BW
✟23,341.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The well-known view of hell is that it is a place where people are tortured with full consciousness. But this view is biblically wrong and is the fatal consequence of wrong interpretation. The Bible makes it clear from the very beginning that hell is nothing other than eternal death. Eternal death means that one no longer exists and will never return to life.

Only the Book of Revelation speaks of a place of eternal torment. However, one cannot take the Book of Revelation, which is probably the most symbolic book, and ignore all other books where annihilationism is taught. The book of Revelation is full of metaphors and such passages should not be understood literally.

Jesus' words when he said, "Where the fire does not go out and their worm does not die" is also often used as evidence of eternal torment, although Jesus does not use the word torture here. However, these words of Jesus are easy to explain. What Jesus wanted to make clear with these words is that eternal death is a state that will never end.

The eternal death, or otherwise called the second death is the final punishment. The people who are thrown into the lake of fire will literally be burned into non-existence, like a piece of paper thrown into a fire. Revelation 21:8

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you but just saying "there is no hell" based on your personal belief and then taking some verses out of context. I do agree its not place where people get tortured by the devil or demons lol. A place made for them yet they are tormenting humans? Hell is real a place made for Satan and his angels never made for man. Its the part you telling us what Jesus was really saying. Well no man has this right when it come to the word of God. Saying Jesus is the only way to the Father to that would be AMEN!

If we study this we know its not this cut and dry. There are others verses that are left out where you nor I can fully tell anyone what it really means because no one knows for sure. For me..when I was very young asked Him how can you send all these people to hell? He came right back with "For God so loved the world. Everyone has a choice". What matters is being with Him vs never with Him. We get no say here we know this right? There is no ooh those poor people have to suffer and (forgive me Father) burn forever. We don't see the heart nor see who He writes in His books. He is the judge and how we might feel about this HERE .. that's just it. When all this happens we will be in heaven and ALL THESE kind of thoughts we will never have there. We will never think them. We get no say here.

Reactions: firesoforion
Upvote 0

nhisname

Dec 21, 2020
SW MO
✟28,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The well-known view of hell is that it is a place where people are tortured with full consciousness. But this view is biblically wrong and is the fatal consequence of wrong interpretation. The Bible makes it clear from the very beginning that hell is nothing other than eternal death. Eternal death means that one no longer exists and will never return to life.

Only the Book of Revelation speaks of a place of eternal torment. However, one cannot take the Book of Revelation, which is probably the most symbolic book, and ignore all other books where annihilationism is taught. The book of Revelation is full of metaphors and such passages should not be understood literally.

Jesus' words when he said, "Where the fire does not go out and their worm does not die" is also often used as evidence of eternal torment, although Jesus does not use the word torture here. However, these words of Jesus are easy to explain. What Jesus wanted to make clear with these words is that eternal death is a state that will never end.

The eternal death, or otherwise called the second death is the final punishment. The people who are thrown into the lake of fire will literally be burned into non-existence, like a piece of paper thrown into a fire. Revelation 21:8
Luke 17:19-30

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Mod hat thread move.jpg

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My ¢¢, Below are quotes from three Jewish sources; the 1917 Jewish Encyclopedia, 1972 Encyclopedia Judaica and the Talmud. Which to date have not been, and I am convinced cannot be, disputed.
= = = = =
…..Many misguided folks claim that the Christian concept of "Hell" was somehow associated with Dante's 14th century writing “Inferno,” or some later writing. But according to these three sources, at least 16 centuries before Dante even scribbled one line, among the יהודים /Yehudim/ιουδαιων/Youdaion/Jews in Israel, before and during the time of Jesus, there was a significant belief in a place of everlasting torment of the wicked and they called it both sheol and gehinnom. Sheol and gehinnom are written Hades and Gehenna, respectively, in both the 225 BC LXX and the NT.

Islam began about 620AD, Islam also had a fiery place of punishment which they called Gahannam.
As can be seen by the citations in this post The Jews later called both Sheol/Hades, and Ge Hinnom/Gehenna, “Hell.”
…..Disclaimer: There were different factions within Judaism; Sadducees, Pharisees, Essenes etc. and different beliefs about resurrection, hell etc. These differing beliefs do not disprove anything in this post.

