Hornell
✟7,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone! I have been reading Christianforums for some time now and feel this is the community to seeks answers from as my in person questions have gone unanswered. I will try to give thorough detail, but I am not looking to be negative. If you want to skip the background info, my question is at the bottom.

Let me start by stating this: I believe tithing is necessary, biblical, and rewarding.

I am married to the Pastor's daughter. She is the worship leader at our church and has been for many many years. I first met my wife almost 4 years ago when I came to church for the first time. The church was renting a room from a business each week and struggled with finances. The congregation size at that time was about 25 people, about half hit or miss. This particilar group was the remnants of a much larger congregation, about 300 people, from an AG church that went through a fierce split and shut down after the Pastor (my father in law) divorced his wife after years of neglect and suspected adultery (she ended up marrying the worship pastor in question).
The one thing that stood out to me was the lack of ANYTHING at the weekly services. There were literally chairs and a very small sound system with 2 speakers and a mic. I continued to go as his messages really spoke to me and the worship was just phenomenal (my now wife was leading worship at that time and now travels to sing on top of leading on Sundays). I quickly became involved in the church as there were several areas I was able to help in (I am now the tech director).
Fast forward to today (many things took place between then and now but they are irrelevant to my question). We have a new building that we rent monthly, space for a kids church and nursery. We were in the building for a year with the same chairs and small sound system. As I had become heavily involved, I spoke with the Pastor many times about things the church needed (I say needed because we were losing members due to these specific complaints and could not retain any new members). I was repeatedly told we did not have the money for sound equipment, bibles, basic church signage and decor, or to pay anyone but the Pastor (at this time the amount was not known). We held a church picnic which everyone had to bring all of their own stuff. The church was unable to provide ANYTHING like they always had years before.
Messages about tithing and threats of doors shutting became more frequent. My wife and I were desprate to get the church off the ground. We personally funded a new sound system, repaired entire sections of missing drywall in the building, build a sound booth, built a nursery from scratch, created decor and decorated the church, and started putting on events such as movie nights and community outreaches, all on our own, all out of pocket. The Pastor would continually say we did not have the money for these things so if we wanted to get them we could. Since we invested into these things and organized these events, we have seen an increase to 60 steady members each week, and we grow weekly!

The money we put into the church and the items it needed and the events we put on in the churches name are far far greater than "10%" tithe. We found out that our church brings in around 50k a year from our small congregation, and about 85% of that goes to the Pastor in salary, paying his utilities, and reimbursements to him. The other 15% goes to office supplies and the rent. He does not have another job, nor has he ever. His new wife has had to go get a job to make ends meet.

Here is my question: We are told to be good stewards of our money. To tithe with a cheerful heart. Is it wrong that we put the money into what the church needs instead of tithing it directly to the Pastor? After pouring our time, talents, and treasures into the church, because the Pastor would not, we did start putting our tithe into what the church needed instead of the offering plate. We tithed faithfully for 2 years, in which time the Pastor would not do a single thing for the church, only threatening to close the doors. Once we stopped tithing, he pulled us aside and reprimanded us, saying God would remove his hand of blessing from our lives. That was a year ago. Since then we have continue to make improvements that has lead to explosive growth of our church. We are seeing people give their hearts to Jesus weekly. We wanted to leave the church all together to go to a church more in line with our values, but with him being family it is not that easy. Are we wrong? At what point do we stop being blind and start holding those in position accountable? I have talked with all of the elders, and each one has told me in one way or another that they are just "yes men" and that I should just give my money and let God handle the rest. That to me is turning a blind eye. I understand Pastors should be paid, but taking 85% of the churches money and threatening to close doors after talking about how he "took a pay cut" seems very off to me. My wife and I put about 20 hours a week into the church, purchase all the items for the church, and put on all community events with the help of other members, not the Pastor. If I believe all he says, then God is upset with me for all of these works. If left to Pastor, they would never happen. I feel like it is a matter of what is more important, leading people to God or paying my Pastor's bills.

