Time to chuck out the tv?

H

hiscosmicgoldfish2

Is it time for us to chuck out the tv? I will not buy a new one when this one i have conks out. The UK tv is now an anti-christ group. There is nothing on the tv that is not anti-christian. It's worse from the USA but i wont get into that.
the religious stuff...
eg. The recent program about Mary Magdelane.. 'the myth of the empty tomb' Mary M. as the founder of christianity because of her vision of Jesus outside the tomb.
The BBC mini series drama about Jesus over easter... Jesus has much remorse over the plight of Judas.
And also it's just all rubbish now. I have resorted to start watching Polish films-DVDs. The Hollywood agenda is anti-christ. Which is to be expected if none of them are christians and most are scientologists, with it's links to Alester Crowley.. gnostic/ satanic agenda from Hollywood.. no thanks..
And another thing that gets up my nose... the amount of time given to that raging anti-christ Dawkins.. I give up.. out goes the tv..

LoisGriffin

I am not a sheep! I follow only one!
Jul 1, 2008
United Kingdom
✟10,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good thing about tv is you get to choose what you wish to watch. If you don't like what you are watching then just change the channel. The majority of tv does not have anything to do with religion.

Right now I love documentaries. I Sky plus them and watch whenever I feel like.

And then of course there is sports.

Upvote 0
H

hiscosmicgoldfish2

Good thing about tv is you get to choose what you wish to watch. If you don't like what you are watching then just change the channel. The majority of tv does not have anything to do with religion.

Right now I love documentaries. I Sky plus them and watch whenever I feel like.

And then of course there is sports.

for someone interested in religion.. tv has a lot to do with religion. I am not interested in watching rubbish.. i havn't seen anything worth watching for the last year.. change the channel and look at rubbish..
however there is a program on about the 'mappunguarri' .. a one eyed cyclopx monster from america,
i'll keep watching out in case they go looking for chupacabras...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Is it time for us to chuck out the tv? I will not buy a new one when this one i have conks out. The UK tv is now an anti-christ group. There is nothing on the tv that is not anti-christian. It's worse from the USA but i wont get into that.
the religious stuff...
eg. The recent program about Mary Magdelane.. 'the myth of the empty tomb' Mary M. as the founder of christianity because of her vision of Jesus outside the tomb.
The BBC mini series drama about Jesus over easter... Jesus has much remorse over the plight of Judas.
And also it's just all rubbish now. I have resorted to start watching Polish films-DVDs. The Hollywood agenda is anti-christ. Which is to be expected if none of them are christians and most are scientologists, with it's links to Alester Crowley.. gnostic/ satanic agenda from Hollywood.. no thanks..
And another thing that gets up my nose... the amount of time given to that raging anti-christ Dawkins.. I give up.. out goes the tv..

I can relate.... :)

Right now I've resorted to watching selective programs on the Christian channels (e.g. Chuck Missler, Dwight Pryor etc), and the occasional Historic programme. I'll catch the BBC news but that's pretty much it.

Other than that it's my books :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Dexter series 2+3, Tudors, Ultimate fighter, Everybody hates Chris etc.... there are a good fews show I have Sky+. Sure they don't represent Christ in any way, but I find them entertainig. The irony of course being that many of the Christians channels, with the possible exception of UCB are promoting messages that I feel do go against the fundamental teachings of Jesus.

If I happen to watch an episode of The Wire (which is excellent) I do not feel condemned to an enternity to hell. If on the other hand, I was ever to sit with my 12 year old daughter and watch the X-Factor, then by all means may hell open it's jaws and swallow me up :)

