Time to chuck out the tv?

H

hiscosmicgoldfish2

It seems to me that you've decided not to watch any religious programme as you believe that there are alterior motives behind them, correct? Or that fact almost any other TV, would it not be more ecconomical and less tempting if rid yourself of the TV now and ask for a refund on your licence?

I'll wait for the tv i have now to conk out.. i just won't repace it.. i will miss a few programs.. like 'never mind the buzzcocks' .. room 101, 'have i got news for you', but you can get most programs on-line now anyway, so more selective.. and same with films.. just watched 'Apocalypto'.. brilliant.. but i bought that at the video shop. And got a lot of classic films also. Dont like the way the US Hollywood films have become so foul-mouthed, it's terrible, and I am in no way a prude... it's just the worse possible obscene language on their films now.. and I dont have to watch them.. so i wont.. case in point.. 'Office Space' watched recently.. about computer nerds working in an office.. using the worst depraved language possible.. and that is Hollywood now.. a corrupting agenda.. so that it becomes normal and unquestioned in the population to act like that.. it's so common.. Hollywood has an anti-christian agenda the same as the tv companies.. you can ignore a lot of it, but it's when it becomes really offensive.. all the time.. that i have noticed of late..

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2008
Orkney, Scotland
✟10,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'll wait for the tv i have now to conk out.. i just won't repace it.. i will miss a few programs.. like 'never mind the buzzcocks' .. room 101, 'have i got news for you', but you can get most programs on-line now anyway, so more selective.. and same with films.. just watched 'Apocalypto'.. brilliant.. but i bought that at the video shop. And got a lot of classic films also. Dont like the way the US Hollywood films have become so foul-mouthed, it's terrible, and I am in no way a prude... it's just the worse possible obscene language on their films now.. and I dont have to watch them.. so i wont.. case in point.. 'Office Space' watched recently.. about computer nerds working in an office.. using the worst depraved language possible.. and that is Hollywood now.. a corrupting agenda.. so that it becomes normal and unquestioned in the population to act like that.. it's so common.. Hollywood has an anti-christian agenda the same as the tv companies.. you can ignore a lot of it, but it's when it becomes really offensive.. all the time.. that i have noticed of late..

Now I believe that we are on the same wavelengths, I agree totally a lot of the films have replaced the script(? do they have scripts?) with a few repetitive explitives. Most of my DVD's go back to the good old films where foul mouths were rare(were slapped with an X-Certificate, now 18 of course. Even the daft films such as Death Race 2000, made back in the 70's was entertaining. There are a few good films being made but you have to look for them. We tend to watch Dave, ITV 3 and ITV 4 quite a lot, as they have a lot of retro. I agree there is a lot of stuff on the Internet, but again you have to sift the chaff from the wheat. The only problem with DVD's is that you require the TV and for that you have to buy a licence. I know that computers can play films, as well as mini-DVD players and games machines such Play Stations (Which I admit owning all three player, comp and PS) but it is nice to see it via the tv. I fear that we will be long gone before anyone comes to their senses where tv progs are concerned, stupid reality and SOPs are here to bug I fear for all eternity, perhaps that is what happens if we land up in hell!!!

Upvote 0
H

hiscosmicgoldfish2

Now I believe that we are on the same wavelengths, I agree totally a lot of the films have replaced the script(? do they have scripts?) with a few repetitive explitives. Most of my DVD's go back to the good old films where foul mouths were rare(were slapped with an X-Certificate, now 18 of course. Even the daft films such as Death Race 2000, made back in the 70's was entertaining. There are a few good films being made but you have to look for them. We tend to watch Dave, ITV 3 and ITV 4 quite a lot, as they have a lot of retro. I agree there is a lot of stuff on the Internet, but again you have to sift the chaff from the wheat. The only problem with DVD's is that you require the TV and for that you have to buy a licence. I know that computers can play films, as well as mini-DVD players and games machines such Play Stations (Which I admit owning all three player, comp and PS) but it is nice to see it via the tv. I fear that we will be long gone before anyone comes to their senses where tv progs are concerned, stupid reality and SOPs are here to bug I fear for all eternity, perhaps that is what happens if we land up in hell!!!

