• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

This might help

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenix_kid82

Jul 29, 2004
Sydney
✟495.00
Faith
Christian
Yo. Sup?

I thought i would share some stuff. I hope it encourages others and stimulates constructive thinking that might help to overcome self harm.

I have about been self harming since i was a child, since about 9 or 10, and i started cutting when i was 13. At times i would act this out every night or every second night, other times every few weeks, and now these "incidences" tend to be months apart. I don't feel i am addicted, i never really considered it a huge problem, it's simply one of many things i might do when i'm holding too much inside and i don't want to hurt anyone else. I've heard theories, i don't feel i fit in any particular box, and because of this and a few other things, i am diagnosed to have traits of BPD (among other things).

I thought i would give some encouragement to anyone who might be struggling with this. Don't feel condemned, don't feel bad, like you've let others down, like you've let God down. God is always on your side, He always understands and although some things we do breaks His heart, He doesn't want us to carry another burden of guilt over this. Jesus took that away on the cross.

There are alternatives to cutting. Some of these aren't any less risky or any more healthy, some are considered other forms of self harm, some i would advise against. Usually, i get out of the house and go for a walk, even if it's 3am. I love walking around the city with my discman. I talk to ppl if i feel like it, i go to internet places and forum sites when i'm online. I pursue interests like reading up on politics and the atrocities around the world (that's a burden on my heart but i believe it's a Godly one because i want to help others). I write, i eat, i sleep, i have a nice bath, but when things are really getting to me i might drink and/or call an ex-boyfriend and hook up.

God's teaching me stuff. He's helping me to open up to the right people and share things in healthy ways.

Always stay in the word, always. The Psalms are always good for comfort and knowing God's heart towards us. Music is good. & when i write, i try not to write anything too morbid. I try to keep my focus forward, i try to write about things that make me mad and what i want to do about them, i pray for ppl around the world, i might even make plans in my mind (although i've settled down from my hypomanic days). When i have constructive things and ideas occupying my mind, i feel like i'm getting somewhere, where as if i brood on the things that triggered me or the answers that i don't have, i get frustrated and more self destructive.

Cat59

Just me
Aug 28, 2003
Beautiful Wales
Visit site
✟40,090.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Good advice always helps others, especially when it's like this..

phoenix_kid82 said:
Don't feel condemned, don't feel bad, like you've let others down, like you've let God down. God is always on your side, He always understands and although some things we do breaks His heart, He doesn't want us to carry another burden of guilt over this. Jesus took that away on the cross
Thanks!!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.