There is A flood Story that is OLDER than both bibles

wildernesse

Use less and live more.
Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟16,673.00
How do you know that the science book is wrong in the first place? You have another source that you could check. But if you check and see that the mammal section (and all other sections) are correct, then it is wrong to say that an error in one section makes the entire work false.

How do you know the flood account in the Bible happened? Did you see it? Why do you trust the witness who wrote it down?

Stone tablets can be dated using historical measures--not carbon dating because they are stone and carbon dating is for organic means. Not by dating the stones because then you will only find out how old the stones are and not when they were altered. The stone tablets in my argument are hypothetical, so I don't have any reason why they specifically are correct because the ones I'm talking about don't exist.

How does the fact that there are many flood accounts make the Biblical one true or a message from God? Just because something similar is described by a bunch of different people doesn't make it true either, for that matter. Lots of people have similar experiences in their alien abuctions, but I don't believe their stories accurately describe aliens or UFOs.

--tibac

Upvote 0

paulewog

Father of Insanity; Child of Music.
Mar 23, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, so because there's another version of the story older than the Bible automatically means the Bible COPIED it?

Who is to say this: the flood happened, and the stone tablet is a replication of the TRUE story, while the Bible is the "God Inspired" version.... i.e., what really happened. :)

How do I know the Bible is true? That's a whole 'nother topic, but in short ... "I believe, therefore I know." It is true.... and it can't be proven wrong, and never has, and never will. :)

Since neither of us are moving anywhere, I'm withdrawing myself from the issue. I used to keep arguing, but it never got anywhere, hehe :D

Upvote 0

wildernesse

Use less and live more.
Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟16,673.00
Regardless, though - that stone tablet was not inspired by God. For all you know, it could be just another myth.

Like the Bible? How do you know that the Bible is inspired by God? Because it says so? Why trust what it says about itself?

Hypotheticals outside of reality are not smart.
Hypotheticals are neither smart nor dumb as they are not sentient. But this is why a lot of people don't think too hard about heaven either--it's totally outside of reality.

--tibac

Upvote 0

drom

Sep 7, 2002
Visit site
✟199.00
Originally posted by wildernesse
How do you know that the science book is wrong in the first place? You have another source that you could check. But if you check and see that the mammal section (and all other sections) are correct, then it is wrong to say that an error in one section makes the entire work false.

How do you know the flood account in the Bible happened? Did you see it? Why do you trust the witness who wrote it down?

Stone tablets can be dated using historical measures--not carbon dating because they are stone and carbon dating is for organic means. Not by dating the stones because then you will only find out how old the stones are and not when they were altered. The stone tablets in my argument are hypothetical, so I don't have any reason why they specifically are correct because the ones I'm talking about don't exist.

How does the fact that there are many flood accounts make the Biblical one true or a message from God? Just because something similar is described by a bunch of different people doesn't make it true either, for that matter. Lots of people have similar experiences in their alien abuctions, but I don't believe their stories accurately describe aliens or UFOs.

--tibac

Fine you want to go there ok HOW THE H*** do you know the BIBLE isn't wrong, I mean the christian people think that everything in the bible is the truth. and you can't proof that it is.

Upvote 0

drom

Sep 7, 2002
Visit site
✟199.00
lol its so funny to hear you guys talk about the bible,  lol and believe what you are saying.   So i know when i die i will not goto HEAVEN OR HELL, i know when i die i will just die.  But you guys are like, I am going to place that i can't see and a place that no one else has ever seen, and don't say just cause its in the bible there is no proof.  So i will believe what my heart believes.

NOT WHATS IN A BIBLE a BOOK LOL

Upvote 0
Originally posted by paulewog
I know, I'll be said to be very ignorant and narrow minded.... but the Bible cannot be proven wrong (though people have tried for about 2000 years now ;)). And by the way, you cannot prove Creation, nor Evolution, nor God, scientifically. It is impossible :)

Why can't the Bible be proven wrong? Is it the same reason why the Koran and the Vedas can't be proven wrong?

Too bad a literal Genesis has been shown to not be accurate. Too bad the evidence for evolution is so overwealming that there is no reasonable doubt that it is a fact. However, unreasonable doubt still exists.

Upvote 0

wildernesse

Use less and live more.
Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟16,673.00
drom,

It would help if I knew exactly what in my post you were responding to.

I don't know if the Bible is completely factual or not, but I believe it to hold truth, and for me it holds the Ultimate truth.

You also can't prove that the Bible is completely false either. I don't think there's any reason to get so heated and unintelligible.

--tibac

Upvote 0

drom

Sep 7, 2002
Visit site
✟199.00
Originally posted by RufusAtticus
Why can't the Bible be proven wrong? Is it the same reason why the Koran and the Vedas can't be proven wrong?

Too bad a literal Genesis has been shown to be accurate. Too bad the evidence for evolution is so overwealming that there is no reasonable doubt that it is a fact. However, unreasonable doubt still exists.

There has been alot that has been proven wrong about he bible but the people that believe in the bible don't want to believe it.

Upvote 0

drom

Sep 7, 2002
Visit site
✟199.00
Originally posted by wildernesse
drom,

It would help if I knew exactly what in my post you were responding to.

I don't know if the Bible is completely factual or not, but I believe it to hold truth, and for me it holds the Ultimate truth.

You also can't prove that the Bible is completely false either. I don't think there's any reason to get so heated and unintelligible.

--tibac

lol i read your reply and like i said there has been alot in the bible that has been proven wrong.