You can buy a 24'' computer wide-screen monitor now, so don't need a tv.. I bought my tv a few years ago, it's a wide screen 28'' which gives a sort of cinema-like feel. I don't think personally it's worth the licence, but then i don't watch sports, and don't bother watching the news.. just read th headlines on-line, if there are any.. I think bad language is acceptable, if it is in context.. I saw a film last night.. Altered, and the language was very strong, but it was in context.. the characters had depth, they were rough-neck hillbillies, that captured an alien in the woods.. For me it's when it is unnecessary, gratuatous i think is the word.. office workers carrying on like no office workers on earth acts.. that sort of thing.. just to promote bad language.. violence dosn't bother me again.. as long as it is in the context appropriate.. and supports a story, and is not the story itself.. violence without any story or plot appeals to brain-dead people who will watch anything and think it's good..

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2008
Orkney, Scotland
✟10,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've always enjoyed good horror films, but the problem these days they are just sadistic in content with no real story line, an example of this is Hostel or the Saw. I admit to being partially guilty in buying these films, it is cheaper to buy the DVD [espicially when they are no longer in the charts] than goo to the cinema. We only have the Freeview Box, but the use of the computer has now become worth having in the respect of paying for Broadband. I don't know about you but I was bought up on TV but when I was younger we watched as a family, that is something that is now missing.

Upvote 0

TeutonKnight

Crusading Knight
Sep 21, 2008
Belfast
Visit site
✟7,806.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Is it time for us to chuck out the tv? I will not buy a new one when this one i have conks out. The UK tv is now an anti-christ group. There is nothing on the tv that is not anti-christian. It's worse from the USA but i wont get into that.
the religious stuff...
eg. The recent program about Mary Magdelane.. 'the myth of the empty tomb' Mary M. as the founder of christianity because of her vision of Jesus outside the tomb.
The BBC mini series drama about Jesus over easter... Jesus has much remorse over the plight of Judas.
And also it's just all rubbish now. I have resorted to start watching Polish films-DVDs. The Hollywood agenda is anti-christ. Which is to be expected if none of them are christians and most are scientologists, with it's links to Alester Crowley.. gnostic/ satanic agenda from Hollywood.. no thanks..
And another thing that gets up my nose... the amount of time given to that raging anti-christ Dawkins.. I give up.. out goes the tv..

I agree with you that there has been a downward trend in British Television over recent years more so since the bombings in London where it would appear that the key is not to offend British Muslims but as for British Christians they are not so scary (that I think is the general attitude in the BBC)

However I am in agreement with Paxman when he says that TV should serve a Moral purpose but considering the rubbish they put on and its glorification of a secular state I have yet to see it.

Upvote 0

uberd00b

The Emperor has no clothes.
Oct 14, 2006
Newcastle, UK
✟22,308.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
However I am in agreement with Paxman when he says that TV should serve a Moral purpose but considering the rubbish they put on and its glorification of a secular state I have yet to see it.
Oh come now, glorifying a secular state IS a moral purpose. :cool:

Upvote 0

TeutonKnight

Crusading Knight
Sep 21, 2008
Belfast
Visit site
✟7,806.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Oh come now, glorifying a secular state IS a moral purpose. :cool:

With programes such as Mr Kyle it would almost be complete . Aside from anything else I really think the UK TV channels are dumbing down. I mean for example the latest craze "Deal or No deal", there is no skill in that its just pure guess work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2008
Orkney, Scotland
✟10,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
With programes lsuch as Mr Kyle it would almost be complete . Aside from anything else I really think the UK TV channels are dumbing down. I mean for example the lates craze Deal or No deal, there is no skill in that its just pure guess work.