Upvote 0
H

hiscosmicgoldfish2

I watch the Tudors as well.. I dont have any christian channels and wouldn't watch them anyway. 'Not into dodgy revivals, love gifts or rapture-snapture. I'm really getting at any-christian tv programs, where the message, if it has anything to do with religion, is usually anti-christian. I think it might be that nobody complains, as there arn't any christians left in the UK. There was a program on some time ago which was by that guy that played Baldrick on Black Adder.. he was saying that st. John the writer of Rev. was off his head on magic mushrooms.. even my dad laughed at that, and he was a total athiest...
the most offensive anti-christian program I've ever seen, was on channel 4, and it was a 'board' of anti-christians, cosy'ing up with each other, muslim, jew and athiest.. and trying to totally deconstruct the gospel and say 'Jesus' didn't say this.. and that was nearly all of it.. what made it worse was that it was on at a time when all the school children would be watching it... now it's ok to have a go at us adults because we are able to form our own opinions based on evidence.. but to target school children.. as Richard Dawkins is also allowed to do.. is not right.. you must present both sides of the argument...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[hiscosmicgoldfish2]I watch the Tudors as well.. I dont have any christian channels and wouldn't watch them anyway. 'Not into dodgy revivals, love gifts or rapture-snapture. I'm really getting at any-christian tv programs, where the message, if it has anything to do with religion, is usually anti-christian. I think it might be that nobody complains, as there arn't any christians left in the UK. There was a program on some time ago which was by that guy that played Baldrick on Black Adder.. he was saying that st. John the writer of Rev. was off his head on magic mushrooms.. even my dad laughed at that, and he was a total athiest...
the most offensive anti-christian program I've ever seen, was on channel 4, and it was a 'board' of anti-christians, cosy'ing up with each other, muslim, jew and athiest.. and trying to totally deconstruct the gospel and say 'Jesus' didn't say this.. and that was nearly all of it.. what made it worse was that it was on at a time when all the school children would be watching it... now it's ok to have a go at us adults because we are able to form our own opinions based on evidence.. but to target school children.. as Richard Dawkins is also allowed to do.. is not right.. you must present both sides of the argument...

In case you haven't already noticed, we live in a secular society. Religion as a whole gets a bad rap by one and all, but if you are secure in your faith (as I am) and you are absolutely assured that Jesus is the only way (as I am) then I would take the very wise words of our Lord Himself and bless those that persecute or revile you.

I am in no way affected by the ramblings of any secular broadcaster or atheist. I don't lose sleep over people being "mean" about Jesus. In terms of Christians complaining. They do and have done for years. The Jerry Springer Opera is a more infamous example of the evangelical right brandishing their Bibles and stomping their feet. My advice to you would be that you shouldn't allow these things to overly concern you

Upvote 0
H

hiscosmicgoldfish2

In case you haven't already noticed, we live in a secular society. Religion as a whole gets a bad rap by one and all, but if you are secure in your faith (as I am) and you are absolutely assured that Jesus is the only way (as I am) then I would take the very wise words of our Lord Himself and bless those that persecute or revile you.

I am in no way affected by the ramblings of any secular broadcaster or atheist. I don't lose sleep over people being "mean" about Jesus. In terms of Christians complaining. They do and have done for years. The Jerry Springer Opera is a more infamous example of the evangelical right brandishing their Bibles and stomping their feet. My advice to you would be that you shouldn't allow these things to overly concern you

you mean pray for those that persecute you? I don't think I could bless any of these characters... but that's just me.. I suppose you'r right, they will continue to ramble on, and it probably dosn't effect anyone's views anyway.. just a pity they cant seem to be able to make any religious programs of quality..
and then christianity is fair game, and they know it, because we're nice peace-loving types, and christianity has the intellectual force so as not to be effected by the gutter-snipe media, and that's the way it's always been.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarcusHill

Educator and learner
May 1, 2007
Manchester
✟16,512.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It's interesting to see the other point of view. Living as we do in a nation where religion is given undue deference and respect simply due to the fact that it's religion, a nation where my license fee pays for Songs of Praise and Thought for the Day, I welcome programmes where a more balanced view based on rationality rather than emotion is posited. The corollary of the historic deference paid to religion, of course, is that any programme where even the slightest criticism, however well founded, is put to religion is viewed as an "attack".

Mind you, there's a whole load of speculative tripe put out under the banner of "documentaries", and claiming that St. John was ripped on 'shrooms is one such. There is no evidence that he used mushrooms, it could have been any other hallucinogen or a result of ascetic meditation techniques.

Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[hiscosmicgoldfish2]
you mean pray for those that persecute you? I don't think I could bless any of these characters... but that's just me..

