• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Those against abortion, have you adopted?

Discussion in 'Debates on Abortion' started by High Fidelity, May 21, 2019.

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    74.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidnic

Davidnic Well-Known Member Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+10,070
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    And I've taught it no need to be defensive.

2. Davidnic

+10,070
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    If you advise someone to leave an abusive husband but you're not willing to provide for them the logic espoused here means you are not allowed to help then.

Also if you are not willing to provide someone an income by this logic you can not oppose freeing them from slavery even though it's horrible because they are fed.

It's the exact same thing as saying if you're not willing to take care of the child by adopting her you cannot oppose killing her.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+1,698
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I will certainly defend myself against unwarranted condescension.

4. Davidnic

+10,070
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    And I'll defend myself against empty criticism.

5. Davidnic

+10,070
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    But if you felt I was condescending I do apologize. It was not my intent.

6. Sparagmos

+1,698
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Since when do husbands provide for their wives? It’s 2019. I make more $$ than my husband.

Freed slaves became employed laborers. (At least the ones who were actually freed.) The crops still needed to be attended.

Nevertheless, I understand your principle and am really only saying I disagree with your specific examples. So I’ll agree with your premise, now that I understand what it is.

7. Sparagmos

+1,698
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Thanks for that, apology accepted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  8. Davidnic

+10,070
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I'm a stay-at-home dad who works overnight and takes care of the kids in the day and my wife makes much more than me so I wasn't trying to say a man needs to provide for a woman. Spouses are a team.

In the point of the thread you are taking the place of the parent so in the analogy taking the place of the spouse. I wasn't trying to say anything else.

9. Light of the East

Light of the East Orthodox Inquirer Supporter

+1,287
    United States
    Catholic
    Married

Because I didn't have been $10 and $20 THOUSAND dollars to pay some stinking greedy lawyer!!

10. Davidnic

+10,070
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I think no matter where people fall on the pro-life pro-choice side of this we can all agree the adoption system needs to be reformed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. R. Genevieve

R. Genevieve Member

+155
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I haven't. The only reason I haven't is because I am an unmarried college student who is not in the financial situation to do so. I have every intention of adopting as soon as I am able to do so.

With that said, I don't think someone should necessarily have to adopt in order to believe abortion is morally wrong.
    1. There are other ways to support children and pregnant women aside from adoption. (i. e., working at a women's health clinic that provides prenatal care and medical care more generally to families in need, sheltering pregnant women who are getting out of abusive situations, etc.)
    2. I can believe Nazism is wrong and not personally have fought (or even encountered) a Nazi. I can believe beating someone up for their religious beliefs is wrong without having personally rescued someone being physically attacked for their beliefs. I do not think abortion is much different.

12. Hammster

Hammster Who has believed our report? Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+14,375
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I’ve adopted two children. Didn’t cost a dime.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. (° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ) Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,354
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    So the father has a choice in the matter now?

Edit: I will add that the man is probably the most innocent person, other than the unborn, because they have absolutely no choice in the matter. It is entirely up to the woman and the doctors to decide...right? So what does the man have to do with anything?

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+6,402
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    As is the man who seduces her? Surely you don't believe that a woman is solely responsible for your crude term for sexual relations.

15. Danielwright2311

Danielwright2311 Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,196
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    I do not call it abortion, I call it murder of a human life.

But forgivable, I forgive all no mater who they are.

16. DamianWarS

DamianWarS Follower of Isa Al Masih Supporter

+1,430
    Christian
    Private
    Gaint straw man. the lack of focus to act against injustice doesn't void the injustice. if you recognize an imbalance then why aren't you fighting for it rather than pretending it's not there.

17. SoldierOfTheKing

SoldierOfTheKing Christian Spenglerian

+1,981
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    The rightness or wrongness of abortion has nothing to do with my or anybody else's personal conduct. Given the life he has lived, we couldn't be terribly surprised if our current president had paid for an abortion at some point in his life. That doesn't make his policy on abortion any less sound.

18. Daniel Martinovich

Daniel Martinovich Friend Supporter

+323
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Kind of ridiculous since there is a waiting list 8000 miles long to adopt newborns. That is why people adopt overseas.

19. WherevertheWindblows

WherevertheWindblows On vacation again

+96
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Those Duggar's are obviously against abortion but I doubt they would be looking into adoption since they have 19 of their own un-aborted children.

20. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+26,137
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    You never know.

We have families in my church which once their kids fly the nest adopt and foster children. Some adopt while also having little ones of their own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.