That's because they do not want a thinking audiance any more. The easiest way to get a solid rating is to make the quiz shows easy with a carrot of a big prize. This is another reason why soaps are popular, the general addicted viewer is not able to discern reality from fiction. I remember seeing stuff on the news a few years back when i Coronation Street (I think) a character was sent to prison and it was actually mentioned in parliament. This how stupid and influential nonsense programmes are getting!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TeutonKnight

Crusading Knight
Sep 21, 2008
Belfast
Visit site
✟7,806.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
That's because they do not want a thinking audiance any more. The easiest way to get a solid rating is to make the quiz shows easy with a carrot of a big prize. This is another reason why soaps are popular, the general addicted viewer is not able to discern reality from fiction. I remember seeing stuff on the news a few years back when i Coronation Street (I think) a character was sent to prison and it was actually mentioned in parliament. This how stupid and influential nonsense programmes are getting!

I agree with you on that and now the main problem is that if one wishes to keep the TV one must go digital which you will get a whole hoast of channels that show nothing but repeats and poor quality programme.

I also hold TV responsible for the general ambivlant feeling in the UK towards Christians because it promoted the world and made Christians look foolish and then it continues with oh heres another Dawkins programe about why there is no God. I have yet to see the Programme supporting the idea of God.

But sometimes you did get the odd good programme.:crossrc:

Upvote 0
L

lavenderbees

I also hold TV responsible for the general ambivlant feeling in the UK towards Christians because it promoted the world and made Christians look foolish and then it continues with oh heres another Dawkins programe about why there is no God. I have yet to see the Programme supporting the idea of God.

I know. There is a definite bias towards the idea of atheism. However, I do recall some programmes about near-death experiences and the healing power of prayer but, unfortunately, these programmes were not shown on the BBC. They were both channel 4 documentaries.

Upvote 0

MarcusHill

Educator and learner
May 1, 2007
Manchester
✟16,512.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I do recall some programmes about near-death experiences and the healing power of prayer but, unfortunately, these programmes were not shown on the BBC. They were both channel 4 documentaries.

Did they both mention how all the available evidence points to the lack of existence of the phenomena concerned? If not, they're further evidence of the extreme anti-rationalist bias of most TV.

Upvote 0

TeutonKnight

Crusading Knight
Sep 21, 2008
Belfast
Visit site
✟7,806.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I know. There is a definite bias towards the idea of atheism. However, I do recall some programmes about near-death experiences and the healing power of prayer but, unfortunately, these programmes were not shown on the BBC. They were both channel 4 documentaries.

Im glad to see that I am not alone in my feelings. As for TV itself I feel that it will just continue on with is blatent anti Christian attitude.

Upvote 0

brokenandhumbled

Let us go into the house of the Lord (Psalm 122)
Nov 18, 2007
United Kingdom
✟10,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well... as for me... one day I was sitting in font of the tube flicking through the 100+ channels looking for something to watch... and found nothing! Oh there was lots of violence, scantily clad women, sports (not really interested in sport), so called Christian channels which spouted a different gospel to the one in the Bible, auctions, cooking programs and many tiresome programs where people or a property get a make over, not to mention those where family air looms are auctioned off, soaps, old game shows and yet another airing of towering inferno! :eek:

I just sat there wondering why I pay for this ... and what do I get out of it? :confused:
I realized that I was watching this rubbish for about five hours a day ...that's 35 hours a week! That's 1820+ hours a year...and most of the time I was watching stuff that I was not really interested in but was all I could find to watch!

So... I got rid of the telly! Best thing I ever did!! What surprises me most is that I do not miss it. In fact I wonder now how I had the time to watch it. I do miss some of the documentaries like Coast, Blue Planet and Spring watch but I get them on D.V.D and watch them on my computer.

One thing that struck me though is how much time we spend talking about what we have seen on the telly. I especially notice this at work and oftentimes find I have no clue what people are talking about ...so it does put a dent in my conversation topics lol.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
L

lavenderbees

Did they both mention how all the available evidence points to the lack of existence of the phenomena concerned? If not, they're further evidence of the extreme anti-rationalist bias of most TV.

