• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Time to chuck out the tv?

Discussion in 'UK and Ireland' started by hiscosmicgoldfish2, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Catherineanne

Catherineanne Well-Known Member

+4,397
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Widowed
    :thumbsup:

2. Catherineanne

+4,397
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Widowed
    Did it have Iggle Piggle telling Upsy Daisy that Our Lord did not actually say the words of the Beatitudes?

If not, and it featured dusty people having a dusty discussion around a dusty table, then it was clearly not aimed at children. ^_^

3. Catherineanne

+4,397
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Widowed
    Actually, you are mistaken. Songs of Praise features both testimony by active Christians from all denominations, and music from all traditions, including modern Christian. It is as inclusive of all Christians in the UK as it can possibly be, without being selective and therefore excluding some.

How you can criticise what you clearly know nothing about is beyond me.

^_^

4. Catherineanne

+4,397
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Widowed
    Are you not aware that programme watching is optional, not compulsory?
    :confused:

Telly reflects attitude, it does not create it. People get the television they deserve. If you are watching a programme, then you deserve to watch it. If you think you do not deserve to watch it, switch it off.

There is much on telly that I would regard as the equivalent of watching a public hanging. The answer is, don't watch it. The reason it is there is that people are watching. If we stop watching, it will no longer be made.

There are nasty books in the bookshop, nasty magazines in the paper shop. Leave them on the shelf. Same with the programmes you don't like.

How is this so hard to understand?

5. RyanLeeParis

RyanLeeParis Guest

+0
    TV is all about earthly things, also news. Very rarely will you find a form of spirituality on TV. And let's face it, stations show things they know will sell, like action movies and sex. It's how they make money. TV may suck, but you can always turn the channel or watch something else worthwhile.

6. Catherineanne

+4,397
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Widowed
    Quite right.

You can find spirituality nowhere if you do not find it first within yourself.

A spiritual person can find programmes that are in tune with his or her spirituality, if they want to. Personally, I am not sure that is what I watch telly for.

7. Glad to see there are some chucking the tv out. Anyone who cannot see an anti-christ agenda on the TV today, and just scoffs at the idea, is not a christian. I heard someone in the church the other day protest about some TV program the night before, that was so offensive, that they felt the need to speak out about it. I don't know what the program was, as I dont watch the TV much any more, except for 'Never mind the Buzzcocks'. Someone said to me recently how terrible that program was, and that they wrote in a complaint, because of their anti-christian comments.. well those people have those opinions about christianity, that's their personal view, and is not an anti-christian agenda, being worked by the managers of the TV stations.. that is something else, which is going on now. It's like Alan Watt says.. you come out of the matrix, and can see what's going on around you. Agenas being worked, sometimes cleverly and subliminal, other times just 'in your face'.. more so now. There's another thing I found out recently.. if you overload someone with information, so much so, the brain can't handle it, and sort of goes into another torpid state.. just one example of this is that stupid script running along the bottom of the screen on news programs, with someone speaking at the same time.. all deleberate and for another purpose.
    If there are any programs on about near-death; you'll never hear anything about those people who went to hell and back. All you'll hear about is those that saw nirvana.

8. artybloke

artybloke Well-Known Member

+427
    Christian Seeker
    UK-Labour
    What gives you the right to say who is and isn't a Christian? Who died and made you God?

All the rest is just the usual fundie persecution complex stuff...

9. No it isn't.. you are wrong.

10. shout2thelord

shout2thelord adopted aussie :)

+27
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    I agree with many here that its just about choosing what you watch. You gotta be careful where your getting your news from though. I try to not watch the BBC on grounds of principal. If i want news i watch a live stream of fox news and use the internet. occaisionally watch sky news to, to get a bit of a british perspective.

But i like to watch crime shows CSI miami and law and order SVU, criminal minds and so on. for me its about justice. so i think they are ok.

you gotta be careful what you watch but at the same time you cant shut yourself off from the world.

11. LoisGriffin

LoisGriffin I am not a sheep! I follow only one!

+242
    Christian
    Married
    :D Well this one quote has convinced me!

12. uberd00b

uberd00b The Emperor has no clothes.

+221
    Taoist
    Single
    *choke splutter*:eek:

13. shout2thelord

+27
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    Yes i prefer not to watch tax payer funded left wing propaganda.

14. artybloke

artybloke Well-Known Member

+427
    Christian Seeker
    UK-Labour
    As opposed to a bunch of right-wing bozos with the brain cells of an amoeba, I suppose...

15. shout2thelord

+27
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    This is why its impossible to have debate with liberals, their only response is to use personal insults.

16. MarcusHill

MarcusHill Educator and learner

+73
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    I think you'll find that we're merely expressing astonishment that anyone could claim the BBC is biased and then immediately say that Fox - the most notoriously biased news source in the world - is any better.

17. shout2thelord

+27
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    See the statistics on the US election thread showing fox was the least biased channel in the elections. In the UK we only have the BBCs investigation into itself that funnily enough found it wasnt biased mmmmm. I would watch channel 4 over BBC but fox is the best it still has some obama worship but not as bad as the other channels.

18. Good. I'm glad you agree with me now. If the BBC is bad.. Fox is worse and the worse of all is CNN. The BBC were caught censoring the interview with Frost and Bhutto, .. the interview went out live, and they cut out the bit where Bhutto said that Bin Laden had been murdered.. The post was on you-tube, ...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMiuFx6rQbE

FOX is the worse tv in the history of the world.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2008
  19. X=?

X=? A voice crying in the wilderness.

+13
    Christian
    In Relationship
    My biggest TV gripe are soaps operas I find them a pile of life draining plop, I am not interested in extreme artificial life on the box where everyone has had some sort of relationship with each other except the Pub dog. It seems to portray a perverse exagerated life. 1 hour and 30 mins of someones time can be wasted watching corrie, eastenders and emerdale (order not sure of).

TV now is used for watching documentaries mostly on history and DVDs.

Rest is has no interest value to me. Too much material stuff in this world. Which reminds me I have to bin my Offspring and Greenday albums, after all its just stuff.

20. procrastin8nturtle

procrastin8nturtle Unbaptized Witness

+9
    Jehovahs Witness
    Married
    I love documentaries, although if it is good subject it could keep me glued to the t.v. for hours. My children and I enjoy watching animal shows also. Can be educational and fun at the same time.