Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes I feel lucky turning atheist so young....

It's a weird thing to think a few formative incidents ultimately culminated in a self perception that cares little about the opinion of others and perhaps too much about my opinion of myself. There's big downsides of course....

But ultimately, I can't say I've ever felt white guilt. I can't be shamed by the deeds of strangers in history. I can't accept original sin as a valid guilt from christians....so I don't accept any guilt of the ancestors of this nation. Generally speaking, I don't accept guilt for anything I haven't done and anyone trying to categorize me as guilty of such deeds of those before me I view as vapid, immoral, and self serving. It's not for my benefit they try to convince me of some guilt but for theirs.

I also see the groveling acceptance of many white people who have done no wrong as pathetic and embarrassing. I don't see how they can simply abandon all self respect and degrade themselves in such a fashion. Undoubtedly, some held racist attitudes or beliefs they felt guilty for... but convicting people of bad thoughts would see us all condemned.

Yeah, you strike me as someone who is naturally a little more prone to logical thinking than most other people. You have empathy and feelings for others but they do not overtake you. For many people though it can be easy to fall into guilt traps. I do not blame them, it is mostly an involuntary thing. I know many children of war criminals carry lifelong psychological burdens because of it. Perhaps there is some evolutionary reason behind it.. but I've never really explored the possibility.

I do worry quite a bit about what children are potentially facing in the school system nowadays. One ray of hope I do have is that as schools become more diverse the ability to have white guilt stick on white children will diminish. One reason I think white guilt took hold on me is because 99% of my school (students and teachers) were white. I felt less manipulated when these guilt trips were from fellow white people. Also as someone who was mostly surrounded by white people I never really could gauge whether or not what they were saying was accurate. People of color for the most part were distant people from somewhere else.

A major reason my white guilt vanished during my mid 20s was interacting with more people of color. When I started being reminded of how awful my ancestors were from them my mind started feeling emotional manipulated. Another major aspect was noticing the many petty things people of color were complaining about. I thought "Your ancestors wanted to be able to walk on the same side walk as white people and not worry about being beaten for it.. and you complain about Halloween costumes."

While this might be a little more politically incorrect.. as a teenager I had a job at a department store. Almost daily someone would be arrested for shoplifting and despite being a majority white area I noticed most of them were black. While one can argue about whether or not police profiling is just or not, my mind couldn't accept that fact anymore that a black person being followed around by security in a store is only because white people feel like being mean to black people. While I still can sympathize with a black person feeling hurt and probably justified in feeling more eyes are watching them.. I have a much more nuanced view about things like this now.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, you strike me as someone who is naturally a little more prone to logical thinking than most other people. You have empathy and feelings for others but they do not overtake you. For many people though it can be easy to fall into guilt traps. I do not blame them, it is mostly an involuntary thing. I know many children of war criminals carry lifelong psychological burdens because of it. Perhaps there is some evolutionary reason behind it.. but I've never really explored the possibility.

Shame is a powerful feeling but it's hard for me to reconcile that explanation with what I see.

I was proven wrong on another thread earlier this year. I had made assumptions about evidence that I was wrong about. I was given that evidence and proven wrong.

I admitted my previous statements were wrong, I thanked the person for correcting me, I said I retracted my earlier comments and now agreed....and then left the thread.

It was nice of the person to not shame or gloat about it. I think more of them for doing so.

I don't really see many others admitting they were wrong that way. Instead, I see people vigorously double down beyond all rational thought or engage in personal attacks or self aggrandizement.

If so many people can stubbornly resist the obvious in defense of their own personal beliefs instead of admitting they were wrong.....like all people are...

Why do they so easily acquiesce to the burden of guilt for things they have not done?

I do worry quite a bit about what children are potentially facing in the school system nowadays. One ray of hope I do have is that as schools become more diverse the ability to have white guilt stick on white children will diminish. One reason I think white guilt took hold on me is because 99% of my school (students and teachers) were white. I felt less manipulated when these guilt trips were from fellow white people. Also as someone who was mostly surrounded by white people I never really could gauge whether or not what they were saying was accurate. People of color for the most part were distant people from somewhere else.