Bless, pray opr whatever. The point being, Jesus was more upset with the pharisees than He was with those that didn't believe. Faith brings both freedom and liberty. Television programmes that set out to paint Christianity in a negative light are commonplace nowadays. People are offended by the cross and this is their way to cast doubt upon those of us with strongly held convictions. I seriously wouldn't let it bother me.

just a pity they cant seem to be able to make any religious programs of quality..

I'm not sure why you feel this would be necessary. Who cares?

and then christianity is fair game, and they know it, because we're nice peace-loving types, and christianity has the intellectual force so as not to be effected by the gutter-snipe media, and that's the way it's always been.

It is fair game.... Comedians and critics alike would never openly ridicule Islam the way they do Christianity, but that's ok as far as I'm concerned. Freedom of speech is a healthy component of any democratic society. If they want to critique our faith in Christ, let them. It has no bearing on my relationship with our Lord whatsoever :)

Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[MarcusHill]It's interesting to see the other point of view. Living as we do in a nation where religion is given undue deference and respect simply due to the fact that it's religion, a nation where my license fee pays for Songs of Praise and Thought for the Day,

I was wondering when SoP would rear it's head. I guess we are asking for a lot, considering the amount of quality Christian programming we have from the BBC. Na....I'm sorry I don't buy for one second that people are bothered about SoP or heaven forbid a thought for a day being part of the BBC's remit. That really would be pathetic.

Upvote 0
H

hiscosmicgoldfish2

I suppose there must be a lot of people that like songs of praise.. i think it's totally boring. :liturgy:

I'm not sure why you feel this would be necessary. Who cares?

Sometimes people do make a program about christianity with some valid observations.. there was one a while back by 'raggi omah' I think he's called.. that was interesting, not scandalous..
I recon Baldric just says anything that they tell him to say.. I've seen him do programs one time in support of, next time the opposite..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarcusHill

Educator and learner
May 1, 2007
Manchester
✟16,512.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Don't get me wrong, I really don't give a stuff about SoP. TftD, on the other hand, is a bit off as it invites cogitations from every tiny minority religious view but steadfastly refuses to invite cogitations on the significance of current affairs from an atheist or humanist perspective. Unlike SoP, which sits in a televisual graveyard slot, TftD sits bang in the middle of one of the most widely respected sources of news and commentary in the country.

However, this is a little beside the point. I wasn't so much griping about SoP and TftD as pointing at the glaring, unmissable counterexample (dull or otherwise) to the claim that all TV is anti-Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MarcusHill

Educator and learner
May 1, 2007
Manchester
✟16,512.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
to the claim that all TV is anti-Christian.

it is..:liturgy:

Go on, explain how Songs of Praise is anti-Christian in intent. Or do you really think the producers are secretly rubbing their hands and cackling about how they're killing church attendance by making it seem so dull?

Upvote 0
H

hiscosmicgoldfish2

Go on, explain how Songs of Praise is anti-Christian in intent. Or do you really think the producers are secretly rubbing their hands and cackling about how they're killing church attendance by making it seem so dull?

actually yes.. but for most that is too conspiratorial.. but you'v got it there.. it dosn't represent modern religious music, and it's just a joke, being it's such a bore.. a bit like an institution.. harmless i suppose..
i think they have a history of the 'God slot' where they put on these programs.. and everyone switches it off.. so what's the point? or am I wrong.. SOP is watched by millions? perhaps it is.. :liturgy:

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2008
Orkney, Scotland
✟10,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
actually yes.. but for most that is too conspiratorial.. but you'v got it there.. it dosn't represent modern religious music, and it's just a joke, being it's such a bore.. a bit like an institution.. harmless i suppose..
i think they have a history of the 'God slot' where they put on these programs.. and everyone switches it off.. so what's the point? or am I wrong.. SOP is watched by millions? perhaps it is.. :liturgy:

It seems to me that you've decided not to watch any religious programme as you believe that there are alterior motives behind them, correct? Or that fact almost any other TV, would it not be more ecconomical and less tempting if rid yourself of the TV now and ask for a refund on your licence?

Upvote 0