• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Tithing/Speaking in Tongues

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by greekgal, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpiritPsalmist

SpiritPsalmist Heavy lean toward Messianic Supporter

+1,324
    United States
    Charismatic
    Single
    Thanks Josiah, you are quite correct.

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty!  :clap:

And I'd rather make a mistake, then disobey God. :D  People need to remember the 3 servants that were given talents.  The one who buried it due to fear was called "wicked".

The only people who are not making mistakes are those who are doing nothing.  :angel:

2. LouisBooth

LouisBooth Well-Known Member

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "Lastly I would remark that it is never the intent of believers to step beyond
    clearly understood precept from scripture. But where scripture is silent we may have liberty.
    "

I agree, but in terms of tongues the scriptures are not slient. they are quite clear about it. don't do it unless you have an interperter, and only one at a time. If you want to misuse them in "liberty" that's not biblical at all.

3. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

+21
    Non-Denom
    well said Josiah and Quaffie! ;)

4. SpiritPsalmist

+1,324
    United States
    Charismatic
    Single
    Thanks Andrew,

It never ceases to stump me how those who don't cook think they can instruct those who do  :scratch: :D

5. SavedByGrace3

SavedByGrace3 Whoever calls on the name of Jesus will be saved Supporter

+1,164
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others

I'll have to remember that one... :D

6. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    its pretty easy when you have the ultimate cook book ;)

7. SnuP

SnuP A son of the Most High

+9
    Non-Denom
    When the cook book tells you to use a pinch or a dash and you don't have a clue, well... your still lost.

8. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "When the cook book tells you to use a pinch or a dash and you don't have a clue, well... your still lost.
    "

That's why in this case the "cook book" is very specfic about how much to use, when to use it and why to use it.

9. SnuP

+9
    Non-Denom
    The cook book would be written for those who have ears to hear, just like the bible.

10. SnuP

+9
    Non-Denom
    Then there are those who are just backseat drivers. There afraid to get behind the wheel, but they won't hasitate to tell you how to drive. Somethings just require experience. Like baking a cake. Some without experience might yell for joy that they got the recipe right only to see the cake fall in the oven.

11. josiahdefender

josiahdefender New Member

+0
    Dear Louisbooth:

I fully agree with your statement that tongues/prophecy/interpetation
    must be done decently and in order.
    Order and restraint so that EDIFICATION may have its full effect, and so that God may receive all Glory is paramount to operation of the gifts which we have of God.
    The spirit of the prophets are subject to the prophets, how wonderful is the working of God! We are moved by the Spirit to do his will, yet always
    are we "undercontrol" of ourselves so that what we do is a true sacrifice, obedience or worship. The abuses of some, that have cause so much stir concerning operation of the Gifts has led to their rebuke by the rest of the body of believers. They that are teachable will heed the rebuke to
    govern themselves with respect for the body and honor to Christ.

It is also understood that liberties such as "howling" "kicking chairs"
    "roaring" and such like that have no interpetation so-to-say
    go beyond spiritual liberty and showing itself as religious flesh.
    Spiritual leadership must recognize that "religious flesh" can operate quite
    happily even though genuine liberty and gifting is in operation.
    The litmus test for this is simply "Is the attention being taken AWAY from Christ and place upon themselves"? if this is true, leadership should
    instruct those persons that they have given place to fleshly indulgence
    when the purpose of "public displays of worshipping" CENTER on honoring Christ WITH A MESSAGE or ACTION of edification for the believers AND a clear testimony of Gods presents being revered.

The fact that church services sometime denote a kind of "playground" in which believers may behave after some manner that is acceptable with leadership doesnt necessarily PROVE that agreement with scriptures is automatic. It is right that we govern ourselves by study of scripture and exhorting one another on how we might ALWAYS show godly fear and intense devotion to our Lord.
    Iam a Charismatic/pentecostal believer. But I have no tolerance for "fleshly
    religion" that seeks to again the approval of men because it "looks"
    like something authentic from God.
    I fully understand the rebuke of my bapist brothers who just whince at
    what is allowed under the guise of "the power of God".
    But with that said I will not remove tongue or prophecy from the service because of abuses of some, in fact the letters to the corinthians were "corrections" to THEIR ABUSES. I will seek orderly proper edification for the flock as well as seeing how God uses others in different ways
    to glorify himself through them.
    Josiah

12. SpiritPsalmist

+1,324
    United States
    Charismatic
    Single
    Wow, I did'nt think things could go so far with that "cooking issue".  It came to me just at the moment I wrote it.  