I can understand that. For my part, I had various friends from various races...though the majority were white. I heard racist stuff from many of them but it was always different. I had black friends whose family had said things that were subtle but clearly racist....perhaps because I was around. I had a black friend who, around other black friends, would say some of the most openly racist things I've heard, as if they were fact. I've heard some similar things from white people as well...but the reactions were typically different. People would seem ashamed, try to change the topic, or even apologize.

I didn't know any latino people till much later. I have a latino coworker and friend who says that till he was 18...he thought being racist wasn't just normal, it was acceptable. He was brought up hating white people and he assumed white people were brought up hating him. He got into the military at 18, was surrounded by white people and only 1 other latino. When he started saying racist things about the whites to the latino and the guy responded that he was really racist and he wasn't going to talk with him anymore...it forced a change in perspective on him.

A major reason my white guilt vanished during my mid 20s was interacting with more people of color. When I started being reminded of how awful my ancestors were from them my mind started feeling emotional manipulated. Another major aspect was noticing the many petty things people of color were complaining about. I thought "Your ancestors wanted to be able to walk on the same side walk as white people and not worry about being beaten for it.. and you complain about Halloween costumes."

I honestly can't say I've had any white guilt. I don't feel much guilt for things I actually do....I feel contempt for being accused of things I haven't done.

My wife once asked me why I never seem anxious or stressed. I told her it's one of very few upsides to genuinely not caring much about what others think of me.

While this might be a little more politically incorrect.. as a teenager I had a job at a department store. Almost daily someone would be arrested for shoplifting and despite being a majority white area I noticed most of them were black. While one can argue about whether or not police profiling is just or not, my mind couldn't accept that fact anymore that a black person being followed around by security in a store is only because white people feel like being mean to black people. While I still can sympathize with a black person feeling hurt and probably justified in feeling more eyes are watching them.. I have a much more nuanced view about things like this now.

My black friends openly boasted about thefts they got away with. I remember one telling me about stealing a bike from a white kid when he was 10 or 11...he figured the white kid would give it up easily. He was surprised when the kid started punching him and wouldn't let the bike go. The point was he actually respected the kid more for being physically violent.

I can't help but reflect on that, wonder where it comes from, and how widespread a belief like that could be. Sadly, I don't think we'll get to the root of any problems until we can honestly hold such conversations with each other without the fear of being judged.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You really think a psychopath could be more trustworthy and less dangerous than a moralist motivated by empathy?

I think both a psychopath and a very emotional empathetic person are not ideal. Depending on the context I might pick either or. I do want to make it clear I was not arguing for psychopathy in my previous post and I am sorry if it came off that way. I was born with an unspecified language disorder and consequently it can be difficult communicating my thoughts.

My intention was to simply show the difference between having empathy and not having it. I view it as a spectrum and personally I think the ideal person is one who is low on emotional empathy. Feelings can only go so far and I believe it does not take a lot of feeling to motivate people in the general right direction. A heavy dose of rationality and a little feeling will go a long way. I believe healthy individuals want to live in a successful society and part of that includes helping others than yourself and wanting them to do well.

That doesn't sound right. And it doesn't fit my experience.

My experience is that I have found the more someone uses the words and phrases "love" and "caring about others" the higher the likelihood they are to be rotten people when love and caring actually counts. On the flipside I have found that many of those dismissed as vulgar and uncaring actually turn out to be loving when in actually counts.

I think alot of folks simply haven't met genuine and sincere human beings. I know they are rare now days, especially in a country like the United States, but they do exist.

My experience is different. They are just found in communities many would not expect.