[1]1925 Jewish Encyclopedia, Gehenna
The place where children were sacrificed to the god Moloch … in the "valley of the sons of Hinnom," to the south of Jerusalem (Josh. xv. 8, passim; II Kings xxiii. 10; Jer. ii. 23; vii. 31-32; xix. 6, 13-14). … the valley was deemed to be accursed, and "Gehenna" therefore soon became a figurative equivalent for "hell." Hell, like paradise, was created by God (Sotah 22a);[“Soon” in this paragraph would be about 700 BC +/-, DA]
Note: This is according to the ancient Jews, centuries before the Christian era, NOT any assumed/alleged bias of “modern” Christian translators. DA
…..This refutes the patently false narrative that the eleven [11] times Jesus mentioned “Gehenna” He was referring to the valley of Ge Hinnom/Gehenna where trash and bodies were supposedly always burning. It never happened!

”(I)n general …sinners go to hell immediately after their death. The famous teacher Johanan b. Zakkai [30 BC-90 AD] wept before his death because he did not know whether he would go to paradise or to hell (Ber. 28b). The pious go to paradise, and sinners to hell(B.M. 83b).
“But as regards the heretics, etc., and Jeroboam, Nebat's son, hell shall pass away, but they shall not pass away" (R. H. 17a; comp. Shab [Talmud]. 33b). All that descend into Gehenna shall come up again, with the exception of three classes of men: those who have committed adultery, or shamed their neighbors, or vilified them (B. M. 58b).[/i]
“… heretics and the Roman oppressors go to Gehenna, and the same fate awaits the Persians, the oppressors of the Babylonian Jews (Ber. 8b).[Talmud] “When Nebuchadnezzar descended into hell, [שאול/Sheol] all its inhabitants were afraid that he was coming to rule over them (Shab. 149a; [Talmud] comp. Isa. xiv. 9-10). The Book of Enoch [x. 6, xci. 9, etal] also says that it is chiefly the heathen who are to be cast into the fiery pool on the Day of Judgment.
"The Lord, the Almighty, will punish them on the Day of Judgment by putting fire and worms into their flesh, so that they cry out with pain unto all eternity" (Judith xvi. 17). The sinners in Gehenna will be filled with pain when God puts back the souls into the dead bodies on the Day of Judgment, according toIsa. xxxiii. 11 (Sanh. 108b)[Talmud].
Note, scripture references are highlighted in blue.
= = = = = = = = = =
[2]1972 Encyclopedia Judaica:
Gehinnom (Heb. גֵּי בֶן־הִנֹּם, גֵּי בְנֵי הִנֹּם, גֵּיא בֶן־הִנֹּם, גֵּיא הִנֹּם; Gr. Γέεννα; "Valley of Ben-Hinnom, Valley of [the Son (s) of] Hinnom," Gehenna), a valley south of Jerusalem on one of the borders between the territories of Judah and Benjamin, between the Valley of *Rephaim and *En-rogel (Josh. 15:8; 18:16). It is identified with Wadi er-Rababi.
…..During the time of the Monarchy, Gehinnom, at a place called Topheth, was the site of a cult which involved the burning of children (II Kings 23:10; Jer. 7:31; 32:35 et al.; ). Jeremiah repeatedly condemned this cult and predicted that on its account Topheth and the Valley of the Son of Hinnom would be called the Valley of the "Slaughter" (Jer. 19:5–6).
In Judaism the name Gehinnom is generally used as an appellation of the place of torment reserved for the wicked after death. The New Testament used the Greek form Gehenna in the same sense.
Link:
= = = = = = = = = =
[3]Talmud -Tractate Rosh Hashanah Chapter 1.
The school of Hillel says: . . . but as for Minim, [i.e. followers of Jesus] informers and disbelievers, who deny the Torah, or Resurrection, or separate themselves from the congregation, or who inspire their fellowmen with dread of them, or who sin and cause others to sin, as did Jeroboam the son of Nebat and his followers, they all descend to Gehenna, and are judged there from generation to generation, as it is said [Isa. Xxxii, 11]:
"And they shall go forth and look upon the carcases of the men who have transgressed against Me; for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched." Even when Gehenna will be destroyed, they will not be consumed, as it is written[Psalms, xlix. 15]: "And their forms wasteth away in the nether world," which the sages comment upon to mean that their forms shall endure even when the grave is no more.
Concerning them Hannah says [I Sam. ii. 10]: "The adversaries of the Lord shall be broken to pieces."
When Jesus taught e.g.,
• “Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:” Matthew 25:41
• "these shall go away into eternal punishment, Matthew 25:46"
• "the fire of hell [Γέεννα/gehenna] where the fire is not quenched and the worm does not die, 3 times Mark 9:43-48"
• "cast into a fiery furnace where there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth,” Matthew 13:42, Matthew 13:50
• “But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.” Matthew 18:6 [A fate worse than death. DA]
• “Not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven. …And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” Matthew 7:23
• “woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born. ” Matthew 26:24 [A fate worse than death]
• “But I say unto you, that it shall be more tolerable in that day for Sodom, than for that city.”
[A fate worse than death. DA]
• Luke 16:(22) And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
(23) And in hell [αδη/hades] he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
(24) And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
Luke 16:26
(26) And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. Luke 16:22-24
…..These teachings tacitly reaffirmed and sanctioned a then existing significant Jewish view of eternal hell, c.f. Jewish Encyclopedia, Encyclopedia Judaica and Talmud, supra.
In Matt. 18:6, 26:24 and Luk 10:12, see above, Jesus teaches there is a punishment worse than death or nonexistence.
…..A punishment worse than death, without mercy, is also mentioned in Hebrews 10:28-31.