Strangely enough, the documentary about the power of prayer involved a scientific study which proved that the people being prayed for recovered more quickly and effectively than the people who were not being prayed for.

As for near-death experiences - there is scientific evidence which proves the "existence of the phenomena" - i.e. it proves that these people experience the sensations which they describe after they recover from their near-death experience.

What cannot be proved in both cases is the *source* of these experiences. There is an element of *faith* required to *believe* that these experiences are:

1. Created by people's brains
2. Created by a supernatural entity

Both these options require *faith* because NEITHER can be proved.

Upvote 0

MarcusHill

Educator and learner
May 1, 2007
Manchester
✟16,512.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Strangely enough, the documentary about the power of prayer involved a scientific study which proved that the people being prayed for recovered more quickly and effectively than the people who were not being prayed for.

As for near-death experiences - there is scientific evidence which proves the "existence of the phenomena" - i.e. it proves that these people experience the sensations which they describe after they recover from their near-death experience.

What cannot be proved in both cases is the *source* of these experiences. There is an element of *faith* required to *believe* that these experiences are:

1. Created by people's brains
2. Created by a supernatural entity

Both these options require *faith* because NEITHER can be proved.

I'd be interested to know whether the prayer experiment was double blind - all the experiments I've heard of indicate that prayer has a no effect on recovery rates. Is the study somewhere in the peer reviewed literature - I've got access to much of that, so I'd be interested to read it.

There's actually an experiment going on right now to investigate some of the NDE claims - specifically, the common claim that people see themselves "from above". They've put pictures on shelves above eye level in operating theatres, and intend to ask people who make these claims what the pictures were - the medical staff and the researchers asking the subjects will have no knowledge of the pictures.

Personally, I go for the scientific principle of parsimony. We know brains exist, and we know about the placebo effect, and we know that our minds and memories do play tricks on us. If a phenomenon can be explained by either these things which are known to exist or by some "supernatural" cause whose existence has never been proven, and there is no evidence either way, I accept the parsimonious explanation which doesn't require additional bits of reality to be inserted. This isn't faith, it's Occam's razor.

Upvote 0

ukok

Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and Emotional
Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
I wouldn't chuck out my TV as it enables me to watch DVD's and Videos through it, but we watch very little on the 5 channels we get (we don't have cable etc). We watch about 8-10 hours of TV a week and i'm sure we could live without that but my daughter likes watching Strictly Dancing and the X Factor!

Now, the TV licence is another thing entirely GRRRRRRR.....

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Is it time for us to chuck out the tv? I will not buy a new one when this one i have conks out. The UK tv is now an anti-christ group. There is nothing on the tv that is not anti-christian. It's worse from the USA but i wont get into that.
the religious stuff...

I suggest you buy a telly with an 'off' button, and use it, instead of sitting there watching it, and then complaining that you don't like what you see. What is that all about? :confused:

Television is morally neutral; like anything else in your house it is how you choose to use it that matters. If you don't want to watch, switch it off.

I can honestly say I never watch anything 'anti-Christ', because I choose not to. And yet, somehow, I find plenty of good, wholesome entertainment, if I want it. Which does not include religious broadcasting, because I am aware I am unlikely to enjoy it, so I don't even try.

If I want to find God, I go to church, or to meet my Christian friends. The telly is not about worship, it is about entertainment. I do not expect cookery programmes to feed me food, and I do not expect 'religious' programmes to feed my soul. :)

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
As for TV itself I feel that it will just continue on with is blatent anti Christian attitude.

I have never noticed anything anti Christian about television. Or are you talking about anti evangelical? This is not at all the same thing, you know. And even then, there are not many programmes questioning the evangelical world view. Far fewer than those questioning more serious issues, such as the economy, or global warming etc. :)

Upvote 0