I am open to all answers and criticism. I am by no means selfish, and I understand everything I have is God's anyways. That is why I spend as much as I do without submitting reimbursement or expecting any acknowledgement of my efforts. I just want to see the people reached and saved and have a place to call home finally.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Remember we live by faith, not by sight,

and sometimes I think of the widow who was faithful -
but
she did not tithe.

The meeting place she attended was where the leaders

sought to put JESUS the MESSIAH to death ,
I think,

and still now people all over the world know that JESUS POINTED HER OUT ....

but still she DID NOT TITHE !

Reactions: jrmacool
Upvote 0

HawgWyld

May 3, 2013
Benton, Ark.
Visit site
✟21,824.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is a head scratcher and, I'm afraid, a common problem in smaller churches. I don't know if there is a clear answer to that, but the Bible does offer some great advice.

We know from the Bible that -- traditionally -- it is the role of the community to support the pastors (a review of how the Levites were to get by makes that very clear). However, it is the role of the pastors to look after the good of the church. Outside of that, is it possible to determine at what point taking care of the pastor is harming the church? That the role of the church in honoring Christ is more important than taking care of a pastor's bills and that the church should not suffer overly much because of the needs of one individual? If the pastor's salary is harming the church, then you might have your answer.

On the other hand, is the growth in membership partially due to an inspired pastor who is spreading the Gospel and bringing more people to God? If so, could it be that his salary is fair and that the increasing membership will take care of the church's bills? Would letting that pastor go hurt the church and, as such, make it impossible to fulfill its mission?

No answers, I know, but that was a problem in the church my wife's family started. The pastor was consistently getting raises and the church was being deprived of the money it needed to fulfill its mission. At this point, the church is close to the point where it will simply not be able to function -- and this is all the doing of one individual. The difference between that situation and the one you have mentioned is that the church shrank in spite of the fact that more money was needed to pay its pastor. That is vastly different from the problem a growing church has -- the revenues should pick up to the point where the pastor can be paid and the church can get what it needs. In theory, then, your problem may have an answer.

Meanwhile, I think one thing is clear -- pulling you aside and reprimanding you was dead wrong. Tithing is between you and God.

Upvote 0

jrmacool

May 1, 2017
Hornell
✟7,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is a head scratcher and, I'm afraid, a common problem in smaller churches. I don't know if there is a clear answer to that, but the Bible does offer some great advice.

We know from the Bible that -- traditionally -- it is the role of the community to support the pastors (a review of how the Levites were to get by makes that very clear). However, it is the role of the pastors to look after the good of the church. Outside of that, is it possible to determine at what point taking care of the pastor is harming the church? That the role of the church in honoring Christ is more important than taking care of a pastor's bills and that the church should not suffer overly much because of the needs of one individual? If the pastor's salary is harming the church, then you might have your answer.

On the other hand, is the growth in membership partially due to an inspired pastor who is spreading the Gospel and bringing more people to God? If so, could it be that his salary is fair and that the increasing membership will take care of the church's bills? Would letting that pastor go hurt the church and, as such, make it impossible to fulfill its mission?

No answers, I know, but that was a problem in the church my wife's family started. The pastor was consistently getting raises and the church was being deprived of the money it needed to fulfill its mission. At this point, the church is close to the point where it will simply not be able to function -- and this is all the doing of one individual. The difference between that situation and the one you have mentioned is that the church shrank in spite of the fact that more money was needed to pay its pastor. That is vastly different from the problem a growing church has -- the revenues should pick up to the point where the pastor can be paid and the church can get what it needs. In theory, then, your problem may have an answer.

Meanwhile, I think one thing is clear -- pulling you aside and reprimanding you was dead wrong. Tithing is between you and God.

