• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Today's time has passed

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't want to crash and burn...I just want to go on a bender. But even that, it's like...well, if I knew I weren't going to die, didn't have family that loved me, friends that loved me, etc etc...then I'd do it...but my life isn't like that, it's too good. I can feel good about myself. I can feel happy. I can be talking to God. I can be in a time when I'm communing with God a lot and experiencing his love and in the back of my mind, there's a part of me that still really wants to know how a bender would feel (the high, the pain, all of it). There's just a part of me that wants to live this lifestyle. It's something God has to burn out of me. It's not going to go away with the steps or a sponsor. A sponsor can chat with me and give me insight, but I'd much rather see a person trained in substance counseling and work through things that way. (for many reasons).

I really appreciate you Trish. What you say is a lot of good and I really like that you share this stuff with me, it helps. I love all you guys on here. Whether you realize it or not, you guys say important stuff to me that means a lot and helps me more than you will ever know.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't want to crash and burn...I just want to go on a bender. But even that, it's like...well, if I knew I weren't going to die, didn't have family that loved me, friends that loved me, etc etc...then I'd do it...but my life isn't like that, it's too good. I can feel good about myself. I can feel happy. I can be talking to God. I can be in a time when I'm communing with God a lot and experiencing his love and in the back of my mind, there's a part of me that still really wants to know how a bender would feel (the high, the pain, all of it). There's just a part of me that wants to live this lifestyle. It's something God has to burn out of me. It's not going to go away with the steps or a sponsor. A sponsor can chat with me and give me insight, but I'd much rather see a person trained in substance counseling and work through things that way. (for many reasons).

I really appreciate you Trish. What you say is a lot of good and I really like that you share this stuff with me, it helps. I love all you guys on here. Whether you realize it or not, you guys say important stuff to me that means a lot and helps me more than you will ever know.

You misunderstand the Steps and Sponsorship, as it is meant to be practiced. The Steps are where God will help you heal that urge and make it go away. Doing the fourth through seventh steps helps YOU learn about yourself and helps YOU trust God to make the necessary changes in your thinking and behavior.

As for Sponsorship: They are not meant to replace professionals. I see a licensed Ph.D. psychologist for my psychiatric issues, which coincide with my alcoholism. I also participate in outpatient substance abuse treatment with an addictions therapist. I still need a sponsor. She is the one who is going to guide me in my working the 12 Steps. She is the one who helps me get through the urge to obliterate myself on the way home from work. She is the one who helps me stay honest between my therapy sessions and my group sessions, so I don't slack off on my step work and my meeting attendance. She is the one who told me to sit in the front of the AA meeting, instead of hiding in the back. When I go to my treatment group, I am asked about my meeting attendance and whether or not I have a sponsor. Most addictions professionals are the first to admit that they are not the only ones who help addicts/alcoholics get sober. I know when I work at the hospital, I encourage my alcoholic/addicted patients to attend AA meetings. In fact, when I go to work on Saturday, there will be an AA meeting that will take place in the dining room at 10 am. Some kind people from AA go into the hospital every Saturday to make sure the patients are given the opportunity to attend an AA meeting while there.

Don't knock something you have never tried before.

God bless.
Trish

Upvote 0

BlessEwe

Legend
Dec 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟33,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

More than likely a substance abuse counselor will see you, but will refer you out ( along with counseling )to some sort of recovery program, like AA, NA, Celebrate Recovery to learn the tools and work with a sponsor ( As Trish says).
If you see someone who does not have the substance abuse credential, I would think they would refer you out unless they are in recovery themselves and understand the concept of the addiction brain.

A sponsor can chat with me and give me insight
It is basically not the sponsors who give you insight, Its God working in you, peeling away the feelings you are experiencing now.
Learning a new self talk and freedom from self destructive sabotage. Its learning to listen to yourself instead of trying to shut down the thoughts by going on binges ( as you have a desire to do). I do feel the desire comes from wanting to quiet the thoughts and emotions down for a time, not feel what you are feeling. Being sober allows these feelings to emerge and with out the tools, it hard to know what to do with them.

