Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
stop using them while you're driving!!!!! :mad:

Put down the cell phone and focus on the road!!! You can call them back!

Allow me to rant for a moment.....

I was driving down the highway at about 60-65 mph (speed limit) and this car started coming into my lane, without a turn signal or even looking to see if the lane was clear, nearly killing me and my family - no exaggeration! I slammed on the horn, apparently startling her and she returned to her lane. How we didn't impact is beyond me! When I recovered from the shock of my near death experience and looked at the driver, guess what? She was on the stupid cell phone! Honestly what phone call could be so important that she had to have it while driving down the highway at those speeds?

Seriously I think its hideously irresponsible for drivers to use their cell phones while driving! I mean putting my families lives at risk for a phone call?!?!?! I wanted to drive after this lady and give her a piece of my mind and let her look into the face of my children and tell them that her phone call was more important than their lives! URGH!!!!!! (i know road rage wouldn't have helped the situation, but I was furious how close to death me and my family just were!)

Why isn't this against the law yet?!?!?!?!?! Honestly, they need to impliment stiff penalties to stop the madness. Maybe some attempted murder charges when an accident is caused by someone using a cell phone!

I did a little research and found

In 2002, the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis calculated that 2,600 people die each year as a result of using cellphones while driving. They estimated that another 330,000 are injured.

What is so important that it can't wait til you get home? Get off the phone and save some lives!

We have all kinds of discussions about drunk driving and driving under the influence of pots and other drugs, but more lives are being lost from people talkin' on the cell phone!!!!

The Harvard study found that a cell phone user has about 13 chances in 1 million of being killed in an accident while making a call; that compares with 49 in 1 million for someone driving without a seat belt.

Other drivers and pedestrians have about four chances in 1 million of dying in an accident caused by a cell phone user, according to the study. Their chance of being killed by a drunken driver is more than four times as high — 18 in a million.

1 In 20 Crashes Linked To Cell Phones - CBS News

Last edited:

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We have had several (actually over 10) near misses with people using cell phones, putting on lipstick or mascara, and picking up something that fell on the floor.

Yes, temporarily there was no driver visible until their head popped up and then they swerved to avoid hitting us !!!!

They are a risk to life and limb.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟322,339.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Near where I work there is a supermarket where it is simply nasty getting out of the parking lot, at least for those turning left. It has to do with traffic flow. Yet I see people trying to make that left turn while on the cell pretty often. For this one I have to ask if it was so imprtant why not make the call before pulling out of your parking place?

Oh and in California it always has been illegal under some general laws and is specifically against the law now.

And the above left turn. It is onto a street where the sherrifs patrol a lot, in part because the nearest station is only a mile and a half away and they pretty much have to go past it. They are not slow to ticket. Still it seems to make little difference.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That sounds like a Costco. Their parking lots are apple orchards for the police.

p.s. I am not attacking the police. The problem is the store itself here in Los Angeles.

The exit is on a very small street that is not designed for that kind of traffic.

There are always violations, and one of the worst are soccer moms with one hand on a misbehaving child and the other holding their cell phones. They drive with their legs. Urgh.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

peadar1987

Mar 22, 2009
I'm a Dub, but I live in Scotland now
✟1,446.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Once I was nearly killed while out walking my dog.

There's a section of road with no footpath, just a bush, then the road, a car came round the bend, coming straight for us. When it became apparent it wasn't going to stop, I had to kick my dog into the bush, and jump in after her. As I jumped, I saw the driver had his eyes glued to his phone. The eejit was writing a text message as he was driving. Didn't even stop.

Luckily, apart from a few scratches, everyone was fine. I'm not sure the dog's ever forgiven me though!

Upvote 0

Jade Margery

Stranger in a strange land
Oct 29, 2008
✟19,915.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wow. I think we may have finally found something that everyone can agree on, regardless of party line, religious beliefs, geographic location, or social status.

All in favor of making it illegal to drive and talk on a cell phone at the same time?

*raises hand*

Upvote 0

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I think different activities have different levels of danger. Texting is very much a bad idea. I must admit, however, that from time to time when I'm on the interstate and feeling a little sleepy, I'll pull out my phone, say "call so-and-so", and spend a few minutes talking to a friend to wake myself up. Eyes never have to leave the road, and if I need to change lanes I put the phone in my lap and do so.

I think that's preferable to driving while sleepy. Of course, it's best not to drive when tired at all, but sometimes that's not possible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟928,773.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
In Australia you can lose you licence if the police see you even touch your mobile phone while you are driving.

We're kind of allowed to use hands free kits, but you are suposed to pull over, answer the phone, then drive off with the hands free set in place.