The thing is I've developed most of my negative thoughts about emotional empathy from self reflection. While depression has made me mostly numb for years I was born and when otherwise psychologically healthy am quite high on the empathy spectrum. As a kid I had a lot of the signs, emotionally sensitive, highly spiritual and one who dealt with severe social anxiety.

Was I a good kid? I was one with mood swings. One moment I could feel incredibly sympathy for another and the next looking forward to (what I believed at the time) someone eventually rotting in hell. Life was pretty much an emotional roller coaster for me. The big turning point was when I lost my Christian faith. My psychology was shattered in a million pieces and I began to discover the many deep psychological scars my past faith left me.

This forced me to start becoming serious about self reflection. Why I thought and acted the way I did. I came to the conclusion that the main theme of my issues was my emotional empathy. The reality that the ways empathy is able to be expressed is much more complicated than some think and that there are just as many negative sides to it as good sides. One does not simply use empathy to feel for another and partake in their sorrows. A empathetic person can just as easily use that vividness to make a bully's actions all the more emotionally raw, which in turn can easily inspire feelings of revenge and anger.

That I enjoyed being emotional empathetic for the sake of being emotional empathic. Just as someone can enjoy the sounds of sad music one can also become addicted to feeling bad for others. A trait I think many social justice advocates have fallen into. Why many of them react in hostility at the notion that things for blank oppressed group may not actually be as bad as they are. This can also extend inward. It is not just black people who enjoy the status of victimhood, whites also enjoy it as well people from both races can have incentives of wanting to exploit it.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think both a psychopath and a very emotional empathetic person are not ideal. Depending on the context I might pick either or. I do want to make it clear I was not arguing for psychopathy in my previous post and I am sorry if it came off that way. I was born with an unspecified language disorder and consequently it can be difficult communicating my thoughts.

My intention was to simply show the difference between having empathy and not having it. I view it as a spectrum and personally I think the ideal person is one who is low on emotional empathy. Feelings can only go so far and I believe it does not take a lot of feeling to motivate people in the general right direction. A heavy dose of rationality and a little feeling will go a long way. I believe healthy individuals want to live in a successful society and part of that includes helping others than yourself and wanting them to do well.

My experience is that I have found the more someone uses the words and phrases "love" and "caring about others" the higher the likelihood they are to be rotten people when love and caring actually counts. On the flipside I have found that many of those dismissed as vulgar and uncaring actually turn out to be loving when in actually counts.

My experience is different. They are just found in communities many would not expect.

The thing is I've developed most of my negative thoughts about emotional empathy from self reflection. While depression has made me mostly numb for years I was born and when otherwise psychologically healthy am quite high on the empathy spectrum. As a kid I had a lot of the signs, emotionally sensitive, highly spiritual and one who dealt with severe social anxiety.

Was I a good kid? I was one with mood swings. One moment I could feel incredibly sympathy for another and the next looking forward to (what I believed at the time) someone eventually rotting in hell. Life was pretty much an emotional roller coaster for me. The big turning point was when I lost my Christian faith. My psychology was shattered in a million pieces and I began to discover the many deep psychological scars my past faith left me.

This forced me to start becoming serious about self reflection. Why I thought and acted the way I did. I came to the conclusion that the main theme of my issues was my emotional empathy. The reality that the ways empathy is able to be expressed is much more complicated than some think and that there are just as many negative sides to it as good sides. One does not simply use empathy to feel for another and partake in their sorrows. A empathetic person can just as easily use that vividness to make a bully's actions all the more emotionally raw, which in turn can easily inspire feelings of revenge and anger.

That I enjoyed being emotional empathetic for the sake of being emotional empathic. Just as someone can enjoy the sounds of sad music one can also become addicted to feeling bad for others. A trait I think many social justice advocates have fallen into. Why many of them react in hostility at the notion that things for blank oppressed group may not actually be as bad as they are. This can also extend inward. It is not just black people who enjoy the status of victimhood, whites also enjoy it as well people from both races can have incentives of wanting to exploit it.

