Those against abortion, have you adopted?

Have you adopted children?

• Yes

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • No

Votes: 20 74.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No I have not but do give to Christian foster care and adoptive services.

Why only Christian charities? If we care about abortions in general....shouldnt we help all regardless of the religious affiliation of the institution? There is no fault in giving anywhere....but the mentioning of the religious affiliation may not be needed....and if it is......it leads one to wonder why...

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm against homelessness, drug addiction and hunger, but don't take in (and am not expected to, even by pro-aborters)

Are you also fighting to force people into homes when they desire to live outside of one? Do you believe that possession of all drugs by all people for any reason should be made an act punishable by law because many abuse them? Do you wish to be able to force everyone to eat even when they do not desire to (eliminate fasting) because there are some that are hungry?

If not, these argument are unlike those against free-will......against choice.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How many people are waiting to adopt a child?

Maybe there is a long wait list because the adopters are selective and waiting for the right type of child to be born..... For these people, taking away the choice of all women cannot be justified by this argument.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are two people involved in pregnancies, and one is always a man.

Lets not forget the Life created when the two meet. There are three. And this is important, not to forget....if we desire for others to be bound by our beliefs.....under punishment of law.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe there is a long wait list because the adopters are selective and waiting for the right type of child to be born.....

long waits are often because there are more people wishing to adopt newborns than newborns available for adoption

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another example is being against abortion but not adopting children, especially those from unwanted pregnancies.
Actually it is being pro-life then not funding the services to sustain that life.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe there is a long wait list because the adopters are selective and waiting for the right type of child to be born.....
The text that you quoted from my post had this link, Every Child A Wanted Child

Here is a salient quote from that page (to answer your post),

"And some of these are only hard-to-place because social workers have deliberately made them hard-to-place. 60% black. The problem is not that these children are unwanted. There are tens of thousands of people who would love to adopt them. The problem is that some social workers believe that it is bad for a child to be raised by someone with the wrong skin color, and so they will not allow white families to adopt these children."

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The text that you quoted from my post had this link, Every Child A Wanted Child

Here is a salient quote from that page (to answer your post),

"And some of these are only hard-to-place because social workers have deliberately made them hard-to-place. 60% black. The problem is not that these children are unwanted. There are tens of thousands of people who would love to adopt them. The problem is that some social workers believe that it is bad for a child to be raised by someone with the wrong skin color, and so they will not allow white families to adopt these children."
The woman who did our home study was a black woman. She said it’s worse than that. She said some dark-skinned blacks opposed light-skinned blacks, and vice versa. And obviously, there were blacks who were opposed to a black child being placed with a white family. She wanted us to know that it wasn’t just whites who were racist.

Our first placement was a little black girl. Thankfully, we had no issues, and got along well with her parents.

Reactions: antiquarian
Upvote 0

Servant of Yeshua

Jan 17, 2019
Northern Hemisphere
✟14,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
As with many issues, people voice their support so long as it doesn't land in their backyard. The homeless shelter on their street, for example.

Another example is being against abortion but not adopting children, especially those from unwanted pregnancies.

I only know of one person to do it and he's one of the few people I can honestly say puts their money where their mouth is.

So, those of you against abortion, have you adopted? If not, why not?
We have adopted 2 children in addition to a child born to us. Honestly I wish that we could adopt more. We offer respite care for those fostering so that they can have a break or go away. The blessing is truly all ours. The Lord promises that children are a blessing. There are many many ways to help.

Help educate people to prevent unwanted pregnancy. God blesses those who trust His word and do not participate in the sin of fornication. 1 Corinthians 6:9 lists it to be a sinful lifestyle. Wake up churches and parents and talk about how fornication can separate you from God for eternity if you die in your sins. You can help prevent unwanted pregnancies by speaking truth in love. There is a lot for all of us to do to help prevention and to encourage adoption.

Truly, babies get adopted VERY easily. People are honestly waiting for years and many go overseas since in America there are so few newborns put up for adoption. It is really the older kids and sibling groups up for adoption. They are put into the foster system because parents have gone to jail, or are neglected because the parent becomes addicted to drugs etc. They truly DO need your help today. Contact your local foster care organization such as Bethany Christian Services or Salvation Army and you can get qualified to be at least be a respite person that could start out by helping for an afternoon or a day and get your feet wet and experience the many blessings that God promises will come from helping His children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As with many issues, people voice their support so long as it doesn't land in their backyard. The homeless shelter on their street, for example.

I only know of one person to do it and he's one of the few people I can honestly say puts their money where their mouth is.

I have not yet adopted. But I would like to someday, when I get married.