Upvote 0

drom

Sep 7, 2002
Visit site
✟199.00
Anyway i know christian's look at people like me "people that don't believe in god" and say there going to hell and there stupid and crazy and all the bad things people would like to say but don't. 

i am in college right now and i like to think I AM A GOOD PERSON I DON'T HATE ANYONE OR TRY TO DO ANYTHING BAD.  so i think i am ok even if i don't believe in god. 

And i know how alot of christians are my hole family are christians but when i told him that i don't believe it god they all when crazy saying i will goto hell and other crazy stuff but oh well people are just weird.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Originally posted by drom
Anyway i know christian's look at people like me "people that don't believe in god" and say there going to hell and there stupid and crazy and all the bad things people would like to say but don't. 

i am in college right now and i like to think I AM A GOOD PERSON I DON'T HATE ANYONE OR TRY TO DO ANYTHING BAD.  so i think i am ok even if i don't believe in god. 

And i know how alot of christians are my hole family are christians but when i told him that i don't believe it god they all when crazy saying i will goto hell and other crazy stuff but oh well people are just weird.

drom, chill. If you have issues about religion with members of your family, venting that anger on this board to complete strangers is not the answer.

While I can't speak for all Christians, most of them don't go around telling people how they are going to H*ll, and are perfectedly willing to accept you for who you are, not what you believe in. If people in your family can't do that, then that's their problem, not yours.

Upvote 0

drom

Sep 7, 2002
Visit site
✟199.00
Originally posted by Pete Harcoff
drom, chill. If you have issues about religion with members of your family, venting that anger on this board to complete strangers is not the answer.

While I can't speak for all Christians, most of them don't go around telling people how they are going to H*ll, and are perfectedly willing to accept you for who you are, not what you believe in. If people in your family can't do that, then that's their problem, not yours.

Yeah i know, sometimes i think that the people in the south "North Carolina" are still living in the middle ages.

anyway we need to get back on the topic.

Upvote 0

chickenman

evil unamerican
May 8, 2002
Visit site
✟17,374.00
so far its all been a vague reference to a stone tablet

what this is reffering to is the "epic of gilgamesh" - a sumerian myth which contains details of a flood.

http://www.theologywebsite.com/etext/gilgamesh/gintro.shtml

http://www.hist.unt.edu/ane-09.htm

an excerpt from the epic;

Tear down (this) house, build a ship!
Give up possessions, seek thou life.
Forswear (worldly) goods and keep the soul alive!
Aboard the ship take thou the seed of all living things. Six days and [six] nights
Blows the flood wind, as the south-storm sweeps the land.
When the seventh day arrived,
The flood(-carrying) south-storm subsided in the battle,
Which it had fought like an army.
The sea grew quiet, the tempest was still, the flood ceased. When the seventh day arrived,
I sent forth and set free a dove.
The dove went forth, but came back; Then I sent forth and set free a raven.
The raven went forth and, seeing that the waters had diminished,
He eats, circles, caws, and turns not round.
Then I let out (all) to the four winds and offered a sacrifice. The gods smelled the sweet savor,
The gods crowded like flies about the sacrificer.

sound like any story you know?

the most parsimonious explanation, sans religious bias, is that the israelites borrowed aspects of the epic from the sumerians, possibly during their captivity in babylon.

Upvote 0

drom

Sep 7, 2002
Visit site
✟199.00
Originally posted by chickenman
so far its all been a vague reference to a stone tablet

what this is reffering to is the "epic of gilgamesh" - a sumerian myth which contains details of a flood.

http://www.theologywebsite.com/etext/gilgamesh/gintro.shtml

http://www.hist.unt.edu/ane-09.htm

an excerpt from the epic;

sound like any story you know?

the most parsimonious explanation, sans religious bias, is that the israelites borrowed aspects of the epic from the sumerians, possibly during their captivity in babylon.

There is also a apart of the story that says that a guy makes a ark and puts all the animals on it. just like in the bible, so the people that made the bible got the story from the tablets.  SORRY BUT ITS TRUE.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't get it? The event happened, but someone else tells about it? so what? considering Noah told his grandkids what happened, I'm sure that some other people fudged the details to their kids, so what? Proves to me that its true all the more and the bible is yet again right :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drom

Sep 7, 2002
Visit site
✟199.00
Originally posted by LouisBooth
I don't get it? The event happened, but someone else tells about it? so what? considering Noah told his grandkids what happened, I'm sure that some other people fudged the details to their kids, so what? Proves to me that its true all the more and the bible is yet again right :)

let me guess you are one of the people that believe that there BIBLE is the only thing that is real and everything it says is true, lol get real if you died tomorrow or if i did we wouldn't goto HEAVEN OR HELL.  and DON't say there is cause its in the Bible, There was 1000's of gods what makes your any different nothing its just christinans don't want to think that when there family member dies that, thats the last time they will see them,  I could say that the GOd or the SOn RA is real, but you wouldn't believe me cause the GOD Ra doesn't have a heaven where all the dead people that are saved goto, lol so funny that people still believe that.  LIKE I SAID EARLIER IF THERE WAS NO BIBLE BUT THERE WAS A BOOK THAT SAYS THAT THE EASTER BUNNY IS REAL, BUT YOU NEVER SEEN THE EASTER BUNNY, NOR ANYONE ELSE WOULD YOU BELIEVE THE BOOK,  noooooooo YOU WOULDN'T.  so why should i or anyone else believe in the god in the BOOK CALLED BIBLE.  btw i am not saying i believe in a god called RA i don't believe in any god.

Upvote 0