I can't think of a white person enjoying victimhood status. That's why, generally speaking, we don't see white people doing this stuff....

Viterbo student who reported racist incidents accused of starting fire in residential hall

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can't think of a white person enjoying victimhood status. That's why, generally speaking, we don't see white people doing this stuff....

Viterbo student who reported racist incidents accused of starting fire in residential hall

Ah, I was meaning that white people can enjoy black victimhood in the viewpoint of enjoying feeling sorry for them.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ah, I was meaning that white people can enjoy black victimhood in the viewpoint of enjoying feeling sorry for them.

Ahhh...ok.

It's the empathy thing. Self-righteousness through a sort of performative compassion?

I used to live in a place with a considerable number of beggars. Not an extreme number, but let's say on any summer day you could easily pass five or ten on a short 15 minute drive through town.

I'm not someone I'd describe as empathetic and I'm fully aware that generally my appearance is probably not what people would describe as friendly, or approachable.

As a rule, I never gave to the beggars who did not ask...too many of them.

But since I don't look "friendly" if someone came up to me and asked for a dollar so they could get a hotdog or whatever, I'd give him 10 or 20 instead. I never said bring back the change or waited for thanks.

I like those beggars. There's something hard about humbling oneself and asking for help, particularly from a place you might expect rejection. It's respectable.

It's the opposite of entitlement.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I really don't know ... but Trump is known for defrauding people out of their hard-earned money ... and for refusing to pay for services provided by those with whom he's contracted service.

It's not a bike, ... but it is, in many cases, a bank account or a business.

Yeah...but what's the connection? I was talking specifically about a viewpoint that respects violence and normalizes crime...in relation to someone I know personally.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah...but what's the connection? I was talking specifically about a viewpoint that respects violence and normalizes crime...in relation to someone I know personally.
You doubt that discovering that you've been swindled out a lifetime of earnings is violent ?

And yet to those who perpetrate such crimes, these actions are respected and expected.

And what does it matter whether I know them personally or not ?

Does it somehow make the crimes less heinous ?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You doubt that discovering that you've been swindled out a lifetime of earnings is violent ?

There's a big difference between getting conned and getting mugged.

You can con someone foolish but mugging requires a threat of violence.

Did you have anything else you'd like me to explain to you?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

OK, but you aren't going to convince me that it's healthy to live an insular life emotionally isolated from other people in self-absorbtion.

It sounds to me like your religious upbringing was highly damaging. I understand that and I hope you can find peace.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Shame is a powerful feeling but it's hard for me to reconcile that explanation with what I see.

Why do they so easily acquiesce to the burden of guilt for things they have not done?

Interesting question. From my own personal experience the emotions and emotional reactions of feeling shame or guilt are quite different. Feeling shame makes me want to conceal and hide while feeling guilt compels me to be open and talk about it. People with white guilt probably find it very easy to talk about what their ancestors of their race did to another. It's therapeutic for them.

Shame was not a very prevalent emotion when I suffered from white guilt. Why one emotion may more easily become a generational thing and not the other is an interesting question. Evolutionary psychology may someday provide some answers. Guilt compels you to act and shame to hide it away, so perhaps it had some benefit in improving hunter gatherer tribes? It could help spurn social improvement. A fresh set of eyes that are more vulnerable to enact change. Just a wild guess.

I can understand that. For my part, I had various friends from various races...though the majority were white. I heard racist stuff from many of them but it was always different. I had black friends whose family had said things that were subtle but clearly racist....perhaps because I was around. I had a black friend who, around other black friends, would say some of the most openly racist things I've heard, as if they were fact. I've heard some similar things from white people as well...but the reactions were typically different. People would seem ashamed, try to change the topic, or even apologize.

Same. From my exprience many people of color seem to be a few decades behind many white people in racial relations. Like they are stuck in the 1950s or something. I've seen really innocent looking Asian women say horribly racist things about black people out in the open. Usually when they do I cannot help but laugh uncontrollably. They often look at me with a confused look on their face and say something like.. "Hey... what are you laughing about? I am being serious." Lol.