Going to meetings/working the steps doesn't mean we are weak minded. It means we are actually very strong wise people. People don't want to look at themselves, it so much easier to shut it all up and continue to push down the thoughts and emotions by the many addictions. And it not just substances that we take to avoid the feelings, we can stop that but more than likely it will turn into another addiction like food, TV, computer, inappropriate content, smokes, you name it if we don't look at what is inside us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Trish: I laughed when you used a phrase I often use: Don't knock something you've never tried before. I'm not knocking it. I know the way I often sound on forums can sound like I'm knocking all sorts of things. Online I sound much more blunt than in real life, I can't seem to stop that. I don't know why it happens like that.

I have to very separate desires that both go against God's will for me. The first is like all of yours: the very simple desire to continue using substances. The second is a very special one distinct from the first. It doesn't care about research before use. It doesn't care about creating special times for doing the chemicals. It doesn't care about using one drug at a time or even knowing what I'm putting into my body. It cares only about going on a weeklong drug and alcohol binge...this second desire is nearly impossible. It would be a million times easier to slip up and do a drug or drink again (should I be waiting for the day? Probably not.) than it would be to ever go on a bender. The mere existence of people who love me has and will always stop me. I've always wanted to run away, leave all the people who love me and never look back, but I have people who need me, people who love me, people who wouldn't be able to live without me. I am their everything and it keeps me from ever going on a bender in a place like LA without a single soul who knows me.

So often I just feel like...no one truly knows me, no one can ever truly know me, so what's the point in trying to keep explaining myself? And then I feel like, well, you guys have some similar points, so even if you only know me a tiny little bit, maybe you will help me and maybe I can help you, even though I don't even know 1% of who you are really.

Blessewe: Yea, but often, God takes people that go in your life and uses them as the vehicle. Often, we miss God's voice or ignore it because it often sounds like ours even though it's saying something we wouldn't say and know it might be God, but ignore it anyway. That other person is usually the one that gives you the necessary punch in the mouth or careful dropping of a phrase that gets lodged somewhere and begins to break up the hard bits inside of a person's soul.

I spend a lot of time with myself. A lot of time thinking, experiencing my own thoughts and dealing with them. I've come a long way. And all along the way, I know that it's been halted and attempted to stop the progress. The same things that helped me, hurt me. Drugs were wonderful for me, it seemed, for a time. But what I thought changed me for good, changed me for the worse too. I'm a new person and I became an addict for it. Drugs gave me new thoughts and I really liked them at first. I can't believe I've become this person. I honestly cannot believe I've become who I've become.

I don't want to talk about the steps anymore guys. When fall gets here, I'll have a car on campus and I'll be able to go to meetings and such, but for now, it just ain't happening. I can't. I'll get through the summer. I've made it this far without too many issues, just mild ones. I don't see many opportunities for drug use, although many possible drinking nights await that I'll have to side step. My best friend often goes drinking and has invited me before, but we've discussed my sobriety and he no longer invites me and realizes that I'm trying to not drink...so one of my main drinking people is out of the drinking picture. I'm going to house church tonight. I'll talk to some friends who know about my addictions and get some support.

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I didn't even get a response before I post again..l...and sadly I'll be posting this again. Ugh. I have got to rememember to stay awake. I just had 3 yeunglings, a speical lemonade, and a jim and coke...and when I got home, I was going to go to bed. Turns out, I get online first. Then I talk to some facebook friends that I was going to hang out with in real life tonite but ended up not hanging with. Anyway...I told him about my drinking and while telling him this, i went and found my seeds....I was going to tell him about them, but decided not to (what's the point, is what I was thinking). I took 200 seeds of morning glory and nearly vomited.

I'm in a zone and I'm gonna go enter that sleep/wake zone. But please continue to pray. I really appreciate your prayers for me...I've neglicectedd talkignt to God and I know that doesn't mean he's neglected talking to me, but aybe I've neglected listening to her too. I dunno an more
I just duunno.

achch
I'm sorry
Ich liebe dich. Immmer und alles.

Upvote 0

BlessEwe

Legend
Dec 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟33,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok girl, you know that we care about you and want to help. And a big hug to you for being honest.

First off ... Look at the differences between these posts made in the same day.