Heb 10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. [A fate worse than death. DA]
…..how much sorer punishment,””Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord,””It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God” these deprecations certainly do not sound like everyone will be saved, no matter what.
…..Jesus is quoted as using the word death 17 times in the gospels, if He intended to say “eternal death,” in Matt 25:46, that is what He would have said but He didn’t, He said “eternal punishment/aionios kolasis.
….The Sadducees did not believe in the resurrection, see Acts of the Apostles 23:8. They knew that everybody died; rich, poor; young, old; good, bad; men, women; children, infants; sick, healthy, and knew that it was permanent and often it did not involve punishment.
When Jesus taught, e.g., “eternal punishment” the Sadducees would not have understood it as simply death, it very likely would have meant something worse to them.
…..Re: Matt 25:46 concerning “punishment” one early church father wrote,

“Then these reap no advantage from their punishment, as it seems: moreover, I would say that they are not punished unless they are conscious of the punishment.” Justin Martyr [A.D. 110-165.] Dialogue with Trypho Chapter 4
…..Jesus attended Temple and synagogues for about 25 years +/-. He undoubtedly knew what the Jews believed about the fate of the unrighteous.
He opposed the Jewish leaders many times, If the Jewish teaching on hell was wrong, why wouldn’t Jesus tell them there was no hell, no eternal punishment etc?
Why would Jesus teach “eternal punishment,” etc. to Jews who believed, e.g.

"The Lord, the Almighty, will punish them on the Day of Judgment by putting fire and worms into their flesh, so that they cry out with pain unto all eternity" ([Judith xvi:17]Judith xvi. 17).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What about when Jesus said:

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." Matthew 25:41

“Then they will go away to eternal punishment" Matthew 25:46

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And what does it teach us? The reality of heaven and hell and salvation and condemnation.
It doesn't rule out the OP's position though, because it takes place before judgement day and the second death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emun

Aug 31, 2022
BW
✟23,341.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What about when Jesus said:

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." Matthew 25:41

“Then they will go away to eternal punishment" Matthew 25:46
Eternal punishment / Eternal fire = Eternal death