I didn't know any latino people till much later. I have a latino coworker and friend who says that till he was 18...he thought being racist wasn't just normal, it was acceptable. He was brought up hating white people and he assumed white people were brought up hating him. He got into the military at 18, was surrounded by white people and only 1 other latino. When he started saying racist things about the whites to the latino and the guy responded that he was really racist and he wasn't going to talk with him anymore...it forced a change in perspective on him.

I think many black people would cool down if they realized race is not a very big deal or even an important identity to the average white person. While I can be sympathetic and it's probably not realistic to expect a black person to not care about race as much as a white person, I think many could have race be less of an identity if they tried.

One thing that I loathe about this current culture is that it is forcing many white people to more and more see their own race as an identity. Call it privilege or not but I really like just seeing myself as a "human" instead of as a "white guy". While I can be sympathetic in not expecting a black person to have the same luxury I think many of them could shed some of this black identity if they tried. While not a conservative I am supportive and very understanding for black people who do. I do not think it is healthy for a race to so heavily lean one way or the other. Like the "Walking away from the democratic plantation".. while I can understand some thinking the premise is stupid.. part of me cannot help but see such movements as good things. Individualism should be encouraged for all and I think is an important step in making race less important in society.

I honestly can't say I've had any white guilt. I don't feel much guilt for things I actually do....I feel contempt for being accused of things I haven't done.

My wife once asked me why I never seem anxious or stressed. I told her it's one of very few upsides to genuinely not caring much about what others think of me.

Nice. While being empathetic can give you amazing highs and make life very enjoyable it also has many downsides. I suffer from severe social anxiety at times and general panic attacks.

My black friends openly boasted about thefts they got away with. I remember one telling me about stealing a bike from a white kid when he was 10 or 11...he figured the white kid would give it up easily. He was surprised when the kid started punching him and wouldn't let the bike go. The point was he actually respected the kid more for being physically violent.

I can't help but reflect on that, wonder where it comes from, and how widespread a belief like that could be. Sadly, I don't think we'll get to the root of any problems until we can honestly hold such conversations with each other without the fear of being judged.

I have had experience of black people one day making fun of me for following the law and making comments about how things go down differently in black neighborhoods violence wise and the very next day complain about how unfair it is the black people are viewed as less law abiding and violent than white people. Of course there might be some exaggeration and humor when they talk about the former but from the vibe I get they're often being honest. From what I've seen from the crime stats it seems to be the case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
First off....really thoughtful answer. I gotta give you credit for saying things that I imagine sre difficult for a white male to say just out of the responses you can expect in return.

Interesting question. From my own personal experience the emotions and emotional reactions of feeling shame or guilt are quite different. Feeling shame makes me want to conceal and hide while feeling guilt compels me to be open and talk about it.

I have suspected for awhile that I might be stunted in my emotional development in some way. I can remember feeling guilt when I was much younger but I haven't in a long time. I don't even really feel embarrassed anymore when I do or say something foolish in front other people and get laughed at for it. Most close to these is a sense of personal disgust I feel when I deliberately misrepresent myself, even as a little white lie, for the benefit of avoiding conflict or protecting the feelings of others. I still do it because I think in some situations my discomfort is not worth protecting as much as someone's feelings....but the discomfort is there. If I don't too often....it becomes a resentment for that person and if it grows too strong ..I end up changing my demeanor but I try to be as non-confrontational about it.

My in laws came to visit once...for the first time since I had married and my wife was understandably nervous about it. I was making dinner and tried to be on my best behavior.

Her father had missed the highway exit he needed, tried to call her and began arguing with her even though she had given him the correct directions and gave him the correct directions to fix his error. When he arrived his tone was slightly angry and he was trying to blame her for his mistake.

