Home
✟17,325.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Here is my dilemna. I am a kindergarten teacher and throughout this past year I had a wonderful group of kiddos in my class. As the year went on I noticed that this one dad who came to pick up his son seem ed to be flirting a little bit with me. I kinda blew it off until pratically the end of the year a few weeks back he asks me if I wanted to go to dinner with him. At first I was like I have to think this over because of his son in my class, but I accepted. Now we have been seeing each other off and on since and I really like the guy. He is charming,successful, very caring towards me, fun to be with, and is also a Christian like myself. The only problem that I have is how is his son going to feel if his former kindergarten teacher gets into a steady relationship with his dad. The boy is still very young and will be going into the 1st grade next year and will not have me for a teacher, but I will still be teaching at the school. I really do not know what to do. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank You, Kalina

lozzie

Just me...
Apr 7, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟19,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I don't think I can really answer that for you... It's gotta be a decision based on how you feel and what you think is right I think.

From a professional perspective you definately did the right thing by holding off until the end of the year. However, as a teacher myself I would be very hesitant to build a relationship with a parent at the school I was teaching at. Did his son like you as a teacher? Most kindy kids, if they loved their teacher would be pretty excited to see you outside of school.

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm also a teacher, and I think that if you aren't his current teacher, it's not quite a problem. Treat the little boy as you always have; hopefully kindly and caring. Teachers are allowed to have lives too, lol. Even though a lot of people don't want us to. Kudos to the dad for waiting til the end of they year to ask you out; I think that shows real consideration for both you and his son.
You do have to consider this relationship from a professional viewpoint, but I think as long as it's not interfering with your ability to do your job then it's not "wrong". I can see how a relationship with a parent could become a fishbowl relationship. and you have to consider, dating a parent- if you are serious about the father then the little boy will be part of your life and relationship. If you are not serious, then it's probably best to not involve the little boy in knowing or limiting dating his dad. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Smurfer~

Love Him with all your heart
Apr 10, 2009
Home
✟17,325.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think I can really answer that for you... It's gotta be a decision based on how you feel and what you think is right I think.

From a professional perspective you definately did the right thing by holding off until the end of the year. However, as a teacher myself I would be very hesitant to build a relationship with a parent at the school I was teaching at. Did his son like you as a teacher? Most kindy kids, if they loved their teacher would be pretty excited to see you outside of school.
Yes, he really seemed to enjoy me as a teacher. He also seems to be quite excited whenever I am over his house even now. My major concern is he is only six years old and since he lost his mom at a very early age he may not fully understand why his former teacher is around so much.

I'm also a teacher, and I think that if you aren't his current teacher, it's not quite a problem. Treat the little boy as you always have; hopefully kindly and caring. Teachers are allowed to have lives too, lol. Even though a lot of people don't want us to. Kudos to the dad for waiting til the end of they year to ask you out; I think that shows real consideration for both you and his son. Best of luck!
Oh, whenever I have been over the house he does seem very excited. We do things that like play board games and just have fun. I really want this to work out between me and his father because his dad is a special man and he is a very special boy. I just wanted to run the situation by others to see if I was carzy or not to pursue this anymore.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I dont think its an issue since you are no longer the teacher. Almost every dating teacher or married teacher is related to a kid in some way in schools. Especially with his age it should not seem as awkward as it would if he were older.

Upvote 0
L

LostFound1986

I wouldn't worry :). Really, if he liked you as a teacher, he's not at the age yet where liking your teacher becomes quite a faux pas... Also, without trying to jump the gun, I think its great when children can still be brought up by couples when one of their parents has been lost to them for whatever reason. It sounds great, if you really like him totally go for it!

Upvote 0

~Smurfer~

Apr 10, 2009
Home
✟17,325.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Thank You everyone. We started going out casual since May 9th and since it is coming up on one month I think we both want to strp it up to a real relationship . I think I am going to talk to him and maybe even have his son there to include him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Smurfer~

Apr 10, 2009
Home
✟17,325.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Okay everyone. I am heading over to the gentlemens house that I spoke about for dinner tonight and we are going to discuss taking this relationship up a notch. I am both extremely excited and nervous and the same time. I haven't been in a steady relationship for like ages.

Upvote 0

~Smurfer~

Apr 10, 2009
Home
✟17,325.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Yes it most ceratinly did. Had a wonderful dinner and a great talk about our relationship. We both agree it is time to step it up to more than just casual dating.

The best thing was his 6 year old son(my former kindergarten student) was very excited although I don't really think he knows what we were talking about. All he knows is I will be around a lot and he likes that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.