You will not find a single passage in the entire Bible that speaks of an eternal place of torment, except for two passages in Revelation. The rest of the Bible makes it clear that hell is nothing other than death. Already at the very beginning we can see that. When God commanded Adam not to eat from the tree, he was not warning him of a place of eternal torment but of death. Death is the last enemy, and only those who believe will conquer death, but those who do not believe will be devoured by death.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You will not find a single passage in the entire Bible that speaks of an eternal place of torment, except for two passages in Revelation. The rest of the Bible makes it clear that hell is nothing other than death. Already at the very beginning we can see that. When God commanded Adam not to eat from the tree, he was not warning him of a place of eternal torment but of death. Death is the last enemy, and only those who believe will conquer death, but those who do not believe will be devoured by death.
What about Jesus saying there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth?

Upvote 0

IoanC

Oct 9, 2022
Ploiesti, Prahova
Visit site
✟29,183.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

What Is Hell?

My personal understanding of hell is that if someone hates God, this is a perpetual state of restlessness because hating God doesn't make sense and it cannot end. Therefore, you might as well call this"hell" or "being burned by a fire".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hell is real but it is annihilationism.

The story, as I said, is a parable. A parable is an "invented" story to illustrate a point.
Balderdash! A parable explains something unknown/not understood by comparing it to something, known/understood. Every parable example given is something which has happened or could happen. No fairy tales or tall tales. At some time in history a shepherd searched for lost sheep and found a lost sheep. At some time in history a woman lost and searched for lost money, etc.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

EOB Matthew:25:46 When he will answer them, saying: ‘Amen, I tell you: as much as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 These [ones on the left] will go away into eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] punishment, [κόλασις/kolasis] but the righteous into eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] life.”[p. 96]
…..Greek has been the language of the Eastern Greek Orthodox church since its inception, 2000 years ago +/-. Note, the native Greek speaking Eastern Orthodox Greek scholars, translators of the EOB, translated “aionios,” in Matt 25:46, as “eternal,” NOT “age.”
…..Who is better qualified than the team of native Greek speaking scholars, translators of the Eastern Greek Orthodox Bible [EOB], quoted above and below, to know the correct translation of the Greek in the N.T.?
Link to EOB online:
…..The Greek word “kolasis” occurs only twice in the N.T., 1st occurrence Matt 25:46, above, and 2nd occurrence 1 John 4:18., below.

EOB 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, because fear is connected with punishment.[κόλασις/kolasis] But the one who fears is not yet perfect in love.[p. 518]
In the EOB the Greek word “kolasis” is translated “punishment” in both Matt 25:46 and 1 John 4:18.
…..Some badly informed folks claim “kolasis” really means “prune” or “correction.”
Sorry, that is impossible, both “prune” and “correction” are verbs. “Kolasis” is a noun. One cannot translate a noun as a verb.
Also according to the EOB Greek scholars “kolasis” means “punishment.”
Note: in 1 John 4:18 there is no correction, the one with “kolasis” is not made perfect. Thus “kolasis” does not/cannot mean “correction.”
…..It is understood that modern Greek differs from koine Greek but I am confident that the native Greek speaking EOB scholars, supported by 2000 years +/- of uninterrupted Greek scholarship, are competent enough to know the correct translation of obsolete Greek words which may have changed in meaning or are no longer in use and to translate them correctly. Just as scholars today know the meaning of obsolete English words which occur in the 1611 KJV and can define them correctly.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your unsupported opinion of what you think verses "really mean" are meaningless. Can you provide any scripture to support anything you say?

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How about this verse " eternal punishment " ?
Matthew 25:46
These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

Blessings.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Emun

Aug 31, 2022
BW
✟23,341.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Balderdash! A parable explains something unknown/not understood by comparing it to something, known/understood. Every parable example given is something which has happened or could happen. No fairy tales or tall tales. At some time in history a shepherd searched for lost sheep and found a lost sheep. At some time in history a woman lost and searched for lost money, etc.
Strong's Exhaustive Concordance

comparison, figure, parable, proverb.
From paraballo; a similitude ("parable"), i.e. (symbolic) fictitious narrative (of common life conveying a moral), apothegm or adage -- comparison, figure, parable, proverb.

Upvote 0