One thing to keep in mind is that adoption is not a calling for everyone. But I agree with the spirit of your argument that those who oppose abortion could be more supportive of children from unplanned pregnancies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi, I'm not in either extremist camp -- I think the mainstream consensus view of American Christians is correct, and it's not on either extreme. I think your question is a very good question.

I'm glad you asked it, and sorry to see that some mistreated you for asking it.

We are not called to only say words, and only make rules for other people, but instead we are called by faith to follow Christ and do as He said.

Actions.

Actions speak louder than words.

Faith without works is dead.

It's certainly correct that only some can adopt, but that most everyone could do some little something -- actual actions -- to help.

Even small actions matter. Even just encouragement matters. To be friendly to an unwed mother, for example, and welcome her with love.

In fact, those who do not welcome their brothers and sisters with love will not see Heaven -- Matthew 25 NIV starting at verse 31 through to the end of chapter.

And, yes, a great many do indeed do things to help, and this is very good and encouraging.

Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Many Christians I know have adopted children, in some cases multiple children. In any case, you don't have to be in a position to adopt in order to recognize that the brutal slaughter of innocent children is against any sense of morality, or even human decency.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Most people do not think that adopting children is good because it makes a political statement. :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To Everyone --

One other way to 'adopt' children, which we very many of us can do, is to give extra attention to children that only have one parent, as we meet them. To go further, be extra friendly.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Truly, babies get adopted VERY easily. People are honestly waiting for years and many go overseas since in America there are so few newborns put up for adoption. It is really the older kids and sibling groups up for adoption.

I have not yet adopted. But I would like to someday, when I get married.
This type of dialogue will save many Children.........Dialogue concerning taking away the choices of women will save few children and anger many.

This may be the point the OP is trying to make...

• Friendly
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why only Christian charities? If we care about abortions in general....shouldnt we help all regardless of the religious affiliation of the institution? There is no fault in giving anywhere....but the mentioning of the religious affiliation may not be needed....and if it is......it leads one to wonder why...
I do pay my taxes which go to government funded homes which help the needy as well.

Upvote 0

But_First_Coffee

May 21, 2019
Jacksonville
✟14,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A little off-topic, but hope you don't mind me sharing.....

Many years ago, when I was in care, I was put in a foster placement for a year and a half. The couple with their own children came to visit me at the home. They brought me gifts and presents. They took me out for day trips and gave me a lot of love, fuss and attention. It was all smiles when they told me they wanted me to join their family. I finally had someone to call Mum and Dad.

A few months after moving in with them, reality started to sink in - both for me and for them. The Foster Dad wanted a boy who could play football - I wasn't interested. The Foster Mum felt I was taking her attention away from her daughters, so I got scape-goated and blamed for everything that went wrong. Although I became very attached to them and really loved them, I soon got so nervous and afraid of them, I got to the point where I stopped telling them important things. I remember the mornings I got scolded by the Foster Mum and Dad because I lay in my vomit all night because I was too frightened to tell them.

One day, I went to the school fete and bought them all a present with my pocket money. I wanted to make it a nice surprise. They spent so much time telling me how "selfish" and "difficult" I was, I wanted to prove to them that I loved them. I arrived back at the house with the presents, walked through the front door and all of them were congregated in the hallway. I handed over my presents and they all burst into tears. The Foster Mum broke down uncontrollably and told me that I was going back to the children's home that evening. I told her that she was now my Mummy and she couldn't send me back. She held me in her arms, weeping over me, saying how sorry she was and that she could not be my Mum anymore. I was picked up by the social worker and that was the last I ever saw of them.

When people talk about wanting to foster or adopt a child, I always share with them this story, so that when a child eventually goes into their care, they will never be treated in the same way that I was.

Fortunately, it was a happy ending for me, because I was finally adopted into a committed, loving family.

that's AWFUL. That family, I'm sorry, was SELFISH. I feel like I could look at the baby that didn't come out of me with the same love I look at my son with. But I just had him 8 months ago, so maybe those over-the-top maternal feelings are still running hot. I want to think even if God handed us a little boy (or a little girl) that was already a child and not a newborn, I could still love them even if they got into things, made messes, had anger, etc.... And if I struggled...well... there's several people right in our community who have taken on not just one but multiple children from other homes. One family had 2 of their own, then took in 2 African-American children who didn't look anything like them and were troubled and they said it was a struggle for them to adapt but they did it. I'd have people like them to lean on for support. I wonder if that one foster family you were with had that...

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do pay my taxes which go to government funded homes which help the needy as well.
Would you GIVE your taxes if you werent forced to PAY them by law? Do you believe you should have the ability to choose to pay and pay the amount you desire to the places you believe need it? Or do you agree that your choice to pay, or not pay, should rightfully be taken away because of the many who may do wrong in giving? If so, your beliefs are in line with your views here, and you are rightfully treating your neighbors as you desire to be treated yourself.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.