Status
Not open for further replies.

suzie

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
✟1,406.00
Faith
Christian
, maybe you don't realize that there are two different uses of tongues. One to edify the Body and one to edify a man. If I speak to edify the body then I must have an interpreter, this use of tongues is a sign for the unbeliever. The second use of tongues is what Elnaam is talking about. It is a comunication between man and God and is not for show, but to edify the spirit.

"The use of tongues to edify the body is the Spirit of God talking though the spirit of a man to the body. The use of tongues to edify a man is the spirit of a man talkin to God.

If you reread the scripture with this concept in mind, you will see that it makes perfect sense."

Well said Snup-amen.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"One to edify the Body and one to edify a man"

i do know this. The edification is not of just a man, but HIMSELF. So this should be used in private. The other is to edify the body. So again, My points stand :) This is why Paul says NOT to speak the bable in front of other people, because they CAN'T understand it and it does no good at all 1 cor 14:16-17

This is also why Paul addresses it in the next passage and puts regulations on it.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do I think tongues are still here? YES. Do I think they are used properly as you have told me? No, not accoring to scripture. Unintelliable bablling is not edifying to the body. Paul himself says it is for nonbelievers (1 cor 14:22) So again, it should be taped and given out to people so they might believe with a translator. If you are just talking babble and no one understands it, it is not biblical at all. This is the matter I am addressing. Also in addition to that babbling should be done in private as said in 1 cor 14. This is useless to everyone but the person speaking. Paul himself says that a interpreter is a dire need. If there is not one, don't speak at all. Thus if you can't understand it, it should be in private. Snup, I read those scriptures with that exactly point in mind, and this is the conclusion I reached and this is why I am addressing it. :)

Upvote 0

SnuP

A son of the Most High
Jul 22, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
You are asking elnaam to tape some thing that is private, a man speaking from his spirit to God, and pass it out.  There is a time when tongues are used with an interpreter for the edification of the body.  It is this use of tongues and this use of tongues alone that is for a sign to the unbeliever.  She cannot tape something that is only for her, and pass it around like it was ment for everyone.

Secondly, if all those around you know that you are speaking to God with tongues, then there is no confusion and no need to limit its use.

Tongues comes out of the spirit of a man and is therefore at his disposal, just as his spirit is at his disposal.  To say that it cannot be just turned on and off, is to say that the man does not control his own spirit.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"You are asking elnaam to tape some thing that is private, a man speaking from his spirit to God, and pass it out. "

Noo..he said he did it IN CHRUCH. Ie in front of people. If it is ONLY done in private that's fine, but that's not what he implied. On your second point, yes there is confusion. I don't care what you're doing, if I can't understand you then its confusing, Paul says exactly that in 1 cor 14.

As for your last statement, that is not how tongues are presented on the day of penicost. It over took them, they did not turn it on and off.

Upvote 0

SnuP

A son of the Most High
Jul 22, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have a friend who gave me this testimony.  He was in a worship service, praying (to himself) and worshiping God in tongues.  He had been praying in tongues on a daily basis in his prayer closet for a long time.  At the meeting, a linguist was sitting directly in front of him and heard his quiet use of tongues.  After the service, she notified him that she was able to understand some of what he had been saying in tongues, saying that while some of it sounded like a language that she had never heard, other parts were easy to interpret.  She went on to say that all of the words that she understood were words of worship and praise. 

I checked out the story.  She told me that two of the languages that my friend was speaking were French and Spanish.  Two languages that my friend has no knowledge of.

I got permission from both parties before I posted this testimony.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SnuP

A son of the Most High
Jul 22, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think that you are missing the point.

She was not confused.

If I look at writing in japenese, I am not confused for I know it is japanese.  I don't try to understand it because I understand that I cannot read it.  You only get confused about things you try to understand but can't.

Upvote 0

SnuP

A son of the Most High
Jul 22, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
1 cor. 14:6 "if I come to you speaking in tongues."

It is obvious here that Paul is refering to one person speaking to another person.  Elnaam was speaking to God.  If those around her know that she is speaking to God then they are not confused.  If they think that she is speaking to them, then they are confused.  They would also be confused if she were praying in english and they though that she was talking to them. 

If a korean, that speaks only broken english, is in an english church, would you tell that person that they and they alone are not alowed to pray.  Thats what you say that 1 cor. 14 says.  The way that a person prays is there business alone.  Do not put rules on a person about the way that they pray.  It is none of your business.  

Upvote 0

SnuP

A son of the Most High
Jul 22, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have notice that two thinks happen, within a worship service, when I am under the annointing.

The annointing of God has one real purpose, To draw men unto God.