Upvote 0

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
We're kind of allowed to use hands free kits, but you are suposed to pull over, answer the phone, then drive off with the hands free set in place.

That's odd - don't most hands-free sets just require you to touch your earpiece to answer the phone?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟911,804.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Here in Washington they just made it illegal to drive and talk on the cell phone without a hands free device. Unfortunately they wrote the law so that the police have to pull you over for something else prior to citing you for not using a hands free device. The result, after the law went into effect people where a bit more cautious when using the phone and driving but now it is back to normal. Hopefully they will make it so police can pull people over for talking on their cell soon. I can't count the number of close calls I have had.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Color me the sensitive one, but.... I'll say it: glad you are safe, Suzy!

I think in some states it is illegal. (NY?)

Yup, It is illegal here; I believe NY was the first state to ban cell phone use while driving, since about 2002 I think.

Of course people still do it. My coworker's daughter has gotten 3 tickets for talking on a cell phone while driving... I think you should get a suspended license when you keep getting such tickets. Somehow I have no problem putting my phone on silent when I get in the car and waiting to return calls until I am parked.

Everyone seems to think they are the exception to the rule when it comes to doing things that distract them while driving.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think different activities have different levels of danger. Texting is very much a bad idea. I must admit, however, that from time to time when I'm on the interstate and feeling a little sleepy, I'll pull out my phone, say "call so-and-so", and spend a few minutes talking to a friend to wake myself up. Eyes never have to leave the road, and if I need to change lanes I put the phone in my lap and do so.

I think that's preferable to driving while sleepy. Of course, it's best not to drive when tired at all, but sometimes that's not possible.

But you're talking about hands free devices where you don't have to look at your phone or take your hands off the wheel, those are legal here. Most people I know who claim to be using handsfree don't bother to set up their phone so that they can tell it who to call without touching the phone. There are a lot of people who don't bother to learn about the technology available on their high tech devices.

Upvote 0

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
But you're talking about hands free devices where you don't have to look at your phone or take your hands off the wheel, those are legal here. Most people I know who claim to be using handsfree don't bother to set up their phone so that they can tell it who to call without touching the phone. There are a lot of people who don't bother to learn about the technology available on their high tech devices.

I don't have a hands-free setup - I just use the voice recognition feature that comes on most modern cell phones. All that I have to do is press one button that is easy to find without looking on the side of the phone, state who I'd like to call, and drive with one hand (which I'm more comfortable doing anyway)

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
stop using them while you're driving!!!!! :mad:

Put down the cell phone and focus on the road!!! You can call them back!

Allow me to rant for a moment.....

I was driving down the highway at about 60-65 mph (speed limit) and this car started coming into my lane, without a turn signal or even looking to see if the lane was clear, nearly killing me and my family - no exaggeration! I slammed on the horn, apparently startling her and she returned to her lane. How we didn't impact is beyond me! When I recovered from the shock of my near death experience and looked at the driver, guess what? She was on the stupid cell phone! Honestly what phone call could be so important that she had to have it while driving down the highway at those speeds?

Seriously I think its hideously irresponsible for drivers to use their cell phones while driving! I mean putting my families lives at risk for a phone call?!?!?! I wanted to drive after this lady and give her a piece of my mind and let her look into the face of my children and tell them that her phone call was more important than their lives! URGH!!!!!! (i know road rage wouldn't have helped the situation, but I was furious how close to death me and my family just were!)

Why isn't this against the law yet?!?!?!?!?! Honestly, they need to impliment stiff penalties to stop the madness. Maybe some attempted murder charges when an accident is caused by someone using a cell phone!

I did a little research and found

In 2002, the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis calculated that 2,600 people die each year as a result of using cellphones while driving. They estimated that another 330,000 are injured.

What is so important that it can't wait til you get home? Get off the phone and save some lives!

We have all kinds of discussions about drunk driving and driving under the influence of pots and other drugs, but more lives are being lost from people talkin' on the cell phone!!!!

The Harvard study found that a cell phone user has about 13 chances in 1 million of being killed in an accident while making a call; that compares with 49 in 1 million for someone driving without a seat belt.

Other drivers and pedestrians have about four chances in 1 million of dying in an accident caused by a cell phone user, according to the study. Their chance of being killed by a drunken driver is more than four times as high — 18 in a million.

1 In 20 Crashes Linked To Cell Phones - CBS News

I feel that it is crazy for kids to be texting or talking on cell phones while walking to school. They miss opportunities to talk face to face with the students just in front or behind them. And they might not see/hear the car coming...

Upvote 0

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I feel that it is crazy for kids to be texting or talking on cell phones while walking to school. They miss opportunities to talk face to face with the students just in front or behind them. And they might not see/hear the car coming...
Kids still walk to school? :p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.