✟27,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Psalms 16:9-10 MSG
I'm happy from the inside out, and from the outside in, I'm firmly formed. You canceled my ticket to hell— that's not my destination!

I need more faith, wisdom, knowledge, and insight. I need BELIEF. I want to believe that I am going home...and that God cancelled my ticket to hell. But I have doubt (kind of) ... I know I am not supposed to. I just feel like this verse is too good to be true.

So mainly I am looking for wisdom and insight, from God. I need PROOF that I am going home :

Proverbs 14:15
Only a simpleton believes everything he’s told! A prudent man understands the need for proof.

I need proof! Other than that, I am fairly happy. God speaks to me...and I love him. I just want to have a SOLID and STEADY faith, and like I said, I need belief. I'll keep praying for that, but I hope in the meantime some of you guys can give me feedback.

Thanks!

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm happy from the inside out, and from the outside in, I'm firmly formed. You canceled my ticket to hell— that's not my destination!

I need more faith, wisdom, knowledge, and insight. I need BELIEF. I want to believe that I am going home...and that God cancelled my ticket to hell. But I have doubt (kind of) ... I know I am not supposed to. I just feel like this verse is too good to be true.

So mainly I am looking for wisdom and insight, from God. I need PROOF that I am going home :

Only a simpleton believes everything he’s told! A prudent man understands the need for proof.

I need proof! Other than that, I am fairly happy. God speaks to me...and I love him. I just want to have a SOLID and STEADY faith, and like I said, I need belief. I'll keep praying for that, but I hope in the meantime some of you guys can give me feedback.

Thanks!
That comes from the Holy Spirit in the word of God.

Get in it.

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You canceled my ticket to hell— that's not my destination!
Good!
Now, when the train makes it's next stop, get off

I am still looking for some more insight. :)

and follow Christ to Heaven.
When the Devil laid the tracks, he did us a favor.
He laid them in both directions.

For me the proof is the fruit of the Spirit
Galatians 5: 22-23 love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control
When I sin, I lose these things
When I follow, I gain them
Run the experiment until you are convinced

Yesterday, I laughed with genuine joy
And I knew for the first time
Where it came from

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Thanks!

Nick, the trick here with Christian Belief is to realize that there is no "proof"... and to get rid of Baptist style epistemic assumptions about the Bible. If you can do this and replace those assumptions with something more realistic, then you can work on belief and then faith.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nick, the trick here with Christian Belief is to realize that there is no "proof"... and to get rid of Baptist style epistemic assumptions about the Bible. If you can do this and replace those assumptions with something more realistic, then you can work on belief and then faith.
"Baptist" epistemic assumptions are that what is taught in the Bible is verified in other places of the Bible.
That's a good thing, no?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Baptist" epistemic assumptions are that what is taught in the Bible is verified in other places of the Bible.
That's a good thing, no?

That kind of exegesis gets a bit dicey at places, because the various authors of the bible don't necessarily perfectly line up with each other. And so, the whole notion that one has to interpret the Bible BY the Bible only goes so far. There are times when this interpretive principle doesn't account for as much as it needs to.

Ultimately, the great thing is that the Biblical writings don't have to be inerrant for Christianity to be true. They just has to be a reasonable representation of historical facts and prophetic in nature. Which they are ...

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That kind of exegesis gets a bit dicey at places, because the various authors of the bible don't necessarily perfectly line up with each other. And so, the whole notion that one has to interpret the Bible BY the Bible only goes so far. There are times when this interpretive principle doesn't account for as much as it needs to.

Ultimately, the great thing is that the Biblical writings don't have to be inerrant for Christianity to be true. They just has to be a reasonable representation of historical facts and prophetic in nature. Which they are ...
It seems to me the NT has to be inerrant in its doctrine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems to me the NT has to be inerrant in its doctrine.

It really doesn't have to be that for it to be generally true on any practical scale.

The "slippery slope argument" that the Bible HAS to be inerrant or else we'd have no good reason to not be suspicious of the whole thing is a fallacy.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It really doesn't have to be that for it to be generally true on any practical scale.

The "slippery slope argument" that the Bible HAS to be inerrant or else we'd have no good reason to not be suspicious of the whole thing is a fallacy.
Paul seems pretty clear to me that there is no negotiating salvation by faith only, apart from and never by merit,

and that to trust on merit is not to be saved (Gal 5:4).

Not to mention all the glorious doctrines of Christ and the church that could be misconstrued.