I try to tread very carefully when speaking of this as I know the relationship (me being the Pastor's son in law) could make it seem as though my perception is biased. The lack of funds has been an ongoing issues, and my wife and I are going into our second year of not tithing. At first I felt it was not a bad thing as we were using the money we would typically have tithed (and some) to put on community outreaches, purchases much needed items and supplies for the church, and we dedicate so much of our time to the church itself (which we do out of JOY, not because we feel we have to). Once the meeting happened, it was if guilt plagued me. I started feeling I was serving out of guilt. After much prayer I know this is not true as I have been called and it brings joy to me to serve. Ever since the conversation though I still feel a twinge of guilt when the offering is taken and I am still at the sound board. Not too long after meeting with Pastor, the associate Pastor pulled us aside and gave us the same speech. Then just a few weeks ago the associate Pastors husband, who is an elder and runs the sound with me, invited me to dinner and the conversation came up. This time I felt confident enough to give my reply of "We are asked to be good stewards of our money" and explained how my wife and I had begged Pastor to use the church funds for needed items instead of just his salary.

I do feel called to this church as my wife and I had left for 3 months to help with a church plant and in that time the church saw its numbers drop to about 12 people and almost closed the doors for good. The problem is that the church is in the Pastor's name, and he cannot be "outed" as it is very clear he runs it, and that his board are just good people who have remained faithful to him and will not challenge his authority. Part of me does not want to invite people as they will face the same heartache we have, but then I remember we are here to save the lost and lead them to Jesus. The great commission has always stuck with me and I am in a very good spot to do it where I currently am. Any ideas or suggestions on how to approach this issue with my Pastor / Father in law?

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As far as I'm concerned you paid tithe and then some.
You invested in the church. If the portion of the money you would have paid is lacking, the money from another can be diverted to make up for it.

Sounds like your pastor in law has less than a full commitent to the church and his calling.

Upvote 0

HawgWyld

May 3, 2013
Benton, Ark.
Visit site
✟21,824.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I try to tread very carefully when speaking of this as I know the relationship (me being the Pastor's son in law) could make it seem as though my perception is biased. The lack of funds has been an ongoing issues, and my wife and I are going into our second year of not tithing. At first I felt it was not a bad thing as we were using the money we would typically have tithed (and some) to put on community outreaches, purchases much needed items and supplies for the church, and we dedicate so much of our time to the church itself (which we do out of JOY, not because we feel we have to). Once the meeting happened, it was if guilt plagued me. I started feeling I was serving out of guilt. After much prayer I know this is not true as I have been called and it brings joy to me to serve. Ever since the conversation though I still feel a twinge of guilt when the offering is taken and I am still at the sound board. Not too long after meeting with Pastor, the associate Pastor pulled us aside and gave us the same speech. Then just a few weeks ago the associate Pastors husband, who is an elder and runs the sound with me, invited me to dinner and the conversation came up. This time I felt confident enough to give my reply of "We are asked to be good stewards of our money" and explained how my wife and I had begged Pastor to use the church funds for needed items instead of just his salary.

I do feel called to this church as my wife and I had left for 3 months to help with a church plant and in that time the church saw its numbers drop to about 12 people and almost closed the doors for good. The problem is that the church is in the Pastor's name, and he cannot be "outed" as it is very clear he runs it, and that his board are just good people who have remained faithful to him and will not challenge his authority. Part of me does not want to invite people as they will face the same heartache we have, but then I remember we are here to save the lost and lead them to Jesus. The great commission has always stuck with me and I am in a very good spot to do it where I currently am. Any ideas or suggestions on how to approach this issue with my Pastor / Father in law?

I wish I did have some great advice! Everything I know is based on what I've seen in other churches and as an attorney (I represented a church that was close to bankruptcy because of a spendthrift pastor). Here's what I know -- if you bring that up to your pastor, you are going to put a strain on your marriage. Unless I miss my guess, he's going to be furious with you for even suggesting he's doing something wrong. I would consult my wife before I did anything (of course, that is a personal rule -- I involve my wife in just about everything I do).

One problem I have is that the church seems to be run entirely by him. Wow. If your church was all about worshiping the pastor, then I guess that would be fine -- but, that's not what church is for...

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Straight up ask the pastor / leaders if they are willing to obey God and His Word...

it they are willing, stay as long as God permits, and do the work of God's Word/ Salvation/ the GOSPEL of JESUS.

