Dec 12, 2008
UK
Visit site
✟7,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I love documentaries, although if it is good subject it could keep me glued to the t.v. for hours. My children and I enjoy watching animal shows also. Can be educational and fun at the same time.

Sky seems to hold the sway to usefulness, it has quite a lot of Doc channels.

Upvote 0

lostaquarium

Quite flawed
Dec 23, 2008
London
✟12,572.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can see where you're coming from, most TV programs are ridiculous. Occasionally there is really good stuff, though. I live without a TV when I'm away at university, and I don't miss it. However I do enjoy it when I'm home. It's good for news, old films, and the occasional episode of House.

Upvote 0

Wednesday

Heretic
Dec 17, 2007
✟8,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
To be perfectly honest, I am considering moving to UK in not too distant future. I am here now.

One of the reasons being, far superior programming. BBC rocks! (Although, not the people who are running it).

UK is brilliant. Secular nation, only surpassed by Sweden and Netherlands. You won every battle there was to win. Good on you.

Upvote 0

coastalwanderer

Per Mare Per Ecclesiam
Jan 18, 2009
Christminster
✟10,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Apart from two years when I was in a flatshare with people who insisted on having one, I've not had a TV in my living space since I left my parents' home - so for the best part of 15 years. I really feel that the box, first, often serves as an unwelcome and inappropriate focal point, physically (and in terms of energy-draining), in the home, and, second, as a source of "inspiration" (which term I use in a broad sense) for all manner of inane and trivial conversations I am quite happy to remain outside.

No regrets whatsoever about that. And while at first I found the monthly abusive (and apparently threatening) letters from TV Licensing (who essentially refuse to believe anyone who tells them they do not have a TV or TV-receiving equipment) intimidating (which they are intended to be) and offensive (which indeed they are), now I just chuck em straight in the recycling bin.

I wouldn't completely rule out getting one in the future, but for now - absolutely no need whatsoever

Upvote 0
H

hiscosmicgoldfish2

It's not just that it's become very offensive for the minority group in the UK called Christians, there just isn't anything on it any more. Where have all the wildlife progs. gone? Perhaps it's just me changing and becoming a 'grumpy old git' .. i do like that program, but i dunno.. demons, seances, ghost hunting, inappropriate content, cops shows, street crime shows, old horror films and films which everyone has already seen, and the news, which is only slightly better than the US non-reporting.. you wont find any reports, even on the net, from the US criticising israel. And when the Russians invaded american waters before xmas.. nobody knew about it, and it was all Russia's fault, what was going on in Georgia. And then the BBC censor Bhuto's report that Bin Laden is dead.. covered it up.

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It's not just that it's become very offensive for the minority group in the UK called Christians, there just isn't anything on it any more. Where have all the wildlife progs. gone? Perhaps it's just me changing and becoming a 'grumpy old git' .. i do like that program, but i dunno.. demons, seances, ghost hunting, inappropriate content, cops shows, street crime shows, old horror films and films which everyone has already seen, and the news, which is only slightly better than the US non-reporting.. you wont find any reports, even on the net, from the US criticising israel. And when the Russians invaded american waters before xmas.. nobody knew about it, and it was all Russia's fault, what was going on in Georgia. And then the BBC censor Bhuto's report that Bin Laden is dead.. covered it up.

Have you finished moaning yet? Why don't you just chuck it out and be done with it? If as a Christian you want to disengage with the culture of today then fine, can you spare us the whinging in the meantime?

Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[shout2thelord]See the statistics on the US election thread showing fox was the least biased channel in the elections.

:D

fox is the best it still has some obama worship but not as bad as the other channels.

The fact that you have Sarah Palin as you're avater speaks volumes. It all makes perfect sense now......

Upvote 0

hiscosmicgoldfish

Liberal Anglican
Mar 1, 2008
✟11,767.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Have you finished moaning yet? Why don't you just chuck it out and be done with it? If as a Christian you want to disengage with the culture of today then fine, can you spare us the whinging in the meantime?

I think i'll keep the tv.. as i might need it for when i can afford to get a PS3. But i am quitting the internet in April.. can't afford it, and i dont use it much, except to come here and moan about the tv programs.

Upvote 0