Trish: I laughed when you used a phrase I often use: Don't knock something you've never tried before. I'm not knocking it. I know the way I often sound on forums can sound like I'm knocking all sorts of things. Online I sound much more blunt than in real life, I can't seem to stop that. I don't know why it happens like that.

I have to very separate desires that both go against God's will for me. The first is like all of yours: the very simple desire to continue using substances. The second is a very special one distinct from the first. It doesn't care about research before use. It doesn't care about creating special times for doing the chemicals. It doesn't care about using one drug at a time or even knowing what I'm putting into my body. It cares only about going on a weeklong drug and alcohol binge...this second desire is nearly impossible. It would be a million times easier to slip up and do a drug or drink again (should I be waiting for the day? Probably not.) than it would be to ever go on a bender. The mere existence of people who love me has and will always stop me. I've always wanted to run away, leave all the people who love me and never look back, but I have people who need me, people who love me, people who wouldn't be able to live without me. I am their everything and it keeps me from ever going on a bender in a place like LA without a single soul who knows me.

So often I just feel like...no one truly knows me, no one can ever truly know me, so what's the point in trying to keep explaining myself? And then I feel like, well, you guys have some similar points, so even if you only know me a tiny little bit, maybe you will help me and maybe I can help you, even though I don't even know 1% of who you are really.

Blessewe: Yea, but often, God takes people that go in your life and uses them as the vehicle. Often, we miss God's voice or ignore it because it often sounds like ours even though it's saying something we wouldn't say and know it might be God, but ignore it anyway. That other person is usually the one that gives you the necessary punch in the mouth or careful dropping of a phrase that gets lodged somewhere and begins to break up the hard bits inside of a person's soul.

I spend a lot of time with myself. A lot of time thinking, experiencing my own thoughts and dealing with them. I've come a long way. And all along the way, I know that it's been halted and attempted to stop the progress. The same things that helped me, hurt me. Drugs were wonderful for me, it seemed, for a time. But what I thought changed me for good, changed me for the worse too. I'm a new person and I became an addict for it. Drugs gave me new thoughts and I really liked them at first. I can't believe I've become this person. I honestly cannot believe I've become who I've become.

I don't want to talk about the steps anymore guys. When fall gets here, I'll have a car on campus and I'll be able to go to meetings and such, but for now, it just ain't happening. I can't. I'll get through the summer. I've made it this far without too many issues, just mild ones. I don't see many opportunities for drug use, although many possible drinking nights await that I'll have to side step. My best friend often goes drinking and has invited me before, but we've discussed my sobriety and he no longer invites me and realizes that I'm trying to not drink...so one of my main drinking people is out of the drinking picture. I'm going to house church tonight. I'll talk to some friends who know about my addictions and get some support.

And later last night
I didn't even get a response before I post again..l...and sadly I'll be posting this again. Ugh. I have got to rememember to stay awake. I just had 3 yeunglings, a speical lemonade, and a jim and coke...and when I got home, I was going to go to bed. Turns out, I get online first. Then I talk to some facebook friends that I was going to hang out with in real life tonite but ended up not hanging with. Anyway...I told him about my drinking and while telling him this, i went and found my seeds....I was going to tell him about them, but decided not to (what's the point, is what I was thinking). I took 200 seeds of morning glory and nearly vomited.

I'm in a zone and I'm gonna go enter that sleep/wake zone. But please continue to pray. I really appreciate your prayers for me...I've neglicectedd talkignt to God and I know that doesn't mean he's neglected talking to me, but aybe I've neglected listening to her too. I dunno an more
I just duunno.

achch
I'm sorry
Ich liebe dich. Immmer und alles.

It looks to me like its a person who really doesn't want to ruin her life, yet the desire is so strong to cut loose ...the inevitable happened. It is very common what you are doing, sometimes a road we all must take to get to the point of understanding just how powerful this really is. Going to meetings and getting help for yourself doesn't make you a loser, it will put you on the right path God wants you to be on.
Praying for you sister, you Can do this!

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can't go to AA! You don't understand. What will I tell my mom? I can't do that. What a mess. Last night was a mess. I know I need help and I would finally go to a meeting.

When I drink, my desire to do drugs overcomes my desire to not to drugs.