Many things will necessarily or obviously change when that is clear (seeking to obey God's Word for the GOSPEL - GOOD NEWS of JESUS).
All for the good.

Then if / when everyone is willing to obey God's Word,
give the tithe to the head of the assembly to do with as they please -
so there is not two or three or four heads.

Remember the widow did not use her money to buy food for the hungry, nor even for herself ,
but entrusted everything to YHWH !

Upvote 0

jrmacool

May 1, 2017
Hornell
✟7,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Straight up ask the pastor / leaders if they are willing to obey God and His Word...

it they are willing, stay as long as God permits, and do the work of God's Word/ Salvation/ the GOSPEL of JESUS.

Many things will necessarily or obviously change when that is clear (seeking to obey God's Word for the GOSPEL - GOOD NEWS of JESUS).
All for the good.

Then if / when everyone is willing to obey God's Word,
give the tithe to the head of the assembly to do with as they please -
so there is not two or three or four heads.

Remember the widow did not use her money to buy food for the hungry, nor even for herself ,
but entrusted everything to YHWH !

My desire is to be in line with what God is asking me to do. My problem is not with tithing. My problem stems from listening to the Pastor give a sermon on how we need to put God first, and therefor should tithe 10% without question, but then he takes that money and keeps it, rather than use it for the church and God's people. I struggle with that. Maybe I need God to work on my heart. Or maybe I am being shown this issue to do something about it.

My father in law built his first church from his living room into an AG church building of 300+ people with programs, outreaches, and missions trips. His wife also had a fantastic job that allowed him to focus full time ministry. Now that his finances are different, all I see is the money going to him (what little money there is). There are no outreaches, prayers, functions, etc, unless my wife and I put it on with the help of new christians eager to serve. Some have already asked questions about it... why can we not afford food for a church picnic? Why are we being told the doors will close when the numbers have increase (and though they do not have access to the numbers as our pastor will not share them, we do have an increase in income, but that just goes to restoring his salary to pre-cut numbers). I obviously will not tell these details to the congregation, but it makes it hard when they end up leaving. Maybe because he has reached his 60's this is his retirement plan, but if so, it should not take away from God's kingdom. I feel he should sow the money back into the church and practice what he preaches.

My wife and I have discussed at length, and we do agree that it is wrong. We are on the same page. But with it being her father we have no idea what to do...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PKFox

Child of God
Apr 24, 2017
Michigan
✟20,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone! I have been reading Christianforums for some time now and feel this is the community to seeks answers from as my in person questions have gone unanswered. I will try to give thorough detail, but I am not looking to be negative. If you want to skip the background info, my question is at the bottom.

Let me start by stating this: I believe tithing is necessary, biblical, and rewarding.

I am married to the Pastor's daughter. She is the worship leader at our church and has been for many many years. I first met my wife almost 4 years ago when I came to church for the first time. The church was renting a room from a business each week and struggled with finances. The congregation size at that time was about 25 people, about half hit or miss. This particilar group was the remnants of a much larger congregation, about 300 people, from an AG church that went through a fierce split and shut down after the Pastor (my father in law) divorced his wife after years of neglect and suspected adultery (she ended up marrying the worship pastor in question).
The one thing that stood out to me was the lack of ANYTHING at the weekly services. There were literally chairs and a very small sound system with 2 speakers and a mic. I continued to go as his messages really spoke to me and the worship was just phenomenal (my now wife was leading worship at that time and now travels to sing on top of leading on Sundays). I quickly became involved in the church as there were several areas I was able to help in (I am now the tech director).
Fast forward to today (many things took place between then and now but they are irrelevant to my question). We have a new building that we rent monthly, space for a kids church and nursery. We were in the building for a year with the same chairs and small sound system. As I had become heavily involved, I spoke with the Pastor many times about things the church needed (I say needed because we were losing members due to these specific complaints and could not retain any new members). I was repeatedly told we did not have the money for sound equipment, bibles, basic church signage and decor, or to pay anyone but the Pastor (at this time the amount was not known). We held a church picnic which everyone had to bring all of their own stuff. The church was unable to provide ANYTHING like they always had years before.
Messages about tithing and threats of doors shutting became more frequent. My wife and I were desprate to get the church off the ground. We personally funded a new sound system, repaired entire sections of missing drywall in the building, build a sound booth, built a nursery from scratch, created decor and decorated the church, and started putting on events such as movie nights and community outreaches, all on our own, all out of pocket. The Pastor would continually say we did not have the money for these things so if we wanted to get them we could. Since we invested into these things and organized these events, we have seen an increase to 60 steady members each week, and we grow weekly!