I love my wife and even though I knew she wanted me to stay quiet...I couldn't. I knew if I did I would hate myself later for it. I took a pretty harsh tone with him, told him it was all his fault and he was wrong to blame my wife, and it was petty and disgraceful for him to do so. I told him if he was going to continue, it would be better for him to leave right then instead of staying for dinner.

To his credit, he did shut up even if he didn't apologize. It was a rather quiet and tense visit after that. I don't think he or my mother in law said another word to me even though they were happy to see their daughter. My wife was happy that I stood up for her later, but I know that in all honesty it was more about how I would feel about myself than whatever was going to make her happy. She would have been happy if I had let it slide so we could have had a less tense visit.

People with white guilt probably find it very easy to talk about what their ancestors of their race did to another. It's therapeutic for them.

I guess that makes sense.

Shame was not a very prevalent emotion when I suffered from white guilt. Why one emotion may more easily become a generational thing and not the other is an interesting question. Evolutionary psychology may someday provide some answers. Guilt compels you to act and shame to hide it away, so perhaps it had some benefit in improving hunter gatherer tribes? It could help spurn social improvement. A fresh set of eyes that are more vulnerable to enact change. Just a wild guess.

I think shame may promote social conformity and I can certainly see why that helps the group from an evolutionary perspective. As an atheist from a very young age I lost a lot of respect for the group and in a way, began to admire those willing to risk the disdain of the group for not conforming. As I've grown older though, I've learned to see more value in conformity and group respect.

Same. From my exprience many people of color seem to be a few decades behind many white people in racial relations. Like they are stuck in the 1950s or something.

I don't think this is entirely their fault either. If no one challenges bad ideas, racist or otherwise, people can rarely see any need to challenge them all on their own. Few people, of any race including black people, seem willing to challenge or confront racism in the black community. Racists always seem to think their racist beliefs are justified .

There's a comedian named Patrice O'Neal who I once heard talking about why he felt he and other black people hated white people (generally speaking of course, he immediately pointed out it's not as if he hated all white people). He attributed it to the way they see the injustice of slavery and the lack of a villian to blame. He felt envious of the Jewish people for having a Hitler and the goofy moustache he had. It's a villain and the blame can die with him. Slavery has no villian....so he thought that was why all the early founding fathers get viewed as similar to the plantation masters. They have no goofy moustache to associate it with, just white skin.

It's a comedian's explanation of course....but he was trying to be open and sincere about it. He knew he was racist, he wasn't ashamed of it, and I can honestly respect that more than a person saying racist things yet denying their racism behind a series of justifications.

I've seen really innocent looking Asian women say horribly racist things about black people out in the open. Usually when they do I cannot help but laugh uncontrollably. They often look at me with a confused look on their face and say something like.. "Hey... what are you laughing about? I am being serious." Lol.

Me too lol...I think when someone knows people see them as harmless they can get away with things we would find abhorrent in others

I think many black people would cool down if they realized race is not a very big deal or even an important identity to the average white person. While I can be sympathetic and it's probably not realistic to expect a black person to not care about race as much as a white person, I think many could have race be less of an identity if they tried.

I've noticed that the less one is attached to their racial identity, less racist they are towards others. I think that the condition of the black community in general, not all of them obviously, has been a struggle for a sense of identity because of being stripped of a culture so long ago. I noticed when I was young that many black people I knew...friend or not...had an idea of "white America" and "black America" as if we both lived in two very different countries. It didn't matter that we had very similar experiences....in their eyes we were not in the same boat, so to speak.

One thing that I loathe about this current culture is that it is forcing many white people to more and more see their own race as an identity. Call it privilege or not but I really like just seeing myself as a "human" instead of as a "white guy". While I can be sympathetic in not expecting a black person to have the same luxury I think many of them could shed some of this black identity if they tried. While not a conservative I am supportive and very understanding for black people who do. I do not think it is healthy for a race to so heavily lean one way or the other. Like the "Walking away from the democratic plantation".. while I can understand some thinking the premise is stupid.. part of me cannot help but see such movements as good things. Individualism should be encouraged for all and I think is an important step in making race less important in society.

