Nov 4, 2004
✟27,716.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
good question. I would be interested to know that too. I bought Amphora Mellow Blend. I like it, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Got to say I really enjoyed the pipe yesterday. Packed another bowl last night while BBQing. Quite relaxing in the back yard on a nice day.

Upvote 0

Walter Kovacs

Justice is coming, no matter what we do.
Jan 22, 2011
Florida
Visit site
✟10,124.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
The more you smoke the better you'll get at keeping it lit...there's no real technique I can tell you that will helpy you keep it going. Just imagine you have a little fire you need to keep going, thats the best way to think of it. When I first started,, it went out every 5 minutes. Now I can keep it going for almost two hours.

Upvote 0

gord44

Nov 4, 2004
✟27,716.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was it difficult to get burning and keep light?

I watched a youtube video before smoking. If you pack it right it works better. First time I had a few problems, but the second time I realized a mistake earlier and then it was crazy. She stayed lit and smoked like mad.

The technique for packing I used was fill the bowl with tobacco until full then lightly tamp down till about halfway. Then fill it again and tamp down a bit harder till about halfway from the middle to the top. Then fill it again and tamp it down nice and hard. Then take a puff to make sure there is airflow.

My mistake the first time was only packing it half full then packing it then half full again, etc. my problem was that it wasn't packed tight enough so it kept going out. but once it was packed tighter the second time it was so much better.

after its lit just keep a golf tee handy and tamp it down every once in a while. works like a charm :)

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The only pipes I was able to find for $65 or less were Medico, Brigham, Capri and a cob pipe. Any thoughts on these brands?
Medico has been making cheap pipes for a long time. They tend to be of lesser quality than the Dr. Grabow. The others I am not familiar with but there are many pipe manufacturers that produce decent pipes.

As far as tobacco goes I would suggest that you buy small amounts ( some tobacconists will give you a bowl of different tobaccos to try) until you find the one you like best. You may not like what I like so just find the one you do. Each type of tobacco has different attributes such as aroma or taste. Some are more harsh than others and some burn more evenly. Most often pipes tobaccos are a blend in order to bring out the best in each. Tobacco is like wine, it is a matter of taste and preference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Currently reside in Knoxville, TN
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
images