The money we put into the church and the items it needed and the events we put on in the churches name are far far greater than "10%" tithe. We found out that our church brings in around 50k a year from our small congregation, and about 85% of that goes to the Pastor in salary, paying his utilities, and reimbursements to him. The other 15% goes to office supplies and the rent. He does not have another job, nor has he ever. His new wife has had to go get a job to make ends meet.

Here is my question: We are told to be good stewards of our money. To tithe with a cheerful heart. Is it wrong that we put the money into what the church needs instead of tithing it directly to the Pastor? After pouring our time, talents, and treasures into the church, because the Pastor would not, we did start putting our tithe into what the church needed instead of the offering plate. We tithed faithfully for 2 years, in which time the Pastor would not do a single thing for the church, only threatening to close the doors. Once we stopped tithing, he pulled us aside and reprimanded us, saying God would remove his hand of blessing from our lives. That was a year ago. Since then we have continue to make improvements that has lead to explosive growth of our church. We are seeing people give their hearts to Jesus weekly. We wanted to leave the church all together to go to a church more in line with our values, but with him being family it is not that easy. Are we wrong? At what point do we stop being blind and start holding those in position accountable? I have talked with all of the elders, and each one has told me in one way or another that they are just "yes men" and that I should just give my money and let God handle the rest. That to me is turning a blind eye. I understand Pastors should be paid, but taking 85% of the churches money and threatening to close doors after talking about how he "took a pay cut" seems very off to me. My wife and I put about 20 hours a week into the church, purchase all the items for the church, and put on all community events with the help of other members, not the Pastor. If I believe all he says, then God is upset with me for all of these works. If left to Pastor, they would never happen. I feel like it is a matter of what is more important, leading people to God or paying my Pastor's bills.

I am open to all answers and criticism. I am by no means selfish, and I understand everything I have is God's anyways. That is why I spend as much as I do without submitting reimbursement or expecting any acknowledgement of my efforts. I just want to see the people reached and saved and have a place to call home finally.
It sounds like your pastor needs to take a look at the Bible and what it says about using what we're given for the LORD. I think someone needs to confront this pastor about his selfishness. He shouldn't be complaining to the congregation about a "pay cut" when we are told that everything we have belongs to God in the first place. If he's going to complain about the blessings God is giving him in the church, then I think it's better for your money to go towards things that will actually bring people to your church and help them grow closer to God. Also, if he's threatening to close the church because of his personal money issues with the church, let him (as cruel as that may sound). It sounds like he isn't being the best example for the members of the church because he's too concerned with money, and it reminds me of Matthew 6:24 TBH. The Bible doesn't tell us to pay our pastors, but to make disciples. If they're doing their job right, then I think the money should go to support the pastor and the work they're doing, and this has nothing to do with me being a PK, but rather, it's important to support the work the church leaders are doing. If they aren't doing their job of teaching the Bible and leading people to God because they're too worried about money, and they aren't even helping with church events, it sounds to me like the church needs a new pastor. This is just my personal opinion on the matter though, and I understand the difficulties you must be going through being family with him and all.

Also, I don't think it's wrong that your money was going other places than directly tithing. Sometimes, I give my tithe money to other missions that I support and want to help. If you feel your tithe going to pay the preacher isn't going to help the matter or get things done in your church, put it somewhere useful. Personally, my church gives 10% of the money tithed to other missions. This way the church is also giving the way God wants us to, which I feel is how things are supposed to be.