I'm thinking as does Paul, that correct doctrine is important (1 Tim 4:16, 1:10, 2 Th 4:3, Tit 1:9, 2:1).

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul seems pretty clear to me that there is no negotiating salvation by faith only, apart from and never by merit,

and that to trust on merit is not to be saved (Gal 5:4).
You're importing an issue here that, for me, isn't even a part of the current focus or a concern.
Not to mention all the glorious doctrines of Christ and the church that could be misconstrued.
All kinds of misconstruals have happened and probably in just about EVERY denominaton imaginable. None of us has it all perfectly, and what's more, the Gospel wasn't intended to be handed on perfectly either. But you know what? It didn't have to be...
I'm thinking as does Paul, that correct doctrine is important (1 Tim 4:16, 1:10, 2 Th 4:3, Tit 1:9, 2:1).
Of course correct doctrine is important. But inerrancy isn't one of those doctrines and, furthermore, we don't find it mentioned explicitely, let alone comprehensively and extensively, in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You're importing an issue here that, for me, isn't even a part of the current focus or a concern.

All kinds of misconstruals have happened and probably in just about EVERY denominaton imaginable. None of us has it all perfectly, and what's more, the Gospel wasn't intended to be handed on perfectly either. But you know what? It didn't have to be...
So merit mixed in with faith is salvific?
And relying on your effort all your life to get you into glory is salvific?
Of course correct doctrine is important. But inerrancy isn't one of those doctrines and, furthermore, we don't find it mentioned explicitely, let alone comprehensively and extensively, in the Bible.
If Scripture is errant, how can any doctrine be four square with apostolic teaching?
What keeps us from turning the atonement into paganism?

Could this become a covenient tool for justifying one's false notions?

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If Scripture is errant, how can any doctrine be four square with apostolic teaching?

A map doesn't have to be perfect to get you where you are going; when inerrancy became a stumbling block for me, at some point I had to ask myself, "well, is it good Enough?" and the answer was Yes. And from that point on, the more I followed, the better it got.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A map doesn't have to be perfect to get you where you are going; when inerrancy became a stumbling block for me, at some point I had to ask myself, "well, is it good Enough?" and the answer was Yes. And from that point on, the more I followed, the better it got.
You're barking up the wrong tree if you think you can convince me the word of God is in error.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello Nick, there are at least a couple of places in the Bible that admonish us to make sure that we are, indeed, the Christians that we both claim and believe ourselves to be. Here is one of them .. 2 Corinthians 13:5.

It's also clear that the Lord wants His adopted children to have the assurance that we are safe and secure in Him .. e.g. John 10:27-28; Hebrews 7:25; 1 John 5:13; Jude 24-25. So what you are seeking to know is a very good thing :)

The first place that I would look is back at your life prior to becoming a believer and ask yourself, has anything changed in my life since the day I came to saving faith in Christ, and if so, what has changed?

Also, someone mentioned the following passage earlier, and they made a good point by doing do. So, does your life look more like Galatians 5:19-21, or does it look more like Galatians 5:22-23 (and/or is it at least moving in the direction of the latter passage)?

There's much more, but I need to run (I hope to be back later however, Dv).

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - there is this thought to consider as well.................

Pink - Grieving Over Sin.jpg

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So merit mixed in with faith is salvific?
And relying on your effort all your life to get you into glory is salvific?
Clare, I think you missed the part where I was addressing the OP and I was focusing on epistemic assumptions rather than who has the best exegesis of Paul's epistles. :)
That's a funny thing to ask.
This, too, is a funny thing to ask. It's not really even a coherent question, I'm sorry to say.
Could this become a covenient tool for justifying one's false notions?

No, not really. The Bible is too contextually and historially complex for anyone to just twist all of it without being shown a fool. I think you know that. :)

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Clare, I think you missed the part where I was addressing the OP and I was focusing on epistemic assumptions rather than who has the best exegesis of Paul's epistles. :)
Am I mistaken in my prosecution of the principle you proposed that "the gospel wasn't intended to be handed on perfectly?"
That's a funny thing to ask.
This, too, is a funny thing to ask. It's not really even a coherent question, I'm sorry to say.
No, not really. The Bible is too contextually and historially complex for anyone to just twist all of it without being shown a fool. I think you know that. :)
Help me out here. I don't see why.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Am I mistaken in my prosecution of the principle you proposed that "the gospel wasn't intended to be handed on perfectly?"
Probably. :p
Help me out here. I don't see why.

You don't see why about what? That Southern Baptists don't have the last word on the Bible?

Upvote 0