitment to the important issue of letting me see more ladies' boobies. You are far and away my favorite SJW.
If you remember my previous threads you should remember me saying that I don’t care whether women actually go topless, I just believe that they should have the right to do so. The hey shouldn’t be arrested for doing what men regularly do.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is so ridiculous to me.
Equality is rediculous?

First off, when the pagans act crazy, you don't join them if you are Christian. We are SUPPOSED to be different.

What does anything I said have to do with pagans?

When you need to ask questions that are effectively "Should we as Christians, act exactly like the pagans".... then you need to re-read your Bible.

Again, what have I said regarding pagan behavior?
Second, modesty is a virtue. Are you really asking "how immodest can a Christian be?"

Perhaps you need to reread your Bible. When the Bible addresses modesty it talks about women overdressing, wearing jewels and braided hair.

Third, the entire idea of equality in this case is beyond ridiculous.

How?

Down town Columbus, we had a strip club that was right on high street, that went through the middle of down town.

They had a dancer on in a glass window facing the street, that wore tiny 'nip' covering tops. Can you guess what happened? There were accidents there all the time. It became so routine, people would setup cameras there just to video the crashes.

The city stepped in, back in the early 2000s, and forced them to close the window. No more half naked chicks dancing for the bumper cars out front.

Do you think if a guy was standing there, that there would have been crashes? No. Why?

And if it became commonplace for women to go topless no one would pay any attention.

Because men's chests are different than women's chests.

So why shouldn’t men have to cover their different-looking chests?

Have we really educated ourselves to the point that we are utterly incompetent in understanding that fundamentally men and women are different?

Have you ever gone topless on public?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Perhaps you need to reread your Bible. When the Bible addresses modesty it talks about women overdressing, wearing jewels and braided hair.

How?

And if it became commonplace for women to go topless no one would pay any attention.

So why shouldn’t men have to cover their different-looking chests?

Have you ever gone topless on public?

<staff edit>

Again... I already talked about that. That is bonkers and wrong.

There was a comedy video on youtube, where they found the ugliest fattest dirty old man they could find, and they gave him the biggest video camera they could find, and they sent him to a topless beach in France or some place, at one of the biggest vacation spots.

And it was funny. All these women, flopping their melons all over the beach, prancing around, and then this guy walks up, and magically.... they want to cover up. Why?

I thought we were equal? I thought it didn't matter! When a girl pulls out a camera, you don't see guys covering their chests with beach towels, why are they? We're exactly the same, right?

What happened was, the mythology that by having everyone run around bare chested, made it all equal, was completely stripped away when a man overtly made it clear..... what ALL the guys were doing. Nothing changed before he showed up with a camera. All the rest of the guys on that beach were doing the same thing staring at all the bare buxom gals. The girls were just living in a fantasy that they were not, and this old ugly fat guy with the camera, blew up their fantasy, and suddenly they are all covering up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you remember my previous threads you should remember me saying that I don’t care whether women actually go topless, I just believe that they should have the right to do so. The hey shouldn’t be arrested for doing what men regularly do.
Well if it's a legal matter then maybe you should be writing your congressman instead of writing in Christian Philosophy and Ethics. Of course I can predict the result. The legislator's aides will read your letter and say "My, what a logical, well thought-out and articulate case is being made here. Oh wait, it's from a dude? <chuckle>" Into recycle bin. :)

• Haha
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Then why are you tell me that I should be writing my congressman instead of posting here?
Just helpful advice. I don't think anyone here can stop topless women from being arrested.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just helpful advice. I don't think anyone here can stop topless women from being arrested.
I never said they could. I am simply putting the issue out for discussion.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I never said they could. I am simply putting the issue out for discussion.
And I'm discussing it. If you didn't want anyone who disagrees with you involved in the discussion, you could have added that as a caveat at the beginning of the OP.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And I'm discussing it. If you didn't want anyone who disagrees with you involved in the discussion, you could have added that as a caveat at the beginning of the OP.
And I’m not saying that you shouldn’t participate. I’m asking why you said I should write my congressman “instead of” posting here. Perhaps you didn’t realize what you said.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I’m asking why you said I should write my congressman “instead of” posting here.
Because you said this:
Perhaps you don't realize what you said. You said you don't actually care about your OP topic, you just don't want women getting arrested. Whether they get arrested is ultimately up to legislators.

Upvote 0