What's the point of the cook book, having all the right measurements and then not cooking?  But yet, always ready to criticize those who are at least trying. 

Again, the only one's who are not making mistakes are those who are doing nothing.

13. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "Somethings just require experience. "

Good thing tongues don't require experience, we have it all in the bible :)

14. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "But with that said I will not remove tongue or prophecy from the service because of abuses of some, in fact the letters to the corinthians were "corrections" to THEIR ABUSES. "

Exactly, BUT those are guidlines set down for us to follow, not to be tossed to the roadside in an attempt to please people. That's whY i keep posting about them. It is wrong to have a service where more then one person speaks in tongues at a time because that's what the bible says.

15. SnuP

+9
    Non-Denom
    That what your interpretation of one scripture says to you.

Please try not to run down every one elses view point with an all inclusive phrase that makes you look like the only authority on the scriptures. Its fine to have different opinions, but the scripture is open to interpretation with out the Holy Spirit teaching. To say that you have a monopoly on what the word says is to say that the rest of us don't have the Holy Spirit or the ability to listen. That's very insulting.

16. SpiritPsalmist

+1,324
    United States
    Charismatic
    Single
    Well said Snup and I agree whole heartedly.

I've heard so many different versions of this same scripture and each makes sense at the time.  No one has the only interpretation to any scripture.  I belive that's why we are told to "work out our own salvation with fear and trembling".  We each will answer to God for ourselves.

17. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "That what your interpretation of one scripture says to you."

Umm...that's what the text says by itself. if i say , "don't eat turkey after sundown" there is no interpreation needed. The text here is self-explanitory.

18. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

+21
    Non-Denom
    "I've heard so many different versions of this same scripture and each makes sense at the time.Ê No one has the only interpretation to any scripture.Ê"

AMEN Quaffie! The Word truly comes alive and is dynamic when the Holy Spirit is involved. ;)

19. rapturefish

rapturefish Kingdom Citizen, Spiritual Nomad

+45
    Australia
    Presbyterian
    Single
    1. No. By teaching his disciples that the widow who gave her 2c gave more than the rich who proportionatey gave much less (Mark 12), Jesus was saying we should give out of our poverty. The pharisees loved to literally divide everything they had into an exact 10% amount and prided themselves on that 10% they so exactly gave.

But Jesus admired the widow - she gave her best to God, not the leftovers. the principle is more important - if you wish to use 10% that's fine, but however you do it, give your best to God. And according to Malachi 3:6-12, see if God will not just flood you with blessings when you do so. It's a wonderful promise - give your best to God, and God will give you even more in which to give away to Him!

2. Yes, some do. Not all, but all could potentially. If you do, you are not more spiritual, more better, more mature, more holy or godly - you simply have another language in which to praise God, a gracious gift of the Holy Spirit. Those who do should not lord it over those who don't, and those who don't should be encouraged to seek the gift by believing and being convinced that if they ask they really could receive spiritual gifts, including tongues.

1 Corinthians 14:1 Paul says to eagerly desire spiritual gifts. He does not forbid tongues. It edifies one's spirit, it is a language between you and God, one does not know what they are saying as it is not a language of the mind but from our spirits directly to God's Spirit. It enables us to pray, praise and sing to God where our normal words fail. It helps us to pray when we don't know how or what to pray. There are guidelines in a church setting - if spoken in church it should be interpreted so that the rest of the church can understand. If you don't know the interpretation you are encouraged to pray for it.

It's a wonderful and much shunned gift that shouldn't be. A spiritual language in which to speak to God and be edified so that we can be effective in our christian walk is a wonderful thing. And a gift of grace.

blessings,

20. SnuP

+9
    Non-Denom
    It does not make you less of a christian, It does mean that less of you is Christ like. The gift of tongues proves that the Holy Spirit has been released into more areas of your life, then someone without it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.