First I am drawn to repent for duing things my own way, and for failing to draw closer to God.  Second, after repenting, as I am drawn deeper in to the presence of God, tongues spontaneously comes up out of my being.  I will be singing and without relising it I will have transitioned.   Its so natural a thing that to say that it is not the will of God would be foolish.  If I do not repent of my own will then I can never reach the deeper places in His presence.  But in those places, tongues are spontaneous.  If I try to do anything, not in line with God's will I find that I am imediatly out side of His presence again.  It doesn't matter were I am, it always happens this way.

Repentence. worship. tongues. these are the things that bring a person into the presence of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
quote" Secondly, if all those around you know that you are speaking to God with tongues, then there is no confusion and no need to limit its use."

well said. eg in cell grp when we pray out loud in tongues, there will be one or two who do not have the gift, they just pray in their own language and are in no way confused -- becos they accept and believe in tongues. those who want to insist it's conusing simply are against tongues.

quote:"Tongues comes out of the spirit of a man and is therefore at his disposal, just as his spirit is at his disposal.Ê To say that it cannot be just turned on and off, is to say that the man does not control his own spirit."

If one couldnt control it, that wld be freaky!!! and of the devil!

quote:"I checked out the story.Ê She told me that two of the languages that my friend was speaking were French and Spanish.Ê Two languages that my friend has no knowledge of."

Amen! Read many more of such testimonies. ie tongues is not just unintelligible babbling.

Upvote 0

Elnaam

May 26, 2002
Visit site
✟794.00
Originally posted by LouisBooth
Do I think tongues are still here? YES. Do I think they are used properly as you have told me? No, not accoring to scripture. Unintelliable bablling is not edifying to the body. Paul himself says it is for nonbelievers (1 cor 14:22) So again, it should be taped and given out to people so they might believe with a translator. If you are just talking babble and no one understands it, it is not biblical at all. This is the matter I am addressing. Also in addition to that babbling should be done in private as said in 1 cor 14. This is useless to everyone but the person speaking. Paul himself says that a interpreter is a dire need. If there is not one, don't speak at all. Thus if you can't understand it, it should be in private. Snup, I read those scriptures with that exactly point in mind, and this is the conclusion I reached and this is why I am addressing it. :)
You have not understood what I have said, or didn't say, I did not say that we just speak in tongues without interpertation, at a public meeting. I do use tongues in private pray times and there is no Biblical reason why I shouldn't. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Elnaam

May 26, 2002
Visit site
✟794.00
Originally posted by Andrew
quote" Secondly, if all those around you know that you are speaking to God with tongues, then there is no confusion and no need to limit its use."

well said. eg in cell grp when we pray out loud in tongues, there will be one or two who do not have the gift, they just pray in their own language and are in no way confused -- becos they accept and believe in tongues. those who want to insist it's conusing simply are against tongues.

quote:"Tongues comes out of the spirit of a man and is therefore at his disposal, just as his spirit is at his disposal.Ê To say that it cannot be just turned on and off, is to say that the man does not control his own spirit."

If one couldnt control it, that wld be freaky!!! and of the devil!

quote:"I checked out the story.Ê She told me that two of the languages that my friend was speaking were French and Spanish.Ê Two languages that my friend has no knowledge of."

Amen! Read many more of such testimonies. ie tongues is not just unintelligible babbling.
Andrew you have a cell church? :clap:

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"If I look at writing in japenese, I am not confused for I know it is japanese. "

*sigh* are you just not reading the scripture I posted? It doesn't mater if you know it is japanese or not, you don't understand it. That's what Paul is talking about. I guess you just missed that in the chapter...

"It is obvious here that Paul is refering to one person speaking to another person. "

Noo...its not. He says speaking in tongues. What I was refering to is verse 16 in accordance with the context of the rest of the passage.

So, then, SNUP, who translates what you say? If there is on translator, you should be quiet. :)

Upvote 0

SnuP

A son of the Most High
Jul 22, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Louis, I'm sorry that you don't see it (verse 6), event the rest of the verse clarifies it more.  Oh well

As for the other scripture, I understand it to mean, do not pray in tongues in front of some one who is unlearned (to use the word of the King James), because he will think that you are mad (verse 23).  But in the company of the brethren there is no disharmony as verse 23 implies. 

So if the whole church comes together and everyone speakes in tongues, and some who do not understand (those that are unlearned-KJV), or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind.

1 Cor. 14-23  NIV

It seems pretty clear that there was no confussion present in the room untill someone walks in who doesn't know whats going on.  At my church we do not parade tongues in front of unbelievers as you suggest.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.