Praying for your situation, and that God will help you through it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Growing up I was a church bus kid and we were taught since we did not have money to tithe, to tithe with our time, so it seems you are doing both...serving God and buying things the church needs. As others have stated tithes is between you and God. Will be praying for you guys. Being a small church has its drawbacks and times. Maybe suggest changes like printouts of where money goes or even just tithe numbers . We have ours in our bulletin.. we average 20 to 40 at our church.

Reactions: PKFox
Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Couple of thoughts. Remember that you are as much a priest/pastor/patriarch worthy of receiving tithes as any other Christian; that is, if you still believe in the idea of tithing.

Glad you and your wife are on the same page.

So, why is this a problem (bolded below)? Are you thinking you can run things better? That may be true, but looks like it won't go anywhere. What would happen if you started a house church and "tithed" that way? Just tell them like when you /wife left before for a church plant, you are doing the same thing. Ask for his blessing to spread the Good News. His answer will clarify things.

-snip-

Upvote 0

jrmacool

May 1, 2017
Hornell
✟7,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all so much for your answers! I have spent so much time wrestling and struggling with this issue. On one hand, I pray and listen and receive direction in my spirit to sow into the church with my time and talents. I know this 110%. This is why I am still here (as well as because my wife is worship leader, and her anointing is so fierce and bold that I am positive she will be on a national stage in the next few years... she has already started that journey). The only part that does not feel right is the continuous giving of money to leadership that will not spare the money to even buy hot dogs for a picnic.

We had a prophetic couple come to our church a few years back. They travel full time spreading prophecy and they are deeply respected. At that time I was told I would be a fisher of men and that my worldly talents would be honed for Gods purposes. About 1.5 years ago I was given a word, while on the other side of the country, by a stranger to me, that I was to learn from my father in law and as I will one day follow a call similar to his, and to be sure I did not "compete" with him during that time of teaching. That has stuck with me and I am very cautious not to let my actions become pride. The hard part is that it seems the only thing I am learning is what NOT to do, but again, that has been the case through most of my life as I was basically fatherless.

So to answer your question Standing Up, I do not feel I could do a better job than him at this particular church. Maybe I could. Maybe I couldn't. In his lifetime he has lead many people to the lord and done amazing things, but that was years ago and his fire is clearly low burning. I want to help. I want to assist in the group for the greater good. I have approached him about this many times but the answer is al

• Friendly
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Footnotes: To use money the way you think and choose to use it, instead of giving freely to the one(s) in charge, may be a way to "compete with him during that time of teaching".

Hopefully, prayerfully, if it comes about,
"on stage" won't be like Joyce and others, or Hinn, etc ....

GOOD examples are rare: Corrie ten Boom, and Elisabeth Elliot, and maybe Nora Lam.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Hi!
Your post makes me happy.
You prefer to be a blessing just as God wants you to be.
We no longer live by the letter but rather by the Spirit,
so... you're good!
Keep walking in the Spirit, against such, there is no law.
IOW, just do as you're led to by your Spirit.
Move forward, don't look behind, be blessed!

Forgive me if my response seems trifling, i truly feel it's legit.
:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How about a curve ball? Deuteronomy 14:22-29
22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
23 And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always.
24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the Lord thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the Lord thy God hath blessed thee:
25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose:
26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
27 And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.
28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

This is an early mention of the tithe. It was a grain, wine and animal offering which was meant to be taken to the temple - or wherever God said- and eaten with the others in a party. It is meant to be a blessing to be shared.
And look closely...you don't give it away. You don't lose it like giving a church 10% of your paycheck. This is a picture of something being taken away from you. Stolen if you will. It is a mischaracterization of God. His true nature is to bless.
I might wonder if true tithing is just sharing what you have with others with a heart of love and charity.