I must not really want help. I know exactly what to do to get help and I won't do it. I don't even know why I bother writing on here if I won't even get help.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I can't go to AA! You don't understand. What will I tell my mom? I can't do that. What a mess. Last night was a mess. I know I need help and I would finally go to a meeting.

When I drink, my desire to do drugs overcomes my desire to not to drugs.

I must not really want help. I know exactly what to do to get help and I won't do it. I don't even know why I bother writing on here if I won't even get help.

What will you tell your Mom? I remember thinking that very same thing when I was confronted with my drinking, which my husband had no clue about. I told him the truth.

"Mom, I have a problem. I need help. I need to go to AA meetings, because I can't stop drinking."

You are 21 years old. In the U.S. that is an adult. You are old enough to drink. You are old enough to face the consequences, however they fall out, in your relationship with Mom.

Better to get help now, and have things out in the open, than to get a DUI, or have her find you passed out of a drug overdose, or worse.

My son had a few years with heroin addiction. My worst fear was that the police would come to my door in the middle of the night to take me to the morgue to identify his body. He now has a drinking problem, but he is also 26, and lives 300 miles away. I love him to pieces, but can't help him till he wants to stop.

Sorry if this sounds cold, or hard, but I am in treatment with young people your age, and they are getting the help they need in treatment and at meetings. I know how hard it is for you and them, as parents can be tough critics. But, better to have Mom upset with you, than burying you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
She was always afraid I'd end up like my father. I'd rather she didn't know.

Several thoughts jump to mind.

Obviously he had some redeeming qualities, she conceived you with him. Did he drink? Did he ever try to stop? My dad drank, but never tried to stop. I chose recovery. He did not. You are choosing recovery.

It's not how you start out like your father, it's how you choose not to stay like him that will impress her more.

You don't have to tell her you are going to AA. Just go. You are 21. How did you hide your drinking and drugging? Do the same secretive things to get to AA as you do to get your beer and drugs. If you can go to that much trouble to hide your drinking you can also go to the same amount of trouble to attend some AA meetings and possibly get sober and recover.

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't hide my drinking from her. I also don't get drunk like at school while I'm at home. I was able to talk quite clearly to her last night. See, the thing is, I tell her where I'm going and who I'm going with whenever I go anywhere. She knows everywhere I go. I couldn't even tell her I was depressed, what makes you think I'll be able to tell her I'm an alcoholic and drug addict?

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't hide my drinking from her. I also don't get drunk like at school while I'm at home. I was able to talk quite clearly to her last night. See, the thing is, I tell her where I'm going and who I'm going with whenever I go anywhere. She knows everywhere I go. I couldn't even tell her I was depressed, what makes you think I'll be able to tell her I'm an alcoholic and drug addict?

It sounds like you are putting on a show of being honest with her about your whereabouts, but you are deceiving her about your illness. Would you hide cancer from her if you had it? Why hide depression from her?

If she knows you drink, why would you be ashamed of wanting to stop? Why would it be necessary to hide the desire to quit? I am confused.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I went on the site, but I haven't gotten to one yet. There's one tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I'm not going anywhere. I still feel pretty awful, eating the BRAT diet and trying to keep the food from coming out of me as a liquid from more than one place.

School starts in september. I'm going to be going a lot of places this summer, so I'm going to try and work as much as possible and if I'm going to work, I need to feel good, in order to feel good, I can't be on chemicals.

Most of all...I've been trying to fight my use with reasons...but there is only one fighting thing that wins out. There is no because. It simply is. You know when your parents say "just because." Well, God doesn't even bother. He just looks at you...and you know...he doesn't even need to say anything. That's my anti-drug.

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ha...I'm not out to prove you guys wrong anymore...I'm just out to stop messing myself up like a fool. Those posts I made last night make me sick and the fact that stuff started to get fuzzy bothers me. I hate who I am when I'm drunk and I say way more than I should. I hate being drunk. No wonder I threw up...I make myself sick. There's a whole lot more I'd like to say....but I"ll let it slip by you and hold onto it...

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No, I'm stronger than this. I'll do the right thing.

Are you saying that you are stronger than Satan? It sounds like you have a lot of pride about this issue. You are stronger than your alcoholism and addiction. I used to believe that lie of the Devil too.

Upvote 0