Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Loaded quesstions are “honest” now, are they?
I'll bet you didn't think they were loaded when you were experiencing them, did you?

(Or did you experience them?)

• Haha
Reactions: HitchSlap
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't consider arguments from incredulity to provoke thought, but rather I consider you've stopped trying to improve your understanding.
You may have more success being direct.

I only argue creation over evolution based (mainly) on incredulity. Everything else I use evidence or common sense.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know you think that, but the intention of your posts, is pretty transparent.

My intention is to be helpful, and I hope that is quite transparent. :holy:

• Friendly
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Picture or it didn't happen
rudolph-dmx.jpg

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I only argue creation over evolution based (mainly) on incredulity. Everything else I use evidence or common sense.
Unfortunately for you, most of us here understand ToE, and aren’t as impressed with your incredulity as you are.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately for you, most of us here understand ToE, and aren’t as impressed with your incredulity as you are.

Why 'unfortunately' for me? :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's my point... they're not difficult to anyone who understands ToE. You only serve to muddy the waters.

All I ask for is the mathematical odds of evolution ever happening. That shouldn't be too difficult. Haven't many scientists, among them Carl Sagan, stated that "against all odds, evolution did happen." I just want to know what those odds were.

If those odds go past the realm of possibility, then there you have it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
All I ask for is the mathematical odds of evolution ever happening.
Pretty good, I'd say, since life exists, and over the last 158 years we've figured out how.
That shouldn't be too difficult.
It's not.
Haven't many scientists, among them Carl Sagan, stated that "against all odds, evolution did happen." I just want to know what those odds were.
We may never know what those odds are. We'd have to know how large our universe is, and how many planets hospitable to life evolving exist.
If those odds go past the realm of possibility, then there you have it.
It's moot to discuss the odds of something happening when we know it's happened once, already. In fact, using Bayesian inference of prior probabilities, there's a possible chance it's happened somewhere else in the universe.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,961.00
Faith
Atheist
Haven't many scientists, among them Carl Sagan, stated that "against all odds, evolution did happen." I just want to know what those odds were.
It's hard to know what he meant without any context.

I'm curious to know where Carl Sagan said that, and/or where 'many scientists' said that. Citation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All I ask for is the mathematical odds of evolution ever happening.
QV please:
Evolutionist Harold Morowitz estimated the probability for chance formation of even the simplest form of living organism at 1/10 to the 340,000,000th power. By comparison only 10 to the 20th power grains of sand could fit within a cubic mile and 10 billion times more (10 to the 30th power) would fit inside the entire earth. So, the probability of forming a simple cell by chance processes is infinitely less likely than having a blind person select one specifically marked grain of sand out of an entire earth filled with sand.
There is nowhere near enough time nor matter in the entire universe for even the simplest cell to have formed by chance combinations. Even if all the correct chemicals somehow came together in the correct place, you still wouldn't have life. This is exactly the situation every time a living organism dies. Immediately after death, all the right chemicals exist, in the right proportions, and in the right place -- yet the creature is still dead!

SOURCE

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This Harold Morowitz?

He also said this:

“Energy can create order,” Dr. Olds said, “and life, if anything, is order.”

and this:

"In 1983, he testified in McLean v. Arkansas, a case that successfully challenged a state law mandating the teaching of “creation science” in Arkansas public schools. Professor Morowitz described creation science as “somewhat deceptive” and said its proponents “play rather fast and loose with the use of the second law of thermodynamics to indicate that the natural origin of life would not be possible.”

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This Harold Morowitz?

He also said this:

“Energy can create order,” Dr. Olds said, “and life, if anything, is order.”

and this:

"In 1983, he testified in McLean v. Arkansas, a case that successfully challenged a state law mandating the teaching of “creation science” in Arkansas public schools. Professor Morowitz described creation science as “somewhat deceptive” and said its proponents “play rather fast and loose with the use of the second law of thermodynamics to indicate that the natural origin of life would not be possible.”
Hmmm ...

I wonder if he got a parking ticket too!

That would certainly invalidate his estimate of probability, wouldn't it!? :eek:

Upvote 0