This is what my gardener did to my Bougainvillea. Very mad. What would you do?

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
bull [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse].jpg
bull [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse].jpg

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have two of them and they both grow differently. One grows as a big round mountain and the other grows helter skelter. It looks like he trimmed them to be bushes? Is he new for you? If you don't like them, fire him? Or tell him you are displeased and give him one more chance.
I only trim mine when they are going where they don't belong.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
  • Useful
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi CCW,

Well, having lived for about 30 years in South Florida, severely pruning bougainvillea is a pretty normal way to maintain them. Otherwise, they tend to get real leggy and throw out long branches that have murderous thorns. I'd suggest, if this is your only complaint, that you see what happens next spring. I think you'll find that they will grow back even more full and beautiful than before.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He/she may have done you a favour. Bouganvillea usually benefit from a good pruning and you may find they're a mass of flowers next time they bloom. Besides - bouganvilleas grow so fast they'll cover that shed by next Thursday. :)

OB
He does this every time. My bougainvillea's was starting to look good. With out warning he does this . The neighbor caught him and stopped this. He also trimmed my lemon tree. And damaged little pansies and other plant, that was under it. I was trying to protect from the heat wave. He doesn't listen to me. I'm tired and done with this .

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I read an article; and watched two videos on the subject. This one was the most intense.

He does this every time. My bougainvillea's was starting to look good. With out warning he does this . The neighbor caught him and stopped this. He also trimmed my lemon tree. And damaged little pansies and other plant, that was under it. I was trying to protect from the heat wave. He doesn't listen to me. I'm tired and done with this .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You should let him go. As far as I know you are only supposed to cut the dead wood on citrus trees.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi CCW,

Well, having lived for about 30 years in South Florida, severely pruning bougainvillea is a pretty normal way to maintain them. Otherwise, they tend to get real leggy and throw out long branches that have murderous thorns. I'd suggest, if this is your only complaint, that you see what happens next spring. I think you'll find that they will grow back even more full and beautiful than before.

God bless,
Ted
They don't get leggy , where I live at all. The first time, he cut one to a foot the other 2 foot. He just ruins my plants . But they grow back. He want 90 dollars a month. But he comes twice a month. And just cuts the crap out of every thing. And tore perfectly healthy flower plants out.
Also he filled up my trash can and my blue recyclable can. So I have no trash can , until Wednesday.

Upvote 0

Hannah66

Oct 6, 2006
✟49,161.00
Faith
Baptist
What instructions did you give him? They can grow out of hand and wondering if he has cut them back with this knowledge. Looks very neat and tidy. When do they flower? It will grow back. Just let him know that you are upset with what he has done and possibly look for another gardener, but they will grow back. Best of luck!

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What instructions did you give him? They can grow out of hand and wondering if he has cut them back with this knowledge. Looks very neat and tidy. When do they flower? It will grow back. Just let him know that you are upset with what he has done and possibly look for another gardener, but they will grow back. Best of luck!
In CA , they flower all the time. He butchered them a couple a month ago. But the shed needed to be painted. But I told him. I want them no shorter ,than me the next time, he trims them . I'm 4'11" . The one on the right is way shorter than me . My neighbor has a teenager son. I will talk to them tomorrow.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like hiring a "house girl" (maid) in the Philippines. You can't instruct them in how to keep your house, they keep house as they see fit. You have to hire and fire until you chance upon the one who keeps your house 90% of the way you want it. I was aghast at that situation until a local friend convinced me that's how it's done.

• Informative
Reactions: samiam
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like hiring a "house girl" (maid) in the Philippines. You can't instruct them in how to keep your house, they keep house as they see fit. You have to hire and fire until you chance upon the one who keeps your house 90% of the way you want it. I was aghast at that situation until a local friend convinced me that's how it's done.
He gets 90 dollars a month to work twice a month. I will talk to him. But I fill he ignores me .

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
He gets 90 dollars a month to work twice a month. I will talk to him. But I fill ignored.

That sounds like a pretty good deal; if you are getting what you want.

Here is how I would handle it. I would talk in a very kind tone. You might save this business relationship, and at the same time, help him with his business. I would say this slowly, and in a soft spoken, low tone. If you speak quietly, people move closer to hear:

"In a mutually beneficial business deal, both parties get what they want. I live here; and I pay people to set up, and maintain, my place the way I like it. Our agreement is that you give me what I've asked for; and I pay you at the price we agreed on. What you have been delivering hasn't been meeting my expectations of what I've asked for. It seems that something is being lost in communication. I would like to work with you on that; so If you have any questions about what I'm asking for; please ask. If you feel that you can't deliver what I'm asking, at the price that we agreed on; then maybe we should take our business relationship back to the negotiating stage. What are your thoughts?"

Box him in. Give him a pen and paper. Have him write down your instructions. Be specific about what you want. Have him repeat your instructions back to you. Say, "let's hear what you've got written down there."Thank him with a smile. UGHH! I forgot about the covid mask.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They don't get leggy , where I live at all. The first time, he cut one to a foot the other 2 foot. He just ruins my plants . But they grow back. He want 90 dollars a month. But he comes twice a month. And just cuts the crap out of every thing. And tore perfectly healthy flower plants out.
Also he filled up my trash can and my blue recyclable can. So I have no trash can , until Wednesday.

Hi CCW,

Oh, so this isn't something new that he's done. Sorry, I was operating on this being the first time and it was, therefore, new to you. So let him go. What's the problem. You don't seem to be happy with much of his work and it would seem that you have felt that way for some time. It seems that you think he charges too much for his twice monthly visits. If you want to be mad at someone, by now, you should be mad at yourself that you keep letting him care for your property.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He/she may have done you a favour. Bouganvillea usually benefit from a good pruning and you may find they're a mass of flowers next time they bloom. Besides - bouganvilleas grow so fast they'll cover that shed by next Thursday. :)

OB
Every time I see's a bloom of anything .He cuts the plant to nothing.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi CCW,

Oh, so this isn't something new that he's done. Sorry, I was operating on this being the first time and it was, therefore, new to you. So let him go. What's the problem. You don't seem to be happy with much of his work and it would seem that you have felt that way for some time. It seems that you think he charges too much for his twice monthly visits. If you want to be mad at someone, by now, you should be mad at yourself that you keep letting him care for your property.

God bless,
Ted
I let him go, but rehired him. I just need to find someone else.

Upvote 0