I read a lot of sociological studies in college as part of my course work. I remember one that looked at outcomes of black children adopted by white parents and compared them to the outcomes in education to those of black students with black parents in the same schools and roughly the same income levels. I won't mention the results because I think the sample sizes, though they were in the low hundreds, were too small to extrapolate from.

I mention it because there was a few years when white parents weren't allowed to adopt black children....I think in the late 70s. It was because of black advocacy groups angrily complaining that the practice would lead to "cultural genocide" which is a phrase that today we only would associate with white supremacists.

I think it speaks to an idea that some black people have of that "white america" and "black america". I think that some only associate "white America" or in modern parlance "whiteness" as a moral evil, a destructive force, an inherent threat to their wellbeing.

This is, in my opinion, a result of associating the positive aspects of a black identity primarily with the notion of heroic struggle or righteous struggle against oppression. There's no lack of examples of heroic struggle in the history of black people in the US.

I think then that without any visible oppression....which is to say, no laws or policies that create a second class citizen of black people....retaining the positive aspect of that identity (for those who see it that way) requires an enemy to struggle against. It's why the racism must be buried deep in the system somewhere, or in te unconscious mind or biases of white people. It's hidden in this conspiratorial idea of a white privilege that benefits all white people all the time no matter what their circumstances are.

I don't think I can reasonably or morally suggest that the positive sense of identity of black people is something i6could influence or even have a right to influence as a white person. Heroic struggle and righteous struggle are things easy to believe in. Individual achievement and individual responsibility are not as satisfying emotionally I think. They are a harder road to walk in my opinion...and as such, hard to encourage.

Nice. While being empathetic can give you amazing highs and make life very enjoyable it also has many downsides. I suffer from severe social anxiety at times and general panic attacks.

I've always felt bad for those who suffer social anxiety.

I have had experience of black people one day making fun of me for following the law and making comments about how things go down differently in black neighborhoods violence wise and the very next day complain about how unfair it is the black people are viewed as less law abiding and violent than white people. Of course there might be some exaggeration and humor when they talk about the former but from the vibe I get they're often being honest. From what I've seen from the crime stats it seems to be the case.

Values and perceptions are influenced by environment.

Sicilians in history had long given up on respect for governmental authority because of how often Sicily had been invaded and conquered. It's not a surprise how this led to a mistrust of government and eventually a lack of respect for those who acquiesced to its authority.

Again, I'm not saying that this is the same thing as what you're describing and I certainly wouldn't suggest that it is a racial issue....it's a cultural one. Anyone outside a culture looking in will inevitably be wrong about many things. I do think the examination of culture and cultural attitudes, beliefs, prejudices, and the like is beneficial...even if it's ugly for awhile. I don't pretend to have any expertise on black culture, it's subcultures, or the results of such things.

I don't see how anyone does....it's extremely difficult to have such conversations in our nation. We would rather stay quiet out of the idea of politeness or something.

Again, in hopes to avoid the many reports from other posters....I don't attribute any of my opinions to race. I've speculated about some aspects of culture. I don't think it's a monolithic culture either. It's as varied and diverse as any other culture.

No offense was intended if any offense was taken.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Interesting question. From my own personal experience the emotions and emotional reactions of feeling shame or guilt are quite different. Feeling shame makes me want to conceal and hide while feeling guilt compels me to be open and talk about it. People with white guilt probably find it very easy to talk about what their ancestors of their race did to another. It's therapeutic for them.

Same. From my exprience many people of color seem to be a few decades behind many white people in racial relations. Like they are stuck in the 1950s or something. I've seen really innocent looking Asian women say horribly racist things about black people out in the open. Usually when they do I cannot help but laugh uncontrollably. They often look at me with a confused look on their face and say something like.. "Hey... what are you laughing about? I am being serious." Lol.