Churches are businesses. They have bills, insurance, employees and as many headaches as a corporation. Not that giving them money is wrong, but I think they misinterpret the meaning of the tithe to get your money.
BTW, I support a local church, so don't think I'm against it. But you just have to look at it from the right perspective.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How about a curve ball? Deuteronomy 14:22-29
22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
23 And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always.
24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the Lord thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the Lord thy God hath blessed thee:
25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose:
26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
27 And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.
28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

This is an early mention of the tithe. It was a grain, wine and animal offering which was meant to be taken to the temple - or wherever God said- and eaten with the others in a party. It is meant to be a blessing to be shared.
And look closely...you don't give it away. You don't lose it like giving a church 10% of your paycheck. This is a picture of something being taken away from you. Stolen if you will. It is a mischaracterization of God. His true nature is to bless.
I might wonder if true tithing is just sharing what you have with others with a heart of love and charity.

Churches are businesses. They have bills, insurance, employees and as many headaches as a corporation. Not that giving them money is wrong, but I think they misinterpret the meaning of the tithe to get your money.
BTW, I support a local church, so don't think I'm against it. But you just have to look at it from the right perspective.

Hi Shempster!
I'm a bit confused about where you say that giving a tenth of your check is a pic of something being taken from you/stolen...A mischaracterization of God>
I agree that it's His nature to bless, and He DID bless with the paycheck, and since it says we're blessed to be a blessing (purpose of our blessing is that we might then bless others?), wouldn't OUR new nature be ..."to bless"?
Forgive me if I misunderstood your point.
Kudos to you for being a blessing in your church fam!

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Shempster!
I'm a bit confused about where you say that giving a tenth of your check is a pic of something being taken from you/stolen...A mischaracterization of God>
I agree that it's His nature to bless, and He DID bless with the paycheck, and since it says we're blessed to be a blessing (purpose of our blessing is that we might then bless others?), wouldn't OUR new nature be ..."to bless"?
Forgive me if I misunderstood your point.
Kudos to you for being a blessing in your church fam!

Yes those were poor choices of words. I meant that if you look at the passage, it doesn't sound like giving something away and getting a tax receipt but rather it looks like it is meant to be shared with all of God's people, thats all.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well tithing in the way churches practice now is unbiblical.

OT tithing was something priests were supposed to do, and the amounts varied.

Churches today throw a flat 10% on there and call it a day, but OT tithing laws said a % of all things... food, drink... etc.

Paul absolutely wrote that all believers should give and give generously from their heart. The amount is up to each individual and God. he alone knows our true intentions and rewards those who give from pure motives no matter how much they do give.

Testimony - I have never been the most financially responsible, but one time I can remember giving an undisclosed amount. Certainly not 10%, far less than that. But I gave what I could. God blessed me and my family with a new vehicle as a result of that offering!

So again, give from your heart. And necessarily give where your heart is leading you... correction where the Spirit is leading you. If you feel your Pastor is being dishonest or whatever with tithes, or if you just want to do something different that is fine.

The CHURCH is not a building. It is not even just the local gathering, it is universal. So giving to "the church" in a biblical sense can be to a Christian charity that supports overseas missions or feeding the poor, etc.

Give By The Spirit

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,283.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
jrmacool, welcome to the forums! Glad you and your wife are in agreeable on this.

My husband and I were very involved in a church that started from a split and we began attending a year or so later. We didn't spend the funds you've mentioned but we supplied things. Personally I think amends have to be made with the original church for Yahweh to really bless the new congregation - even if the members are different.

Prophetic word - things learned definitely includes the way things shouldn't be handled. Hold him accountable? - How comprehensive are the church's by-laws? A board isn't worth anything if they're all "yes" people - major pet peeve of mine. So think one board member needs to be replaced every so often and over a block of time, say 4 years, it's an entirely new board. Don't compete could include members looking to you instead of him. Talking with the elders about this might be considered divisive.

Sounds like the success of his ministry is based somewhat on the efforts you and your wife have made. I mean the congregation expects a nursery, sound system, etc. You know we can do what we think is right but it doesn't mean it's what Yahweh wants. Definitely agree that we need The Holy Spirit's leading.

Did the talks with you about paying tithes occur after the renovations, sound system purchase, etc?

Last edited:
Upvote 0