Wow
Wow
Wowwie wow wow.

A lot to unpack here, not tonight though...

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
OK, but you aren't going to convince me that it's healthy to live an insular life emotionally isolated from other people in self-absorbtion.

I am not arguing for that.

Here is a video from Paul Bloom. While we have slightly different takes and concerns about empathy his thoughts about the downsides of empathy are pretty good and thought provoking. Might mean more coming from a Yale Professor rather than some random guy on the internet telling you that empathy is bad.. lol.

I can understand the brain taking a while to adjust. Empathy is so lauded in our culture that it will take many awhile to digest that it is riddled with negative evolutionary baggage.

It sounds to me like your religious upbringing was highly damaging. I understand that and I hope you can find peace.

Yes. My religious upbringing was extremely damaging, although I have to admit that my innate hyper emotionally empathetic psychology was probably going end up being damaged regardless of whether or not I grew up in a religious environment or not. I will say though that I believe religion and more specifically the Christian religion greatly exasperated it. As a highly empathetic kid I should have had proper psychological counseling to deal with my emotions, instead I was raised in a faith where I was encouraged to simply express as much emotional empathy as possible. I do have anger regarding the adults I was raised with as a kid. While I try to be humble and rational and understand that they couldn't possibly understand the ramifications and consequences of what they were teaching me would lead too.. I also cannot help but wonder why they couldn't have been a little more introspective and self aware.

I do consider myself incredibly fortunate that I eventually became self aware of the psychological issues I developed from my former faith. From reading posts on the apologetics forum and hearing complaints from former theists I am surprised many of my own personal issues are not raised. Why it's not right to teach children that it's glorious to be martyred for the faith. Or that the world hates them from the extension of them being a Christian. Frankly I just see it as sadomasochistic. The same reason I have such a visceral reaction towards adults who peddle white guilt and victimhood to children via feminism or from a racial lens.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not arguing for that.

Here is a video from Paul Bloom. While we have slightly different takes and concerns about empathy his thoughts about the downsides of empathy are pretty good and thought provoking. Might mean more coming from a Yale Professor rather than some random guy on the internet telling you that empathy is bad.. lol.

I can understand the brain taking a while to adjust. Empathy is so lauded in our culture that it will take many awhile to digest that it is riddled with negative evolutionary baggage.

Yes. My religious upbringing was extremely damaging, although I have to admit that my innate hyper emotionally empathetic psychology was probably going end up being damaged regardless of whether or not I grew up in a religious environment or not. I will say though that I believe religion and more specifically the Christian religion greatly exasperated it. As a highly empathetic kid I should have had proper psychological counseling to deal with my emotions, instead I was raised in a faith where I was encouraged to simply express as much emotional empathy as possible. I do have anger regarding the adults I was raised with as a kid. While I try to be humble and rational and understand that they couldn't possibly understand the ramifications and consequences of what they were teaching me would lead too.. I also cannot help but wonder why they couldn't have been a little more introspective and self aware.

I do consider myself incredibly fortunate that I eventually became self aware of the psychological issues I developed from my former faith. From reading posts on the apologetics forum and hearing complaints from former theists I am surprised many of my own personal issues are not raised. Why it's not right to teach children that it's glorious to be martyred for the faith. Or that the world hates them from the extension of them being a Christian. Frankly I just see it as sadomasochistic. The same reason I have such a visceral reaction towards adults who peddle white guilt and victimhood to children via feminism or from a racial lens.

I have heard of that professor. I think he sensationalizes and exaggerates the evidence, and ignores other evidence that empathy is associated with well-being.

Empathy is not "lauded in our culture". In the age of Trump, how could that even be taken seriously? There has been a marked decrease in empathy in the last few decades, as noted by sociologists.

Speaking of Psychology: The decline of empathy and the rise of narcissism

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How does a thread that is not about a black person turn into a "black people this, black people that..." thread?

I have no idea why person with a Black Lives Matter avatar.

Upvote 0